2024 Draft Prospect Discussions

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cole Bishop S Utah 6'2' 207lbs....we all know I really do like Nubin from Minnesota, but the more I watch Bishop the more I'm really liking what I see. Strongly graded safety three straight years. He has the range and hips to cover the field, and his tackling skills for a backend safety are quite good. Utah has him everywhere...even used as a rushing attacker with high rate of success too...7 sacks to his credit in just 2 and a half seasons essentially and 33 credited pressures per PFF. In just five games this year in coverage his guys have went just 4 receptions on 13 targets for 52 yards...2 INTs. Utah isn't usually a defensive powerhouse to look at prospect wise, but don't be surprised to hear or see more folks talking about Bishop as we get past the bowls and he declare for the draft.

I think Cole's testing has me doubling down on this cat. Honestly, Gute and Hafley should grab him as soon as they can...I'm borderline on him Day1 but at 41 I'm raising a glass of whiskey and toasting him if we pick him. There isn't a box he doesn't check in what Packers like, in what we need and what he can do. He was in my original three group of safeties I really liked and man I'm hoping I'm right.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think Cole's testing has me doubling down on this cat. Honestly, Gute and Hafley should grab him as soon as they can...I'm borderline on him Day1 but at 41 I'm raising a glass of whiskey and toasting him if we pick him. There isn't a box he doesn't check in what Packers like, in what we need and what he can do. He was in my original three group of safeties I really liked and man I'm hoping I'm right.
Wow. I had to look him up. Prior to the combine, it seems he was being viewed as a mid round pick. Now I see articles that say he possibly moved himself up into the 1st round. I guess I don't follow the combine closely enough, but does success there typically translate to success on the field?

In watching some film on Bishop, he totally reminds me of Badger S Hunter Wohler, they are even the same size. A nose for the football, and a motor that never quits. As I said about Wohler for the 2025 draft, if Bishop hits the weight room, he could have a very good NFL career.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. I had to look him up. Prior to the combine, it seems he was being viewed as a mid round pick. Now I see articles that say he possibly moved himself up into the 1st round. I guess I don't follow the combine closely enough, but does success there typically translate to success on the field?

In watching some film on Bishop, he totally reminds me of Badger S Hunter Wohler, they are even the same size. A nose for the football, and a motor that never quits. As I said about Wohler for the 2025 draft, if Bishop hits the weight room, he could have a very good NFL career.

He was never lower than my safety 4 typically - since that post in October. His tape will win people over in a BIG way. His testing made me think he's even better than I thought!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He was never lower than my safety 4 typically - since that post in October. His tape will win people over in a BIG way. His testing made me think he's even better than I thought!
I like to watch interviews with players. Gives me a sense of who they are, their way of thinking and intelligence for the game/their team, etc. Bishop interviews well, seems like an intelligent, well grounded guy.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bishop was used all over the place but had a lot of snaps closer to the LOS. I liked him a lot before the combine and there's no doubt he's an elite athlete. If Gute takes him in the second round it wouldn't surprise me if he goes out and signs a deep safety in free agency. I doubt Biship will fall after his combine performance all the way to the back round 3 where the Packers pick. I hope he's still there at 57.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So....no detail reports as of now, BUT some guys I think will be Day1 or early Day2 guys that I think Green Bay may like or want:

Joe Alt OT Notre Dame 6'8' 315lbs
Not gonna lie, some may find it odd to see a tackle as a potential Day1 type here, given Tom / Jenkins and Walker all getting praise this year...and who knows yet if Yosh returns or not for 2024. HOWEVER, live with me in a world where Yosh walks to a team that pays him to start for sure at RT or LT....Bakh is finally released and Tom at some point in 2023 shows signs of being an excellent to all pro level Center or RT. Why mess with that? Leave Jenkins where he is, Runyan likely proves he is more than capable and Tom is either your Center or RT of the future.....enter Joe Alt. This young man is a STUD. I expect he tests VERY well given that some of his most impressive traits are lateral quickness and athleticism (past Tight End and basketball stud)...the only thing I see he needs work on his hand technique, and with that the issue of letting guys get into his chest sometimes will go away...his arm length appears to be more than enough and something we all know is an indicator of top level success. I envision Alt can come in and serve as a team's LT in his rookie year personally and is why he is on this VERY early list.

Brock Bowers TE Georgia 6'4' 230lbs
Look, this is protective in part...other part is I JUST FREAKING LOVE THIS PROSPECT. Bowers to me would be the absolute incredible compliment to Musgrave IF Kraft doesn't appear to illustrate clicking in the future. Bowers is a stud, and one of the most productive and beastly TEs in a while.

Sedrick Van-Pran iOL Georgia 6'4' 310lbs
I'm not one to want to use Day1 capital on an iOL but Day2 let's go when they're special. Sedrick is a STUD, and last two years played center for one of the best teams in the nation. If Myers days are done after this year, and Tom is not going to be center in 2024 - getting us a first year starter at Center IMO is a must acquire for Gute either through the draft or FA....and you can do far far worse than Van-Pran if you look to the draft.

Rome Odunze WR Washington 6'3' 215lbs
For his size, his mixture of speed and footwork made me want us to grab him last year.....he didn't declare. This year he for sure will I'd think and he is absolutely a guy that early in Day 2 if he has made it there I don't care how good Watson / Doubs and Reed illustrate YOU GET THIS DUDE. Just big play maker for the Huskies and started the year off with 7 receptions / 132 yards and a TD....after last year putting up 1,145 yards and 7 TDs on 75 receptions.

Max Melton CB Rutgers 6'0' 190lbs
Melton, yes he is the brother of Bo, is for me that guy I feel many are overlooking and yet is a very solid all around CB that I see transitioning to the next level very well. His hips, long speed and short range quickness jump off the film - his tape against Ohio State was something I've not seen much of. A gleaming Day 2 CB prospect that depending on Stokes health, Rasul future and/or if Valentine is the real deal may be a sneaky need this team could be facing. Over the last two seasons this young man put together 58 tackles / 5 INTs / 15 PDs / 2 FRs and even one TD. Started this year off against Northwestern with a pick and a PD already... Look out for Melton, if his testing goes well and he produces as I predict he will - he will get some Day 1 consideration by some scouts I bet.

DJ James CB Auburn 6'1' 170lbs
If asked who is that 3rd round type CB that might shock people, absolutely shock people in three years with what they have....my response is a 'bean stalk' built CB out of Auburn - DJ James is the name. Yes strength is an issue and you do not want him going against big massive WR types or split out big TEs....well maybe. Don't let the size of the dog, tell you the fight or ability in the dog. If he was a bit better built and actually had more ball production I strongly think James could be in the discussion as a Top 3 or 4 CB if he continues to deliver at Auburn. Keep an eye on James....could end up being that 60-100 pick that shines massively for a team.
I'm gonna jump back in here and say the one time I saw Van Pran he proved himself to be a heads up player. He himself on a botched snap picked up the ball and ran 7 yards for a first down. I would loved to have him as Myers replacement.

Reaction score
Fantastic combine. Great speed
great explosion. Bishop really helped himself there
That other Utah kid Vaki tested pretty darn good also. Edged out Cole in the Vertical and Long (explosive) But Cole smoked Vaki in the Speed drills

Just go ahead and get both :whistling:

Last edited:

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know he hit it big on workouts and the RAS, but I suspect his Wonderlic is going to balance that out a bit.....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kamren Kinchens Miami (FL) 6'0' 200lbs
Now reported weight is from 198-205lbs - but his frame is solid enough I figured more...but he is also listed 5'11' some places and 6 foot others...either way fellas this dude is a DAWG. 2022 was his HELLO season for everyone putting up 6 INTS (1TD), 59 tackles and 5 PDs. THE BEST PFF GRADE OF FREAKING 90.0 (Coverage grade of 90.7). He didn't miss tackles, he didn't miss coverage assignments and he made big time plays. He has some of the best hips I've seen in this class able to sink down and attack, accellerate in backpedal and even swing his hips while exploding (unless a 180 switch then his elite transition becomes above average). Eye discipline and not biting on unders at the cost of overs is the only part I see that needs polishing but I love what this young man is. Day2 level type IMO...remember its early.
Any reason why he tested so poorly at the combine - like a 4.85 40? I'm not a fan of the combine as a huge factor in draft selection. When a guy falls this far though, it's a concern. Even so, I'd be happy with Kinchens or DeJean. DeJean is probably the better all around athlete. Kinchens is a pure safety.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm gonna jump back in here and say the one time I saw Van Pran he proved himself to be a heads up player. He himself on a botched snap picked up the ball and ran 7 yards for a first down. I would loved to have him as Myers replacement.
With the improved play of Walker, maybe Gluten uses a first rounder on a C rather than Tackle. Myers just hasn't worked out and is the weakest link in an otherwise solid line.

I think the need at S is so great that it dictates a first round pick, depending of course on who is there at #25. The Safety cupboard is bare in GB, so I expect a first round pick and a FA signing. And a solid S pair makes the CB job a little easier, esp in zone.

FWIW, my draft order for the first 5 is S, OT/iOL, RB, Edge, CB.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any reason why he tested so poorly at the combine - like a 4.85 40? I'm not a fan of the combine as a huge factor in draft selection. When a guy falls this far though, it's a concern. Even so, I'd be happy with Kinchens or DeJean. DeJean is probably the better all around athlete. Kinchens is a pure safety.

Kinchens for sure took the top spot on my history of watching film that the game film and how they tested are polar polar opposites of each other.

Was he battling an illness, injury or is he just a terrible athlete but a good football player (very rare...but does happen some).

Kinchens befuddles me now...and I'm holding off my final cemented grade on him until his pro day or if we learn anything new. I cannot imagine his camp knew he was going to test that bad and then still let him test. Come up with "nagging injury" excuse or such.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know he hit it big on workouts and the RAS, but I suspect his Wonderlic is going to balance that out a bit.....

Looks like the Jets found their 1st rounder at pick #10, he and A-Rod will have stimulating conversations.

Tyler Owens will probably have a higher score on his RAS than his Wonderlic.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kinchens for sure took the top spot on my history of watching film that the game film and how they tested are polar polar opposites of each other.

Was he battling an illness, injury or is he just a terrible athlete but a good football player (very rare...but does happen some).

Kinchens befuddles me now...and I'm holding off my final cemented grade on him until his pro day or if we learn anything new. I cannot imagine his camp knew he was going to test that bad and then still let him test. Come up with "nagging injury" excuse or such.
It really is weird. His body of work suggests his RAS is some kind of fluke. S isn’t strong in this draft so if he was sick, he should have skipped it.

He’ll have to up his game come pro days/onsite interviews. I’m still hoping they get Kinchens or DeJean and get a guy like Winfield Jr in FA.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

What was Winfield's numbers at his combine?

Reaction score

I’m not sure which religion that would be. But Christianity and Islam both follow the planetary theory and it aligns with science, except the big bang theory which there’s absolutely zero evidence of (purely speculation and hypothesis which is fancy name for “I guessed”) Now I’m not sure about the whole Earth is flat thing but I 100% know that humans knew the Earth was a round sphere at minimum 4,000+ years ago (contrary to what we were made to believe in school that the general consensus thought it was flat). He might want to stick to football for now :laugh:

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Kitchens wouldn't be the first guy who's a poor athlete but a good football player. That might work in the ACC but won't cut it in the NFL. Can't imagine he went and tested if he was hurt. Wouldn't make any sense. He'll need to light it up at a pro day or he's looking at being a 7th round draft choice with that atrocious 40 time at the combine.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With such a deep draft at O line, the Packers will likely have a very good player available at pick 25. While Gute likes to find gems in the middle rounds, I think it makes sense to go O line in round 1. Protecting Love should be the team's highest priority! Unless Love is running for his life, I would expect him continue his play from the last 10 weeks of the season. If Cooper Dejean falls to GB, then pick 41 could still net a good player at the O line.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With such a deep draft at O line, the Packers will likely have a very good player available at pick 25. While Gute likes to find gems in the middle rounds, I think it makes sense to go O line in round 1. Protecting Love should be the team's highest priority! Unless Love is running for his life, I would expect him continue his play from the last 10 weeks of the season. If Cooper Dejean falls to GB, then pick 41 could still net a good player at the O line.
Well said. I'd like Gluten to start filling the huge hole at safety via FA. Then use the first pick, as you suggest, on the O line - with a lot of solid players available to pick from.

If they had a solid player already at S, then they might take a guy like DeJean, and they should certainly take him if he's there at 41 (doubtful). But the safety group has no leader, and it's unrealistic to expect that from the draft, even in the first round. Anyway, use FA to get a solid S, use the first draft pick on the O line. Those two moves alone would significantly improve an already good team, and they'd still have four picks in rounds 2 and 3.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like him at #41 if they get a solid S out of FA first, maybe Winfield Jr?

Normally I'm not a big fan of FA, but the safety group has no one. It's not realistic to expect a rookie(s) to dramatically change the group. So spend some money on a known player and add another with a high draft pick. Use round 1 on the O line where there is a wealth of talent in the draft.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, about what I expected. Some guys are just great instinctive football players. Safety is a heckuva good place to have that type of guy.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kitchens wouldn't be the first guy who's a poor athlete but a good football player. That might work in the ACC but won't cut it in the NFL. Can't imagine he went and tested if he was hurt. Wouldn't make any sense. He'll need to light it up at a pro day or he's looking at being a 7th round draft choice with that atrocious 40 time at the combine.
Honestly his forty time isn't even the biggest thing to me. His broad was something this old fat and past prime past athlete could come close to....that's crazy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Honestly his forty time isn't even the biggest thing to me. His broad was something this old fat and past prime past athlete could come close to....that's crazy.
I hope the Packers steer clear of Kinchens. His coverage skills are not very good, he had an unimpressive QB rating when targeted of 115.9. He plays aggressive, which in the college game can work, but given that he isn't a sure tackler, that could cost him in the NFL. We got rid of Savage, don't need another one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts