He is who he is

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You didn’t give him the reigns to anything though…you handed him a strand of twine, tied around a fowl that was just born and the momma left before it was weened. LOL

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is almost right now apparently that we need a veteran at TE and a veteran at WR just to school these younger guys and give them some confidence. It would even help Love. It will not solve all the problems. Right now I would say No One on our offense can make the Pro Bowl
Maybe the punter? He seems to be out there every 4th offensive snap.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You didn’t give him the reigns to anything though…you handed him a strand of twine, tied around a fowl that was just born and the momma left before it was weened. LOL
Last year with better offensive talent they went 8 and 9 and 21.7 points a game and missed playoffs..majority of people blaming everyone but Rodgers.

This year. Majority blaming Love

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not necessarily them. But even Jimmy Graham can catch a ball right to him and you will not outright him gor a pass.

My desire for veteran has nothing to do with the point of catch, but EVERYTHING to do all the week before the game and knowing the dang plays.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
How would you respond?
Too many 3 WR sets imo. That position group and the TE's are the weakest positions on the team. LaFleur needs to establish the running game even if it means showing 6 OL looks early in the game and keep the yard marker moving forward to keep Love in manageable situations and control field position and clock. After the first three games he's gotten much worse at this aspect of game management imo. He's letting games get away from him. In his defense, his veteran players haven't done him any favors either. They've been mucking things up on both sides of the ball far too much. Actually, the special teams play has for the most part looked more professional than any other aspect of this team. Kudos to Bisaccia.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too many 3 WR sets imo. That position group and the TE's are the weakest positions on the team. LaFleur needs to establish the running game even if it means showing 6 OL looks early in the game and keep the yard marker moving forward to keep Love in manageable situations and control field position and clock. After the first three games he's gotten much worse at this aspect of game management imo. He's letting games get away from him. In his defense, his veteran players haven't done him any favors either. They've been mucking things up on both sides of the ball far too much. Actually, the special teams play has for the most part looked more professional than any other aspect of this team. Kudos to Bisaccia.
Frankly, considering the offensive woes (which I think we all expected before the season ever started) the defense hasn't been that bad.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Frankly, considering the offensive woes (which I think we all expected before the season ever started) the defense hasn't been that bad.
agree as a whole. But the injuries to Campbell and Alexander and Gary's limited snap count has kept them from being a stellar unit. The stupid penalties from veterans hasn't helped matters any.

ClutchLove

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year with better offensive talent they went 8 and 9 and 21.7 points a game and missed playoffs..majority of people blaming everyone but Rodgers.

This year. Majority blaming Love
Jordan hasn't played well..

But man... this OL and the WR corp is just NOT good...blame it on youth for sure, but this isn't a super talented, polished team yet

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watson needs a jiu jitsu class or army boot camp, use your body..fight for the ball. I hoping we hear pickens named called in that second round. Watson is just fine china.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The whole point of drafting Love when we did was so that he would be groomed and ready to take over the reigns once Rodgers was gone.
What does that mean to you, being "groomed and ready to go?" We drafted a late-1st round QB in Love. We knew that he wasn't ready to play his rookie year. To me the "groomed" part is that he knows the playbook and isn't intimidated by the game. Were you expecting more?

I think that he was ready to play this year. He knows the offense but now has to learn how to put it all together with the tools that he has around him. We did not draft CJ Stroud. This is about what I expected in his first year of playing. Yes I hoped for more growth by this point, but I certainly felt like this could be an ugly year.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What does that mean to you, being "groomed and ready to go?" We drafted a late-1st round QB in Love. We knew that he wasn't ready to play his rookie year. To me the "groomed" part is that he knows the playbook and isn't intimidated by the game. Were you expecting more?

I think that he was ready to play this year. He knows the offense but now has to learn how to put it all together with the tools that he has around him. We did not draft CJ Stroud. This is about what I expected in his first year of playing. Yes I hoped for more growth by this point, but I certainly felt like this could be an ugly year.
Exactly. We saw QBs who were farther up the curve when they were in year 1 or 2. E.G
Brunell, Hasselbeck, Flynn. And they certainly were not 1sr rounders.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something about this seems wrong when you've got a struggling passing attack. We attempted 41 passes yesterday officially, but I don't believe that any of Love's rushing yards were designed runs. Therefore we really called 45 passing plays to 13 running plays. THAT is what is wrong with our offense when I have to boil it down to one thing. We have rookies and second year guys catching the ball, but veterans running it.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The Aaron Jones stats for the last two games are cringe-worthy if he truly is healthy.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

When we made the conscious decision to eschew investing and making a push to go all-in on the tail-end of Rodgers’ prime for favor of trading up to draft a guy many had labeled as a “project” QB, I expected that after three years of “development” he wouldn’t be in the conversation for “worst QBs in the league” after half a season.

Maybe that makes me unrealistic or naive or just spoiled by success, but yeah, I expected more (and if we’re being honest I think Gute and co tried to sell us on “more,” too)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair in the world of draft equity the trade up to get him really wasn't a massive one.

I say that because I still remember just absolutely blowing up the shoutbox at the time and my text groups with HOW CHEAP we'd just traded for Michael Pittman - who was my #1 WR in that class. I was baffled at how cheap it was IMO.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair in the world of draft equity the trade up to get him really wasn't a massive one.

I say that because I still remember just absolutely blowing up the shoutbox at the time and my text groups with HOW CHEAP we'd just traded for Michael Pittman - who was my #1 WR in that class. I was baffled at how cheap it was IMO.
Yes it’s not so much about the “price” but rather the “intent” if that makes sense.

It would be one thing to have approached the draft with the mindset of “let’s plan on reinforcing the team, but if a too-good-to-pass-up deal falls our way, we’ll take it” (like Rodgers falling to us in the first place) but another thing to go out of your way to pursue your replacement. That’s what I mean by “conscious decision” - that the team made an intentional decision to start the replacement process rather than invest in the current window (which of course left us in a weird limbo for a few years, as we all know. But that’s not really the matter here).

Anyways I say all that to illustrate that the point isn’t about how much Love “cost” (at least not in a draft equity sense) but that the club was very much convinced that he was their guy, went out of their way to get him (electing to prioritize the future, arguably at the expense of the present) and now four years later seemingly find ourselves still not entirely sure if he’s the going to be that guy for us or not.

Ultimately I think the bottom line is that if you asked Gute and Co if this is what they thought they’d have four years after drafting Love, if they’re being honest there’s no way they’d say they drafted him with this expectation in mind. And that doesn’t mean that’s all Love’s fault, but point being that I’m 100% Gute and LaFleur had higher expectations for where we’d be under Love right now so I don’t think it’s unreasonable for fans to have higher expectations, too.

tripleguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love is showing he doesn't throw a great deep ball. The side arm passes are way to frequent. There is no need on many to chuck side arm. Is he trying to be Mahomes, Rodgers?

The thing I can't stand are the balloon balls out in the flat. They are screaming pick 6 and one of these times it will happen. Stand tall and just throw it where it needs to be. That hang time isn't helping the receiver.

3 years of practice and scrimmage and studying under a HOF QB. I'm not impressed this far.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some might say that MLF has established that the run game is nonexistant.
And I know you had to see thar play which Jonathan Vilma hollered about yesterday. 3rd and 1 and no one blocks the nose tackle at all. I mean do you even have to coach that? That is a given even before HS football. And the nose tackle had to be surprised. A couple years ago I saw that on one of Crosby's FG tries in KC. It was like door's open come on in. Cost us 3 big points in a close game.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
When we made the conscious decision to eschew investing and making a push to go all-in on the tail-end of Rodgers’ prime for favor of trading up to draft a guy many had labeled as a “project” QB, I expected that after three years of “development” he wouldn’t be in the conversation for “worst QBs in the league” after half a season.

Maybe that makes me unrealistic or naive or just spoiled by success, but yeah, I expected more (and if we’re being honest I think Gute and co tried to sell us on “more,” too)
Hof Kurt Warner hasn’t said he is worse. even rodgers hasn’t said that

colon cowherd isn’t a viable trust or a ton of the others

ill go by what nfl qb say

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hof Kurt Warner hasn’t said he is worse. even rodgers hasn’t said that

colon cowherd isn’t a viable trust or a ton of the others

ill go by what nfl qb say
Yes, that’s a perfectly valid opinion to hold.

Care to make a list of QBs who are currently playing worse than Love?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love is tied for the most interceptions, has the worst completion percentage, has the second worst passed rating among starters and is bottom 5 in yards passing. So far, it's been a disastrous performance. While nobody expected him to shine, being at the bottom with Zac Wilson wasn't expected The question now is: How many more games does he play at this level before he is deemed a bust? I say it's too early. He should get the rest of the season to show whether he can be an NFL qb. So far the verdict is a resounding no.

Reaction score
And now somehow that narrative has shifted from “he’ll sit for a few years and develop” to “he hasn’t played that many actually games so he’s basically a rookie still and needs time” or whatever.
I’m going to defend Love. Not just because he’s a Packer. Of course I want him to do well but I’m not basing my opinion as a whole on that. I watched Trevor Lawrence coming in as an Heisman Trophy candidate. He was dominant in his 40 College starts. Yet the NFL is another animal. No amount of book study can prepare you for live game action.
Trevor learned this fact very quickly and every possible stat he posted in college sunk in live Pro games. It wasn’t until he had a full body of work in 2021 that we saw how hard it is to adjust.
59.6 completions
12 TD
17 INT

Where would that rank in 2023?
Last that’s where

While I appreciate everyone being excited, even a #1 overall draft pick with a somewhat limited 40 College starts across 3 seasons (to Loves’ 32 starts across just 2.5 seasons) is not immune to needing on the job training. It’s part of learning the business of QB play and different athletes learn at different paces.

Love and Lawrence are exactly 1 yard difference per game passing in their first seasons (2021 vs 2023) Near identical. That doesn’t mean Love is Lawrence, but it’s very recent proof that the QB position is not immune to starting slow and building on a foundation.

Last edited: