He is who he is

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the staff to adapt their practice sessions, game plans/schemes, and play calls to be more oriented to the players they've got. Not an Xs and Os guy, but if they can't make some adjustments, I'd have to wonder what the point of having coaches is in the first place.

Reaction score
Amen. It’s kinda human nature to get caught up in the moment (which is current struggles) we all do that. We all actually predicted a major step back (except for Amish 13 wins or whatever :roflmao:)

Although I still don’t agree with Rodelle on that Love somehow got worse last week. Had we been 3rd
n 10 at the Denver 44 there’s a really good chance he throws a 5-10 pass underneath that gives us a slight chance at a 1st or a long FG and a good stat line.

I fully realize it didn’t work out that way but that penalty on the previous play hurt us tremendously. That penalty was not his fault.

Even with the result of his INT he had a 91% Passer rating which was NOT a regression. If Love played that way every week? extrapolated?
3,060 yards
68% comp
34 TD
17 TD
0-17

I think we can justifiable argue (without getting subjective) that Love wouldn’t be the main problem in that Win-Loss scenario

Last edited:

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre had Holmgren early on to keep him in check. I‘m afraid Lefleur just doesn’t have that in him.
This is why I hope Clements can help Love like he molded Rodgers back in the day. Love will never be AR but he can be pretty darn good if his bad habits can be overcome.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the staff to adapt their practice sessions, game plans/schemes, and play calls to be more oriented to the players they've got. Not an Xs and Os guy, but if they can't make some adjustments, I'd have to wonder what the point of having coaches is in the first place.
Perhaps the coaching staff should implement the KISS method - keep it simple stupid. With so many young players keeping it basic and have them executing that better could do wonders for this offense.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amen. It’s kinda human nature to get caught up in the moment (which is current struggles) we all do that. We all actually predicted a major step back (except for Amish 13 wins or whatever :roflmao:)

Although I still don’t agree with Rodelle on that Love somehow got worse last week. Had we been 3rd
n 10 at the Denver 44 there’s a really good chance he throws a 5-10 pass underneath that gives us a slight chance at a 1st or a long FG and a good stat line.

I fully realize it didn’t work out that way but that penalty on the previous play hurt us tremendously. That penalty was not his fault.

Even with the result of his INT he had a 91% Passer rating which was NOT a regression. If Love played that way every week? extrapolated?
3,060 yards
68% comp
34 TD
17 TD
0-17

I think we can justifiable argue (without getting subjective) that Love wouldn’t be the main problem in that Win-Loss scenario
Unfortunately the QB gets too much blame when things go south and too much credit when the team wins.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps the coaching staff should implement the KISS method - keep it simple stupid. With so many young players keeping it basic and have them executing that better could do wonders for this offense.
Why not? Lombardi had a very uncomplicated offense. It was even simpler than other teams for ITS time. But he focused on execution all through the practice week.. He practiced these fundamental plays over and over until they were blue in the face. And he developed players that were made for his offense. And as they improved and matured he gave them options off those basic plays. And thus they became a well oiled machine. Not a fancy one.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's still too early for me to call Love a bust or say he's not the guy. I AM starting to get pissed off about the deep ball accuracy issues. I think we all agree that by this team next year we have to know about Love so that we can give Clifford about half of a season to see if he's the guy or whether we need a QB in 2025.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's still too early for me to call Love a bust or say he's not the guy. I AM starting to get pissed off about the deep ball accuracy issues. I think we all agree that by this team next year we have to know about Love so that we can give Clifford about half of a season to see if he's the guy or whether we need a QB in 2025.
Clifford may get some PT this season. Teams that are out of it will give backups a shot. I just hope it would not be due to injury. We do not have much to lose.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with the Packers is that they are so short-handed every week, it's tough to evaluate Love. The ridiculous number of non contact injuries with this team speaks to inept leadership. No surprise that with few exceptions, there is very little progress made by their young players. While they flash here or there, the core young players have looked lost and regressing. Wyat, Watson, Van Ness, Musgrave, Walker, Love don't appear to be getting better as the season goes on. The team is poorly coached and it shows up in myriad ways, especially in the lack of progress with the team's young core. Will that change this week vs. The Vikings? I expect MFL to again be a deer in the headlights as his offense sputters and puts them in a deep hole.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I expect MFL to again be a deer in the headlights as his offense sputters and puts them in a deep hole.
What would you look like if your wide open TE drops a pass in the flat on 3&5 or your RB stumbles in the hole and comes up 1/2 yard short on 3rd down on a play my old retirement aged butt could have gotten 10 yards?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with the Packers is that they are so short-handed every week, it's tough to evaluate Love. The ridiculous number of non contact injuries with this team speaks to inept leadership. No surprise that with few exceptions, there is very little progress made by their young players. While they flash here or there, the core young players have looked lost and regressing. Wyat, Watson, Van Ness, Musgrave, Walker, Love don't appear to be getting better as the season goes on. The team is poorly coached and it shows up in myriad ways, especially in the lack of progress with the team's young core. Will that change this week vs. The Vikings? I expect MFL to again be a deer in the headlights as his offense sputters and puts them in a deep hole.
Well, Kirk Cousins may have got the worst non contact today. But overall I see a team that plays with energy but gets too emotional and then plays dumb. I see a lot of schoolyard play even when it helps us. Mentally, the concentration goes back and forth. The fundamentals are terrible. 10-12 penalties in a game is unacceptable. This team has some talent but their coaching is atrocious. Love should be farther down the curve than he is.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love is not getting much help from the offense around him. The OL has been mediocre. His WRs are young and have the drops all the time it seems. The playcalling is atrocious.

With all that considered I still think the bottom line is that Love is not nearly far along enough and has not nearly shown what should be expected of a future franchise QB.

I really like Love as a guy and I wanted it to work out. And we don’t make decisions based on “gut feelings” (much less the gut feelings of random forum users online) but I think if you had to ask me my gut read - will Love ever be “the guy” for us? I think that’s an easy no right now, unfortunately.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love is throwing almost everything underneath. Is that play calling or doesn't he trust himself to go beyond 15-20 very often? Play around him is bad with way too many penalties and drops. That said, why no deep passes to Watson just to keep the defense honest? Packers are flat, undisciplined with terrible play calling. MFL appears to be clueless. One bad game us understandable but their offense is atrocious.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love is not getting much help from the offense around him. The OL has been mediocre. His WRs are young and have the drops all the time it seems. The playcalling is atrocious.

With all that considered I still think the bottom line is that Love is not nearly far along enough and has not nearly shown what should be expected of a future franchise QB.

I really like Love as a guy and I wanted it to work out. And we don’t make decisions based on “gut feelings” (much less the gut feelings of random forum users online) but I think if you had to ask me my gut read - will Love ever be “the guy” for us? I think that’s an easy no right now, unfortunately.
It was as if you took exactly what I wanted to say and posted it. I was angrier about today's loss than any of the others even though the Vikings should have beaten us by 25. The Vikings gave us a gift horse in the mouth and we spit it out. As bad as we played we could have won this game. Minnesota misses a FG on a 4th and 1. They commit 2 critical penalties to help us get our 1st TD. Just when they can ice the game their franchise QB loses his footing and injures his ankle. We block a FG that would have iced it and get the ball on the 45 and still find a way not to score. Then their rookie QB who never played before fumbles and gives us the ball one throw from the end zone. And we do not score. Even a garbage time TD was impossible. The team is so undisciplined, so unprepared, and lacking confidence. 10 penalties a game? Drop balls that you catch in HS. And Love is looking like he is 2 years behind where a 4th year QB should be. LaFleur is frustrated but he does not know how to coach young players. He does not know how to hold them accountable. And something between Monday and Sunday is not happening. One fan at a game turned to me and said, " Do we even practice? "

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And what I find perhaps most troubling (it’s hard to narrow it to one thing) but it seems like many are forgetting that the WHOLE THING we were sold on Love was basically “he’ll be able to learn under Rodgers for a few years and get to grow and develop in that time” or “He won’t have the same kind of pressure to immediately perform that a starting rookie would” or so on. Basically the idea was that he’d sit for a few years and come out much more developed for it than a “typical” rookie.

And now somehow that narrative has shifted from “he’ll sit for a few years and develop” to “he hasn’t played that many actually games so he’s basically a rookie still and needs time” or whatever.

So then it’s either:
A.) Love hasn’t lived up to those expectations (learn/develop under Rodgers, come in more mature and ready to take over the reigns)
Or B.) Gute and Co lied to us about the pick and many took it hook, line, and sinker.

How many true rookie QBs look better/ahead/more “pro-ready” than Love does this year? How many in the time since he’s been drafted? Is Love in a worse situation than ALL of them?

I’m not expecting him to be perfect, I admit it’s not an ideal situation right now, and I knew there’d be growing pains, but at this point the bottom line is that I simply can’t take serious anyone claiming “this is going as expected” or “he’s right on track” or “we couldn’t have really expected any more out of him considering the circumstances” or etc.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or it’s the truth, all of the following are massive issues and make this team where they are:

Terrible OL play

Players literally not doing the proper calls, routes or schemes.

Love struggling with deep ball especially

MLF having zero ability outside of two minute style offense doing ANYTHING

A defense that gives up massively depressing drives where “success” is measured by their kicker gets the last word.

Terrible OL play.

Literally zero healthy veterans for the offensive side of the ball to help with all the growing pains.

Terrible OL play.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or it’s the truth, all of the following are massive issues and make this team where they are:

Terrible OL play

A defense that gives up massively depressing drives where “success” is measured by their kicker gets the last word.

Terrible OL play.

Literally zero healthy veterans for the offensive side of the ball to help with all the growing pains.

Terrible OL play.
It is almost right now apparently that we need a veteran at TE and a veteran at WR just to school these younger guys and give them some confidence. It would even help Love. It will not solve all the problems. Right now I would say No One on our offense can make the Pro Bowl

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is almost right now apparently that we need a veteran at TE and a veteran at WR just to school these younger guys and give them some confidence. It would even help Love. It will not solve all the problems. Right now I would say No One on our offense can make the Pro Bowl
I would kill to have Lazard and Lewis back.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not sold on Love at all yet, but Rodgers had a vastly superior cast of WRs during his first season. Driver, Jennings, Jones, etc.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Terrible OL play

Terrible OL play.

Terrible OL play.
Doesn’t have to be one or the other.

All of these things can be true (and I believe they largely are) AND we can still say that Love has underperformed/not lived up to expectations/whatever you want to call it.

Anyone who says “This is exactly where I expected Love to be in his development halfway through his fourth year in the league” is either lying to you, lying to themselves, or both.

Again: is Love in a uniquely bad situation? Have other *true* rookies shown more progress/success/development in similarly less-than-ideal situations? Has Love lived up to what we were being sold on years ago (as above: he’ll sit behind Rodgers, learn from a hall of fame QB, master LaFleur’s offense and hit the ground running once Rodgers is gone. The whole point of drafting Love when we did was so that he would be groomed and ready to take over the reigns once Rodgers was gone. I feel like that cannot be overstated. We spent the last three years unsure of what we had, hedged our bets on a one-year extension, and now are still not sure what we have. This was not the way it was supposed to go and I simply cannot believe we have people here talking like this was to be expected or that we shouldn’t be worried about Love right now.