Who is our #2 RB this year?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Well if Dillon does make it on to the final roster, MLF hints at using him in other ways. Now keep in mind, I think he said the same thing about Nixon last year. I remember Nixon coming in on offense only once last year, running the ball against the Saints, but that was it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if Dillon does make it on to the final roster, MLF hints at using him in other ways. Now keep in mind, I think he said the same thing about Nixon last year. I remember Nixon coming in on offense only once last year, running the ball against the Saints, but that was it.

It does beg the question - how else could Dillon be used? I can't imagine what that could be. Kicker? Getting MLF a cold drink on a hot day, or vice versa?

Sounds more like MLF trying to get rid of a reporter and failing.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
It does beg the question - how else could Dillon be used? I can't imagine what that could be. Kicker? Getting MLF a cold drink on a hot day, or vice versa?

Sounds more like MLF trying to get rid of a reporter and failing.
Take over some of the Deguara HB role? 2 back sets with Jacobs? It will be interesting to see if it wasn't just a bunch of smoke n' mirrors.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take over some of the Deguara HB role? 2 back sets with Jacobs? It will be interesting to see if it wasn't just a bunch of smoke n' mirrors.
Good points. I forgot what Deguara did because he did so little. But Dillon certainly could play FB, and we already know he can pass block - so line him up with Jacobs and the RPO becomes that much better and does give MLF some options. Hell play him like an in-line TE for added protection on passes and to hold the edge better. That also frees up Musgrave and Kraft to do their thing catching the ball.

Now if he can kick PATs consistently, so much the better!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think LaFleur was talking about Dillon taking over the Deguara role. Which, of course is yet to be seen if he can. And so I think drafting a guy for that particular position makes sense.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think LaFleur was talking about Dillon taking over the Deguara role. Which, of course is yet to be seen if he can.
Catch a pass every other game, make and miss some blocks, problem solved, Deguara has been replaced. ;)

I hope the Packers are looking to IMPROVE on this so called H-back role, that Deguara was supposedly playing. Deguara wasn't a threat, no matter where the Packers lined him up.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO if the Pack go RB early Shipley is my favorite. If they go RB late I like D. Johnson. IM unexpert O.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was my thought, too. In the space of 5 seconds, with a single sentence, Lafleur has half the defensive coordinators in the NFL chewing their fingernails and trying to figure out what ingenious new schemes he's dreamd up to make a guy like Dillon a brand new threat.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was my thought, too. In the space of 5 seconds, with a single sentence, Lafleur has half the defensive coordinators in the NFL chewing their fingernails and trying to figure out what ingenious new schemes he's dreamd up to make a guy like Dillon a brand new threat.
Matt has talked about using a two back set since he got to GB, but hasn't done it yet more than a handful of times. I don't know what his intent is, but I don't think it includes drafting a fullback type, because, as stated by some, DeGuara can fill that role if pressed into it, and if he gets it through his head how to leverage his blocks. He tries to make them too upright.

I think the combo we have now, after the signing of Jacobs, is pretty solid, but don't rule out someone being drafted as early as the 4th round, who could develop into a decent runner after a year's experience. Probably someone with a bit of speed, with size, and cutting ability. That's what Dillon lacks. His cuts are not quite good enough.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
as stated by some, DeGuara can fill that role if pressed into it, and if he gets it through his head how to leverage his blocks. He tries to make them too upright.
Deguara is no longer with the Packers, he was a FA and the Jaguars signed him.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deguara is no longer with the Packers, he was a FA and the Jaguars signed him.
Ouch! That's right! Brain farxt! I guess they're going to have to find someone in their depth chart, a FA, or a draft pick to fill that role.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ouch! That's right! Brain farxt! I guess they're going to have to find someone in their depth chart, a FA, or a draft pick to fill that role.
They still should target a true H Back type but MLF has already hinted at this role is likely Dillon’s or a chance at for sure.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They still should target a true H Back type but MLF has already hinted at this role is likely Dillon’s or a chance at for sure.
It just makes sense to give Dillon the chance. He's certainly strong enough. He has really paid for having an off year in 23. I don't ever remember him as a star, but seemed like most of '20, '21, 22 he was productive. Hopefully he returns to form.

I still see the Packers taking two RBs, maybe a true HB early and a true FB later. Nice problem to have.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It just makes sense to give Dillon the chance. He's certainly strong enough. He has really paid for having an off year in 23. I don't ever remember him as a star, but seemed like most of '20, '21, 22 he was productive. Hopefully he returns to form.

I still see the Packers taking two RBs, maybe a true HB early and a true FB later. Nice problem to have.

His rookie year it's unfair as he had limited snaps but last three seasons his yard per attempt has continue to decline steadily:

2021 - 4.3
2022 - 4.1
2023 - 3.4

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His rookie year it's unfair as he had limited snaps but last three seasons his yard per attempt has continue to decline steadily:

2021 - 4.3
2022 - 4.1
2023 - 3.4
Thanks for the history Ty. I forgot about his first year. And yeah, this is certainly a solid track record of declining performance. Can't blame it on the O line either.

I remember him having a huge game against the Titans in the snow in GB one year, like 120 plus yds. Usually, seemed like he was good for anywhere from 30 to 60 yards/game. Assuming Jacobs can take more snaps than Jones (a pretty safe bet), then moving Dillon to FB is a good idea. I'm also assuming he'd be pretty easy to replace in the draft with a FB, if there is one.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Can't blame it on the O line either.

While I would have been fine with the Packers moving on from Dillon, I think his "demise" is being a bit exaggerated. Aaron Jones wasn't as productive last season as he has been before either (see stats below). Both players were dealing with injuries, Dillon a fractured thumb no less. I would also think that having a "rookie" QB didn't help either one of them either. Defenses playing against Aaron Rodgers were a lot more focused on not allowing Rodgers arm to carve them up, I doubt that was as big of a concern against Love, especially in the first 8 or so games.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I would have been fine with the Packers moving on from Dillon, I think his "demise" is being a bit exaggerated. Aaron Jones wasn't as productive last season as he has been before either (see stats below). Both players were dealing with injuries, Dillon a fractured thumb no less. I would also think that having a "rookie" QB didn't help either one of them either. Defenses playing against Aaron Rodgers were a lot more focused on not allowing Rodgers arm to carve them up, I doubt that was as big of a concern against Love, especially in the first 8 or so games.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Agreed. I think Dillon still has a number of decent years in him - maybe not all in GB, but he'll be on a roster for a while. He's not going to the UFL......

Thanks for the stats on Jones. Never realized what an up/down track record he has. I'm guessing the down years are due to injury. Considering he doesn't weigh much over 200 lbs, he's got a great overall record though. The guy was always in top physical condition.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Never realized what an up/down track record he has. I'm guessing the down years are due to injury.
Like I was trying to point out with Dillon, folks should also look beyond the player, before placing all the blame/credit for what they do. A RB is relying on a lot of other things, OL, QB, coaching, defenses played against, game situation, etc.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I certainly don't mind giving him a chance at H back. It's a position where you have to get down and dirty. Not wasting time finessing. But competition from a rookie should be a must. imho

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Someone help me out here. How often did MLF and the offense line an "H-Back" up in the backfield? Maybe I am missing the use of the H-B over the last 6 seasons, but is it something that has been heavily used? Or just something that would benefit the offense if used effectively?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think one thing that we fail to recognize when it comes to how they've deployed Dillon is that his running game is between the tackles, and until last year, they were able to count on him getting those two-yard runs consistently to move the chains on third down. That often skews the YPG for a player.

As an example, look at the career of Eddie George with the Titans. He only had two years where he got to 4.0 YPG. He spent a career in the 3s. Yet, he made it into the HOF because he did get those yards when his team needed it, for the first downs.

"If" the Packers effectively use Dillon, as an H-back, and the guy who can get those smash mouth yards when needed, they have a dangerous weapon in him. He has the leg strength to be that guy, and if he can effectively leverage his blocking, he could be valuable in so many ways. I'm not saying he's on the way to the HOF, but I'm saying his game could be an effective weapon. You just need to harness, and explore ways that athletes with certain skills can benefit your team. I think Dillon has that qualification.

About Eddie George. The famous "3 yards and a cloud of dust" running back, who would have made Woody Hayes proud.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone help me out here. How often did MLF and the offense line an "H-Back" up in the backfield? Maybe I am missing the use of the H-B over the last 6 seasons, but is it something that has been heavily used? Or just something that would benefit the offense if used effectively?
It wouldn't be something used extensively. But, it could well be one of the wrinkles that Matt wants to add to the offense. It was so effective with the Bill Walsh 49ers, but it takes the right person to do it.

Members online

Latest posts