2023 Division round at the SF

757Niner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I echo that this is a very interesting matchup. My knee jerk reaction is that it is again going to be a blowout loss in SF. In the same respect, let's dig into this a bit. The 49ers are the 3rd highest scoring offense in the NFL. That is only behind the Dolphins and... you got it, the Cowboys. The Packers rank 12th. I'm not going to do the math, but I would wager they have been way better the last 3-5 games down the stretch here. Interestingly enough, the 49ers are also 3rd in the NFL in points allowed. They have a heck of a defense. The Packers actually rank 10th giving up 350 on the regular season for an average of almost 21 points per game. This should be a closer game than people think. While I'll go back to the point that I don't know what is going on anymore, I do think that the Pack come up short. I'm going to say it comes down to a FG. 49ers 17 - Packers 14.

I really have no idea what is going to happen though. What a great season this has been. Way surpassed my expectations. Great job by this coaching staff and awesome to see the ascension of Love no matter the outcome.
You have a young and exciting team with guys who have ability to make things happen when opportunities arise. That's nothing to sneeze at and most fanbases not based in Houston would kill to be where you all seem to be headed.

I don't think the Dallas game should be ignored completely either. The Packers offense has scored 30+ points in three of the last four games and have made it look EASY. The game they did not score 30 was against the Bears who played elite defense for the latter half of the season and the Packers didn't have much problem moving the ball, just missed some opportunities.

Our defense did not end the season playing at a high level. But Armstead's return should help bolster our leaky af run D. Most importantly our team is fairly healthy and well rested. That's all you can ask for at this time of the year. I will be very disappointed if we don't make the Super Bowl, but upsets happen, and the Packers have been in must win scenarios for weeks now. In one and done scenarios, records mean nothing. It's about who shows up mentally ready to perform and who makes the least number of mistakes.

Love and your offense should have good enough success, especially if he uses his legs.

But I expect our offense to have their moments also.

I do expect us to come away with the win.

I think from top to bottom, we just have a more talented and playoff tested roster at the moment.

But games aren't won on paper so we must prove it on the field play to our capabilities.

But I definitely think it will be much closer than most expect.

Don't think it'll look anything like our wins over Dallas & Philly.

Just hoping for a clean, injury-free & ref mistake-free affair.

Be safe...

Last edited:

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I looked at a 9ers forum and most of them are supremely confident they will whip the Packers. I think the Packers have a chance. Let's not forget Kyle Shanahan's inability to win the big game.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The 49ers field is natural grass, so this could become somewhat of a reality, if the rain falls long enough before the game being uncovered. I prefer it not be this bad. I don't think it bodes well with the Packers, but I could be wrong.
Yeah, it could go either way with a wet and muddy field. Might slow down the 9'ers pass rush, as well as give Aaron Jones an advantage running the ball. On the other hand, does the same for the 9'ers CMC and Deebo.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have a young and exciting team with guys who have ability to make things happen when opportunities arise. That's nothing to sneeze at and most fanbases not based in Houston would kill to be where you all seem to be headed.

I don't think the Dallas game should be ignored completely either. The Packers offense has scored 30+ points in three of the last four games and have made it look EASY. The game they did not score 30 was against the Bears who played elite defense for the latter half of the season and the Packers didn't have much problem moving the ball, just missed some opportunities.

Our defense did not end the season playing at a high level. But Armstead's return should help bolster our leaky af run game. Most importantly the team is fairly healthy and well rested. That's all you can ask for at this time of the year. I will be very disappointed if we don't make the Super Bowl, but upsets happen, and the Packers have been in must win scenarios for weeks now. In one and done scenarios, records mean nothing. It's about who shows up mentally ready to perform and who makes the least number of mistakes.

Love and your offense should have good enough success, especially if he uses his legs.

But I expect our offense to have their moments also.

I do expect us to come away with the win.

I think from top to bottom, we just have a more talented and playoff tested roster at the moment.

But games aren't won on paper so we must prove it on the field play to our capabilities.

But I definitely think it will be much closer than most expect.

Don't think it'll look anything like our wins over Dallas & Philly.

Just hoping for a clean, injury-free & ref mistake-free affair.

Be safe...
Over the years, I've watched so many clashes between the 49ers and Packers it's amazing. I can remember the days of R.C. Owens and the "Alley-Oop" pass that changed the face of what receivers had to be. He showed that QBs could throw into coverage, if they had the right guy out there, to catch the pass.

I can remember when the match up between the two, usually near the end of the season was out in Kesar Stadium, and it was considered the mudder of all battles. The 49ers were the warm weather mudders, and the Packers were the cold weather mudders. It seems like the football gods always wanted it to rain before they played that game.

It's always been a great rivalry. I think the 49ers are a better team than the Packers this year, but, like they always say in the NFL, "Any Given Sunday."

Let's hope the winner emerges without any injuries, and moves on to win the championship. If you get beaten by the best, you know you're on the cusp of being that yourself.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of the Niner's defense-injured players are back except for Ferrell who is out which makes Chase Young the starter. Thomas will have a cast on his hand he is a rotation guy anyway.
welcome!

When Chase Young is your backup, that is saying something about your talent level.

I love the situation we are in. I am very pleased we got this far and it's been a successful season so far. A lot of the idiots who post here are in remission and wont be until the Packers have a rough patch. If we manage a win in SF its all icing on the cake at this point.

The focus by most folks is how the Cowboys suck and not how well the Packers played. Well, they give kudos to Love but that's about it. Maybe we can still surprise some. I think we have a better shot than most think.

In San Francisco 57 years ago was "The Summer of Love." After next week it will fade to anonymity as a new generation will only know "The Satuday of Love".

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well thought out response. The match up is actually interesting. To win this one, we need Barry to come up with another magical plan that will defeat a team that's better stocked with personnel than we are. If he does, he could end up having the heat turned off underneath him. In fact, with a win on Saturday, and a decent showing the following week, he could end up with more than a one year extension of his contract. You win, you get rewarded. It's how it works.

Since our offenses are quite alike, our hope is that Love is a little more polished than Purdy when it comes to identifying defenses. The difference could lead to turn overs, just like the two INTs we had against Dallas, and could have had a couple more. The question is, what schemes will Barry unveil to derail the 49ers express, and do we have enough on field talent to make it work. We're now down at least one player, in Engabare. We can't afford any more on the sideline. That's exactly what prompted LeFleur to pull his key players, and let bench players handle the last few minutes of the Dallas game.
The Ravens were able to force turnovers and get the Niners out of their game. But you are right about them. Fundamentally, no team is better. They block, they tackle, they execute, they do not commit a lot of silly penalties, and they communicate. McCaffrey is better than Pollard. Carolina is even worse than without him. Their coaching is tops.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over the years, I've watched so many clashes between the 49ers and Packers it's amazing. I can remember the days of R.C. Owens and the "Alley-Oop" pass that changed the face of what receivers had to be. He showed that QBs could throw into coverage, if they had the right guy out there, to catch the pass.

I can remember when the match up between the two, usually near the end of the season was out in Kesar Stadium, and it was considered the mudder of all battles. The 49ers were the warm weather mudders, and the Packers were the cold weather mudders. It seems like the football gods always wanted it to rain before they played that game.

It's always been a great rivalry. I think the 49ers are a better team than the Packers this year, but, like they always say in the NFL, "Any Given Sunday."

Let's hope the winner emerges without any injuries, and moves on to win the championship. If you get beaten by the best, you know you're on the cusp of being that yourself.
Yes, old Kezar. 13-0 in 1960. Headlines said, " Hornung Scores All Points. " In 1961 they best us 22-21 when Starr got tackled in the end zone. 1962 we rallied front 21-10 down to win 31-21. In 1963 we eked out a 21-17 win on a pick. In 1964 they returned a punt for a TD and got us. In 1965 Monte Stickles had a good game and we tied 24-24 to force a playoff with the Colts. In 1966 we lost 21-20 when Chandler missed a chip shot. Now at Lambeau in the 1960s it was all Packers.

TG5557

Cheesehead
Reaction score
welcome!

When Chase Young is your backup, that is saying something about your talent level.

I love the situation we are in. I am very pleased we got this far and it's been a successful season so far. A lot of the idiots who post here are in remission and wont be until the Packers have a rough patch. If we manage a win in SF its all icing on the cake at this point.

The focus by most folks is how the Cowboys suck and not how well the Packers played. Well, they give kudos to Love but that's about it. Maybe we can still surprise some. I think we have a better shot than most think.

In San Francisco 57 years ago was "The Summer of Love." After next week it will fade to anonymity as a new generation will only know "The Satuday of Love".
Thank you. Trust me I am not taking the Packers lightly nor are the niners team. The Packers were dominant against the Cowbabies. I thought the Packers played on hell of a game. Like I said earlier I have mad respect for the Packers. I agree with everything you said. Anything can happen on any given Saturday.

TG5557

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Ravens were able to force turnovers and get the Niners out of their game. But you are right about them. Fundamentally, no team is better. They block, they tackle, they execute, they do not commit a lot of silly penalties, and they communicate. McCaffrey is better than Pollard. Carolina is even worse than without him. Their coaching is tops.
The Niners crapped the bed against the Ravens it was a really bad game on both sides of the ball. I can not even explain what happened and just chalk it up, to a wet fart that happens. Ravens are a very good football team. They are tough and one team the niners just can not beat at this point.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you. Trust me I am not taking the Packers lightly nor are the niners team. The Packers were dominant against the Cowbabies. I thought the Packers played on hell of a game. Like I said earlier I have mad respect for the Packers. I agree with everything you said. Anything can happen on any given Saturday.
Not as much losing the game by the Cowboys but being completely obliterated until garbage time at home after a 16 game streak. It makes no sense but it happened. If this was one of those game enders by Crosby they call it a mere upset. But 48-16 in the 4th quarter. When was the last time the Packers had a 32 point 4th quarter lead on another team at home or away?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I looked at a 9ers forum and most of them are supremely confident they will whip the Packers. I think the Packers have a chance. Let's not forget Kyle Shanahan's inability to win the big game.
Same. I saw one guy telling people all they have to do is get pressure on Love and he'll fold. That dude quite clearly hasn't seen him play... at all.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Niners crapped the bed against the Ravens it was a really bad game on both sides of the ball. I can not even explain what happened and just chalk it up, to a wet fart that happens. Ravens are a very good football team. They are tough and one team the niners just can not beat at this point.
One bad game a year like that is not the end of the world. Plenty of teams do that regularly and their record shows it. You can be sure if those teams meet in the SB the 9ers will be well prepared with a solid game plan.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SF might be the favorites, but I was expecting the odds to be a bit tighter after our performance in Dallas. But, Dallas Def being abysmal seems to have some shine off our own good performance.

I think our O can keep up with them. It'll come down to JB and whether our D can hold them down to par.

Just took a a look at their forum and they are already in the "We won the SB" zone. Delusional.
Prescott was talking last week about how his Louis Vuitton bags were packed for Vegas! If that isn't counting your chickens before they're hatched I don't know what is!

The 49ers deserve an *** whooping bigger than the 1 in Jerry world! I hope they overlook the Packers!! Believe their own hype!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Prescott was talking last week about how his Louis Vuitton bags were packed for Vegas! If that isn't counting your chickens before they're hatched I don't know what is!

The 49ers deserve an *** whooping bigger than the 1 in Jerry world! I hope they overlook the Packers!! Believe their own hype!
The 9ers do not quite have that same ego as the Cowboys and their owner. They were humbled with 2 SB losses in the last decade. They do not read their headlines. They have the home field. I could see the Lions matching up physically to them. It is ironic that both the Lions and the Ravens had their disaster game against the Ravens this season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If Enagbare is out, will we elevate Brenton Cox Jr?
Would like to see what he has in a real game. However, the fact that I don't think he has been elevated since Week 7, doesn't bode well. Has he been on the active roster more than Week 2 (1 snap) and Week 7 (3 snaps)?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how well we play in the wind and rain. 15mph can be significant. Aaron Jones might be a mudder but he/the O line still need to deal with the D line and linebackers. The same for them as far as the conditions are concerned. I hope Barry doesn't overthink the weather.

TG5557

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was on either footballsfuture.com
or reddit.
Yeah, a bunch of homers over there.

I own the official 49ers message board

If anyone wants to sign up I will approve you. Granted we also have homers there as well just ignore them. Most of the members are great. This message board is the new .com form the past. When the 49ers took away the old board they allowed me to take it over as the official message board.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts