Would Saleh be a good hire?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm skeptical as to where this is going to go with Saleh to be honest. How would they wedge him in to their staff? I have a hunch it could undermine either or both coordinators, if he was given any substantial input on offense or defense. You'd be telling the coordinators that you like Saleh better for the job than them. Egos are fragile, especially when it comes to the tenuous job security there is with NFL coaches.

Don't get me wrong. I think Saleh might be a darned good coach, under the right circumstances, but I think it could be a problem with the Packers. I also question the fact that his teams are 20-36 with him as the HC. Not exactly a stellar record, but you can see the problem he had his first year, then ending up with Rodgers, who obviously became a rub.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I'm skeptical as to where this is going to go with Saleh to be honest. How would they wedge him in to their staff? I have a hunch it could undermine either or both coordinators, if he was given any substantial input on offense or defense. You'd be telling the coordinators that you like Saleh better for the job than them. Egos are fragile, especially when it comes to the tenuous job security there is with NFL coaches.

Don't get me wrong. I think Saleh might be a darned good coach, under the right circumstances, but I think it could be a problem with the Packers. I also question the fact that his teams are 20-36 with him as the HC. Not exactly a stellar record, but you can see the problem he had his first year, then ending up with Rodgers, who obviously became a rub.
I don't disagree with anything you've posted. Oddly, I seldom, if ever, have. Just wanting to add a little ... sort of what I think Saleh's role is. To have a guy like Saleh essentially "self scouting" that offense every WEEK versus just the off week of the bye - is genius in my book. I think that everyone recognizes that Matt is the de facto O.C. and Adam is just kind of his "secretary" ... his "legal assistant" ... who does the majority of the assemblage of film, tendencies of the upcoming opponent's defense ... gets coffee ... is Matt's chauffeur (oh wait, that was Jon Gruden for Holmgren) and then the two of them assemble the game plan. To have a third pair of eyes, particularly when that third pair of eyes has b*tch-slapped this offense in the past is worth it's weight in gold. To have a former successful D.C. advising them what HE would do to stop that that offense is as I said worth its weight in gold.

Listening to Hafley's presser, it sounds as though he and Saleh have interacted regularly in the past few years. Now, if Hafley's fur was or is ruffled you'd never get that impression - but, you're absolutely correct when referring to "frail egos" and job security. As for Hafley, the defense's has been so markedly better and creative in half a season that I doubt Saleh was pulled in to light a fire under Hafley. I'm going to take this at face value and call it genius on Matt and Gute's part... and if anything, it shows Matt's maturity level -- he's pulling in a guy to pick his brain, to offer alternatives to what HE might be doing - and frankly, I'd be thrilled to get THAT third pair of eyes offering alternatives and insights.

There I go, probably regurgitating stuff that's already been posted ... but I believe that Matt's pulled Saleh in to "self scout" him (Matt). I think it's cool. I think it's a trait of a winner....and proof of a grown up at the head of the table. Particularly with Detroit and San Fran coming up - and Jacksonville no less ... those guys need a signature win to screw their heads back on straight -- Salah can only be a HUGE encyclopedia. Let's face it ... the Pack's offense does tend to slog late in the first half into the third quarter. I'm really excited to see what if anything changes.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't disagree with anything you've posted. Oddly, I seldom, if ever, have. Just wanting to add a little ... sort of what I think Saleh's role is. To have a guy like Saleh essentially "self scouting" that offense every WEEK versus just the off week of the bye - is genius in my book. I think that everyone recognizes that Matt is the de facto O.C. and Adam is just kind of his "secretary" ... his "legal assistant" ... who does the majority of the assemblage of film, tendencies of the upcoming opponent's defense ... gets coffee ... is Matt's chauffeur (oh wait, that was Jon Gruden for Holmgren) and then the two of them assemble the game plan. To have a third pair of eyes, particularly when that third pair of eyes has b*tch-slapped this offense in the past is worth it's weight in gold. To have a former successful D.C. advising them what HE would do to stop that that offense is as I said worth its weight in gold.

Listening to Hafley's presser, it sounds as though he and Saleh have interacted regularly in the past few years. Now, if Hafley's fur was or is ruffled you'd never get that impression - but, you're absolutely correct when referring to "frail egos" and job security. As for Hafley, the defense's has been so markedly better and creative in half a season that I doubt Saleh was pulled in to light a fire under Hafley. I'm going to take this at face value and call it genius on Matt and Gute's part... and if anything, it shows Matt's maturity level -- he's pulling in a guy to pick his brain, to offer alternatives to what HE might be doing - and frankly, I'd be thrilled to get THAT third pair of eyes offering alternatives and insights.

There I go, probably regurgitating stuff that's already been posted ... but I believe that Matt's pulled Saleh in to "self scout" him (Matt). I think it's cool. I think it's a trait of a winner....and proof of a grown up at the head of the table. Particularly with Detroit and San Fran coming up - and Jacksonville no less ... those guys need a signature win to screw their heads back on straight -- Salah can only be a HUGE encyclopedia. Let's face it ... the Pack's offense does tend to slog late in the first half into the third quarter. I'm really excited to see what if anything changes.
No. I think you covered a lot of possibilities here. Sometimes bringing things up a second time, with a different perspective is good. This was. It points out a potential coaching position that Saleh could fill. Quality control. It might sound like a reach, but it would be more of an advisory position to help all the coaches achieve goals, and wouldn't actually step on anyone's toes.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we may be reading a lot more into this than there really is. Its possible its a precursor to something more permanent but according to MLFs first presser on the subject Saleh was only there for a few days. I think his words were something like he's here through Thursday and going back on Friday. I assume back meant NY and his family. I think I recall Saleh saying he wasn't interested in another job right away.

MLF did say it was fluid which does mean it could be more than a 3 day working vacation with more to come but it also could have been just RS taking a few days to get away.

Whatever it was and whatever it turns out to be I have to say that I am pretty happy with the job Haffley has done with the defense so far and I think it's only going to get better. I wouldn't be willing to say I think Saleh would be better. If its a foot in the door in case Haffley doesn't work out or moves on its probably a good thing but I honestly don't see him getting a HC offer anywhere after 1 season as the Packers DC. Would he go back to the college ranks? I don't think I would if I had a good year in the pros. I'd want to come back and possibly turn a second good year into a HC gig in the NFL.

For now I'm not taking it as anything more than a visit between good friends and if it turns into more it will probably be a good thing.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry for a second post but I just thought of this and didn't want to cram it into my other one.

I assume Saleh is still being paid by the Jets. If he were being paid anything by the Packers that would affect what he is being paid by the Jets. Just another thing to factor in.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I assume Saleh is still being paid by the Jets. If he were being paid anything by the Packers that would affect what he is being paid by the Jets. Just another thing to factor in.
From what I have read, Saleh will still be paid on his 5 year deal (signed in 2021). It was reported that his pay is somewhere around $5-7M/year.

Guessing he and the Packers will be very careful that whatever the terms on that contract are, not to do something that would prevent him from getting paid by the Jets.

Saleh has a huge family. 7 kids!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My totally unsubstantiated tin-foil hat theory:
They’re looking to get a “foot in the door” on Saleh. Hafley just came from the college game and while he was said to have left cuz of “changing landscape” and such (as I recall it), if his defense keeps on progressing as it has it wouldn’t be hugely surprising if a coach-needy top team makes him a HC offer. And the NIL landscape is very different between BC and a top SEC school or something…
So Hafley develops a great defense here with GB, gets a head coach offer at a big school and decides to take the opportunity. Saleh, who’s already in the picture as a “consultant” then steps right in to fill that vacancy. :p

(Not really serious, but who knows lol)
I'm like what the defense is looking like under Hafley and I think they will continue to improve. Because of that, I hope they can retain Hafley, but if he moves on to a HC job, I couldn't think of a guy that I would want more than Saleh to take over as the Packers DC in 2025.

Reaction score
Part of building a Winning Team are the Assistants and Coaching Staff. It’s rare to be able to have the opportunity to bring in someone like Saleh as a Consultant.

The other advantage is Saleh brings in his own sets of relationships with hundreds of players. If we are looking to acquire players (such a Trade)? Saleh has insider knowledge of dozens of available prospects. Many of whom would be loyal to him. This is similar to the Rich Bisaccia acquisition and he has HIS guys that remain loyal.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Also keep in mind Robert Saleh began his Career as a Player at TE. He was an All Conference TE at Northern Michigan. His First season in a coaching capacity (and around the time him and Matt roomed together) he was hired as an Offensive Assistant and specialized with the TE group for Michigan State.

Then you back that up with him going on to coach with Kyle Shanahan in Houston. Then under the tutelage of Pete Carrol on Defense during “The Legion of Boom”.

Then leading to his promotion to DC with the SF49ers under Kyle. Within 2 years he had changed that program from bottom of the league to top of the league.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wonder what Saleh thinks of Takk McKinley. The Jets released the former #26 pick in the 2017 draft, to make room on the roster for Haason Red****.

I doubt the Packers have much interest in him, unless Saleh says "this guy has got some untapped potential, he just needs a team like the Packers."

Injuries and lack of opportunities has plagued McKinley, but 7 teams in 8 seasons, is kind of a red flag.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
MLF: hey bob that arsclown rodgers fired ya finally...?

Bob: Took him long enough...now lets go win a championship!

I didn't watch the Jets loss yesterday, but Saleh has to be grinning. Rodgers was at the podium afterwards giving his same BS responses. He even ended it with some reference to knowing what it is like to be in total darkness and the rest of his teammates need to feel that. :rolleyes:

I really don't see Rodgers ending his storied NFL career on a high note with the Jets. So unless the Jets decide to trade him before Nov. 5th to say....the Vikings or a top team that loses their star QB in the next week, he's just going to keep hitting replay on all his quips he used in his final years as a Packer.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

After this season things can happen. If Hafley were to finish with a top 10 defense he may be a candidate for a HC job. And Saleh knows someone will hire him in some position.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After this season things can happen. If Hafley were to finish with a top 10 defense he may be a candidate for a HC job. And Saleh knows someone will hire him in some position.
this is premature. lol more likely hey go to a legendary stadium and help out the team

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Hafely needs a couple more years at the assistant level before he becomes an NFL HC, but I could be wrong. He could be one of those guys who they just see as the new breed coming out.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well the "good" news. If Hafley does end up getting a HC gig somewhere, Saleh would be at the top of MLF and the Packers list to replace him.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hafley isn't going anywhere. He left head coaching because he hated all of the crap that you have to deal with, that has nothing to do with coaching. One of the beat writers said that Hafley admitted that it was a breath of fresh air to go sit in a hotel room and just watch game film, without having to deal with anything else.

Hafley realized that he loves coaching players, not being a head coach. Now I'm not predicting that he will be the Packers DC until the end of time, but he's not leaving at the end of this season to be a HC.

I may have missed someone posting it, but Hafley and Saleh coached together on the 49ers and are friends. Maybe not best-man-in-the-wedding friends, but friends none the less.

From Hafley's press conference last week:
"I'm at the point in my career where I'm pretty secure and confident in what we're doing, where we're heading, the staff that we have on defense," said Hafley. "So whether it was a really good friend of mine like it is or some guy that I really don't know, I just think that's a way bigger thought and a story than it actually is. I came here to win. I want to win football games and I want to win a championship and I'm not going to have anything distract me to do such."

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hafley isn't going anywhere. He left head coaching because he hated all of the crap that you have to deal with, that has nothing to do with coaching.
I had heard it was more the NIL and Transfer portal in college football that go him to leave BC.

I hope you are correct and he is content just being an NFL DC.