What positions...first three picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HardRightEdge

I have a feeling we may be looking at Jace Sternberger from A&M , we interviewed him and he was very productive. He seems more of a pass catcher than a blocker but he is a guy they seem to be interested in.
If he brought him in for a private visit then he's definitly looking at him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One thing that would not surprise me, but would send a lot of Packer fans spiraling, would be a corner in the top 3 rounds. Keep an eye on David Long of Michigan.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Amos has FS / SS flexibility (nickname "Smash"), I don't think the Packers paid him this amount of money to play primarily SS and in the box though we'll probably see him down there situationally. You need a smart player and a leader to run the back end and Amos is that guy. That means primarily high safety. This need is particulary acute with a bunch of young corners and what is likely to be a young SS, be it Jones or otherwise.
This makes sense due to the young corners, Pete Dougherty was saying the opposite, saying Amos will play close to the line and we should target a high safety. Well depending on which one we draft, that should tell us more about what they plan for Amos...…….I think there are more options at SS in the draft.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that would not surprise me, but would send a lot of Packer fans spiraling, would be a corner in the top 3 rounds. Keep an eye on David Long of Michigan.
If they thought, and he became the next great corner, Greedy could be my pick at 12. I have no confidence that King can play half the year, I hope the Iowa kid plays well this year.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If they thought, and he became the next great corner, Greedy could be my pick at 12. I have no confidence that King can play half the year, I hope the Iowa kid plays well this year.

I'm not a fan of Greedy. I can't stand passive corners.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I said earlier, Murphy and his hand-picked successor in Gutekunst could probably survive another losing season with sufficient plausible reasons, but not two season.
i don't think they're in any danger at all. everyone knows the reality. they're in a complete, emergency, rebuild to get rodgers one more shot. if it doesn't happen in the next 3 years they'll move on from rodgers due to his age, health, and associated cap issues. in the meantime they'll do their best to set up the next qb. as long as gute's draft picks are hitting he's good for the foreseable...imo.

Reaction score
total waste of a pick.
I would’ve preferred signing a veteran backup at QB.
I pray we don’t find out what our depth looks like in live regular season action, but so far I’m not impressed. Several other teams recognize how important that backup position can be. GB tends to roll the dice and I think it’s a significant are of concern.
While not the #1 concern, IMO I like the approach of selecting at QB in any year where we have 9+ selections. It doesn’t need to be #12 if you keep hitting them early Day 3? sooner or later even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a question, forgive my lack of knowledge.
SS vs. FS, I read an article from one of the beat writers saying we need a FS, due to Amos likely going to play closer to the line, and J. Jones being the S/LB type, am I confusing this? He was saying the two best guys for us were the kids from Virginia or Maryland, centerfielders persay. Help me out on this guys.
I had thought Amos could play up if the situation called for it. We have had such problems in coverage with the safeties not being able to get to the ball on time. So I am thinking we need a real free safety cover guy. Besides we will be using both safeties in cover a lot whoever they are. imho

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't think they're in any danger at all. everyone knows the reality. they're in a complete, emergency, rebuild to get rodgers one more shot. if it doesn't happen in the next 3 years they'll move on from rodgers due to his age, health, and associated cap issues. in the meantime they'll do their best to set up the next qb. as long as gute's draft picks are hitting he's good for the foreseable...imo.
I agree with you except if Rodgers wants to play and is playing at a high level; 3 years might be the time to get a future QB Not counting him out just yet. Getting a backup QB is not the same thing as finding the eventual placement. imo

H

HardRightEdge

It's certainly possible. King would appear to be a dislocated shoulder waiting to happen and the odds are Williams is in his last year.

It's just one more reason Gutekunst should be targeting 2020, happy talk about "win now" notwithstanding. That's not to say he should go high for a CB now. Risks must be taken somewhere. It would seem rolling the dice with King and Williams for 2019 would be one of them if the real target is 2020. If King does not work out, then there's the 2020 draft.

It would surprise me but I certainly wouldn't be spiraling. I'd be less surprised if Gutekunst traded down from #12 to get to 5 picks in the first 3 rounds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's certainly possible. King would appear to be a dislocated shoulder waiting to happen and the odds are Williams is in his last year.

It's just one more reason Gutekunst should be targeting 2020, happy talk about "win now" notwithstanding. That's not to say he should go high for a CB now. Risks must be taken somewhere. It would seem rolling the dice with KIng and Williams for 2019 would be one of them if the real target is 2020. If King does not work out, then there's the 2020 draft.

Plus, King is a pick from a previous regime. That doesn't mean that they'll dismiss him out of hand, but they aren't going to be as committed to his success as they are their own draft picks.

H

HardRightEdge

Plus, King is a pick from a previous regime. That doesn't mean that they'll dismiss him out of hand, but they aren't going to be as committed to his success as they are their own draft picks.
"Previous regime" is different when the new GM is an internal hire vs. a guy from outside. We don't know which of Thompson's picks Gutekunst pounded the table for and which he tried to talk Thompson out of.

There was a story circulating a while back that the scouting staff was aligned against a top Thompson prospect and Thompson drafted the guy anyway. Was that King? I can't recall. If so, that does strengthen the argument for a CB by the end of day 2.

King has never impressed me much even when he was in off coverage where the shoulders shouldn't be much of an issue. And the mistakes he's made in zone have looked pretty bad.

So both you and I talked me into it. ;) If there is a trade down out of #12 to get to 5 picks in day 1/day 2 then what the h*ll, put CB on the list of possibilities.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sure hope that does not make a damn bit of difference. Though I will admit that it seemed that way with McCarthy; I sure as hell hope Gute/LaFleur won't be like that. Best player up. Kickers...everybody.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I sure hope that does not make a damn bit of difference. Though I will admit that it seemed that way with McCarthy; I sure as hell hope Gute/LaFleur won't be like that. Best player up. Kickers...everybody.

It makes a difference for every team. Always has.

D

Deleted member 6794

As I said earlier, Murphy and his hand-picked successor in Gutekunst could probably survive another losing season with sufficent plausible reasons, but not two season. And the most likely cause of such failings would be another Rodgers injury, particularly acute in 2020 where excuses would have run out. At that point this years draftee would be in year 2.

I too would be disappointed if the Packers bought a QB from #44 on up. But I'm not the guy who thinks he needs insurance as a backstop in keeping his job.

Gutekunst and Murphy should have signed a veteran backup quarterback as an insurance if they are afraid of what might happen if Rodgers suffers another injury though.

In my opinion the Packers drafting a cornerback early wouldn't be a huge surprise after they let Breeland walk away in free agency.

While not the #1 concern, IMO I like the approach of selecting at QB in any year where we have 9+ selections. It doesn’t need to be #12 if you keep hitting them early Day 3? sooner or later even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

The new CBA has made it extremely difficult to successfully develop a late round quarterback.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hoping for (in order): LB, OL, TE
Expecting (in order): OL, WR, S

D

Deleted member 6794

The CBA that was introduced in 2011 severely limits the amount of practices teams are allowed to hold both in the offseason as well as during the regular season. With the starting quarterback receiving the majority of snaps in most practices it's awfully tough to develop a backup with him getting only a handful of plays.

H

HardRightEdge

Gutekunst and Murphy should have signed a veteran backup quarterback as an insurance if they are afraid of what might happen if Rodgers suffers another injury though.
The 33rd. highest paid QB is Rosen, followed by Mahomes and Watson.

From 36th. on down we find a cluster of standard issue veteran baackups: Henne, Stanton, McCoy, McCarron. The going rate for these kinds of guys is $3 mil per year. Or how about RGIII at $2 mil? These kinds of guys do not exactly inspire confidence. A #30 pick will come in around $2.5 mil per year for 4 years. A #44 pick would be something like $1.7 mil per year.

While the cost difference is not significant, a rookie that looks like a fit and can be molded to the ways and means of the system would be an attraction.

We should all agree that taking a QB at #12 would be a little nuts. Beyond that, who knows? The Lock interview might not have gone well. Jones not finding time in his schedule to visit could be off-putting. Perhaps looking at these guys is a compare and contrast to others of interest further down the board. And even if they like one of these guys they will likely be off the board at #30 with the way teams reach for QBs.

Regardless, given neither Kizer nor Boyle may be able win an NFL football game against anything more than a terrible opponent should be a legitimate concern.

Croquet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there is not a game changing top ten talent on gutes board that drops to 12 then I would trade back and get extra pick or picks. Continues to give gute flexibility.

I would target BPA at oline, dline and safety.

There is a lot of conversation about slot receivers and what that position needs but I have thought for years we needed to get quicker. Maybe this offensive design will help to scheme players open and the “quicks” isn’t as necessary.

With this many picks I also believe(or would like to see) gute come out of this draft with at least one or two picks for next year.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The CBA that was introduced in 2011 severely limits the amount of practices teams are allowed to hold both in the offseason as well as during the regular season. With the starting quarterback receiving the majority of snaps in most practices it's awfully tough to develop a backup with him getting only a handful of plays.
my understanding of this may be to limit the chance of injury during practice, correct?

were there that many injuries caused during practices to make this a pressing requirement when negotiating?

surely there must be ways around it to help develop players that won't get the meaningful snaps on practice?

H

HardRightEdge

my understanding of this may be to limit the chance of injury during practice, correct?

were there that many injuries caused during practices to make this a pressing requirement when negotiating?

surely there must be ways around it to help develop players that won't get the meaningful snaps on practice?
It's injuries and just wearing guys down over the long season. If preseason is any indication, where starter snaps are limited to just enough to get full contact juices flowing, both players and owners are fine with it since everybody is operating under the same set of rules.

As for ways to develop players, there's a lot of non-contact camp work and then the preseason where players have take what they've learned to the field. Even so, the level of competition other than for a couple of series may be against fellow rookies, other developmental players, or camp bodies hoping to make the PS.

Once the season starts, with the intesity of game preparation, there isn't much developmental coaching going on. Bench players have do for themselves in preparing to play if called upon. The closest bench guys get to developmental work in-season is working on the scout team, where the second string offense and defense attempt to emulate the upcoming opponent in practice sessions agains the first string. Even so, with limited contact practices in-season, I believe a grand total of 12 is the number, there's not a whole lot of opportunity to work on technique.

D

Deleted member 6794

While the cost difference is not significant, a rookie that looks like a fit and can be molded to the ways and means of the system would be an attraction.

I'm not convinced that a rookie backup quarterback could be developed into an upgrade over a veteran with limited snaps. With the Packers introducing a new scheme under LaFleur other QBs than Rodgers might even receive fewer snaps this offseason.

If there is not a game changing top ten talent on gutes board that drops to 12 then I would trade back and get extra pick or picks. Continues to give gute flexibility.

With this many picks I also believe(or would like to see) gute come out of this draft with at least one or two picks for next year.

The Packers should only trade back from #12 if there are several players graded in the top tier left with them being on the clock. The main priority should be to improve the roster in this year's draft and not to acquire additional picks for 2020.

It's a difficult balance for a head coach to assign snaps to players expected to receive extended playing time as well as allowing others to develop. The CBA definitely limited the chances guys on the roster bubble to improve though.

If preseason is any indication, where starter snaps are limited to just enough to get full contact juices flowing, both players and owners are fine with it since everybody is operating under the same set of rules.

The head coaches and players fighting for roster spots might have a different opinion though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.