• Jones

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep love

Votes: 22 55.0%

• Total voters

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He`s not going to coach and help a guy who is ultimately his replacement. I know everything thinks he`s saint, but he`s he`s human being, so it wouldn`t surprise me in the least.

I recall Rodgers said some weeks before the draft that if GB drafted a QB he would treat him very differently than Favre did to him. Yes, it isn't his job to coach but the younger QB will still learn a lot about being an NFL QB - how to prepare for games, how to be a team leader and how to interact with the media.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The draft class at wide receiver was considered to be one of the deepest in history. There's no reason to believe not a single good one was available at the end of the second round.

For example, Lance Zierlein had Deguara rated as a sixth round pick.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/josiah-deguara?id=32194445-4770-3400-9fe2-3240dc1a9dab

Overall, using Grinding the Mocks as a reference he was considered to be a consesus sixth round pick by the experts.

While Graham didn't perform up to his huge contract he put up decent numbers. I highly doubt Deguara will come anywhere close to matching those.

If that's true Gutekunst should have tried to make a move with the Saints for the 24th pick instead.

Unless we could have moved up I don't see a WR that was available for us in the second round when our pick was up. However, we could have not taken Love in the first, stayed at #30 and selected either Higgins or Pickman. Evidently they had Love rated higher on their board than Queen or these 2 WRs in the first round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_NFL_Draft

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What in Gods name ? The guy hasn`t even played a down yet. Why do people think this is such an insult to Rodgers ?. Give the guy a chance to prove you all right, or indeed wrong ! Remember when Rodgers first came to Green Bay ? most people hated him. Sometimes I`m ashamed to be a Packer fan.
Love hasn’t played a down and we’ve got a “what if” trade thread. WTF. I DO recall the chilly reception Rodgers got, and that includes me. Sometimes it’s best to let the pros do the job pros do. I’d be happy if we didn’t talk about Love for the next few months. Geez!

OP
OP
Fat Dogs

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love hasn’t played a down and we’ve got a “what if” trade thread. WTF. I DO recall the chilly reception Rodgers got, and that includes me. Sometimes it’s best to let the pros do the job pros do. I’d be happy if we didn’t talk about Love for the next few months. Geez!

The point of this post has clearly traveled over your head.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think you quite understand what I'm saying. I've seen small schools run a more complex defense than large schools. Typically, the more talent you have, the less complex defense you need to run. So an SEC defense is not necessarily more complex than a Big Sky defense. It all just depends.

If you'd rather have Hurts in the 2nd than Love in the 1st, quite frankly, I think you're crazy and I'll leave it at that. Quit box score scouting.
Amen.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I DO recall the chilly reception Rodgers got, and that includes me.
I was fine with the Rodgers pick, but there were some key differences. Rodgers was talked about being a #1 pick, he slipped a long way for us to get him, he was like a bargain we couldn't turn down. We weren't coming off a year where we were in the NFC Championship Game. And I don't recall Favre claiming he was going to play into his 40s, like Rodgers has said (even though he did end up playing into his 40s).

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True but I really think Favre/Rodgers had a different feel. 99% on here wanted receivers, ILB, or O-line and we’re stunned by the Love pic. Now many have come around and think Love was a great decision. I was just curios to see how many of you would keep Love over the other prospects that were heavily sought after on this board.
OK I see your point Fat Dog. I liked Queen at 26.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was fine with the Rodgers pick, but there were some key differences. Rodgers was talked about being a #1 pick, he slipped a long way for us to get him, he was like a bargain we couldn't turn down. We weren't coming off a year where we were in the NFC Championship Game. And I don't recall Favre claiming he was going to play into his 40s, like Rodgers has said (even though he did end up playing into his 40s).
OK, I see your point. Good observation. Can’t compare apples to oranges.

OP
OP
Fat Dogs

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn’t be the first time. Maybe you could enlighten me. What’s your take?

We all knew there were holes to fill and had favorite prospects/positions to fill them with. I read countless posts about these prospects but didn’t read to many advocating QB’s. Love’s popularity took over and the other players completely lost their luster. This question was directed at the people genuinely excited about love. This wasn’t written to trash Love. I was just curious.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all knew there were holes to fill and had favorite prospects/positions to fill them with. I read countless posts about these prospects but didn’t read to many advocating QB’s. Love’s popularity took over and the other players completely lost their luster. This question was directed at the people genuinely excited about love. This wasn’t written to trash Love. I was just curious.
I get it. I’d have preferred an ILB or WR in rd 1, but we got what we got. Time will tell who was right I guess.

OP
OP
Fat Dogs

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get it. I’d have preferred an ILB or WR in rd 1, but we got what we got. Time will tell who was right I guess.

Queen stuffing that run would have been nice but your right. It is what it is. The Kirksey signing was underrated. I think he’s going to be huge for this D. Hopefully we have something in Summers, Burks, or Martin. We only need one to step up.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Queen stuffing that run would have been nice but your right. It is what it is. The Kirksey signing was underrated. I think he’s going to be huge for this D. Hopefully we have something in Summers, Burks, or Martin. We only need one to step up.
Yeah I like Kirksey, actually better than Martinez. As you say, we need one of the other guys to up his game.

D

Deleted member 6794

Cool Wimm. I like Zierline. He isn't an NFL scout though.

Jeremiah was an actual NFL scout and had him in the 4th (119). And again, he's not an NFL big board either. The board is dependent on so many factors, especially team fit.

Awesome, so both draft evaluators you like agree with me that it was a reach for the Packers to select Deguara in the third round.

And calling Deguara just a FB illustrates how little you understand.

I guess you're convinced that Deguara will be right up there with Sternberger putting up similar numbers as Hooper :rolleyes:

NFL GM’s have a small inner circle and everyone knows Each other well. We can look at as many projections as we want but those sitting outside that select group don’t hear the buzz surrounding coveted players.

I'm quite sure teams create buzz around certain players to trick others to reach for them as well.

Unless we could have moved up I don't see a WR that was available for us in the second round when our pick was up.

I'm sorry but there's no reason to believe that there wasn't a single wide receiver available in the second round and even later capable of helping the Packers (which were one of only two teams not featuring two players with at least 500 receiving yards in 2019) in what was widely considered to be one of the deepest draft classes in history at the position.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Awesome, so both draft evaluators you like agree with me that it was a reach for the Packers to select Deguara in the third round.

I guess you're convinced that Deguara will be right up there with Sternberger putting up similar numbers as Hooper :rolleyes:

I'm quite sure teams create buzz around certain players to trick others to reach for them as well.

I'm sorry but there's no reason to believe that there wasn't a single wide receiver available in the second round and even later capable of helping the Packers (which were one of only two teams not featuring two players with at least 500 receiving yards in 2019) in what was widely considered to be one of the deepest draft classes in history at the position.

If you look at how the draft actually played out I suppose we could have taken Higgins and/or Pittman in the first at #30 (and not moved up for Love) but unless we moved up in the second all of the WRs with second round grades were long gone by pick 57 (we had 62). The next WR in the 3rd wasn't taken until #80 in the 3rd (we had 94) so we would have had to move up here too.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You have a really hard time with this whole "I don't care what the media thinks" thing, don't you?

And that's a really nice deflection from having to admit you know nothing about Deguara. Bravo! For the record, no, I don't think Deguara will perform like Sternberger. I take issue with calling him a FB, because he isn't. That is a role he will play, but not the only one.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think there were 37 WRs taken in the draft. So yeah, kinda hard to believe one wasn’t there at #62. Instead we got a 5th round TE, and I’m being gracious. The factoid on not having two receivers over 500 yds each is unreal. Then add in the depth of the draft at WR. Head scratching at best.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there were 37 WRs taken in the draft. So yeah, kinda hard to believe one wasn’t there at #62. Instead we got a 5th round TE, and I’m being gracious. The factoid on not having two receivers over 500 yds each is unreal. Then add in the depth of the draft at WR. Head scratching at best.

After round 2, there really wasn't a WR that would play over what we already have. Possible exceptions are Duvernay bc he is a slot, or Bryan Edwards (injury issues). Literally, all the WR's that fit for GB went before they picked in each round. It was amazing.

So should they draft for need or stick to their board?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After round 2, there really wasn't a WR that would play over what we already have. Possible exceptions are Duvernay bc he is a slot, or Bryan Edwards (injury issues). Literally, all the WR's that fit for GB went before they picked in each round. It was amazing.

Thanks for the update Gary, much appreciated. I’m a fan of drafting for need. And in that light, and given that the TE selected can play receiver and HB (and with the departure of Vitale), maybe Gluten did just that, drafted for need. I still have a nagging feeling they took him too soon, but it was a position of need, so I guess better late than never.

The good thing about draft opinions is that everyone is right and everyone is wrong at the same time! Be well brother.

D

Deleted member 6794

If you look at how the draft actually played out I suppose we could have taken Higgins and/or Pittman in the first at #30 (and not moved up for Love) but unless we moved up in the second all of the WRs with second round grades were long gone by pick 57 (we had 62). The next WR in the 3rd wasn't taken until #80 in the 3rd (we had 94) so we would have had to move up here too.

The Packers staying put at #30 and selecting Higgins, Shenault, Mims or Pittman would have been a much choice than trading up for Love.

You have a really hard time with this whole "I don't care what the media thinks" thing, don't you?

I understand that you aren't capable of forming your own opinion and agree with the decisions made by the Packers front office no matter what while coming up with reasons why it was the only option available.

YAnd that's a really nice deflection from having to admit you know nothing about Deguara.

I know enough about Deguara to figure out he shouldn't have been drafted in the third round. I expect him to not have a significant impact at the NFL level as many tight ends drafted by the team before him.

Gutekunst should draft for best value available with positions of need factoring into a decision.

The team spending the first four picks on backups is unacceptable.

And in that light, and given that the TE selected can play receiver and HB (and with the departure of Vitale), maybe Gluten did just that, drafted for need. I still have a nagging feeling they took him too soon, but it was a position of need, so I guess better late than never.

Gutekunst did a lot of things during this year's draft but definitely not draft for need.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand that you aren't capable of forming your own opinion and agree with the decisions made by the Packers front office no matter what while coming up with reasons why it was the only option available.

Wimmberly. Where have I said anywhere it was the only option available?

So again, I'll repeat what I've said the whole time. For the most part, they aren't picks that I would have made. I also realize that there are good parts to the players selected, and that the teams drafting have much more knowledge of the players than I do. I'm choosing to be positive, because it's far more enjoyable that way. What's done is done, can't change the picks. Support your team.

King of Jeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I recall Rodgers said some weeks before the draft that if GB drafted a QB he would treat him very differently than Favre did to him. Yes, it isn't his job to coach but the younger QB will still learn a lot about being an NFL QB - how to prepare for games, how to be a team leader and how to interact with the media.

I REALLY hope not. Rodgers is the last person on this team who should be teaching leadership skills.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers staying put at #30 and selecting Higgins, Shenault, Mims or Pittman would have been a much choice than trading up for Love.

I know enough about Deguara to figure out he shouldn't have been drafted in the third round. I expect him to not have a significant impact at the NFL level as many tight ends drafted by the team before him.

Gutekunst should draft for best value available with positions of need factoring into a decision.

The team spending the first four picks on backups is unacceptable.

Gutekunst did a lot of things during this year's draft but definitely not draft for need.
To your last point, yes, the majority of the draft was not based on need. But we did need a FB with the departure of Vitale and he grabbed one in rd 3. My point on that was while it was based on need, it was too early given the player selected.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The FO considers Love to be a future franchise QB, or they wouldn't have made this move.

That being the case-- no, I would not trade him for another player. If he's a future franchise QB, then there's much more value in keeping him.

Possible future franchise QB, part of the advantage of taking one now is that you have 2-3 years to evaluate his development and make decisions as to whether or not he is the guy going forward. If he fails to grow, improve or plateaus in his development the team could still draft another quarterback 2 years from now giving Gute and co a second crack at the apple if needed. It might seem like I'm splitting hairs but knowing that he'll have to ultimately replace Rodgers, Gute probably would want to hedge his bets. See TT brining in Brohm in 2008.