Studs and Duds - Jacksonville

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Studs - Willis, Cooper, Wyatt, McKinney, Mc Manus, Jacobs

Duds - injuries, lack of pressure from middle of the defensive line.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Willis, Jacobs, Reed, Kraft, Cooper, McManus.
Duds: Hafley playing zone D all 4th quarter & letting Jax back into game. Let the front 5-7 put pressure on the QB, worked great for 3 quarters!

Outsider99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: Hafley playing zone D all 4th quarter & letting Jax back into game. Let the front 5-7 put pressure on the QB, worked great for 3 quarters!
I agree with everything you said. That zone D drove me crazy

Malik is a solid QB. I would like him to get opportunity to learn more RPO plays and just pass plays to test his accuracy. He is calm under pressure. Love sometimes makes bad decisions under pressure usually early in games. When he calms down he is great.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Studs:
1. Josh Jacobs, huge game... 127yds and 2TD's. He's a leader on this team.

2. Edgerrin Cooper, best game so far, and making more and more impact every game.

3. Malik Willis, the team is now 3-0 with him filling in for Love. They were down 17-13 when he entered the game, and he led them to 17 2nd half points

Duds:
1. Injuries.... worst game in that aspect so far this year. Love, Evan Williams, Jaire...we are 1 game from the bye week to late. Lions will be even more difficult to beat if these guys can't play next week.

2. Hafley going primarily zone twice with a 10 pt lead. May have had something to do with Williams injury, plus the benching of Stokes in the 4th quarter.

3. Javon Bullard, he got cooked a couple times in coverage today. Definitely his worst game from what I seen.

 EDIT: I forgot my Honorable Mention

Our Kickers:

2 weeks in a row, they did fantastic.

McManus 3-3 on both FG'S and XP's, 12pts, plus a game winner for the 2nd week in a row.

Whelan 3 punts inside the 20, 48+ yds per punt.

Last edited:

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Willis, Kraft, Jacobs, Cooper, McManus, and McKinney
Duds: definitely the injury bug, it was all over this game. The late zone defense and allowing big gains were very bad.
Love throwing a INT was offset by a great XM pick, which made me extremely happy. The sack fumble had me jumping and screaming.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs
Jacobs,
Willis- he's a pretty darn good back up
Doubs
Copper
Duds
Love- made some nice passes but that was an ugly picking the red zone.
Gary- watch the td run by Lawrence. Got faked out so bad he ran the wrong way. Pass rush today wasn't good enough.
Bullard- rough day for the rookie. He looked lost on a lot of pass plays.
Nixon- got beat too often.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs

Jacobs: 150 plus and 2 TDs, best game as a packer

Cooper: Thought he had his best game as a pro

D-Line: Little slow 1st half made some big plays in the 2nd half

Duds

Bullard: Overmatched today. Don't know if it's scheme, coaching or if he needed medical intervention from proctology and neurosurgery, but he was bad today

O-Line: Too many penalties, too much confusion, the only one who wasn't noticeable (We aren't supposed to notice O-Linemen) was Jenkins.

Announcers: Congratulations you diagnosed the play Love got hurt on, but he was laboring while he was rolling out, the landing didn't help but he was hurt before that.

Outsider99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Malik Willis got 0 reps in practice leading up to this game! Imagine if he got some reps! He would be great. I hope J Love starts vs Detroit, but if Willis is called upon, I have confidence in him. Hopefully they'll give him some reps this week!

smacker

Smacker = Smack talking Packer Fan
Reaction score

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First thoughts after a quick second watch.

Studs -

Josh Jacobs
- like many of us said all along Josh Jacobs is a better all around RB...yes if he had Aaron Jones speed a few of his runs likely would have had 10 maybe 15 more yards on them but Jones wasn't getting through the first 4 or 5 yards. That touchdown run is the EXACT play why many of us hated losing Jones but LOVED gaining Jacobs. His jump cut is just nasty - NASTY.

Christian Watson - Yup. I'm going to say a name no one is likely to have noticed. A couple CRUCIAL (diving on one) drive continuing catches and fellas, every single WR drafted into GB should have to watch the blocking he illustrated in this game. He is already at this stage in his career a better blocker or at least as good of a blocker as Lazard was - which as many know is saying something for me. I still worry about the future decision on him someday coming but for now dude is special at what he does.

Duds -

Tackling - Edgerrin Cooper and Bullard both stand out as guys that just flat out looked terrible at the point of tackle a few times....and truthfully Cooper deserved a DYNAMITE STUD for a few of his plays but couldn't put him there merely because of a couple of his blown plays, he's not a dud just mentioning him here as part of the overall dud of tackling.

Bullard - This is not his fault as much of a byproduct of losing Williams and him being shuffled back off of his best position (slot) to playing more safety. Everyone that watched him at Georgia knew his best place is in the slot, down closer to the line of scrimmage. Bullard isn't a safety...he's a dynamic slot corner with ability to slide to safety in coverages - there is a difference.

Defense inability to adapt to shuffling - Williams going down slid Bullard out of his best spot, it slid Nixon to slot more (which everyone knows I hate) and Stokes in...eventually Valentine in as well....communication and a feel for where everyone would be appeared to be a massive hurdle for this shuffle and Jags have way too good of a QB to not attack that.

Reaction score
Jacob’s displayed exactly why we got him. He can run through tackles and he has a better blend of power to speed.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love how it looked like one of the Jaguars had a better angle on Lawrence's fumble, but Wyatt shoved him out of the way to recover it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love how it looked like one of the Jaguars had a better angle on Lawrence's fumble, but Wyatt shoved him out of the way to recover it.
Yup I outlined that in the pivotal plays thread. Wyatt appeared to be moving in fast forward, shoved their center aside and scooped the ball all in one motion. Cooper and Clark executed the stunt to perfection, cooper poked the ball but Wyatt finished that play as well as anyone could have.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Duds: Any Packer fan or media that was talking about trading Malik Willis.

Yesterday was a perfect example of why good teams need good back-up QB's.

You just never know when the time will come that your starter will go down, and if he does go down, for how long?

Gute deserves an A+++++ for his trading for Malik before the season started....for a fricking 7th rounder!!! I think so far, this has to be one of the most impactful trades by any team this season.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers will be very cautious with Love's injury. According to Ian Rapaport, he has a groin pull and his status "in doubt" for this week. The better long term move would be to sit him this week and give him the bye week to heal. That would be 3 full weeks to get healed up for the Bears.

Jaire Alexander is getting an MRI on his knee today.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think the Packers will be very cautious with Love's injury. According to Ian Rapaport, he has a groin pull and his status "in doubt" for this week. The better long term move would be to sit him this week and give him the bye week to heal. That would be 3 full weeks to get healed up for the Bears.

Jaire Alexander is getting an MRI on his knee today.
Agree on Love. Would the Packers have a better chance of beating the Lions with Love? A healthy Love, yes. However, as you pointed out, letting him have 3 full weeks to heal up, I think is more important to this team, than a very tough game against the Lions. It also helps that Malik Willis absolutely gives you a chance of winning, even against the Lions. I would be shocked if Love plays in the next game.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't we have a few guys go out in the second half on defense? I am hoping the bye week will get us stronger for the stretch run.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree on Love. Would the Packers have a better chance of beating the Lions with Love? A healthy Love, yes. However, as you pointed out, letting him have 3 full weeks to heal up, I think is more important to this team, than a very tough game against the Lions. It also helps that Malik Willis absolutely gives you a chance of winning, even against the Lions. I would be shocked if Love plays in the next game.
Mobility is important against the Lions D. If Love is gimpy he cannot escape the pass rush any more than Rodgers would. Willis can create a concern for the Lions D in that he can pull it down. He will get lot of reps this week.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: Any Packer fan or media that was talking about trading Malik Willis.

Yesterday was a perfect example of why good teams need good back-up QB's.

You just never know when the time will come that your starter will go down, and if he does go down, for how long?

Gute deserves an A+++++ for his trading for Malik before the season started....for a fricking 7th rounder!!! I think so far, this has to be one of the most impactful trades by any team this season.
Needless to say the 3 games Willis has won would not have fared well with a Brett Hundley.