Playoffs

Reaction score
Between our #1 RB, #2 RB, #3 RB, #3 WR,
#4 WR #1 TE, #2 TE, #3 TE and #4 TE

We have just 2 players in this group that possess at least one full year of playing experience on this team (Jamaal and Lance)
and there is not 1 player in this group with more than 1 full season in GB. As veterans from other teams, Lance and Mercedes barely get used considering their total accrued seasons in the NFL.
Out of these 9 players, 7 players possess 8 games or less (1/2 season) experience in GB.

After sending Jordy and Monty packing Aaron Rodgers now has Just Adams and Cobb as real veteran options to work with (I’ll leave Davis out due to just being activated).

Davante Adams, Randall Cobb and Jamaal Williams are the only choice of all receivers with veteran experience (Jamaal has 1 full season) AND at least 1 season in GB.

While we arguably have lots of potential, it arguably takes more than 8 regular season games on a team for a player to realize their potential. This team is largely non cohesive and we saw it again Sunday night. I’m not trying to be negative, just stating that we need to be leaning far more on several of our TE veterans more while we gain experience with the rooks. If those veteran TEs are slow learners (Janis types) then it’s time to move along and cut ties. I’d rather have Tonyan getting experience than wasting Millions if dollars on FA bench warmers. It’s time to challenge our veteran TE group with a multitude of sets. Graham should be playing receiver and paired with at least 1 more TE in every play going forward.

Right now we’re a team in the making and still trying to find our identity. It’s going to take more time than “Miami@GB” to right this ship and part from this iceberg.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

So here’s another question, if we happen to be mathematically eliminated from playoff contention do we then sit AR?

The Packers will most likely start Rodgers as long as he's healthy, even if they're out of playoff contention.

I'd rather go 3-12-1 and miss the playoffs so McDouble gets fired rather than 10-5-1, 1 playoff win, and management is fooled McDouble is anything better than a god awful coach. It's for the best to root against this team so he's gone.

That's a terrible approach to being a Packers fan. Did you take the same one in 2010 after the team started 3-3???

After sending Jordy and Monty packing Aaron Rodgers now has Just Adams and Cobb as real veteran options to work with (I’ll leave Davis out due to just being activated).

Davante Adams, Randall Cobb and Jamaal Williams are the only choice of all receivers with veteran experience (Jamaal has 1 full season) AND at least 1 season in GB.

I’m not trying to be negative, just stating that we need to be leaning far more on several of our TE veterans more while we gain experience with the rooks. If those veteran TEs are slow learners (Janis types) then it’s time to move along and cut ties. I’d rather have Tonyan getting experience than wasting Millions if dollars on FA bench warmers. It’s time to challenge our veteran TE group with a multitude of sets. Graham should be playing receiver and paired with at least 1 more TE in every play going forward.

In addition Cobb isn't effective anymore. I definitely prefer to play the rookie receivers ahead of another veteran tight end beside Graham resulting in MVS and EQ getting much needed experience though.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers going 7-1 down the stretch is highly, highly unlikely with us playing Minn and Seattle and Chicago away. The Falcons at home is no joke either. I really doubt the Packers will go 6-2. 5-3 or 4-4 is more likely IMO.

But we'll see how they do against Miami. That will certainly tell us a lot.

There's new players coming up and too much dead weight on this team in the form of Matthews, Perry and Cobb.

Reaction score
I see us going 5-3 as well. Sadly that wont be enough to get it done. It always seems like the Falcons are garbage and then break out of their slumps against us. Watch Ryan have 400 yards and Julio Jones have 100+ yards. The Falcons annoy me. Can't you pick another team to have a breakout game against?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Highly unlikely at this point. Come out of the Vikings game 6 -4-1 , with good health and some things cleaned up and a late run is possible.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I'll never say we're done until we're done, but one problem we've had all season is being bad on the road. We still got road games coming up, and if we're going to make the playoffs, that has to change.

Now I'll definitely say, even though this is a week to week league and we won't be losing out, we do have to win this Sunday against the Fins for sure to stay in the playoff race. Losing would put us in s position where it's nearly impossible to win enough to either get the division or the wildcard.

Now, assuming we do beat the Dolphins, the next two games after that will be critical.

I think at minimum we'd need to beat Minny in their new stadium where we haven't won yet. Losing to either Seattle or Atlanta would probably put us out of a path to the playoffs outside of winning the division, but not out of the playoffs altogether I don't think. But if we beat Minny and they lose several other games that I think they will, we're still in play.

After the Minny game, we got Arizona at home, who I think we will crush. And Atlanta will be coming here, and I'm pretty confident about beating them too with their awful road record in cold weather in December.

The game in Chicago will probably be the ultimatum on our season. Assuming we've followed the path I laid out by beating Minny, and not stumbling against Miami, Arizona or Atlanta, we either win the division against the Bears in that game or go home possibly out of the playoffs or at least needing a lot of help to get in them.

That's the way I see this building up

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Between our #1 RB, #2 RB, #3 RB, #3 WR,
#4 WR #1 TE, #2 TE, #3 TE and #4 TE

We have just 2 players in this group that possess at least one full year of playing experience on this team (Jamaal and Lance)
and there is not 1 player in this group with more than 1 full season in GB. As veterans from other teams, Lance and Mercedes barely get used considering their total accrued seasons in the NFL.
Out of these 9 players, 7 players possess 8 games or less (1/2 season) experience in GB.

While we arguably have lots of potential, it arguably takes more than 8 regular season games on a team for a player to realize their potential. This team is largely non cohesive and we saw it again Sunday night. I’m not trying to be negative, just stating that we need to be leaning far more on several of our TE veterans more while we gain experience with the rooks. If those veteran TEs are slow learners (Janis types) then it’s time to move along and cut ties. I’d rather have Tonyan getting experience than wasting Millions if dollars on FA bench warmers. It’s time to challenge our veteran TE group with a multitude of sets. Graham should be playing receiver and paired with at least 1 more TE in every play going forward.

Right now we’re a team in the making and still trying to find our identity. It’s going to take more time than “Miami@GB” to right this ship and part from this iceberg.

This is why I have ripped Ted Thompson and cut both Rodgers and McCarthy slack. They have all that youth and inexperience on this roster, and Cobb hasn't been healthy enough this season to help Rodgers out, plus the OL having Bulaga already in bad shape and now out and everyone on the opposite side of Bakh playing as bad as Don Barclay.

Ted Thompson was too busy drafting dud defensive picks while also leaving the barn devoid of veteran WRs and OLmen that could have been ready to go for when we moved on from Jordy.

This is why our offense has been stagnant because of Ted Thompson's poor offensive personnel management.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather go 3-12-1 and miss the playoffs so McDouble gets fired rather than 10-5-1, 1 playoff win, and management is fooled McDouble is anything better than a god awful coach. We will not sniff a Super Bowl until he is gone. It's for the best to root against this team so he's gone.

That's a terrible approach to being a Packers fan. Did you take the same one in 2010 after the team started 3-3???

It's not about comparing this season to 2010 or any other season in football history. It's about looking at a 12.5 year sample size of a head coach and diving deep on how he hasn't made the most of his talent for the bare minimum over the last 4 years while turning into a questionable at best play caller. It's about looking at the future of this team and being honest with yourself, 'do you want this guy leading the next certain amount of years?' My answer to that is hell no.

This past week someone here made a thread that was titled something like 'Was the 2016 Run the Table end to the season really a bad thing?'. The OP mentioned how if that 2016 Packer team missed the playoffs there would have likely been major needed overhaul. The 2014 Golden State Warriors got knocked out of the 1st round by the Clippers by 3 points with Steph Curry not getting a foul called on a 3 point attempt. Mark Jackson was fired after the game. Steve Kerr was hired and the rest is history. If Mark Jackson gets past the first round that year, he likely doesn't get fired, however the Warriors have NOWHERE NEAR the success they are having now with this new version of the NBA. I'm sure Warrior fans would tell you it sucked losing that series to the Clippers at the time, but it obviously turned out to be for the best in the future. Now what if the Packers after the 2016 season hired Sean McVay (who was hired by the Rams that SAME offseason). Our Packers look a hell lot better now. For the future of this team, McCarthy not being here is for the best and I'll stick by that opinion.

Last edited:

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like we see eye to eye for the most part. Then let me ask you this. Do you truly believe that when his knee is 100% healed. Lets pretend he doesn't play til next season. Tons of heal time. Do you believe that he would be just as mobile/fast as he was 2 or 3 seasons ago? How about 75% as fast as he was a few years back?

Well, I'm 66 and I'm just as mobile as I was at 64.

Reaction score
I definitely prefer to play the rookie receivers ahead of another veteran tight end beside Graham resulting in MVS and EQ getting much needed experience though.
Captain, I would agree with you “after” we are mathematically eliminated. Right now it’s more important we win these next couple games and get back over .500
My point was to get more experience out there on the field. The ancillary snap count should be awarded to our two TEs (other than Graham) with a combined total of 18 years experience and 6,700+ yards of career performance. Not a guy who has 143 yards on his resume.

I believe we have grossly underutilized our TE group past Graham in 2018.

D

Deleted member 6794

Highly unlikely at this point. Come out of the Vikings game 6 -4-1 , with good health and some things cleaned up and a late run is possible.

If the Packers win the next three games I definitely expect them to make the playoffs.

This past week someone here made a thread that was titled something like 'Was the 2016 Run the Table end to the season really a bad thing?'. The OP mentioned how if that 2016 Packer team missed the playoffs there would have likely been major needed overhaul. The 2014 Golden State Warriors got knocked out of the 1st round by the Clippers by 3 points with Steph Curry not getting a foul called on a 3 point attempt. Mark Jackson was fired after the game. Steve Kerr was hired and the rest is history. If Mark Jackson gets past the first round that year, he likely doesn't get fired, however the Warriors have NOWHERE NEAR the success they are having now with this new version of the NBA. I'm sure Warrior fans would tell you it sucked losing that series to the Clippers at the time, but it obviously turned out to be for the best in the future. Now what if the Packers after the 2016 season hired Sean McVay (who was hired by the Rams that SAME offseason). Our Packers look a hell lot better now. For the future of this team, McCarthy not being here is for the best and I'll stick by that opinion.

There are definitely a hundred examples of a new head coach not having even close to that success though.

Captain, I would agree with you “after” we are mathematically eliminated. Right now it’s more important we win these next couple games and get back over .500

I believe we have grossly underutilized our TE group past Graham in 2018.

In my opinion having MVS and EQ on the field increases the chances of the Packers winning compred to playing Kendricks and Lewis though.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Packers most certainly need to get it in gear quickly. Starting with this Sunday.

At the risk of stating the obvious that many others have pointed out already, the Packers simply HAVE to beat the Vikings in a couple weeks. I don't feel comfortable relying on a wild card birth to make it to the postseason. Too many competitive teams right now.

You've got Washington/Philly in the East. One of the two will certainly be in the wild card hunt and are both at .500 or better. Chicago/Minnesota in the North, both of which are at 5 wins on the season. New Orleans/Carolina/Atlanta all of which should be in the thick of the race until the end. Then you have LA/Seattle in the West.

The cool thing about where the Packers currently sit is that they essentially control their own destiny. To @captainWIMM 's point, if the Packers win the next 3 (which is a tall, tall order), it would be difficult for the Packers not to make the playoffs. A win over Seattle could prove to be crucial in a potential wild card hunt, and the winner of the Minnesota/Green Bay game will settle who wins the tie breaker if it comes to that. The next most critical game is Chicago after that.

I fully expect the Packers to win this Sunday. And I like the Packers chances against Seattle even at their place. Then it's the big Sunday Night showdown in Minneapolis.

The Packers have been in tougher spots then where they are now. The only difference this time around? Hoping that the Packers offense can turn things around as opposed to the defense. And I will never better against Rodgers when the money's on the line.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well getting into the playoffs is obviously the main concern right now, but should our boys make it in, is anyone honestly afraid of any of these teams?

LA Rams: Our boys have proven that they can keep up with them. In my opinion they'll be one and done like last year and are equivalent to the 2016 Dallas Cowboys in regards to hype. (On a side note I'm extremely salty about this game, because I lost 100 dollars to a friend who is a Rams fan.) And we can't really say LA is much of a home field advantage considering how many Go Pack Go chants were heard.

New Orleans Saints: This would PROBABLY be the biggest obstacle imo as Brees likes to throw deep balls a lot and The Saints are capable of scoring on anyone. In the dome we've seen them to be a deadly force, but at the same time Rodgers does play well in domes as well. New Orleans would need HFA otherwise imo they would be done for. This is the team I'd like for us to steer clear from unless we meet them in the NFC Championship game. My only concern is just how the offense hasn't been gelling otherwise I'd welcome the challenge.

Carolina Panthers: A formidable opponent no doubt, but considering how close our previous games have went with this team, I wouldn't be too worried about them. They in my opinion are the Jekyll and Mr. Hyde of the NFC. One day they can play like world beaters, the next they can play sloppy. This would be a great team to exercise our past demons.

Minnesota Vikings: I am sick of everyone going ga ga over this team after having one successful season, and by default no less. I'll go to my grave saying The Packers would've won the division last year had Rodgers not went down. Remember we were 4-1 prior to his injury. In any case this team is highly overrated. They are a good team, but they don't really scare me. My only concern is with QBs like Cousins is that he's going to throw some bombs down the field and I'm nervous when it comes to that as we haven't necessarily prven we are great against stopping the deep ball in my estimation. It's the same reason why i'm nervous about facing Brees right now in the playoffs.

Chicago Bears: Too new and unproven. Nuff said, though I do respect their defense. Wish we got Mack.

Seattle Seahawks: In the same boat as Green Bay in my opinion. Rely a lot on their respective QB's and not much else. I'll take Rodgers over Wilson any day of the week. Plus we also need to avenge 2014 and that fluke of a game.

Atlanta Falcons: I would like nothing more than to beat the breaks out this team, but I am hesitant as Ryan is in that same category as Cousins and Brees as he will throw some deep balls down the field and they have the weapons and firepower to make it an ugly game. This along with New Orleans I'd say we would have to make it a low scoring game and take as much time off the clock. Ryan is prone to make at LEAST one mistake. We just need to be ready when the time comes.

Philadelphia Eagles: I'm not TOO worried about this team, as I would be with New Orleans but I do have a healthy amount of fear of respect for this team. These are the champs and they are for a reason. They are pretty good overall. Not great, but good. Wentz isn't how he was last season, but if we give him time he will shred us. In a few years assuming he's healthy he will be in the elite class in my estimation. We're perfectly capable of beating this team, but this will come down to who outcoaches who.

Washington Redskins: I don't know about anyone else, but looking at that game, that was one of the games we SHOULD have won. There were a lot of things our boys didn't do well, but I think if we met up with them we'd even the score. We CANNOT let Peterson have the field day he had last time, and Alex Smith while he is a game manager, he will get you with the deep bombs. Still I don't think he would outplay Rodgers a second time. (As you can see I'm very paranoid about the deep bombs as we are totally getting killed by them)

So yeah with the exception of New Orleans there isn't really one team that scares me. And even with New Orleans I'm not too scared of them. It's just a matter of if our offense keep up with them.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have we? Dear lord it feels like we never do. In recent memory at least. Maybe the more recent ones just irritate me more and stick to the front of my mind
Well that's the thing. The last time we beat them was up in Lambeau when we had Lacy as our RB. It was a snowy game in which Atlanta almost came back and won. I want to say that was 2014.

Actually it turns out we've faced them 7 times since the SB and are currently 4-3 with them.

It just so happens that recently Atlanta has gotten the better of us in our matchups.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Well that's the thing. The last time we beat them was up in Lambeau when we had Lacy as our RB. It was a snowy game in which Atlanta almost came back and won. I want to say that was 2014.

Actually it turns out we've faced them 7 times since the SB and are currently 4-3 with them.

It just so happens that recently Atlanta has gotten the better of us in our matchups.
The key with Atlanta is not playing them at their place. I think we'll fare well against them at Lambeau in December. And I agree with your point about Ryan. He always gives you chances at turnovers. The reason we couldn't compete with them in Atlanta in the NFC Championship game is because, when he tried gifting us interceptions, we couldn't take advantage. I'm talking about balls that hit defenders in the hands.

That, along with critical mistakes early in the game by Crosby (missed FG) and Ripkowski (fumble as he was racing for the end zone) 10 points wiped out. Score should have been 10-10 after two possessions. Instead, 17-0. Ball game.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The key with Atlanta is not playing them at their place. I think we'll fare well against them at Lambeau in December. And I agree with your point about Ryan. He always gives you chances at turnovers. The reason we couldn't compete with them in Atlanta in the NFC Championship game is because, when he tried gifting us interceptions, we couldn't take advantage. I'm talking about balls that hit defenders in the hands.

That, along with critical mistakes early in the game by Crosby (missed FG) and Ripkowski (fumble as he was racing for the end zone) 10 points wiped out. Score should have been 10-10 after two possessions. Instead, 17-0. Ball game.
Thank you! People always forget about the missed FG and the early fumble when we were in position to score. It was a snowball effect and it pretty much went downhill from there.

Reaction score
In my opinion having MVS and EQ on the field increases the chances of the Packers winning compred to playing Kendricks and Lewis though.
I respect that. So far it hasn’t worked out that way tho. Maybe the ideal situation lies somewhere in between.
Now that Geronimo is out there should be more snaps to go around. It also seems to me that having an increase in double TE sets and pinching the interior line together would offer Rodgers better pass protection and afford better blocking for our rushing attack.
As one example, we supposedly have one of the best blocking TEs in the league (who also poses a threat as a receiver when unaccounted for) but we have a tendency to ignore our strengths and play into our opponent’s hands by forcing the ball downfield rather than giving Aaron some short range options when Graham, Adams or Cobb are covered up.
Having a TE who is multi faceted is exactly what the Dr ordered. When teams start putting 10 in the box like NE just did to us. Getting our TE past that 6 yard range where we have the a high probability of either moving the chains or drawing a foul from an over-aggressive D player like Chung is paramount.
Aaron should have better receiver options underneath vs continually having to throw the pass into the bench. Either our receivers aren’t coming back to the ball when #12 is under duresss (Geronimo was good at that) or we don’t have allowable time (hurried) or both.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well getting into the playoffs is obviously the main concern right now, but should our boys make it in, is anyone honestly afraid of any of these teams?

LA Rams: Our boys have proven that they can keep up with them. In my opinion they'll be one and done like last year and are equivalent to the 2016 Dallas Cowboys in regards to hype. (On a side note I'm extremely salty about this game, because I lost 100 dollars to a friend who is a Rams fan.) And we can't really say LA is much of a home field advantage considering how many Go Pack Go chants were heard.

New Orleans Saints: This would PROBABLY be the biggest obstacle imo as Brees likes to throw deep balls a lot and The Saints are capable of scoring on anyone. In the dome we've seen them to be a deadly force, but at the same time Rodgers does play well in domes as well. New Orleans would need HFA otherwise imo they would be done for. This is the team I'd like for us to steer clear from unless we meet them in the NFC Championship game. My only concern is just how the offense hasn't been gelling otherwise I'd welcome the challenge.

Carolina Panthers: A formidable opponent no doubt, but considering how close our previous games have went with this team, I wouldn't be too worried about them. They in my opinion are the Jekyll and Mr. Hyde of the NFC. One day they can play like world beaters, the next they can play sloppy. This would be a great team to exercise our past demons.

Minnesota Vikings: I am sick of everyone going ga ga over this team after having one successful season, and by default no less. I'll go to my grave saying The Packers would've won the division last year had Rodgers not went down. Remember we were 4-1 prior to his injury. In any case this team is highly overrated. They are a good team, but they don't really scare me. My only concern is with QBs like Cousins is that he's going to throw some bombs down the field and I'm nervous when it comes to that as we haven't necessarily prven we are great against stopping the deep ball in my estimation. It's the same reason why i'm nervous about facing Brees right now in the playoffs.

Chicago Bears: Too new and unproven. Nuff said, though I do respect their defense. Wish we got Mack.

Seattle Seahawks: In the same boat as Green Bay in my opinion. Rely a lot on their respective QB's and not much else. I'll take Rodgers over Wilson any day of the week. Plus we also need to avenge 2014 and that fluke of a game.

Atlanta Falcons: I would like nothing more than to beat the breaks out this team, but I am hesitant as Ryan is in that same category as Cousins and Brees as he will throw some deep balls down the field and they have the weapons and firepower to make it an ugly game. This along with New Orleans I'd say we would have to make it a low scoring game and take as much time off the clock. Ryan is prone to make at LEAST one mistake. We just need to be ready when the time comes.

Philadelphia Eagles: I'm not TOO worried about this team, as I would be with New Orleans but I do have a healthy amount of fear of respect for this team. These are the champs and they are for a reason. They are pretty good overall. Not great, but good. Wentz isn't how he was last season, but if we give him time he will shred us. In a few years assuming he's healthy he will be in the elite class in my estimation. We're perfectly capable of beating this team, but this will come down to who outcoaches who.

Washington Redskins: I don't know about anyone else, but looking at that game, that was one of the games we SHOULD have won. There were a lot of things our boys didn't do well, but I think if we met up with them we'd even the score. We CANNOT let Peterson have the field day he had last time, and Alex Smith while he is a game manager, he will get you with the deep bombs. Still I don't think he would outplay Rodgers a second time. (As you can see I'm very paranoid about the deep bombs as we are totally getting killed by them)

So yeah with the exception of New Orleans there isn't really one team that scares me. And even with New Orleans I'm not too scared of them. It's just a matter of if our offense keep up with them.

The Packers most likely have the talent to compete with any of the teams you mentioned but they have to perform up to their potential to win against either of them. Unfortunately they haven't been able to achieve that for four quarters for most of this season though.

Does anyone know, have we beat the Falcons since we saw them our SB year? I feel like the answer is no.

Actually the Packers are 3-3 against the Falcons after defeating them in the Divisional round during the 2010 playoffs. They have won both games at Lambeau since then though (22-21 in 2013 with Flynn starting, 43-37 in '14).

And not many of those coaches have had transcendent players like Aaron Rodgers or Steph Curry.

Both McCarthy and Kerr deserve credit for developing them in elite players though.

It also seems to me that having an increase in double TE sets and pinching the interior line together would offer Rodgers better pass protection and afford better blocking for our rushing attack.
As one example, we supposedly have one of the best blocking TEs in the league (who also poses a threat as a receiver when unaccounted for) but we have a tendency to ignore our strengths and play into our opponent’s hands by forcing the ball downfield rather than giving Aaron some short range options when Graham, Adams or Cobb are covered up.
Having a TE who is multi faceted is exactly what the Dr ordered. When teams start putting 10 in the box like NE just did to us.

Lewis has actually been disappointing in blocking if used in that capacity and Kendricks is average at best. In addition both have been disappointing as a receiver as well. Therefore in my opinion it would be smarter giving MVS and EQ the majority of playing time.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stupid Falcons were the team that ruined our perfect home playoff record.
First loss of many, unfortunately.

Members online

No members online now.