PFF Grades for Week 2 Best and Worst

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As always 10 snap minimum to make this list below and NO I am not blindly yielding to PFF as gospel so take those ignorant thoughts elsewhere. It's a metric worth sharing so I do:

BEST OFFENSE
Josh Jacobs 77.2
Romeo Doubs 74.4
Dontayvion Wicks 73.9
Elgton Jenkins 70.2
Malik Willis 69.6

WORST OFFENSE
Jordan Morgan 48.5
Bo Melton 52.6 (couple blocking whiffs hurt him)
MarShawn Lloyd - 53.3
Zach Tom 55.8 (look forward to watching this in the All22....seems very low)
Christian Watson - 56.3

BEST DEFENSE
Javon Bullard - 78.3
Jaire Alexander - 70.7
Eric Stokes - 69.1
Carrington Valentine - 65.9
Preston Smith - 65.3 (Mr. Reliable did very well pushing and controlling pocket most of the day).

Eric Wilson only saw 8 snaps so not eligible but put up 99.4 grade lol

WORST DEFENSE

Quay Walker - 40.1 his tackling was the big ding here...
Kingsley Enagbare - 43.7 (the Tom grade of the defense...gonna have to keep eye on the All22 more here)
Rashan Gary - 45.5
Lukas Van Ness - 47.2
Kenny Clark - 48.6

Honorable mentions to Isaiah McDuffie coming through with a 64.4 and one of the highest tackling grades for the unit on the day.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quay didn't look good. I agree with you that he should go outside. He has the speed. And he just picks the wrong hole to hit too many times. I thought that ruffing the passer on VanNess was bogus.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with PFF grades at all but I assume they are out of 100. Still with out a bit of context these numbers don't mean much to me. Just curious as to where say the top and bottom 5 players in the league fall. If they are all in the high 90's 77 isn't that great but if no one scores more than the 80's its not bad.

I would appreciate it if you could answer that. I don't need specific players or scores just where the highest and lowest generally fare.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quay didn't look good. I agree with you that he should go outside. He has the speed. And he just picks the wrong hole to hit too many times. I thought that ruffing the passer on VanNess was bogus.

Eh.....he caused the QB's helmet to nearly come off. It's getting called if any ref sees that.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with PFF grades at all but I assume they are out of 100. Still with out a bit of context these numbers don't mean much to me. Just curious as to where say the top and bottom 5 players in the league fall. If they are all in the high 90's 77 isn't that great but if no one scores more than the 80's its not bad.

I would appreciate it if you could answer that. I don't need specific players or scores just where the highest and lowest generally fare.

If a guy sees a lot of snaps and gets an overall grade above 90 that's an All Pro level year...if he's in the 80s he is ELITE that year...70s' legit NFL star that year likely...

Example of this last year only 4 DL had 90+...only 14 had an 80+
Only 1 LB had a 90+...only 8 had an 80+

OL had just 2 90+ guys...18 80+ guys

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a guy sees a lot of snaps and gets an overall grade above 90 that's an All Pro level year...if he's in the 80s he is ELITE that year...70s' legit NFL star that year likely...

Example of this last year only 4 DL had 90+...only 14 had an 80+
Only 1 LB had a 90+...only 8 had an 80+

OL had just 2 90+ guys...18 80+ guys

Thanks, that helps a lot.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Appreciate it @tynimiller ! I'd be interested to go back and watch some too as I didn't think either one of Tom or Morgan were particularly terrible, but maybe I missed something.

Any idea how much a fumble "dings" your grade? I'd be curious as to what Jacobs' grade would've been if that's a TD rather than a fumble. Dunno how hard the hit is there.

Might want to edit - looks like the actual grade was removed for Quay? Or I am blind... :p

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They've stated that a 60.0 means a guy is replacement level...not good nor bad, just average.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did Myers get dinged for vomiting on the ball on a critical third down play and ruining the play? This is a question I need the answer to! Quay Walker continues to play like a massive disappointment. He is the fastest guy to the wrong gap almost every time and the time he gets to the correct gap, he can't tackle anyone.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As always 10 snap minimum to make this list below and NO I am not blindly yielding to PFF as gospel so take those ignorant thoughts elsewhere. It's a metric worth sharing so I do:

BEST OFFENSE
Josh Jacobs 77.2
Romeo Doubs 74.4
Dontayvion Wicks 73.9
Elgton Jenkins 70.2
Malik Willis 69.6

WORST OFFENSE
Jordan Morgan 48.5
MarShawn Lloyd - 53.3
Christian Watson - 56.3

BEST DEFENSE
Javon Bullard - 78.3
Jaire Alexander - 70.7
Eric Stokes - 69.1
Preston Smith - 65.3 (Mr. Reliable did very well pushing and controlling pocket most of the day).

WORST DEFENSE

Kingsley Enagbare - 43.7 (the Tom grade of the defense...gonna have to keep eye on the All22 more here)
Rashan Gary - 45.5
Lukas Van Ness - 47.2
Kenny Clark - 48.6

Honorable mentions to Isaiah McDuffie coming through with a 64.4 and one of the highest tackling grades for the unit on the day.
Worst D - 4/5 #1 draft choices
Worst D - $26+M Cap hit; $11+M cap hit

Best/Worst O - If Melton gets dinged for poor blocking, how does Jacobs skate by the 7-point fumble?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Worst D - 4/5 #1 draft choices
Worst D - $26+M Cap hit; $11+M cap hit

Best/Worst O - If Melton gets dinged for poor blocking, how does Jacobs skate by the 7-point fumble?

I doubt turnovers are weighted but I could be completely wrong. Jacobs will quickly overcome one issue because of the amount of other times he had the ball....stats 101, limited data set will always be impacted greater by a really bad or really good data point than a larger data set.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with PFF grades at all but I assume they are out of 100. Still with out a bit of context these numbers don't mean much to me.

They've never meant **** to me. It's mainly based on subjective opinions. They will often actually rate a QB play as negative for throwing a high risk ball that resulted in a TD when there was another receiver wide open for a short gain on the same play because they will say the result is not factored in and they will consider it an ill-advised throw. That's just the easiest example.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Another player I noticed had terrible effort was Watson, so that grade is about correct. There was a play on an end around (Melton?) that ended up being a -8 loss. #9 let his guy run by him with a clear inside path to the ball UNTOUCHED. Yet what was 2X as bad?? He then gives up while dancing around like he’s lost as Melton fights for his life. Watson misses a second defender coming to assist. Meanwhile Melton actually escaped that first Defender and would’ve had a path to the LOS at minimum + But immediately gets accosted by Defender #2, the one Watson let go by him AGAIN. He actually had 2 missed tackles in 1 play for -8
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

In the second photo (apologies on quality) Melton breaks free with pure effort. Only to get accosted a 2nd time by another free runner and 2 more behind him. He literally had zero help from Watson who was caught being a spectator from whistle to whistle.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

So in total Watson had 41 snaps. ZERO production and actually was the primary cause of an -8 yard play. Here’s a case where #9 causes the play to break down and Melton gets charged with a - play when he should’ve at least made LOS.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Melton also scored low because he was caught holding on a Jacobs sideline play that still would’ve went for a 1st down but got 15+. Erased by holding
Also Melton had a +16 yard long play in just 16 snaps vs Watson caused -8 production in 41 snaps. This is a player we’re talking about in Watson that cost TWO draft 2nd Round selections and… Notta

Reaction score
One other note I’ll make and then I’ll shut up. Someone on that OL coaching staff needs to see what I’m seeing. We’re pulling blockers in a designed play but the blockers are almost so focused on their assignment outside that the let Defenders scoot underneath with a direct path to the ball carrier. Might well not have ANYONE pull blocking at the second level if you let 2-3 Defenders assault our player behind the LOS. I’m actually surprised we didn’t get someone hurt.
I get the concept, but the inside blocker at minimum needs to have eyes behind him and put up a shield for backside pursuit. He then should break off his assignment and mitigate that defender pursuing from behind. Otherwise the play will never get momentum.

We got caught with happy feet. Our OL on those designed plays outside zone or in the flat area were awful. Running all around wild and often 5 yards downfield and it wasn’t just Myers barfing. I saw others barfing on lack of awareness. Gotta tighten up those end arounds or just don’t run them we don’t need - yards

Last edited:
Reaction score
PS. There’s NO WAY that Wyatt doesn’t make Top 5 Defense. He was likely top 3 imo

1 Sack
2 TFL
1 PD
Devonte literally chased down Richardson and rode him like a bull to the ground as he threw the ball on an option play which forced sideline throw and stop on 3rd down. He ran at the same speed as Richardson in pursuit and overwhelmed him similar to last years Fields and LVN play but opposite side.

Btw that was in just 25 snaps

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PS. There’s NO WAY that Wyatt doesn’t make Top 5 Defense. He was likely top 3 imo

1 Sack
2 TFL
1 PD
Devonte literally chased down Richardson and rode him like a bull to the ground as he threw the ball on an option play which forced sideline throw and stop on 3rd down. He ran at the same speed as Richardson in pursuit and overwhelmed him similar to last years Fields and LVN play but opposite side.

Btw that was in just 25 snaps
He was 7th. Wyatt is more and more like he was in college an elite dude but one that can get washed out a play or two.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did Myers get dinged for vomiting on the ball on a critical third down play and ruining the play? This is a question I need the answer to! Quay Walker continues to play like a massive disappointment. He is the fastest guy to the wrong gap almost every time and the time he gets to the correct gap, he can't tackle anyone.
Quay really needs to be moved to the Will where his job would be see ball, get ball. That's the strength of his game and where he'd be best suited.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quay really needs to be moved to the Will where his job would be see ball, get ball. That's the strength of his game and where he'd be best suited.

Then why did the team draft Cooper? If Quay is playing Will, you can't have a 229lb rookie playing inside. Quay is built to be an inside linebacker, he just has zero instincts. I also think Quay would be a massive liability in coverage. He can't figure out which gap to hit, I don't even want to think about him trying to drop into a zone or cover a TE downfield.

I think the team knows they need to move on from Quay and drafted Cooper to be the guy to play Will going forward.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then why did the team draft Cooper? If Quay is playing Will, you can't have a 229lb rookie playing inside. Quay is built to be an inside linebacker, he just has zero instincts. I also think Quay would be a massive liability in coverage. He can't figure out which gap to hit, I don't even want to think about him trying to drop into a zone or cover a TE downfield.

I think the team knows they need to move on from Quay and drafted Cooper to be the guy to play Will going forward.
Not arguing that point. I'm just saying Quay's position where he'd be most successful would be will.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

BEST OFFENSE
Josh Jacobs 77.2
Romeo Doubs 74.4
Dontayvion Wicks 73.9
Elgton Jenkins 70.2
Malik Willis 69.6

WORST OFFENSE
Jordan Morgan 48.5
MarShawn Lloyd - 53.3
Christian Watson - 56.3

BEST DEFENSE
Javon Bullard - 78.3
Jaire Alexander - 70.7
Eric Stokes - 69.1

WORST DEFENSE

Rashan Gary - 45.5
Lukas Van Ness - 47.2
Kenny Clark - 48.6

I definitely wonder about the Tom ranking. I read a blurb out here where he's one of just a handful of offensive linemen who haven't allowed sacks, tackles for loss, etc, this season after two games.

I agree with you. their rankings sometimes miss because it gets too specific in dinging a player for one or two plays, not the entire body of work.

But, on the other hand, reading the Christian Watson ding, I'm inclined to agree. He hasn't progressed. If anything, he's taken a step back. Both Wicks and Reed seem to be moving ahead of him, and I think Doubs always has been better, because of his hands.

I did like how Bullard played. The kid is going to be a good one for years to come if he keeps moving forward. He seems to be able to read plays well, as they develop. Having him next to McKinney makes them a really solid pair at safety.

I was very happy seeing Alexander and Stokes step it up at CB. Those two can be dynamic, if they keep their head in the game. For Alexander, it had to be a sigh of relief for him and the team, after the week one implosion.

Carrington Valentine. What can I say. This is one of those guys who will always be a wild card when it comes to being a huge part of your team. This is a kid who you have to cheer for. He just quietly goes about his business making a bigger niche for himself on the team every week.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not arguing that point. I'm just saying Quay's position where he'd be most successful would be will.
Yes. We'll have to see if he can go and get those RBs and ends on short passes like McDuffie does very well. And it looks like Hopper or Cooper will have to go in the middle. A few games will probably tell if their bodies can handle it. Certainly Hopper has better instincts in there.