milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they saw J’aire out his backup Valentine out. Seems like a pretty logical thing just attack our weakest link, which was Nixon. Also scoring a TD would’ve kept us from Running the ball. Once our Run game was muted they can T up on Pass Rush sets, which they have had success with so far this season.

Mitigate our Strength, Elevate their own strength. The issues they ran into was GB did a good job slowing their Running game, but they still accomplished making us abandon the Run. The #1 Rushing Offense had 3 1st downs in 4 quarters.
And Jones did not get his Lambeau leap.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they saw J’aire out his backup Valentine out. Seems like a pretty logical thing just attack our weakest link, which was Nixon. Also scoring a TD would’ve kept us from Running the ball. Once our Run game was muted they can T up on Pass Rush sets, which they have had success with so far this season.

Mitigate our Strength, Elevate their own strength. The issues they ran into was GB did a good job slowing their Running game, but they still accomplished making us abandon the Run. The #1 Rushing Offense had 3 1st downs in 4 quarters.
It was a strange game. Way too many turnovers. The Vikings have a solid D, but there are a number of guys 30 and older (I think Gilmore is 34) and it showed in the 2H. They were tired. The Packers have youth on their side in that regard.

The Vikings are certainly a lot better than I thought in preseason. They get Hockenson back in a few weeks as well. I'm not sold yet on the rebirth of Darnold, but his work so far speaks for itself. He's not making mistakes either. So the Packers should know they are in a dogfight in maybe the best conference in the NFL. Detroit is rock solid and even the Bears are figuring things out.,

Once again, I'm glad they didn't give in Sunday, and loved MLF taking a chance on a 2 pt conversion. That's playing to win, something we rarely if ever saw with MM.

A loss is a loss, especially in the conference. The Packers have a chance to run off a few wins now. First things first - take care of business at SoFi.

Reaction score
It was a strange game. Way too many turnovers. The Vikings have a solid D, but there are a number of guys 30 and older (I think Gilmore is 34) and it showed in the 2H. They were tired. The Packers have youth on their side in that regard.

The Vikings are certainly a lot better than I thought in preseason. They get Hockenson back in a few weeks as well. I'm not sold yet on the rebirth of Darnold, but his work so far speaks for itself. He's not making mistakes either. So the Packers should know they are in a dogfight in maybe the best conference in the NFL. Detroit is rock solid and even the Bears are figuring things out.,

Once again, I'm glad they didn't give in Sunday, and loved MLF taking a chance on a 2 pt conversion. That's playing to win, something we rarely if ever saw with MM.

A loss is a loss, especially in the conference. The Packers have a chance to run off a few wins now. First things first - take care of business at SoFi.
That’s kinda where I’m at. It’s hard to stay on top in this league. It wasn’t long ago that Jared Goff had this amazing streak of no INT. His more recent performance is sporadic. Had a good Monday Night game but he’s
5TD 4INT. Im picking on Goff because he just played and came to mind but he’s not the only QB this happens to.

Sam Darnold across the last 6 years ranged from s 71.9 to 92.6 Passer rating. He’s currently at 118.9%. Ok a granted he’s probably got a better team around him, but that’s a massive jump from last years 85.1%. Everyone has a hot streak but that same everyone tends to come back to earth. Look at our own QB we need not go far. 4 games is still a relatively small sample and it takes 1 or 2 injuries to an OL or QB to get banged up and reality sets in and sets in quick.
I’m not suggesting Darnold will go back to 85.1% overnight, but he won’t hold that Passer rating much longer you can mark my words he’s no Drew Brees prime. The Honeymoon is about to be over. Jets and Lions up next and that’s just a Teaspoon full.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s kinda where I’m at. It’s hard to stay on top in this league. It wasn’t long ago that Jared Goff had this amazing streak of no INT. His more recent performance is sporadic. Had a good Monday Night game but he’s
5TD 4INT. Im picking on Goff because he just played and came to mind but he’s not the only QB this happens to.

Sam Darnold across the last 6 years ranged from s 71.9 to 92.6 Passer rating. He’s currently at 118.9%. Ok a granted he’s probably got a better team around him, but that’s a massive jump from last years 85.1%. Everyone has a hot streak but that same everyone tends to come back to earth. Look at our own QB we need not go far. 4 games is still a relatively small sample and it takes 1 or 2 injuries to an OL or QB to get banged up and reality sets in and sets in quick.
I’m not suggesting Darnold will go back to 85.1% overnight, but he won’t hold that Passer rating much longer you can mark my words he’s no Drew Brees prime. The Honeymoon is about to be over. Jets and Lions up next and that’s just a Teaspoon full.
It is kind of amazing though at how lucky the queens have been at QB - from Randall Cunningham to Daunte Culpepper to Cousins to Darnold, they all had good days in MN. But they never won a championship, and they won't this year either.

Reaction score
It is kind of amazing though at how lucky the queens have been at QB - from Randall Cunningham to Daunte Culpepper to Cousins to Darnold, they all had good days in MN. But they never won a championship, and they won't this year either.
It’ll be interesting to see where the Vikings go from here. I do think they have a “well rounded” team. Probably teetering on a Top 10 O+D but leaning more Defense. Sooner or later they’ll meet a team where they actually play from behind and that’s when mistakes tend to happen. GB isn’t done yet. We have lots of young players trying to find their way and that’s part of owning a young team.

34 penalties in 4 contests and that doesn’t include the ones that were declined. #29 ranked penalty calls and #26 ranked penalty yardage.

5 missed FG’s in 4 games inside 50 yards (including the miss that drew a flag and 1st down). Thats an absolute anomaly and it’s highly likely going to straighten itself out. #30 ranked FG % team

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’ll be interesting to see where the Vikings go from here. I do think they have a “well rounded” team. Probably teetering on a Top 10 O+D but leaning more Defense.
They are solid on D, no doubt. Their D is a pretty old group, overall. A lot of guys 30 or older, a few, like Gilmore, 24, 35 y/o. So they're gonna tend to tire out in the second half, and we saw that Sunday.

Now everyone gets tired in the 2H, conditioned athletes or not. But a 25 y/o guy is just gonna last a little longer than a 35 y/o guy who has had a long career and probably an injury or two or three.

Not knocking the queens. They are way better than I thought, and Hockenson will be back if a few weeks. Tough, tough conference, but I like the Packers' chances to come out on top.

Reaction score
They are solid on D, no doubt. Their D is a pretty old group, overall. A lot of guys 30 or older, a few, like Gilmore, 24, 35 y/o. So they're gonna tend to tire out in the second half, and we saw that Sunday.

Now everyone gets tired in the 2H, conditioned athletes or not. But a 25 y/o guy is just gonna last a little longer than a 35 y/o guy who has had a long career and probably an injury or two or three.

Not knocking the queens. They are way better than I thought, and Hockenson will be back if a few weeks. Tough, tough conference, but I like the Packers' chances to come out on top.
I think the experience or age is beneficial more earlier in the season. However having the youngest team in the NFL comes with advantages. They tend to heal up faster or stay on the field more. Also both later in games and later in the season young guys tend to wear well. I guess what I’m saying is one would expect the young group to clean up their act and be more consistent as the year unfolds.

Surprisingly. GB is the #3 producing Offense in the league. The D has been porpoising, which isn’t a big surprise once we switched DC and Schemes or concepts.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings do have an easier schedule from here on out having already beat the 49ers and the Texans.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
The Vikings caught the Niners at the right time. Really though, and I hate the queens, they just look solid. Their D is good, but old. And can Darnold really play at a 118 plus QBR the rest of the way? Don't know.

Well the easiest way to take the Vikings down a notch is to beat them. I really didn't think we'd be having this conversation at any point this season. So much for that.

Reaction score
The Vikings do have an easier schedule from here on out having already beat the 49ers and the Texans.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Good stuff thanks.
That strength # will change. Both Chicago and GB are gradually going to surge. Detroit is playing at a high level and they play them 2X. Seattle proved they are resilient against a good team in Monday night they’ll put up a fight. The Jets Defense will slow MN, it’s ? Is will there Offense rise up. #12 isn’t going down easy. The Falcons can’t be dismissed they’ve recently played really good football.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Packers need to focus on LA. If we can get a rebound Win things will look arrow up. Should have J’aire back at least the following week and 5 weeks since Jordan’s sprain. Thats an area it should be mostly healed up.
A 3-2 start and GB would be very much a factor in the North. I think the Sunday game showed we just started slow but we’re only a shave behind a veteran 4-0 team. Nothing to be ashamed of at all.
Get a road Win and gradually clean up holding calls and drops.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

MLF did much the same against New Orleans last year. We trailed 17-0 in the 4th quarter. At 17-9 he went for 2 and got it. We scored again to get to 18-17. The difference is that our defense stopped them forcing a long FG that they missed. Sunday the Vikings marched down 8nto the red zone.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers need to focus on LA. If we can get a rebound Win things will look arrow up. Should have J’aire back at least the following week and 5 weeks since Jordan’s sprain. Thats an area it should be mostly healed up.
A 3-2 start and GB would be very much a factor in the North. I think the Sunday game showed we just started slow but we’re only a shave behind a veteran 4-0 team. Nothing to be ashamed of at all.
Get a road Win and gradually clean up holding calls and drops.
Catch the Rams at a good time. But they have a lot of pride. They fought hard to defeat Frisco but they got beat up by the Bears. Their coach will have a game plan.

Reaction score
Catch the Rams at a good time. But they have a lot of pride. They fought hard to defeat Frisco but they got beat up by the Bears. Their coach will have a game plan.
My only concern is we used to not travel well that far. That was with older Rodgers and an older veteran team. It seems like travel doesn’t impact us as much with a young group.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only concern is we used to not travel well that far. That was with older Rodgers and an older veteran team. It seems like travel doesn’t impact us as much with a young group.
For kids it is an adventure. When I was their age I loved travelling. Now I cannot stand it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF did much the same against New Orleans last year. We trailed 17-0 in the 4th quarter. At 17-9 he went for 2 and got it. We scored again to get to 18-17. The difference is that our defense stopped them forcing a long FG that they missed. Sunday the Vikings marched down 8nto the red zone.
Good example. I remember that game and it was a key game in getting to the post season. Well, they all are I guess.

I'm generalizing here, but how many times have we seen an offense march down the field, burn clock, and seal a win? It happened in the playoff game against the Niners, and again this past Sunday. And those are only two examples. (And yes a couple of easy FGs in both games would have made a huge difference, but so would forcing a 3 and out now and then.)

And at least to me, the offense is more predictable on these drives, so that should be easier to defend. They certainly want to keep the ball in bounds, so sideline passes except for a 3rd down conversions would be rare. That means the ball is likely going into the flat, probably nothing more than 15-20 yards, tops. Running is also very likely. That should be an advantage for the D, but at least historically, it hasn't been for the Packers.

I get it. It's Q4 and the D is close to exhaustion. But these guys are built for these situations, mentally as well as physically. So exhaustion is not an excuse. I've run a few marathons, and I'm exhausted those last 3 miles. When we consider ourselves athletes, pros or not, it's time to dig deep no matter how much it hurts as we near the end and finish the deal.

All that complaining from me and I don't have a solution. I hate that when other people do it. Grrrrrrr! Really I'm just venting.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For kids it is an adventure. When I was their age I loved travelling. Now I cannot stand it.
Off topic. I traveled for work - Europe, Middle East, and India - and all over the upper 48 states. Retired now and I hate flying. I'm done with international travel, and I'll deal with airplanes for vacations to cities in the states - mostly for cruises now. Anyway milani, your comment just triggered me, twice now today!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good example. I remember that game and it was a key game in getting to the post season. Well, they all are I guess.

I'm generalizing here, but how many times have we seen an offense march down the field, burn clock, and seal a win? It happened in the playoff game against the Niners, and again this past Sunday. And those are only two examples. (And yes a couple of easy FGs in both games would have made a huge difference, but so would forcing a 3 and out now and then.)

And at least to me, the offense is more predictable on these drives, so that should be easier to defend. They certainly want to keep the ball in bounds, so sideline passes except for a 3rd down conversions would be rare. That means the ball is likely going into the flat, probably nothing more than 15-20 yards, tops. Running is also very likely. That should be an advantage for the D, but at least historically, it hasn't been for the Packers.

I get it. It's Q4 and the D is close to exhaustion. But these guys are built for these situations, mentally as well as physically. So exhaustion is not an excuse. I've run a few marathons, and I'm exhausted those last 3 miles. When we consider ourselves athletes, pros or not, it's time to dig deep no matter how much it hurts as we near the end and finish the deal.

All that complaining from me and I don't have a solution. I hate that when other people do it. Grrrrrrr! Really I'm just venting.
Physical superiority and stamina comes from conditioning. In hockey they play shifts and it is always noted when players are gassed from having a longer shift. It is like a 90 second sprint. Football is different. I am not sure why and how. Lombardi prided himself in the Packers conditioning. He proved that come the 4th quarter teams were worn down by the Packers. And he was correct. Those 2 a days in August paid off.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Physical superiority and stamina comes from conditioning. In hockey they play shifts and it is always noted when players are gassed from having a longer shift. It is like a 90 second sprint. Football is different. I am not sure why and how. Lombardi prided himself in the Packers conditioning. He proved that come the 4th quarter teams were worn down by the Packers. And he was correct. Those 2 a days in August paid off.
Yeah I remember the two a day practices in August. I think the union stopped those, but not sure.

And conditioning can be "practiced" right along with play execution. Younger guys (well any players) who work hard at cardio conditioning will simply stand up better as the game gets long.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the comfort of my own home.
I used to like primitive camping. Now a Hotel room or at least a Cabin.
I hear ya. Our idea of roughing it is a Holiday Inn Express. My wife will never camp. I've done it a few times when we lived in CA and I liked it.

But now, vacations are cruises or a trip to CA to see friends. As far as football, it's just better IMO to watch from home. With all of the cameras and commentators now we have an unparalleled view of the game. I've been to Lambeau, and way, way before all the renovations, so that's off my bucket list. And Lambeau in December IS roughing it. Well, it can be.