Offensive Talent

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense looking better than offense as a general rule has been the case since I can remember starting to pay attention to football. Even before most teams started holding out starters for the preseason. and even before teams starting holding out all their starters in the preseason, October and november football was always much better than September football. There are things that competition brings out that you can never replicate in practice and with the salaries these guys get now, they aren't going to expose them to that in the preseason enough to have it do any good. a couple of series of safe plays isn't going to get it done either.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched more NFL football this weekend than I normally do and I saw quite a few "first week" offenses look far from rusty. Rodgers isn't a rookie QB, this offense doesn't have a lot of new moving parts to it.

How many of them were playing against a Top ranked D? And AR12s 1Q play was as different from anything we've seen from him in the past.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point, I tend to agree with this and it also isn't going to be that much easier against the Vikings Defense. However, am I the only one sick of hearing this every fricking year? "The offense just needs time to jell and get rolling, they are rusty". I watched more NFL football this weekend than I normally do and I saw quite a few "first week" offenses look far from rusty. Rodgers isn't a rookie QB, this offense doesn't have a lot of new moving parts to it.

So yeah, I get it, Rodgers didn't play all preseason because of this and that, this is a new offense, etc.....but what the hell are they doing during the offseason and preseason? This isn't like they all just met last Thursday, took off their street clothes, put on the pads and decided to play together again.

I will probably take some heat over this post, but I'm really getting tired of "they just need a few games to knock the rust off". Then do THAT! In the preseason.

Yup all you gotta do is look at the Raiders last night. I do wish we had the Raiders offensive line. Get this ...

Derek Carr was never sacked last night. Not even once against one of the best defensive lines in all of football led by Von Miller and company.

Man, give Rodgers that kind of protection and he'd be unstoppable

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
How many of them were playing against a Top ranked D? And AR12s 1Q play was as different from anything we've seen from him in the past.

Again, I understand who they played, but this is an "excuse" heard at the start of almost every season, "the offense is just rusty". So lets forget about the fact that they played a great defense, would they have been rusty against the Dolphins? Why are they rusty? What do they need to do different, so as not to be so rusty?

My point is, it was quite obvious to me that the Packer offense was "rusty" and that probably wouldn't have mattered had they been playing the Bears or the Dolphins. Sure against the Dolphins, they may have scored more points, but the "rust" probably would have still been there.

Like I said, I saw quite a few teams look far from rusty on offense, why is this a continual issue for the Packers offense?

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm sympathetic to your gripe, but this is clearly a different situation with a new coach and new offense.

Also clearly a situation that doesn't seem to change from year to year, even with the same coach and offense. ;)

Yes, this year, new coach, new offense, but most of the same players on the field. Let's hope they find a way to shake this rust off before Sunday.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point, I tend to agree with this and it also isn't going to be that much easier against the Vikings Defense. However, am I the only one sick of hearing this every fricking year? "The offense just needs time to jell and get rolling, they are rusty". I watched more NFL football this weekend than I normally do and I saw quite a few "first week" offenses look far from rusty. Rodgers isn't a rookie QB, this offense doesn't have a lot of new moving parts to it.

So yeah, I get it, Rodgers didn't play all preseason because of this and that, this is a new offense, etc.....but what the hell are they doing during the offseason and preseason? This isn't like they all just met last Thursday, took off their street clothes, put on the pads and decided to play together again.

I will probably take some heat over this post, but I'm really getting tired of "they just need a few games to knock the rust off". Then do THAT! In the preseason.

It’s a weird razor’s edge. I recall losing Jordy to his ACL in first preseason game. We’re those reps, maybe 8 of them, going to be meaningful?

I know what you’re saying, but, I’ll take a healthy Rodgers with his full complement of players to start the season over losing a few essential pieces in meaningless games.

Agree they might have looked better had starters played throughout preseason, but it sure didn’t help ATL v. MIN. They played starters every preseason game.

I’ve just recently become in favor of keeping your best players out if possible.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, I understand who they played, but this is an "excuse" heard at the start of almost every season, "the offense is just rusty". So lets forget about the fact that they played a great defense, would they have been rusty against the Dolphins? Why are they rusty? What do they need to do different, so as not to be so rusty?

My point is, it was quite obvious to me that the Packer offense was "rusty" and that probably wouldn't have mattered had they been playing the Bears or the Dolphins. Sure against the Dolphins, they may have scored more points, but the "rust" probably would have still been there.

Like I said, I saw quite a few teams look far from rusty on defense, why is this a continual issue for the Packers offense?

I'm not sure if this is a trend.

In 2018 AR and offence scored 24 points against the Bears D last season for comeback win.
In 2017, we struggled a bit initially before dominating Seattle post halftime for a win.
In 2016 we scored 27 points against Jaguars.

It's only this season we've really seen a significant struggle to get just a move on. And I don't think we'd have suffered this much had we played against the Dolphins.

As to rustiness, we could have dealt this better at pre-season. Ideally I would not want many starters to play preseason, a new coach/strategy may be one of the legitimate reasons to take the risk.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There are pros and cons to playing your starters in the pre-season, and every coach has to weigh the risk vs. gain.

On the risk side....

The NFL's Worst Preseason Injuries

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/246994564/biggest-preseason-injuries-in-football

Food for thought.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know what you’re saying, but, I’ll take a healthy Rodgers with his full complement of players to start the season over losing a few essential pieces in meaningless games.

Well there is a downside to coming out to start the season rusty, besides the obvious lack of production. Are you exposing Rodgers to more risk of getting injured if your Offense is playing rusty?

I totally understand what people are saying, "new offense, new HC/OC, odd preseason stuff, tough defense to face the first game", but this is not the first time we have heard "the offense is just rusty", nor are the Packers the first team to ever face these perceived "issues" before the start of the season.

All I am looking for is "Why are they continually rusty to start the season?"

Had the Packers lost the game against the Bears, I think this probably would have been more of a hot topic. Also, none of this will matter, if the offense does shake this rust off and continue to win, but its still a question that I will have next season. :)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Also clearly a situation that doesn't seem to change from year to year, even with the same coach and offense. ;)

Yes, this year, new coach, new offense, but most of the same players on the field. Let's hope they find a way to shake this rust off before Sunday.

What I mean is that this excuse could have been bogus in years past, but valid in this particular case.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There are pros and cons to playing your starters in the pre-season, and every coach has to weigh the risk vs. gain.

On the risk side....

The NFL's Worst Preseason Injuries

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/246994564/biggest-preseason-injuries-in-football

Food for thought.

Again, this isn't just about how much you play your starters in preseason games, although the Packers were the Poster Child for really holding them out this year. It is a growing trend in the NFL to do so and I get it. However, teams that practice this aren't all necessarily coming out their first regular season game and playing rusty on offense. Aaron Rodgers himself and other vets claim that they get enough reps in the practices and scrimmages leading up to the regular season, that preseason games really aren't that necessary. Yet, the Packers offense continues to be labeled "Rusty" at the start of many seasons.

I even posted several weeks ago when most of us were once again predicting "this rust", that I was fine with a bit of rust, if it meant a healthy team. However, after watching the Packers offense on Thursday night and other offenses on Sunday/Monday, I would say the level of rust seems a lot thicker than many teams.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What I mean is that this excuse could have been bogus in years past, but valid in this particular case.
While I agree with you that THIS season, seems to have more concrete reasons to explain the rust, it still bothers me to hear it every year.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Better offensive line play would've resulted in more points scored as well. You can chalk that up to rust or whatever, but also, Lane Taylor just flat out sucked. Turner allowed some inexcusable pressures, and Linsley didn't play a particularly great game as well.

AR missed some throws that he normally makes in his sleep, but the Packers wouldn't have scored only 10 if he had more time to run the offense.

And again...it was against the #1 defense in football from last year. And they will finish absolutely no lower than 3rd this season as well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS is going to make you eat those words.

For what it's worth, Rodgers raved about the offseason Trevor Davis has had. I could see him being used in some speed packages and integrated a little bit more into what they're going to do.

I swear if both Davis and MVS are lined up...talk about intimidating ANY defense for over the top routes. Those dudes got burners.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I, like many of you, convinced myself that last Thursdays game was played so poorly because of the lack of real game situations. Also like many of you, I watched other teams light it up and look head and shoulders above the Packers. I hope that I am proven wrong but I don't see an urgency with this offense or more importantly Aaron Rodgers. His body language still sucks, he seems lackluster and what's worse, I am not sure he cares. I have always defended his way of doing and handling things, passing it off as "his way" but it is getting harder and harder to defend. I'm sure it is an opinion that will make most of you laugh but I think it deserves some merit. The defense, IMO, has a lot of promise and has me excited. I never thought that I would have more confidence in the D than the O EVER! Weird times in Packer land for sure.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I hope that I am proven wrong but I don't see an urgency with this offense or more importantly Aaron Rodgers.

I think people make way too much of that part of his demeanor and in a negative way. He tries to lead by staying calm and play under control. He is the same way when he speaks. He does get emotional at the right time, but he has pretty much always played as a cool cucumber.

All that said, he definitely gets frustrated and lets it show, but who wouldn't, he wants to win. Whether that frustration effects him and/or his teammates game, I guess is up for debate.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I, like many of you, convinced myself that last Thursdays game was played so poorly because of the lack of real game situations. Also like many of you, I watched other teams light it up and look head and shoulders above the Packers. I hope that I am proven wrong but I don't see an urgency with this offense or more importantly Aaron Rodgers. His body language still sucks, he seems lackluster and what's worse, I am not sure he cares. I have always defended his way of doing and handling things, passing it off as "his way" but it is getting harder and harder to defend. I'm sure it is an opinion that will make most of you laugh but I think it deserves some merit. The defense, IMO, has a lot of promise and has me excited. I never thought that I would have more confidence in the D than the O EVER! Weird times in Packer land for sure.
Gotta account for who many of those world beater looking teams played as well. We won v. 2018's Top Defense in the NFL. Rodgers and his guys did enough to get the W in game 1 on their turf, on what was arguably one of our O's worst days... I believe we will be fine. They will right the ship on the O side.

KC crushed JAX
BAL took it to MIA
DAL took it to NYG in Dallas
NE crushed a reeling PIT
SF whooped the TB dumpster fire
PHI beat the always flailing WAS
MIN pounded a troubled ATL in their Viking Space Ship
An improved TEN laid the wood to the overhyped CLE
OAK beat DEN for the 1st time in 9 years. DEN a shell of themselves

Again, we beat CHI with our O having nearly one of their worst performances. We are STACKED with talent. 42DD.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Short answer.....Yes.

Long Answer: Not every time. ;) Lutz missed a shorter one to end the half. Even the quality kickers are a crap shoot from 50+ yards. Even Gostkowski was 2 of 5 last year from 50+ and lifetime, 71%

that one guy for the Colts missed all kinds of kicks and I hear he is, or at least was, a pretty good kicker. Been around a while too I think. made some pretty clutch kicks in his career from what I hear. Whats his name Vanilla or ventura or vinilli or something like that

Well the good news, from what I understand, replacing your kicker is super easy. Jets will have a Pro Bowler in there kicking by Sunday! :coffee:

Super easy, barely an inconvenience. (search for "pitch Meetings" on you tube if you don't get the reference. If you are a fan of movie I guarantee you will laugh.)

Guys guys guys it was a week 1 effort with a new offense run by players who had seen precious little game experience in the first 4 weeks and Rodgers is seeing his first action of the year. IMO wait until weeks 3-4 before evaluating the level of talent on this offense.

Against a pretty darn good defense I'd add.

Like I said, I saw quite a few teams look far from rusty on offense, why is this a continual issue for the Packers offense?

I know what you mean but I think your frustrations are a little misplaced. Its not the offenses fault it didn't play in the preseason. On the other hand I saw a lot more offense this past weekend then I was expecting as well so your point about why were they not rusty is valid. What dd those teams do that knocked the rust off.

Patriotplayer is that you ;)

Reaction score

We certainly can’t lower our standards and “accept” that this is going to be the norm for however many weeks. We got a pass week 1 (Thank You D and ST)
We now have film on who’s who on that MN Defense and I absolutely expect to exploit them a little.
Our goal should be “the rust comes off right here, right now”

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB has alot to prove on offense. Guess I'm comparing it to the days where we had Jones, Jennings, Nelson,Driver, Finley, Cobb. Outside of Rodgers and Adams............

I believe Davis should start, all he does is produce. I wish GB would give Rodgers someone with the speed of like John Ross of the Bengals.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, 4.22 would rock.

Where in the F do we find that?!!!! Ha! Cal, I’m all for it.

Btw, Ross had a career day, nearly reaching his yds total for all of 15 games played last year of 210 yds total with 158 yds on 7 catches w 12 targets Sunday v. Seattle. He had 58 targets last year w 21 receptions. If he keeps that up we’ll all know him.

Wanted to temper my remarks though by seeing what he’s done previously. Not a good set of numbers last year. Fast doesn’t equal hands/route running, etc.

Really, all this stuff about finding a quality, true #2 WR I find kind of overwhelming. I mean, we have quality WRs that Rodgers trusts. He seems to have showered props on every one of them that made this roster.

Let’s just let them work and see what they do. If there is a problem, I believe Gutes would address it.

Not like we’ve had a bunch of drops or blown assignments/routes from this WR group.

Last edited: