Ed Policy named as Murphy's successor

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree completely 13 that Bob Harlan was the guy who changed things, and the order you have is right. Wolf and Holmgren and then Favre. Then White was the guy who made it ok for an NFL player to want to come to GB. Harlan was the best, easily the best executive to ever grace 1265, or maybe any franchise. And it's been 30 years of fabulous football since, and still going. I still remember the utter horror of Packer football in the 70s and 80s. It looked like the franchise was doomed. Thankfully, that changed.

(And White's free agency was huge news in the NFL because no one knew where he was gonna go. SI ran a cover story with a cut-out picture of White in a blank uniform - and the background consisted of the logos of all NFL team uniforms - I think. No one suspected GB, no one. I'm pretty sure Favre was already in town before White arrived and had something to do with recruiting him. Not sure about that part so maybe you or someone can verify.)
I don't think it hurt, but it wasn't anywhere near the deciding factor. Brett Favre wasn't really Brett Favre yet; just a kid with some potential. All anyone knew about him at that point was that he was a talented quarterback with a hell of an arm but a questionable head.

He started 13 games the year before Reggie signed, going 8-5 with 18 TDs and 13 INT, 85.3 QB rating. I seriously doubt that resume was a dealmaker for White, but at the same time, he could see that the kid had talent and might someday be a pretty good quartherback.

He was also very impressed with how tough and determined Favre was. Philadelphia played the Packers in 92, and Favre had a decent game, but what Reggie noticed was the Eagles' defensive line beat the hell out of this young kid and it did not faze him one bit. That counted a lot for Reggie.

It was Wolf and Holmgren who blew him away and made him want to be a part of what these guys were trying to build.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was Wolf and Holmgren who blew him away and made him want to be a part of what these guys were trying to build.
...and back to your original point, Harlan. This article talks about how the culture of the organization reeled him in. The Forrest Gregg and Lindy Infante cultures certainly wouldn't have done that, or the reality is Ole and Judge Parins. They weren't leaders like Harlan was as president.

This is also a good reminder that Harlan was an internal candidate - for those of you that always poo-poo internal candidates because 'they don't change anything.'

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts