Brayden Narveson

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
On the Poor Man's Packers podcast, they said that Tennessee told Narveson that their goal was to groom him to take over for Folk. They hoped to bring him onto the practice squad for the year. Interesting that a low draft pick got Tennessee to let him go.
The Packers didn't trade for Narv Dawg. They picked him up through the waiver wire. It probably was TN's plan to put him on the practice squad, but the Pack snagged him up.
In the same podcast, they mentioned that Narveson's wife is a huge Packers fan from western Wisconsin. They also said that in his first practice, Narveson nailed all of his field goals including several well over 50 yards. They then quoted Jaire Alexander saying something to the effect that Narveson appears to be the real deal. One practice doesn't make a man, but it's definitely a good start.
Yes, she is from Prescott, WI. It's barely in in WI. It is a river city. I actually think it is in MN's regional broadcasting area.

I've already got my Narv Dawg jersey on order.

OP
OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers didn't trade for Narv Dawg. They picked him up through the waiver wire. It probably was TN's plan to put him on the practice squad, but the Pack snagged him up.

Yes, she is from Prescott, WI. It's barely in in WI. It is a river city. I actually think it is in MN's regional broadcasting area.

His Wife's family is all Packer fans. It's kind of a mixed area. Their TV actually does come out of the Twin Cities, but they also get the Eau Claire/La Crosse stations as well, so they do get the Packer games.

The last time I was there was 56 years ago. I loved it. It's one of those places where everyone knows you name, and a handshake is a confirmed contract. I really liked it. How much it's changed, I don't know.

Reaction score
His Wife's family is all Packer fans. It's kind of a mixed area. Their TV actually does come out of the Twin Cities, but they also get the Eau Claire/La Crosse stations as well, so they do get the Packer games.

The last time I was there was 56 years ago. I loved it. It's one of those places where everyone knows you name, and a handshake is a confirmed contract. I really liked it. How much it's changed, I don't know.
I think it’s neat when that happens to a native that’s a lifelong fan. You can tell her parents were Packer lifers as she just had to call them immediately. According to an interview with Narveson

Krabs

Reaction score
Although in college they're basically 20 yard FGs, but in the NFL they are like 33 yard FGs.
This is true, but 196 for 196 is still pretty awesome. Usually somewhere along the way they shank one even at 20 yards.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW, Jaire Seems like he's sold on the guy:

Jaire Alexander's comments prove the Packers have finally got it right at kicker

He has seen enough.

I saw that headline and was like I'm sorry...how ignorant of a reporter to claim such a headline....

We literally just cut two guys that we had battle all TC and preseason....signed a guy that his team cut DESPITE him being young....and HE IS THE RIGHT GUY WITHOUT QUESTION??

Now, I say that but Brayden Narveson has been a very solid Kicker for years now...let's look at his college career:

As a career he has been almost perfect at extra point attempts...his only miss came in 2021 when he was at WKY.

From 10 - 29 yards he is at 18 for 20 or 90%
From 30 - 39 yards he is at 23 for 27 or 85.2%
From 40-49 yards he is at 26 for 32 or 81.3%
From 50+ he is at 4 of 12 or 33.3%

He isn't a BOOMER...but for what it is worth he has been incredibly good for a young leg sub 40 and if he hones his craft a touch more like many kickers do he could be a gem. He has actually ever since his season ended at NC State (graduate student that final year from WKY) he has been doing just that.

A kicking school hosted by Gary Zauner - one of the most respected kicking coaches in the nation - saw Brayden not just attend but win the contest/competition at the culmination of it by consecutively hitting 51, 54, 57 and 60...Brayden in the offseason changed his aiming point on longer kicks and slight mechanics change as well because that 50 yard and deeper range is something he strongly feels he can get much better at, leg strength has never been the issue.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thanks for the correction about the waiver.

Prescott is also very close to Ellsworth, home of the Ellsworth Creamery and their fine cheesecurds.

Didn't Tammy Baldwin introduce legislation to allow western WI communities the option of receiving the Packers broadcast instead of the Vikings? The problem is that the Twin Cities are so close to the border that many folks buy homes just over the WI border in order to pay lower taxes, while still benefiting from working in the metro. The good thing is that there are lots of Packers bars along the border in WI as well as all over the Twin Cities. In fact, it's usually only 1-3 games per season that conflict with the Vikings so we are able to watch most games even though we are in a different broadcast zone. The NFL knows that they need to show Packers games here as much as possible. It really angers Vikings fans. For 29 years the Vikings flagship sports radio station has even hosted the Packer Review show (Dave Sinykin) each Sunday morning. Irate Minnesota fans still call in to complain, but business knows where their bread is buttered!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction about the waiver.

Prescott is also very close to Ellsworth, home of the Ellsworth Creamery and their fine cheesecurds.

Didn't Tammy Baldwin introduce legislation to allow western WI communities the option of receiving the Packers broadcast instead of the Vikings? The problem is that the Twin Cities are so close to the border that many folks buy homes just over the WI border in order to pay lower taxes, while still benefiting from working in the metro. The good thing is that there are lots of Packers bars along the border in WI as well as all over the Twin Cities. In fact, it's usually only 1-3 games per season that conflict with the Vikings so we are able to watch most games even though we are in a different broadcast zone. The NFL knows that they need to show Packers games here as much as possible. It really angers Vikings fans. For 29 years the Vikings flagship sports radio station has even hosted the Packer Review show (Dave Sinykin) each Sunday morning. Irate Minnesota fans still call in to complain, but business knows where their bread is buttered!
My uncle recalls being in his teens b4 the Vikings existed and Packer fans extended from lake Michigan to the Rockies.

Krabs

Reaction score
Looks like both Baldwin and Gallagher have tried to get this passed. Looking on congress.gov, the bill was introduced 09/20/2023 by Baldwin, but is just sitting in the Senate. Then on 01/11/2024 Gallagher introduced it in the House of Reps stating, "No Wisconsinite should ever be subjected to the torture of watching the Vikings or the Lions play over the Packers,". :laugh: It's truly a nonpartisan bill. Not sure why it won't get passed. Maybe it did, but I can't find it in law. Only a bill. It's called the "Go Pack Go Act".

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Narveson. I will say that the picture I keep seeing of him kicking shows his left leg really extended and I think he's leaning back some. That is a little concerning to me about him possibly slipping when the field isn't perfect. But I and everyone will know a lot more about his mechanics after we see him kick a few.

Reaction score
I don't know anything about Narveson. I will say that the picture I keep seeing of him kicking shows his left leg really extended and I think he's leaning back some. That is a little concerning to me about him possibly slipping when the field isn't perfect. But I and everyone will know a lot more about his mechanics after we see him kick a few.
I saw a similar photo. It reminded me of Crosby. Where he used to get full extension for maximum torque. It’s actually pretty impressive and probably why he has shown 60+ range.

OP
OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My uncle recalls being in his teens b4 the Vikings existed and Packer fans extended from lake Michigan to the Rockies.
This is correct. In fact, they were all the way out to the West coast, and Alaska. If you check, you'll still find a lot of radio stations that carry Packer games all the way through that territory, because the people haven't let go of their Packers.

I can remember how much of a battle it was for TV stations in Minnesota back then. A lot of them wanted to keep carrying the Packer games, and forget about the Vikings. It was only because of the rules that came down from the networks and NFL that forced the change.

I remember how the Duluth/Superior stations refused to give up until they threatened to take all NFL games away if they didn't accept the Vikings.

I was stationed in Montana, in the Air Force, back in the 60s, and the local stations out there carried the Packer games and the Saskatchewan Rough Riders each week. I really got into those Riders games as well.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like both Baldwin and Gallagher have tried to get this passed. Looking on congress.gov, the bill was introduced 09/20/2023 by Baldwin, but is just sitting in the Senate. Then on 01/11/2024 Gallagher introduced it in the House of Reps stating, "No Wisconsinite should ever be subjected to the torture of watching the Vikings or the Lions play over the Packers,". :laugh: It's truly a nonpartisan bill. Not sure why it won't get passed. Maybe it did, but I can't find it in law. Only a bill. It's called the "Go Pack Go Act".
Gallagher is a quitter so I doubt his attempt will be pushed through. [Really he quit the House. We did a special primary election to replace him last month.]

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hope he works out. We saw Justin Tucker miss a long one tonight.

Krabs

Reaction score
Gallagher is a quitter so I doubt his attempt will be pushed through. [Really he quit the House. We did a special primary election to replace him last month.]
Yep, I'm well aware. I don't blame him. Politics stinks.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I don't know... I thought Narvesson, except for the Mason imitation looked like a keeper for the most part.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know... I thought Narvesson, except for the Mason imitation looked like a keeper for the most part.
Narvesson played well. With the exception of the doink, his kicks were straight and near the middle. The JS is giving him gas for hitting the upright, but considering the playing field and his time with the Packers, I thought he did very well. A keeper and one less thing to worry about IMO.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I remember how the Duluth/Superior stations refused to give up until they threatened to take all NFL games away if they didn't accept the Vikings.
Mid-80's I was in Superior for a year, working in Duluth and I had to drive to Ashland to find a tavern with one of those huge satellite dishes (remember those?) to watch Packer games...and I did. I loved the area but for this dyed-in-the-wool Packers fan, it was a deal breaker...much like when the company wanted me to go to Red Oak, Iowa. I about broke into tears when they dangled Manitowoc in front of me.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mid-80's I was in Superior for a year, working in Duluth and I had to drive to Ashland to find a tavern with one of those huge satellite dishes (remember those?) to watch Packer games...and I did. I loved the area but for this dyed-in-the-wool Packers fan, it was a deal breaker...much like when the company wanted me to go to Red Oak, Iowa. I about broke into tears when they dangled Manitowoc in front of me.
I ran several Grandma's Marathons in Duluth. Duluth is a very cool, very chic city. That's a bit surprising considering that the horrible Superior is adjacent. It's like two very different worlds.

What kind of job took you to so many rural locations?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I ran several Grandma's Marathons in Duluth. Duluth is a very cool, very chic city. That's a bit surprising considering that the horrible Superior is adjacent. It's like two very different worlds.

What kind of job took you to so many rural locations?
Banking. I was the guy who cleaned up "troubled" branch locations.Business Inventory floor-planning. Baraboo and Racine too.

Turned down jobs in D.C. and Chicago right out of college because I couldn't live the concrete jungle life.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Narvesson played well. With the exception of the doink, his kicks were straight and near the middle. The JS is giving him gas for hitting the upright, but considering the playing field and his time with the Packers, I thought he did very well. A keeper and one less thing to worry about IMO.
It is what it is. But that was a crunch time kick that was very makeable. If we were to make the playoffs this year it would be a killer.

Members online

Latest posts