Brandon McManus

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His off the field issues aside, he is an upgrade and probably the best available at this point in the season. He can't be any worse. *knock on wood*
He's an upgrade over Narveson, that's true. And look, don't get me wrong, I'm relieved we have him. I'd have even taken Carlson back at this point, if it were an option. I think we're all relieved to see the end of Narveson. But let's take a step back and try to keep our expectations modest.

Last year, Carlson was ranked #24 among field goal kickers, at 81.8%.

Macmanus was #26 - 81.1%.

Which is 3 ticks below his career average of 81.4% (which, in turn, is still 4/10 of a percent below Carlson's average in 23). We're in much better shape than we were 36 hours ago, but we didn't exactly hit the Nick Folks lottery.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, Gute said he’s “very, very comfortable” with us signing him.

McManus, his attorney, and Tony Buzbee (who was representing the two plaintiffs) have all said at this point the matter is “resolved”. Whether that means the civil case was dropped or settled outside of court, I’m not sure, but in whatever case it seems to be over.
So are you telling us that it's now a matter of......"Touch-and-go"? :coffee:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't know much at all about Hale, but I guess if Gutekunst thinks he's got a better furture than Narveson, he probably knows a little bit more about the situation than I do.
I don't know much about Hale, but besides the financial commitment to him, he's a free PS roster spot. I am guessing that the Packers like his potential or I doubt he is still there getting a weekly check of $12,500. I think in the long run, the best thing for Narveson is a clean break from the Packers. Even if he was put on the PS and brought back due to McManus not working out/getting injured, I don't think a week, a month or 3 will ever change the pressure that he would face kicking for the Packers again, at least this season. I wish the best for the kid, but go find a warm spot, work on your technique, get your head right and hope for a tryout elsewhere.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know much about Hale, but besides the financial commitment to him, he's a free PS roster spot. I am guessing that the Packers like his potential or I doubt he is still there getting a weekly check of $12,500. I think in the long run, the best thing for Narveson is a clean break from the Packers. Even if he was put on the PS and brought back due to McManus not working out/getting injured, I don't think a week, a month or 3 will ever change the pressure that he would face kicking for the Packers again, at least this season. I wish the best for the kid, but go find a warm spot, work on your technique, get your head right and hope for a tryout elsewhere.
Hale (6-1, 203) is a rookie who began his career at Oklahoma State as a walk-on. The Gosford, New South Wales, Australia, native was a two-time Lou Groza Award semifinalist (2020, 2023) and earned second-team All-Big 12 honors in 2023. He finished his college career 43 of 54 on field goal attempts to give him the fifth-highest field-goal percentage (.796) in school history. Hale's 43 field goals rank No. 8 in OSU history. He made 47 consecutive PAT attempts from 2021-23 to tie for the 10th-longest streak in school history.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's an upgrade over Narveson, that's true. And look, don't get me wrong, I'm relieved we have him. I'd have even taken Carlson back at this point, if it were an option. I think we're all relieved to see the end of Narveson. But let's take a step back and try to keep our expectations modest.

Last year, Carlson was ranked #24 among field goal kickers, at 81.8%.

Macmanus was #26 - 81.1%.

Which is 3 ticks below his career average of 81.4% (which, in turn, is still 4/10 of a percent below Carlson's average in 23). We're in much better shape than we were 36 hours ago, but we didn't exactly hit the Nick Folks lottery.
But he at least has survived the last decade. In a decade will we remember Narveson or Carlson? ( Maybe his brother ) All things equal for this one season in crunch time I will take my chances with a veteran.

Staff online

Members online