A Training Camp Battle is in Store For The Green Bay Packers Wide Receivers

If the Packers only carry five wrs this season, who will earn the last spot?

• Jeff Janis

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • DeAngelo Yancey

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Malachi Dupre

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Max McCaffrey

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6794

Nelson was out for all but 1/3 of playoff game 1 and didn't play in game 2.

While Nelson missing significant time in the playoffs probably resulted in Cook getting more snaps I believe Allison (119 snaps, 57.8%) benefitted the most by Jordy not being able to play.

H

HardRightEdge

While Nelson missing significant time in the playoffs probably resulted in Cook getting more snaps I believe Allison (119 snaps, 57.8%) benefitted the most by Jordy not being able to play.
Clearly, as the new #3 in Nelson's spot.

In playoff game 1, Nelson took 16 snaps, Allison 40 and Janis 16 in a 71 snap game. Cobb sat for 16 snaps. Cook bumped up to 69%, around a 10% bump from his late regular season games.

In playoff game 2, all the WR snaps went to Adams, Cobb and Allison except 5 for Davis and 1 for Janis in a 66 snap game. Cook went up to 76% snaps.

The playoff departure from weeks 12-17 was an attempt to replace Nelson with a mix of mostly Allison and some Janis with a snap bump for Cook in game 1. For game 2, they didn't like what they were getting from Janis (again), so Davis got a few chances to show if he'd learned anything and Cook got another bump.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Wasn't both Adams and Allison banged up during the playoffs as well? With the Packer offense, you can never have too many capable WR's, on the 53 as well as the PS. While I know there are some Jeff Janis fans out there, but when he is being kept strictly for his Special Teams skills and guys who started the year on the PS or under him in the depth chart get snaps ahead of him, you really have to wonder how long you keep the guy on the 53. I hope we see his skills at WR greatly improve and if they don't, one of the younger WR's earns the roster spot due to his potential at WR and his immediate abilities on Special Teams.

D

Deleted member 6794

With the Packer offense, you can never have too many capable WR's, on the 53 as well as the PS. While I know there are some Jeff Janis fans out there, but when he is being kept strictly for his Special Teams skills and guys who started the year on the PS or under him in the depth chart get snaps ahead of him, you really have to wonder how long you keep the guy on the 53. I hope we see his skills at WR greatly improve and if they don't, one of the younger WR's earns the roster spot due to his potential at WR and his immediate abilities on Special Teams.

I highly doubt Janis will ever fully grasp the playbook and therefore won't constantly have an impact as a receiver.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will likely use 2 TE sets often this year, and the need to keep as many WR's will drop at least one. It will be a fight for 4 thru 6, or 4&5 for sure.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I highly doubt Janis will ever fully grasp the playbook and therefore won't constantly have an impact as a receiver.

Given that this will be his 4th year in the league and the final year of his rookie contract, it doesn't look promising. I don't want to turn this into another Janis thread, but I do think JJ will once again be passed by on the WR depth chart by at least a few rookies and it will ultimately come down to "how bad do we need Jeff for special teams". Janis definitely earned a spot there after his 2015 performance, but in 2016, I didn't find him all that special.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
We will likely use 2 TE sets often this year, and the need to keep as many WR's will drop at least one. It will be a fight for 4 thru 6, or 4&5 for sure.
We finally have the personnel to do this, and I'm anxious to see it.

There will be some very big plays out of that formation this year.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
We finally have the personnel to do this, and I'm anxious to see it.

There will be some very big plays out of that formation this year.

With all these guys they got and the new personnel options to go along with AR12 taking snaps it's gonna be a "Ferrari with Snow Tires".

With that said I don't believe Janis makes 53 this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

Janis definitely earned a spot there after his 2015 performance, but in 2016, I didn't find him all that special.

Janis struggled early on special teams during the 2016 season as well but significantly improved his performance over the course of the season.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm pretty sure Janis makes the roster. The Packers would not have made him special teams captain for the Rams game if they did not intend to keep him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Janis makes the roster. The Packers would not have made him special teams captain for the Rams game if they did not intend to keep him.
Unless it was his Parting gift. ;)

I agree though, but if he does make the team, can they quickly find someone else to return kickoffs? He did fine his first season doing it, and maybe he is being told to return them from 5 yards deep for the practice or the blocking has been poor, but starting with the ball short of the 25 after every kickoff shouldn't happen.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd return every kick in the preseason. no blocking lanes can be created unless you're running it out. Those guys up front need work and practice.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes. I changed my vote from Dupre...although I hope they can still hang on to him. But I voted for Janis. In a limited capacity he has done well.

Unfortunately due to the injury he missed last week's game. I didn't see him get any balls last night unless he did after I stopped watching.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd return every kick in the preseason. no blocking lanes can be created unless you're running it out. Those guys up front need work and practice.
Agreed, I guess we will see just what Janis can do in the regular season. Him back there still returning kickoffs last night, was another indicator to me he has a spot on the 53. If he was on the bubble, they would have been auditioning someone else back there, much like they did with Davis and McCaffrey on punts.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is my ranking currently.
  1. Jordy Nelson
  2. Randall Cobb
  3. Davante Adams
  4. Geronimo Allison
  5. Jeff Janis
  6. Trevor Davis
  7. Max McCaffrey

All 3 of Yancey, Dupre & Clark rank similar.

H

HardRightEdge

This is my ranking currently.
  1. Jordy Nelson
  2. Randall Cobb
  3. Davante Adams
  4. Geronimo Allison
  5. Jeff Janis
  6. Trevor Davis
  7. Max McCaffrey

All 3 of Yancey, Dupre & Clark rank similar.
I'd go along with that. I'd say the top 6 only but I think McCaffrey has shown enough that somebody might snag him if they tried to go PS with him. Davis is very natural catching the ball with soft hands. Were it not for that he'd be gone. That and the speed is something to work with.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Thus the "pretty sure". I would say there is a non-zero probability he'll be cut. ;)

About a year ago TT set the "Surprise Cut" bar pretty high with the Josh Sitton move, so I am never sure as well as a "non-zero probability" of that changing. ;)

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Don't know which position group, but I think there's going to be a surprise cut this time around as well.

Reese2017

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping they cut price so he can move on ,his game improved and he's gonna be a big time player his level of play is good and he will keep improving ,ringo doesn't play nose so I'm wondering how can it be between he and ringo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.