2024 Roster Status/Tracker

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back during his Draft year, he was a popular mock to the Packers

He does fit our type. He has had some injury reasons but still even last year he struggled in some games.
Still we’ve seen it every year…a guy finally puts it together.

Worst case experienced backup with starting history.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Andre Dillard OT signed. Former first round selection who didn't pan out for the Eagles but saw some solid starts last year in Tenn.
As with any signing, if it was at a good price, it might be a really good signing for the Packers and their OL depth. Dillard was a 1st round pick (#22) back in 2019. He has started 19 games, so definitely a guy with a lot of experience.

While I doubt that Gute is viewing Dillard as a starter, he has played G and T on both sides, so his signing takes some pressure off the depth "issue" on the OL. Was kind of surprised to see the Titans cut him lose, it was just last year that they gave him a 3 year $29M deal, but he did have a pretty poor 2023. Hoping new coaching and a new team will rejuvenate him.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As with any signing, if it was at a good price, it might be a really good signing for the Packers and their OL depth. Dillard was a 1st round pick (#22) back in 2019. He has started 19 games, so definitely a guy with a lot of experience.

While I doubt that Gute is viewing Dillard as a starter, he has played G and T on both sides, so his signing takes some pressure off the depth "issue" on the OL. Was kind of surprised to see the Titans cut him lose, it was just last year that they gave him a 3 year $29M deal, but he did have a pretty poor 2023. Hoping new coaching and a new team will rejuvenate him.
Again it's Gute freeing up options for the draft. If a couple of highly ranked OL guys drop to the right spots we can take them anyway and this guy fights for a roster spot or if another player Gute covets drops he won't feel pressured to skip him for more OL depth. Not that I think he would feel pressured to do that but this is just more insurance.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I still see him taking 2 OL and not having to force a 3rd. IMO. As also pointed out the terms will have a lot to do with how many of us ultimately feel about the signing. Guessing it was team friendly.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dillard is a great athlete but unfortunately he's not a good football player. Last year he gave up a whopping 12 sacks and had lots of penalties with the Titans. He was benched after starting the first 10 games and then cut in the off season. I think the Packers look at him as a training camp body that maybe can still get better to the point he could compete for a backup position. His play has actually regressed the past two seasons so hoping he improves is a long shot. I doubt his signing should alter Gute's draft priorities. At least I hope not.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
As of a few days ago, Packers have only one player that's celebrated his 30th B'day, Preston. Very few 28 & 29. Looking to be quite young again.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Preston is still the old guy on the team at 31 and IMO, deserves more recognition. Maybe not a FHOF'er (yet) but he has been a pretty consistent player for the Packers. I am anxious to see what he does under Hafley and with some improved talent around him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Speaking of Roster and changes, for the first time in 30 years, the Packers will have a new equipment Manager, Chris Kuehn. He replaces a guy that will be missed and a fixture in the locker room, Gordon "Red" Batty.

Fortunately, Chris has been Gordon's assistant since 2020 and has been with the Packers since 2010, so the ceremonial passing of the jockstrap should go off without a .....stitch.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Gute is always busy trying to improve the roster. Sounds like he lost out on 2 standout UFL players. Kicker Jake Bates and G Liam Fornadel.

Bates signed with the Lions and Fornadel with the Patriots.

The fact that the Packers already have 3 kickers on the current roster and brought in Bates, leads me to believe that none of those 3 are hitting it out of the park.

The roster is current at 89, so the Packers do have 1 open spot that they can fill.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute is always busy trying to improve the roster. Sounds like he lost out on 2 standout UFL players. Kicker Jake Bates and G Liam Fornadel.

Bates signed with the Lions and Fornadel with the Patriots.

The fact that the Packers already have 3 kickers on the current roster and brought in Bates, leads me to believe that none of those 3 are hitting it out of the park.

The roster is current at 89, so the Packers do have 1 open spot that they can fill.
I think they might have 2 because Odumegwu should have the IPP exemption. I read where he has looked not too bad and has a shot at landing on the PS.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Preston is still the old guy on the team at 31 and IMO, deserves more recognition. Maybe not a FHOF'er (yet) but he has been a pretty consistent player for the Packers. I am anxious to see what he does under Hafley and with some improved talent around him.

I don't think anyone expected Smith to last this long but I said when he signed his last deal it was one that could keep him with the Packers through its entirety and as long as his production holds it still might. It wasn't one of those balloon type deals that hits the last two years with huge cap numbers. At 17.5 and 18.2 his hits for 25 and 26 are not terrible. Recent events with Aaron Jones may forecast a different outcome however. Jones took a reduction in compensation for one year and the Packers asked him to take even more the following year. Smith took a 2.5 million dollar reduction for this year but like Jones the last two years did not change. Could Smith be in for a similar fate? Working against him of course will be his age and any younger guys trying to take his spot. Given that he will be older it would not surprise me if he would be willing to agree to further pay cuts. One thing I am fairly sure of is that as long as he is here he will be the oldest player on the team and I am fine with that. He's been steady, reliable and a leader. Sometimes those guys are worth paying a bit more for. Apparently it wasn't in Jones' case but there were extenuating circumstances.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think anyone expected Smith to last this long but I said when he signed his last deal it was one that could keep him with the Packers through its entirety and as long as his production holds it still might. It wasn't one of those balloon type deals that hits the last two years with huge cap numbers. At 17.5 and 18.2 his hits for 25 and 26 are not terrible. Recent events with Aaron Jones may forecast a different outcome however. Jones took a reduction in compensation for one year and the Packers asked him to take even more the following year. Smith took a 2.5 million dollar reduction for this year but like Jones the last two years did not change. Could Smith be in for a similar fate? Working against him of course will be his age and any younger guys trying to take his spot. Given that he will be older it would not surprise me if he would be willing to agree to further pay cuts. One thing I am fairly sure of is that as long as he is here he will be the oldest player on the team and I am fine with that. He's been steady, reliable and a leader. Sometimes those guys are worth paying a bit more for. Apparently it wasn't in Jones' case but there were extenuating circumstances.
I look at Preston's contract and really like it. I don't think he is being under or overpaid (by NFL standards). He also has a contract that has always had somewhat of a decent out, for the Packers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think they might have 2 because Odumegwu should have the IPP exemption. I read where he has looked not too bad and has a shot at landing on the PS.
I actually don't know what the roster number is right now. I just saw in an article that they had 1 spot open. My quick math told me that means 89 currently on the roster, but you may be right, could be 90 currently with Odumegwu.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smith never missed games. Until he starts to or he starts dropping in production his contract is gold to have on this young team.