2024 2nd Rd pick #45 Edgerrin Cooper LB

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Edgerrin Cooper as a draft prospect but does the fact that the Rams traded a REALLY good off-ball linebacker to the Titans for a fifth-round/sixth-round pick swap not sort of illustrate the true value of the off-ball linebacker position? The Packers used a second-round pick on a guy who the Packers will be happy becomes as good or a little better than a guy who just got traded for the difference between a fifth and sixth round pick. I'm not going to go back and do some analysis of who else the team could have drafted besides Cooper, but wouldn't the team be better now and in the short-term with a certified top-15 off-ball linebacker and whoever they could have drafted in the second rather than Cooper and extra cap space? I don't pretend to know the answer and maybe Cooper becomes the next Fred Warner but it's certainly something I think people should think about relative to positional value and the draft.
We have downplayed the importance of middle linebackers for so long that I am as happy as can be with what we have. I don't see Wilson staying as the starter for very long. Both Cooper and Hopper will be taking over.

Reaction score
I love Edgerrin Cooper as a draft prospect but does the fact that the Rams traded a REALLY good off-ball linebacker to the Titans for a fifth-round/sixth-round pick swap not sort of illustrate the true value of the off-ball linebacker position? The Packers used a second-round pick on a guy who the Packers will be happy becomes as good or a little better than a guy who just got traded for the difference between a fifth and sixth round pick. I'm not going to go back and do some analysis of who else the team could have drafted besides Cooper, but wouldn't the team be better now and in the short-term with a certified top-15 off-ball linebacker and whoever they could have drafted in the second rather than Cooper and extra cap space? I don't pretend to know the answer and maybe Cooper becomes the next Fred Warner but it's certainly something I think people should think about relative to positional value and the draft.
You might be entirely correct or entirely wrong I Have no idea of what Cooper will become. Imo Jones IV was a solid selection for a 3rd Rounder. Until Edgerrin plays I have no idea his value.

I think we’re talking about 2 different types of LB’s. Ernest had a terrific season in 2023. Yet it took 3 years to gain steam. In the previous 2 seasons Jones averaged 1 INT which is good. However as a Pass rusher averaged just 0.5 Sacks and 2QB hits per season. Then as a Run Defender?? just 2.5 TFL per season. Thats on over 100+ Solo Tackles he was a low 4+% Tackle for loss rate. Thats about a D D- grade in attacking LOS. Ernest had a much better year in 2023 though.

In addition I just looked up Ernest and he’s due to free up $3.16Mil in a post June trade. He’s in the last year of his Rookie deal and LA likely has his replacement on file. Edgerrin Cooper’s Cap hit is less than 50% of Ernest in this year alone, 2024. Edgerrin highest Cap hit in 2027 is less than 85% if what Tennessee just assumed.

So LA just freed up 3.16Mil (minus new player offset) Plus swapped a 6th for a 5th.

I think we’re underestimating the value potential of Edgerrin Cooper. Btw Ernest Jones IV warranted a 3rd Round selection in the 2021 draft, so more similar to Hopper. Really not THAT much different. It’s not like Edgerrin was a Top 20 pick and Jones IV a Top 150 pick or something like that.

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watch the tape. He's the best at diagnosing plays I've seen this team have since maybe a young Brian Noble. He's good in coverage, could work on tackling but that will come with experience. If he hadn't gotten injured right before Family Night he'd be starting in front of Wilson no doubt about it.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting. I do know he's in a contract year. It's possible they felt he was expendable because he wasn't in the rotation. When you read the substance of the trade, it's pretty much a losing proposition for the Rams. It makes me wonder if there weren't some locker room problems, or outside the game issues. If not, you make a strong case for the level of the pick.

That said, I too think that Cooper is going to be a solid addition. It's just frustrating when rookies get hurt and they can't showcase what they've got.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You might be entirely correct or entirely wrong I Have no idea of what Cooper will become. Imo Jones IV was a solid selection for a 3rd Rounder. Until Edgerrin plays I have no idea his value.

I think we’re talking about 2 different types of LB’s. Ernest had a terrific season in 2023. Yet it took 3 years to gain steam. In the previous 2 seasons Jones averaged 1 INT which is good. However as a Pass rusher averaged just 0.5 Sacks and 2QB hits per season. Then as a Run Defender?? just 2.5 TFL per season. Thats on over 100+ Solo Tackles he was a low 4+% Tackle for loss rate. Thats about a D D- grade in attacking LOS. Ernest had a much better year in 2023 though.

In addition I just looked up Ernest and he’s due to free up $3.16Mil in a post June trade. He’s in the last year of his Rookie deal and LA likely has his replacement on file. Edgerrin Cooper’s Cap hit is less than 50% of Ernest in this year alone, 2024. Edgerrin highest Cap hit in 2027 is less than 85% if what Tennessee just assumed.

So LA just freed up 3.16Mil (minus new player offset) Plus swapped a 6th for a 5th.

I think we’re underestimating the value potential of Edgerrin Cooper. Btw Ernest Jones IV warranted a 3rd Round selection in the 2021 draft, so more similar to Hopper. Really not THAT much different. It’s not like Edgerrin was a Top 20 pick and Jones IV a Top 150 pick or something like that.

I wasn't trying to compare Cooper vs Jones. Simply asking if trading a late-round pick for an established really good player at a position most teams don't value that highly and freeing up a second-round draft pick might be a more efficient use of draft assets vs drafting an unknown with that second-round pick and hoping he turns out to be an elite player.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
On 11 defensive snaps, Cooper had the highest PFF grade (85.9) for the Packers, in the Eagles game. McDuffie ranked last on the team with a 35.7. The moral of this post...more Cooper, less McDuffie vs the Colts.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On 11 defensive snaps, Cooper had the highest PFF grade (85.9) for the Packers, in the Eagles game. McDuffie ranked last on the team with a 35.7. The moral of this post...more Cooper, less McDuffie vs the Colts.
Initially I think through this week McDuffie should be playing more because Cooper whom I love has been limited participation or out for about a month with a hip injury just to get him back up to game speed. McDuffie in the long run should NOT be in the starting lineup and I think in the standard 4-3 I think by week 6 it ends up being Cooper Hopper Walker. If by Week 8 McDuffie is still getting the majority of snaps at any of the 3 positions barring injury than Hafley is merely playing his guy to the detriment of the team, and is thereby derelict in his duties as DC.