2023 Wildcard game at Dallas

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not even close to impossible. I think we match up well with them. They've NEVER been able to contain AJ33. They also give up a lot of yards after the catch and we have a few guys who are pretty good at that. Their other weakness on defense is giving up a lot of plays over the middle. Fortunately, that's where Love shines.

I think it will be a close, mid-to-high scoring game with both teams scoring between 24-35 points. Both teams are 7-3 since Halloween. Not sure why some seem to think they are SO much better than us. We beat them last year and we're a better team than we were last year.
You really don't see why? They are scoring 30 PPG and allowing 18.5. We average 22.5 and allow 20.5. They're 8-0 at home, we're 4-5 on the road. If you're just saying we could win, sure I have no disagreements, any given Sunday and all that. But to say you don't understand why some think they're a lot better, well I think it's obvious. Pound for pound and game for game they've been far superior this season.

Saying we beat them last year and are better this year is apples to oranges. We beat Tampa Bay last year too and then they just cleaned our clocks 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Now obviously, they've lost 5 games so there have been times that they've been vulnerable. We have to be at our best, contain them like Buffalo did. Jaire absolutely needs to play and has to have the game of his life against CD, because there's a big dropoff among their weapons after him. Either way, the effectiveness of our pass rush will be essential in containing the Cowboys aerial attack.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We have to be at our best, contain them like Buffalo did. Jaire absolutely needs to play and has to have the game of his life against CD, because there's a big dropoff among their weapons after him. Either way, the effectiveness of our pass rush will be essential in containing the Cowboys aerial attack.
I see it the same way. If the Defense can't stop Dallas in the first half, this game might be over with quickly. Joe Barry and his defense are going to have to play their best game of the season to shut this Cowboy offense and their fans down. Love and the Packers offense are up and coming, but they won't win a shoot-out with Dallas. If the Packers win the turn-over battle by +2, they win this game. Otherwise, the 7+ points that the Cowboys are favored by is easy money.

Of course, I said the same thing back in 2011 when the eventual Super Bowl winning Packers headed down to the Georgia Dome to play the #1 seed and heavily favored Falcons. I will be happy to be wrong again.

The one positive in my mind is the fact that the Lions just went down to Dallas and had it not been for a bad call, won. MLF and Barry should be watching a lot of the film from that game and seeing just what the Lions did.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You really don't see why? They are scoring 30 PPG and allowing 18.5. We average 22.5 and allow 20.5. They're 8-0 at home, we're 4-5 on the road. If you're just saying we could win, sure I have no disagreements, any given Sunday and all that. But to say you don't understand why some think they're a lot better, well I think it's obvious. Pound for pound and game for game they've been far superior this season.

Okay.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course, I said the same thing back in 2011 when the eventual Super Bowl winning Packers headed down to the Georgia Dome to play the #1 seed and heavily favored Falcons. I will be happy to be wrong again.
Were the Falcons that heavily favored? Earlier in the season the Packers played in Atlanta and only lost on a last second field goal, so I thought the Pack had a pretty good chance in the rematch.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Were the Falcons that heavily favored? Earlier in the season the Packers played in Atlanta and only lost on a last second field goal, so I thought the Pack had a pretty good chance in the rematch.
I want to say the line was Falcons by 6 or 7. Somewhere in there.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dallas defense struggles against the run. If we run the ball effectively, get the ball out quick to eliminate their pass rush we will be successful on Offense. The closer the game is late, the more mistakes Dak will make by forcing things.
Dallas is vulnerable, just have to stay calm and apply pressure to make them press.
Jonathan Hankins is difficult to move. We will have to try and run away from him.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Q needs to have his head on a swivel. I don't think we can just put him as a spy on Dak. But I do think he needs to be aware of his running. And I do hope he can bring some wood on their running game. Probably same with Campbell.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just looked. Preston, Campbell, Deguera, Gary, Myers, & Jenkins was injured. We only missed the playoffs one year. Love was rostered so he has an idea of what it takes. Few others like McDuffie got ST snaps.
I was referring to those who were on the roster under McCarthy.

Reaction score
Dallas is much better than that Lions team or that Chiefs team.
That’s an interesting viewpoint.

The Cowboys were a 6 point favorite AT Dallas going into the Lions matchup. Dallas Won on a controversial call that was found to be a mistake by the officiating crew member. Keep in mind that was at AT&T Stadium.
The Packers beat Detroit at Ford Field by 7 last Thanksgiving (not long ago) Granted we forced 3 Turnovers. But I didn’t get the feeling that the Lions were that much better than us.

Also keep in mind we were playing without our RB1 Aaron Jones.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You are correct, surprisingly (to me) the line was only 2 1/2, just looked it up. I just remember thinking that everyone was talking about the Packers getting slaughtered down there against the #1 Seeded Falcons.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s an interesting viewpoint.

The Cowboys were a 6 point favorite AT Dallas going into the Lions matchup. Dallas Won on a controversial call that was found to be a mistake by the officiating crew member. Keep in mind that was at AT&T Stadium.
The Packers beat Detroit at Ford Field by 7 last Thanksgiving (not long ago) Granted we forced 3 Turnovers. But I didn’t get the feeling that the Lions were that much better than us.
The Lions can play physical or they can play fast. That is why they were able to beat the Chiefs and had the Cowboys beat. And they could meet again.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Lions can play physical or they can play fast. That is why they were able to beat the Chiefs and had the Cowboys beat. And they could meet again.
I'd be more than fine with a Packers VS Lions NFCCG matchup. :tup:

That would be an impressive run to the Superbowl. Wins @dallas, @San Fran and @Detroit.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
We are better than that team that beat the Lions and Chiefs or we are better than the Lions and Chiefs? I'm not so sure on either count. I will say this though, I would much rather be playing the Lions or Chiefs this weekend
We are better now than we were a month and a half ago. This team is coming around nicely. If I were a playoff team, I wouldn't want to play us.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Saying we beat them last year and are better this year is apples to oranges. We beat Tampa Bay last year too and then they just cleaned our clocks 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Now obviously, they've lost 5 games so there have been times that they've been vulnerable. We have to be at our best, contain them like Buffalo did. Jaire absolutely needs to play and has to have the game of his life against CD, because there's a big dropoff among their weapons after him. Either way, the effectiveness of our pass rush will be essential in containing the Cowboys aerial attack.
Great observation. There are teams that are much better at home. And this season Dallas is. Even the Lions lost a couple games at home and Frisco is not 8-0 at home either.

Reaction score
A now healthy #33 has been on a fear campaign the last 3 weeks posting 357 yards rushing and 406 yards from scrimmage. To give us some semblance, over the older 16 game season, that’s pacing 1,904 yards rushing and 2,165 All-purpose.
Jones is coming in with a purpose and Dallas had better be on their A game in run D or things could get ugly.. for them.

Add to that a dual TE receiving threat, which we really haven’t had all season. I’d challenge those Dallas iLB with our pair of 250+ TE weapons.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not even close to impossible. I think we match up well with them. They've NEVER been able to contain AJ33. They also give up a lot of yards after the catch and we have a few guys who are pretty good at that. Their other weakness on defense is giving up a lot of plays over the middle. Fortunately, that's where Love shines.

I think it will be a close, mid-to-high scoring game with both teams scoring between 24-35 points. Both teams are 7-3 since Halloween. Not sure why some seem to think they are SO much better than us. We beat them last year and we're a better team than we were last year.
All of your points, plus I'm going to go back to what I said earlier week from Orlovsky, because I think it could be a huge Factor. He pointed out that the Packers run a lot of -and are very good at -motion and play action. He then pointed out that two things that give the Cowboys defense a lot of trouble are motion and play action.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of your points, plus I'm going to go back to what I said earlier week from Orlovsky, because I think it could be a huge Factor. He pointed out that the Packers run a lot of -and are very good at -motion and play action. He then pointed out that two things that give the Cowboys defense a lot of trouble are motion and play action.
Oh, I think putting up 30 points this game is definitely possible. I'm just not sure we stop them from putting up 35.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And a lot of that is because the Dallas D is very aggressive and comes at you right at the snap. But it also means you better execute. You miss one block even for a split second and your jet sweep is buried for a big loss.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, I think putting up 30 points this game is definitely possible. I'm just not sure we stop them from putting up 35.
Especially if Jaire is questionable. I also say our offense falls short of 30 points due to a couple Carlson misses.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are correct, surprisingly (to me) the line was only 2 1/2, just looked it up. I just remember thinking that everyone was talking about the Packers getting slaughtered down there against the #1 Seeded Falcons.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
The Falcons had a very smooth regular season and with all our injuries that year it was questionable if we could slow them down. We barely got in like this time. We eked out a win over the Bears in the last week and we were saved by a last minute interception by Tramon against Michael Vick in Round 1. The Falcons were leaning on facing Philly.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Especially if Jaire is questionable. I also say our offense falls short of 30 points due to a couple Carlson misses.
Head to head Aubrey would win hands down. Washington blocked one last week. Be nice if a ST gaff happens to someone other than us.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was shocked that Anders actually was 81.8% accurate on FGs this season...not great by any means in this day and age, but not horrific. Actually slightly above Crosby's career average.

Of course it probably just feels like he missed more because there were several additional misses on PATs...34 for 39 which is pretty brutal.

Reaction score
I think that’s because the Cowboys play with a fast flowing Defense.
X Packer, Mike Wahle talked about that.
He also pointed out how below average QB’s that have played Dallas were missing some big plays where the DB’s had gotten beat, but they just didn’t have the arm power or vision to capitalize on that. If Jordan sees that he’ll smooth string a 40 yard rope on them.
Dallas allows lots of underneath stuff. The issue with that is a guy like Kraft or Musgrave catching a 5 yarder on a full tilt will surprise people how fast they run at their size. They then pick up 3-4 more yards just running over a DB to leave a short down or just move the chains. You’ll notice Tucker in particular has a tendency to leave players hurt that underestimate his 256lb inertia concept. He doesn’t look to be moving that fast or with that much Power.. until those 2 worlds collide.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.