Trade Deadline Approaching

Reaction score
And all of his family is from the West Coast.

The team Moving to Las Vegas hurt a a little as it added 500 miles from Adams hometown, but yeah it’s still relatively close.
I’ve stayed in Los Altos Hills when Davante was like 6-7 yrs old (I should have gotten his autograph!)
He grew up a hop n skip to Oakland which is where Oakland played again since around the timeframe he was born. It’s also coincidentally surprisingly close to San Fran, which is why Rodgers grew up a 49ers fan

I’ll never forget making an effort to see Stanford University. It was popular at that time because Bill Clinton’s girl went there and I secretly had a crush on her :cool: I was disgusted by how small that campus was. Until I realized later I was at this 2% sized satellite campus and I think Stanford has its own zip code! I’m a just a small town WI boy how was I to know!? :whistling:

Last edited:

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't one of the reasons he left because he said his wife didn't want to live there?
I don't remember. You might be right. You have to wonder if deep down he is regretting that decision. I did hear him say last week he enjoyed his time in GB and left on amiable terms.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
We are 2-2 with a first year starter at QB and a slate of extremely young receivers and TEs. What's there to be disappointed about? A lot of teams would be 0-4 right now in our position. Most were expecting us to be right around the .500 mark at the end of the year. Why so disappointed?
I expected better from the coaching staff. No excuse for some of the stuff I've seen from that corner of the locker room. The players have met my expectations.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Two caveats before I state this:

1) Many will probably not like this idea and you could very well be right about that. If you think I'm a moron, well chances are...

2) I have no idea how this would ever work, contractually/financially. With my baseline knowledge of the cap, it doesn't seem feasible, but there are often mechanisms that teams can use to do things with the cap that aren't immediately obvious. I'm not claiming that's the case here, but I guess it's conceivable.

So here's the thought:

The Packers should trade Jaire Alexander. Here's my thinking:

1) Jaire is good at a lot of things, but his superpower is sticky man coverage. He can hang with almost anybody one-on-one and his ability to either prevent his man from being targeted or break up the pass isn't affected by his lack of size. The problem is that the Packers are rarely in man coverage. Part of this is on Barry and the way he coaches the defense, but a much larger factor is the nature of modern NFL offense. Motion, condensed sets, bunches, rub routes, mobile QB's... there are a lot of factors that make it hard to play a lot of man. This is why zone is what the league as a whole is using on 2/3's of defensive snaps. Jaire is good in zone! But it's not what makes him special.

2) Size/injury-- Jaire has always been smallish but he didn't used to play like it. Since his shoulder injury, he plays small. He isn't a good tackler in the running game and his click and close isn't what I would want in a guy who is making elite money. If you play a lot of zone, your corners have to tackle.

3) Corner depth-- Right now, Rasul Douglas is the best corner on the Packers. Eric Stokes is a former 1st round pick who will be back soon and needs to play so they can know what they have in him. Carrington Valentine is a player that should be getting snaps in a developmental season.

4) Cap/Capital-- The Packers are likely getting ready to pay huge money to Rashan Gary, and it would be nice if they could invest more around Love. Furthermore, if Love doesn't show progress this season, they need to have a lot of ammo on hand to make a move up for a new QB.

So if it can be done and if someone wanted to give them a 1st round pick or maybe more, I think there's potential that they could/should move Alexander.
Hard to argue with well reasoned opinion like that. I think it has a lot of merit. My biggest concern would be lack of depth at the CB position but I have no idea how the staff feels about their current depth there.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to argue with well reasoned opinion like that. I think it has a lot of merit. My biggest concern would be lack of depth at the CB position but I have no idea how the staff feels about their current depth there.

Lot of it depends how much the staff wants to figure out who Valentine is quickly in his rookie year and such.

You make a move like this for the future at the cost of this season

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really, REALLY hope the "rumors" on a trade for Jerry Jeudy are baseless. Don't like any of the "rumored offers" of Doubs & picks, or even just picks to take on Jeudy's 2024 5th year hit of almost $13mil. The guy has shown glimpses of being a #1, but disapppears far too regularly to ever be a #1. Also, doesn't get along with too many people, including many former players who've attempted to help/mentor him. Please NO, Gute.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really, REALLY hope the "rumors" on a trade for Jerry Jeudy are baseless. Don't like any of the "rumored offers" of Doubs & picks, or even just picks to take on Jeudy's 2024 5th year hit of almost $13mil. The guy has shown glimpses of being a #1, but disapppears far too regularly to ever be a #1. Also, doesn't get along with too many people, including many former players who've attempted to help/mentor him. Please NO, Gute.

I think that is just an article with someone blowing smoke out their backside. Jeudy for a mid pick? Ok sure.. not going to complain to hard.

Doubs and a 2nd for Jeudy would be stupid.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion for some reason I expect the Packers to do absolutely nothing.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree, I think the time to get Jeudy has passed. He's shown his immaturity with his beef with Steve Smith. This team wants to see who to build around, rather than acquire talented veterans for better or for worse. Though a veteran in the WR room may be a good idea, I don't think that's Jeudy.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Green Bay will be sellers at the deadline especially if they lose to Denver. They won’t come out and say it but they are rebuilding without saying it. It’s about cap space moving forward. I highly doubt they make any additions we rarely do lol Names to watch us to trade would be: Aaron Jones, Preston Smith, Darnell Savage, Yosh Nijman, AJ Dillon. Could shock us with a trade for a lineman young safety or running back but nothing to get excited about.
My gut feeling

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Green Bay will be sellers at the deadline especially if they lose to Denver. They won’t come out and say it but they are rebuilding without saying it. It’s about cap space moving forward. I highly doubt they make any additions we never do lol Names to watch us to trade would be: Aaron Jones, Preston Smith, Darnell Savage, Yosh Nijman, AJ Dillon. Could shock us with a trade for a lineman young safety or running back but nothing to get excited about.
My gut feeling

I agree with thought except for the we never do comment, just isn't true in such a grand definitive state it was made.

I do agree with the names you presented - especially if the team doesn't plan on signing Savage in the future (which I am not a fan of)...but I also would as others have eluded to listen to calls (never say it publically) if anyone inquires about Jaire.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...if anyone inquires about Jaire.
I may be wrong, but trading 26 yr old Alexander saves $50mil on future caps in fully guaranteed base salary, but would result in a '24 dead cap hit of over $30mil from his SB $. Unless he's a bad apple, which I haven't heard ANYTHING to support that, why jettison a star player?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but trading 26 yr old Alexander saves $50mil on future caps in fully guaranteed base salary, but would result in a '24 dead cap hit of over $30mil from his SB $. Unless he's a bad apple, which I haven't heard ANYTHING to support that, why jettison a star player?

Highest return if you are conceding a reboot or rebuild is happening. There isn't another asset with a higher return, even Gary ain't getting you that much because he would be a one year rental potentially as he is not inked past this seaon's end.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with thought except for the we never do comment, just isn't true in such a grand definitive state it was made.

I do agree with the names you presented - especially if the team doesn't plan on signing Savage in the future (which I am not a fan of)...but I also would as others have eluded to listen to calls (never say it publically) if anyone inquires about Jaire.
I changed it to rarely do :p

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Highest return if you are conceding a reboot or rebuild is happening. There isn't another asset with a higher return, even Gary ain't getting you that much because he would be a one year rental potentially as he is not inked past this seaon's end.
How many #1 picks has GB used on DB's in the last 15 years? Alexander is a rare "hit", so unless some dumb@$$ GM is shipping Gute (3) #1 picks for Alexander I'm all for keeping him thru '26, at least.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many #1 picks has GB used on DB's in the last 15 years? Alexander is a rare "hit", so unless some dumb@$$ GM is shipping Gute (3) #1 picks for Alexander I'm all for keeping him thru '26, at least.

Not me, Jaire hasn't been the same since his payday and his injury. This year especially...but I've not isolated watched his film this year to say is it noticeable issue with him or overall issues and scheme or coaching.

You offer me a first rounder as part of a package for Jaire I'm probably taking it

Reaction score
The only position I’d consider adding would be at OL with a perfect fit scenario.
I sincerely believe that the sum of parts of Rookie and 1st year players gaining experience in this system will be where we see the most growth. Taking away from these young players with the exception of protecting our QB is a hard sell for me. My mind will always be swayed if the price is just too good to pass up, but I’m of the opinion 1 great player won’t greatly change the dynamic of this current team.
An increase in production across the 17 Rookie and 1st year players
(Packerwire) is what’s going to propel our future. Although it could make some sense to either patch our OT situation or find a suitable longer term fix there.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only position I’d consider adding would be at OL with a perfect fit scenario.
I sincerely believe that the sum of parts of Rookie and 1st year players gaining experience in this system will be where we see the most growth. Taking away from these young players with the exception of protecting our QB is a hard sell for me. My mind will always be swayed if the price is just too good to pass up, but I’m of the opinion 1 great player won’t greatly change the dynamic of this current team.
An increase in production across the 17 Rookie and 1st year players is what’s going to propel our future.

I could see a young edge, young iLB if we were to be sellers and move Preston and/or Campbell if a team came calling.

Reaction score
I could see a young edge, young iLB if we were to be sellers and move Preston and/or Campbell if a team came calling.
Yes. I guess it would be more enticing player for player, that could be mutually beneficial. Especially if our future cap scenario remains similar or we free up space

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. I guess it would be more enticing player for player, that could be mutually beneficial. Especially if our future cap scenario remains similar or we free up space

Oh I meant if we plan or do move Smith or Campbell to a team, I could see us add a young guy from a different team. I don't see an exchange deal even if picks involved, just doesn't happen a lot

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Green Bay will be sellers at the deadline especially if they lose to Denver. They won’t come out and say it but they are rebuilding without saying it. It’s about cap space moving forward. I highly doubt they make any additions we rarely do lol Names to watch us to trade would be: Aaron Jones, Preston Smith, Darnell Savage, Yosh Nijman, AJ Dillon. Could shock us with a trade for a lineman young safety or running back but nothing to get excited about.
My gut feeling
I don't think so...
Smith
Jones
Savage

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think so...
Smith
Jones
Savage

Smith trade saves us $3M
Jones would cause a fiscal pill needed to be swallowed even if you get creative in possible restructure and trade...but is why the return would need to be significant to move him.
Savage you get rid of now as he isn't signed beyond this year and you get something for a guy perhaps you are not planning on attempting to resign. His voided money is getting paid whether you trade him, don't trade or cut him.

Reaction score
Not me, Jaire hasn't been the same since his payday and his injury. This year especially...but I've not isolated watched his film this year to say is it noticeable issue with him or overall issues and scheme or coaching.

You offer me a first rounder as part of a package for Jaire I'm probably taking it

First of all. Much will depend on the next 2 games imo.

#1 Our past opponents are 15-15 .500 Our next 2 opponents have a combined 3-9 record. .333
We can’t write our team off just yet. You get a few starters back and if we battle it out and Win at Denver I like our chances at home the following week at home.

If we’re 3-3 or 4-3? I highly doubt we go into this firesale. Other than a few tough games with KC or Detroit etc. we have a relatively cream puff schedule. Anything goes if we win a few. We could be right back in the mix at .500 by next weekend. Let’s give our Offense a chance to correct and adjust and get going a little earlier in a game. There’s a ton of season left and it’s lots of winnable games if we can win next weekend.

Last edited: