Players GB Could Trade Away

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe we have a lot of good receivers. I don't think a worry is about their development from us having too many. LaFleur really does (and Jordan) seem to give everyone opportunities. I just can't see messing with our situation there. We have a real good team. Just need to fill in some of the weak spots. imho And we made a very good start with the DB from the Giants. Very important.
A very young team. And hard to make a solid judgment on some of these young WRs. But....

I seen a stat in the playoffs where we didn't have a WR over 800 yds or 60 receptions.... And it was kinda cringe ...

I could see us trade a young WR with potential or two even, if we planned to add a #1WR prospect early in the draft... Make room and get him on the field sooner. And then start adding the core again with late round selections the next couple years. Including this year potentially if we traded two.

We get some draft capital back that way. And make a move to upgrade the top of our depth chart.

Reaction score
As a GM, this is where you get to decide if you:
1) Go with the BPA pick, or
2) Trade back, if you can find a willing partner, and make two selections at a position of need
One trait of a great GM is flexibility to move around the board if needed imo. The other part of that equation is understanding where the key areas of value are in any given draft. I really liked how we used the double mini-trade back last draft. If I have 3 players deemed relatively equal? Trade back a couple spots and play the odds. The chances of 3 of them being picked is very small and recouping a 5th or 6th combo really paid off. That got us a Wicks or Karl Brooks bonus. In my interactive Mocks I can’t tell you how many times I’ve tried to trade up 3-5 spots only to get refused.. then my ideal player falls into my lap, this I would’ve wasted a draft pick. Patience is truly a virtue and I’m often just as successful in my mock drafts allowing the board come to me. It’s trusting in the process over human natural inclination of getting “jumpy”.

Getting back to trades. Hopefully we’ll retain our own. I think you don’t trade players for light or transient reasons. If you do that too regular you break some harmony and I think that can lead to the wrong message from a more long term global perspective. Keeping trades at a minimum is wisdom imo. Now if it’s a Problem player? I don’t see any harm.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You wonder if the Bills will be calling Green Bay about their receivers.

Everyone knows my infatuation with Doubs, primarily because I held him at a much higher value than we ended up getting him at...but I suspect if there is any receiver which we move it is going to be Doubs. He's proven the most out of all of our receivers BUT if anyone in our WR room is at or closing in on their ceiling I think it might be Doubs. Could he be a teams clear stud WR1...maybe. I see him as a WR2, solid possession and jump ball receiver that will compliment nearly every WR1 in the league amazingly well. If the Bills were to offer a 3rd or so...I think Gute would have to provide some SERIOUS consideration to doing it.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't know why you would say that, until I saw that the Bills traded Stephon Diggs to Houston. I'm happy for CJ Stroud. One could say that he earned it.

I'm still not a fan of trading away one of our WRs, unless the staff as assessed a specific WR as someone that will not continue playing at a high level.
Not so sure about that. There are now 2 NFL teams that were very pleased to get rid of a perennial 1000 yd receiver. Diggs appears to be about as popular as leprosy.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
One trait of a great GM is flexibility to move around the board if needed imo. The other part of that equation is understanding where the key areas of value are in any given draft. I really liked how we used the double mini-trade back last draft. If I have 3 players deemed relatively equal? Trade back a couple spots and play the odds. The chances of 3 of them being picked is very small and recouping a 5th or 6th combo really paid off. That got us a Wicks or Karl Brooks bonus. In my interactive Mocks I can’t tell you how many times I’ve tried to trade up 3-5 spots only to get refused.. then my ideal player falls into my lap, this I would’ve wasted a draft pick. Patience is truly a virtue and I’m often just as successful in my mock drafts allowing the board come to me. It’s trusting in the process over human natural inclination of getting “jumpy”.

Getting back to trades. Hopefully we’ll retain our own. I think you don’t trade players for light or transient reasons. If you do that too regular you break some harmony and I think that can lead to the wrong message from a more long term global perspective. Keeping trades at a minimum is wisdom imo. Now if it’s a Problem player? I don’t see any harm.
Totally agree. Last year's 2nd round trades appear to be brilliant in not only form but in end results. To get Reed, Wicks and Brooks for the price of one mid 2nd round pick is extremely good return imo.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
A very young team. And hard to make a solid judgment on some of these young WRs. But....

I seen a stat in the playoffs where we didn't have a WR over 800 yds or 60 receptions.... And it was kinda cringe ...

I could see us trade a young WR with potential or two even, if we planned to add a #1WR prospect early in the draft... Make room and get him on the field sooner. And then start adding the core again with late round selections the next couple years. Including this year potentially if we traded two.

We get some draft capital back that way. And make a move to upgrade the top of our depth chart.
Lol, you're a big fantasy football player, eh?

I couldn't care less if we ever have that mythical so called WR1. As far as I'm concerned, all 6 of them can share that title all season long. In fact, it's much better for the team if they are all about equal in production and playing time. All of them will be much cheaper to pay and/or replace.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, you're a big fantasy football player, eh?

I couldn't care less if we ever have that mythical so called WR1. As far as I'm concerned, all 6 of them can share that title all season long. In fact, it's much better for the team if they are all about equal in production and playing time. All of them will be much cheaper to pay and/or replace.

A-FREAKING-men.

Who gives a rats' *** if this next season we have 6 500 yard WRs.....I guarantee its a good freaking year if that happens.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone knows my infatuation with Doubs, primarily because I held him at a much higher value than we ended up getting him at...but I suspect if there is any receiver which we move it is going to be Doubs. He's proven the most out of all of our receivers BUT if anyone in our WR room is at or closing in on their ceiling I think it might be Doubs. Could he be a teams clear stud WR1...maybe. I see him as a WR2, solid possession and jump ball receiver that will compliment nearly every WR1 in the league amazingly well. If the Bills were to offer a 3rd or so...I think Gute would have to provide some SERIOUS consideration to doing it.
We already have their 3rd round pick. Swap 1st rounders and get their 2nd rounder for their choice of Watson or Doubs IMO would merit SERIOUS consideration.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We already have their 3rd round pick. Swap 1st rounders and get their 2nd rounder for their choice of Watson or Doubs IMO would merit SERIOUS consideration.

Swapping and a second....you'd have to send back a 5th I bet as well. Still worthy consideration.

Edit - nevermind for some reason I was thinking they were pick like 22. That would be a three spot move back for us and pick up a second. That's more even and bet it'd be a 6th or so we send back

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bills ask Gute....swap firsts and take our #60 plus a 4th or 5th in 2025 and you give us Watson and pick #255.

Adonai Mitchell has not been picked...you know Bills aren't taking him at 26....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Lose Watson, get a 6'2' 200 plus pound sub 4.4 guy with high ras and length.....

Just saying.....

NOW don't take this as a take that Watson should be traded. I think IF Watson is healthy he legit can be a top 10 weapon in the NFL......that IF however is becoming a consistent thing...do you trade a year early potentially before he figures it out.....or if you don't trade and he never figures it out you miss the value ship big time.

Turn that trade into like
Adonai Mitchell at 28
Edgerrin Cooper at 41
Jaden Hicks at 58

and you still aren't even to pick 60 you have now....

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not so sure about that. There are now 2 NFL teams that were very pleased to get rid of a perennial 1000 yd receiver. Diggs appears to be about as popular as leprosy.
I don't think Diggs is a problem for the first couple of years. At least I don't recall any issues at first. Not sure what his contract is and how that plays into it (I think part of the Bills thinking was to dump salary given what crap they got in return) but if they don't have to extend him with a huge deal right away it might work out great for them.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bills ask Gute....swap firsts and take our #60 plus a 4th or 5th in 2025 and you give us Watson and pick #255.

Adonai Mitchell has not been picked...you know Bills aren't taking him at 26....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Lose Watson, get a 6'2' 200 plus pound sub 4.4 guy with high ras and length.....

Just saying.....

NOW don't take this as a take that Watson should be traded. I think IF Watson is healthy he legit can be a top 10 weapon in the NFL......that IF however is becoming a consistent thing...do you trade a year early potentially before he figures it out.....or if you don't trade and he never figures it out you miss the value ship big time.

Turn that trade into like
Adonai Mitchell at 28
Edgerrin Cooper at 41
Jaden Hicks at 58

and you still aren't even to pick 60 you have now....
As you know I brought up the 1st round swap with Buffalo earlier today. The more I look at it I just do not see the motivation for Buffalo unless they felt TB was going to draft a WR they wanted. IMO they could stay at #28 get a WR and keep pick #60. IMO there other need is DB. If there is a quality DB there at 25 that they are willing to give up #60 for I would just prefer the Pack draft said DB. Now if they value Watson over pick # 60 you may be onto something.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Diggs is a problem for the first couple of years. At least I don't recall any issues at first. Not sure what his contract is and how that plays into it (I think part of the Bills thinking was to dump salary given what crap they got in return) but if they don't have to extend him with a huge deal right away it might work out great for them.
I read today that Houston plans on letting Diggs become a FA after this season. Let's say conservatively he becomes a 4th round comp pick. They basically rented him for a year, got a 2024 6th rounder, 2025 4th rd. comp. plus a 2025 5th and gave up a 2025 2nd.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You make a good point.

Just from reading between the lines in the reactions of some of the players at the time, I got the impression that trading Rasul Douglas did not exactly send player morale skyrocketing into the stratosphere. I think it sent the wrong signals to a lot of the players.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hearing you.

I havnt played fantasy or watched football for a few years. Been busy.... And I do see how a top tier guy tends to bust the bank. Can't spend the whole cap on 5 guys and expect to win.... You're right on.

But my theory about there being two positions that are wild card. A top tier #1 WR who demands a double team (+1 player advantage) And his counterpart. A rare top tier CB who can shut down their #1 threat ...

We are doing great with a 1 on 1 game plan. But since we have 6, and all are young. I don't see a problem with taking a shot at a top tier wr who can dilute their defense..... And not miss a beat if he fails.

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not against picking a player a round ahead of the crowd either. If he is someone I am excited about.... There's a couple guys graded rounds 3-5 who I wouldn't feel bad at all if we grabbed end of 2nd round..... And honestly.... Trade back out late 1st and get two of them would be a big win if you ask me..... I have a talll wr and short RB who would have me so stoked to get in exchange of our late #1...

They'd end up stars 2 years from now. And that late round 1st pick would've been a bubble player maybe.....

Get the guys you like. Even if they are over paid in draft capital. Imo

Last edited:

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally agree. Last year's 2nd round trades appear to be brilliant in not only form but in end results. To get Reed, Wicks and Brooks for the price of one mid 2nd round pick is extremely good return imo.
I know I tend to be overly optimistic and nauseatiingly enthusiastiic, so I hesitate to say this.... but when I look at these last two drafts, and the impact it's had on our roster, the only thing I can think of to compare it to is the Great Trade Robbery - when Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones conned the Vikings into sending them something like 18 players and picks for Herschel "3500 situps a day" Walker.

Obviously, this is not directly comparable at all, because we're nowhere near a point where we can accurately and comprehensively assess the true values of the players we acquired in those two drafts - but at this stage, we seem to have accumulated an amazing stockpile of talent. 7 starters/solid rotational players in 22, 8 in 23 (plus 3 or 4 who may have a good future as they develop), on a team that most people consider a legitimate contender for the Super Bowl this season. I don't think I've ever seen a team fatten up that much in such a short peiod of time.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I know I tend to be overly optimistic and nauseatiingly enthusiastiic, so I hesitate to say this.... but when I look at these last two drafts, and the impact it's had on our roster, the only thing I can think of to compare it to is the Great Trade Robbery - when Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones conned the Vikings into sending them something like 18 players and picks for Herschel "3500 situps a day" Walker.

Obviously, this is not directly comparable at all, because we're nowhere near a point where we can accurately and comprehensively assess the true values of the players we acquired in those two drafts - but at this stage, we seem to have accumulated an amazing stockpile of talent. 7 starters/solid rotational players in 22, 8 in 23 (plus 3 or 4 who may have a good future as they develop), on a team that most people consider a legitimate contender for the Super Bowl this season. I don't think I've ever seen a team fatten up that much in such a short peiod of time.
This describes me as well, and I'm enjoying it too much to apologize for it.

Members online

Latest posts