I had This Nightmare

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My concern is more we finally click again this year and Chicago or the Vikes get the next Pat Mahomes. We finally make an NFC game and who else but Tom Brady comes to town on a tear in 2020.
I'm not worried about who the Bears draft, because they're the Bears. Even if they did manage to draft the next Pat Mahomes, I feel there's a high probability that they'd just turn him into the next David Carr, Tim Couch, or Brady Quinn. Because, well... ummm... the Bears.

Chicago has been one of the most clumsily managed and coached franchises in the NFL for decades. They destroyed the career of Justin Fields (who I still mantain could have been a very good NFL quarterback if he'd been coached and developed by a good organization like the Packers), and I think even Cutler had a lot more upside than he ever achieved in Chicago. I was worrried for a few minutes there; remember thinking "Damn! The bastards finally found one!" But of course, they wasted no time at all in completely destroying him.

For that matter, I've always thought Trubisky had a ton of potential, too - there was a point where I was really concerned because I thought the Bears had finally done it. There was one game aganst the Packers where I remember thinking he was the closest thing I'd seen to a mini-Favre, with his improvisation and his arm strength. But of course, it all fell apart fairly quickly.

And remember, they had the chance to draft the real Pat Mahomes, but chose Trubisky instead. They'd have probably found a way to ruin him, too; he dodged a bullet there.

I pity Caleb Williams.

The Vikings are a different matter. They know how to build a good team, and develop players. If tey were getting one of the top 2 or 3 quarterbacks this year I'd be worried.

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only concern isn’t that we can get better or not. I think the Packers minimal age and relatively lower raw games of experience logged as a unit is a strong indicator of that. My concern is more we finally click again this year and Chicago or the Vikes get the next Pat Mahomes. We finally make an NFC game and who else but Tom Brady comes to town on a tear in 2020. We’ve had some relative misfortune with Bak going down in practice leading up to a SB.

I will say we might have broken the curse. That draft class we got last year competes as the best from Gutey thus far. If Brian puts any semblance of another draft like that and repeats that success in consecutive years? Then I’ll predict:
As long as Jordan is standing we’re going to cause major trouble all over the NFC. Maybe not the 49 points average Jordan scored as a college Sophomore, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he teetered into that 29 pts per area at the NFL level after watching him rip teams into shreds last year.

The nightmare opponents better hope doesn’t happen is the GB Defense cracking that top 5 area or at least top 10 D with a high net turnover margin (+15 etc)
You're right.... No doubt. I'm playing numbers and gambling with a good thing, with my idea.
Getting a top tier wr isn't always the best thing anyways, when they price themselves out or force the front office to consolidate a bunch of cap space into one player...

The Patriots back in the day were comp pick masters. And they always seemed to get a good free agent at a good price on a bit of a prove it contract. And then make them stars again and let their contracts end.... Claiming good comp.picks... GB always gets a lot of comp pics but not many of those high ones.

If we can get 5 years out of a rookie who breaks out and get a 3rd round comp pick as a consolation prize if we let them go. I would be fine on that end too..With a core like we have now.

Anyways. Gute is doing a great job imo. I'm just throwing ideas at the wall.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off, it's Jordan, not Jorden......I'm in the jury box and I need to see more postive "evidence". That last int raised a flag for me.
It was disappointing, but under the circumstances, I'm not particularly worried about it. He threw 735 passes last season, and the first 734 were nothing at all like that one. He played cool, calm, collected, and composed for 59 minutes in a high pressure playoff game that we wouldn't even have been in if it hadn't been for his exceptional level of play in the 2nd half of the season, and with 52 seconds on the clock he made a bad decision in a desperate attempt to save the game. It was very out of character for him, and I'd rather judge him on the whole season's body or work than that one play. The first 734 of the passes he threw last year were all the "positive evdence" I need to see.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not worried about who the Bears draft, because they're the Bears. Even if they did manage to draft the next Pat Mahomes, I feel there's a high probability that they'd just turn him into the next David Carr, Tim Couch, or Brady Quinn. Because, well... ummm... the Bears.

Chicago has been one of the most clumsily managed and coached franchises in the NFL for decades. They destroyed the career of Justin Fields (who I still mantain could have been a very good NFL quarterback if he'd been coached and developed by a good organization like the Packers), and I think even Cutler had a lot more upside than he ever achieved in Chicago. I was worrried for a few minutes there; remember thinking "Damn! The bastards finally found one!" But of course, they wasted no time at all in completely destroying him.

For that matter, I've always thought Trubisky had a ton of potential, too - there was a point where I was really concerned because I thought the Bears had finally done it. There was one game aganst the Packers where I remember thinking he was the closest thing I'd seen to a mini-Favre, with his improvisation and his arm strength. But of course, it all fell apart fairly quickly.

And remember, they had the chance to draft the real Pat Mahomes, but chose Trubisky instead. They'd have probably found a way to ruin him, too; he dodged a bullet there.

I pity Caleb Williams.

The Vikings are a different matter. They know how to build a good team, and develop players. If tey were getting one of the top 2 or 3 quarterbacks this year I'd be worried.
Really? Have you taken a peek at the Vikings roster and their draft resources? What do you suppose it's going to take for the Vikings to move into the top 5 to get one of these overhyped QB's? There is more holes on that team than just about anybody else in the league. They are a complete train wreck right now imo.

OP
OP
Wi. Mike now in Florida
Reaction score
My only concern isn’t that we can get better or not. I think the Packers minimal age and relatively lower raw games of experience logged as a unit is a strong indicator of that. My concern is more we finally click again this year and Chicago or the Vikes get the next Pat Mahomes. We finally make an NFC game and who else but Tom Brady comes to town on a tear in 2020. We’ve had some relative misfortune with Bak going down in practice leading up to a SB.

I will say we might have broken the curse. That draft class we got last year competes as the best from Gutey thus far. If Brian puts any semblance of another draft like that and repeats that success in consecutive years? Then I’ll predict:
As long as Jordan is standing we’re going to cause major trouble all over the NFC. Maybe not the 49 points average Jordan scored as a college Sophomore, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he teetered into that 29 pts per area at the NFL level after watching him rip teams into shreds last year.

The nightmare opponents better hope doesn’t happen is the GB Defense cracking that top 5 area or at least top 10 D with a high net turnover margin (+15 etc)

A Pat Mahomes type quarter back in our division?
Let's hope he's with The Packers.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You said you'd be worried about the Vikings if they got one of these top QB's. I
Wouldn't be worried in the least
Oh, yeah... I'd be more worried if it happened, but didn't mean I thought it was a possibility. Oldschool suggested he was worried that it might happen; I was just saying that if it did, I'd be more worried if the Vikings pulled it off than if the Bears did it.

I almost think that if the Bears had the real Mahomes, they'd still be a 9 or 10 win team at best at this point. They don't have enough of a roster or coaching staff to ride Mahomes into the post-season in 24, but he might squeeze out enough wins to keep them drafting in the bottom 1/2 or 1/3 for years. Maybe even beat us every now and then. But they wouldn't be much of a threat to win the conference.

Vikings, on the other hand... they're historically a very successful franchise that just constantly fails to meet their full potential and their ultimate expectations. They always fall short at the end, but thay have the potential to create complications along the way. If they'd magically had the real Mahomes in 2023, they're probably winning the division and making at least something of a playoff run (assuming everything else in the division worked out the way it actually did.)

Put Mahomes on the Bears in 23, and they maybe split the season series with Green Bay - and instead of drafting #1 and #9 2 weeks from tonight they're going #9 and #19. And in 2025, just drafting #15-20. I don't trust the Chicago brain trust to build a proper team around a quarterback like Mahomes; but, if the Vikings could theoretically acheive Mahomes - they could.

But like you, I'm underwhelmed by this quarrterback class. Williams is probably the best prospect of the bunch, but outside of him, there are about 5 guys who have some good tools and the potential to be franchise quarterbacks if their stars align just so. Their future largely depends on which organization drafts them. Chicago's going to get a top prospect, and the Vikings will get a prospect with some pretty good potential. One or both of those teams could easily come out winners, but I'm not terribly worried about either one.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, yeah... I'd be more worried if it happened, but didn't mean I thought it was a possibility. Oldschool suggested he was worried that it might happen; I was just saying that if it did, I'd be more worried if the Vikings pulled it off than if the Bears did it.

I almost think that if the Bears had the real Mahomes, they'd still be a 9 or 10 win team at best at this point. They don't have enough of a roster or coaching staff to ride Mahomes into the post-season in 24, but he might squeeze out enough wins to keep them drafting in the bottom 1/2 or 1/3 for years. Maybe even beat us every now and then. But they wouldn't be much of a threat to win the conference.

Vikings, on the other hand... they're historically a very successful franchise that just constantly fails to meet their full potential and their ultimate expectations. They always fall short at the end, but thay have the potential to create complications along the way. If they'd magically had the real Mahomes in 2023, they're probably winning the division and making at least something of a playoff run (assuming everything else in the division worked out the way it actually did.)

Put Mahomes on the Bears in 23, and they maybe split the season series with Green Bay - and instead of drafting #1 and #9 2 weeks from tonight they're going #9 and #19. And in 2025, just drafting #15-20. I don't trust the Chicago brain trust to build a proper team around a quarterback like Mahomes; but, if the Vikings could theoretically acheive Mahomes - they could.

But like you, I'm underwhelmed by this quarrterback class. Williams is probably the best prospect of the bunch, but outside of him, there are about 5 guys who have some good tools and the potential to be franchise quarterbacks if their stars align just so. Their future largely depends on which organization drafts them. Chicago's going to get a top prospect, and the Vikings will get a prospect with some pretty good potential. One or both of those teams could easily come out winners, but I'm not terribly worried about either one.
Can either one of those teams develop that QB and keep him healthy at the same time? The Vikings situation especially in terms of overall roster strength looks bleak imo. I'd find it curious and possibly mildly concerning for the future if the Lions managed to grab a guy like Penix though. They seem at this point to be building a much better situation for themselves in Detroit. This business though of getting rid of future first round picks I think is generally a bad business decision.

OP
OP
Wi. Mike now in Florida
Reaction score
These QB's taken high in the draft that seem to be the second coming of christ is ridicules.
Coming out of college, there always that job of training/coaching them to fit into the teams
already in camp o-line.

And because they are drafted high, they expect to hold the teams check book, while in the mean time
learning the teams system which could take years.

That's way the Packers have this figured out by parking their future QB on the sidelines under they
feel he's ready to play.

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You’re absolutely right to be afraid. There’s a freight train coming down the track and it’s got a Bears C on the front and Caleb is the conductor.

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don’t know who “Sweaty” teddy phillips was but he’s the reason we didn’t finish a draft day trade for LT( San Diego’s) as nd many other mistakes. For the last 50 years the Bears have been run like a 5 n dime thrift shop. He retired. R Poles runs the ship now. He’s put together in 2.5 years : a top 5 WR room. Top 10 TE room. Top 10 RB room. An experienced OL with a rookie C coming tomorrow to groom for future and this generations Payton Manning.
Plus…….top 5 Defense. If the offense can actually just get a few first downs and score………see you boys soon. Can’t wait.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
You don’t know who “Sweaty” teddy phillips was but he’s the reason we didn’t finish a draft day trade for LT( San Diego’s) as nd many other mistakes. For the last 50 years the Bears have been run like a 5 n dime thrift shop. He retired. R Poles runs the ship now. He’s put together in 2.5 years : a top 5 WR room. Top 10 TE room. Top 10 RB room. An experienced OL with a rookie C coming tomorrow to groom for future and this generations Payton Manning.
Plus…….top 5 Defense. If the offense can actually just get a few first downs and score………see you boys soon. Can’t wait.
You mean the Staleys are going to win another offseason then fade when the games count?

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don’t know who “Sweaty” teddy phillips was but he’s the reason we didn’t finish a draft day trade for LT( San Diego’s) as nd many other mistakes. For the last 50 years the Bears have been run like a 5 n dime thrift shop. He retired. R Poles runs the ship now.

And over that period of time this powerhouse all-star team of generational superstars have dominated and terrorized the entire NF:, steamrolling the rest of the league with records of 6-11, 3-14, and 7-10 - a combined record of .450.

Yeah; the entire NFL is trembling in their boots.

He’s put together in 2.5 years : a top 5 WR room.
You have 2 good receivers (Allen and Moore), and added a 3rd tonight who'll likely be the best one on your club by some point this season. None of the others would even make our team; we're at least 6 deep, everyone on the Bears beyond those 2 or 3 wouldn't even crack that 6 - maybe even our Top 7. Even in your wildest fantasies, you don't have anything remotely close to the "Top 5". Quite possibly not even the Top 15.

Top 10 TE room.
You have a (barely) Top 10 tight end , not Top 10 tight end room - and that's Kmet. Everett's a pretty decent #2, who would probably fit in nicely as a #3 on the Packers, but everyone else is Just A Guy.

Top 10 RB room.
Your top rusher was your "quarterback", who no longer plays for Chicago. And most of his yards came because your team was too dysfunctonal and incompetent to execute a pass play at the NFL level. Because your quarterback sucked and your coaches hae no idea how to teach him, your O-loine, and your receivers to work together as a functional unit fpr more than 2 seconds at a time.

An experienced OL with a rookie C coming tomorrow to groom for future and this generations Payton Manning.
Our O line was rated Top 6 last year, yours didn't crack Top 10.

Plus…….top 5 Defense. If the offense can actually just get a few first downs and score………
Uh.... no. #12. Not even Top 1/3.

see you boys soon. Can’t wait.
And we'll kick your miserable Bear-***** up one side of the field and down the other all day long both times, like we always do.

Because, no matter what season it is, Bears....

Still....

Suck.

Because you're the Bears and that's all you're good for.

And you live in a fantasy world.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
2 questions.

What was C. Williams sack rate under pressures last season?

Which Packer front 7 player is going to decapitate and strip sack Williams in the 1st half of our first game with you this year?

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is going to be a fun year.
Realize that everything comes to an end. Your 30 years of HOF QB play netted you 2 titles. The Bears might have sucked but watching Erin choke those NFC title games away…..ouch. But 2 is better than zero it just came with 20 gut punches in between.
Y’all were not good in the 70’s and 80’s. We’ve been garbage since 90 except a couple decent seasons.
But sure…..it is way more likely you get a 3rd HOF QB in a row before we get one. The way we ended up with the #1 pick 2 years in a row is a sign from The Lord. The pain coming boys…. But hey I’m just here to talk a little trash and have good debates. Win or lose I’ll be around.

DABIGZ

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is going to be a fun year.
Realize that everything comes to an end. Your 30 years of HOF QB play netted you 2 titles. The Bears might have sucked but watching Erin choke those NFC title games away…..ouch. But 2 is better than zero it just came with 20 gut punches in between.
Y’all were not good in the 70’s and 80’s. We’ve been garbage since 90 except a couple decent seasons.
But sure…..it is way more likely you get a 3rd HOF QB in a row before we get one. The way we ended up with the #1 pick 2 years in a row is a sign from The Lord. The pain coming boys…. But hey I’m just here to talk a little trash and have good debates. Win or lose I’ll be around.
Had to make a rare post to tell you to F off. What are you even doing here? Didn't you learn from last off-season to wait until the games are played to make a grand assumption?

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why so angry brah?

The Bears have been a horrible franchise for the last 30 years I freely admit that.

We’ve been cursed since Charles Martin assaulted Jim McMahon. We prob win again in 86’ and maybe more, if the dirtiest play in NFL history doesn’t take place. Yeah…we’ve been horrible but we never purposely injured your QB when you were in a back to back Championship hunt and our season was over…..like the packer’s was.

Y’all can say Caleb sucks etc…..but your board last year was kind of pining for Caleb if Love didn’t work out. Kids got the killer instinct and watching him is like watching a young A Rodgers.

Had to make a rare post to tell you to F off. What are you even doing here? Didn't you learn from last off-season to wait until the games are played to make a grand assumption?

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 questions.

What was C. Williams sack rate under pressures last season?

Which Packer front 7 player is going to decapitate and strip sack Williams in the 1st half of our first game with you this year?
Averaged 18.6 %
I looked for Rodgers but couldn’t find it in the 5 min I spent looking. I wonder if you’d be able to enlighten me?

As for the DL decap situation….my guy gets the ball out wicked fast so….
And there’s Tevin Jenkins and a few other fellas on the OL who might have something to say bout that .

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would happen if we discovered halfway through 2024 season Jordan Love wasn't our QB of the future? :eek:

Didn't some other NFL team, I believe I read it was the Giants, after one great year, they throw
the teams check book at the QB, paid him $$$$$, and found out they were mistaken.

Oh the horror
We would've ridden Sean Clifford for a season to see if we HAD the QB of the future and in 2025 would've drafted the real deal if not Clifford. We would've been fine.

Members online

Latest posts