Enjoyed Iowa takedown of UConn

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great comeback by the Iowa ladies last night, in beating UConn, to get into the national finals against South Carolina. Behind by over a dozen, and looked like they were totally out of it at halftime, didn't commit a turnover in the second half until less than 8 minutes to play. They put their foot on the gas, and picked their game up on both offense and defense.

I like the way Caitlin Clark handled herself out there. She wasn't having a great shooting night, so she created opportunities for others to get some big time buckets. She's amazing.

Heard something interesting about her. She had dreamed of going to UConn, but they never offered her a scholarship. I'd bet Geno Auriemma is punching himself in the head often, about not getting that one right. Still, the guy takes his team to the Final 4 so often that you'd think they have an automatic bye to get there. He sure knows how to pull talent together. Of course, just like Caitlin, getting the invite to be a part of his team is awesome to most players. They'll snap it up in a heartbeat if they feel they can compete.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Admittedly didn't watch but was happy with the fact that UConn went down, particularly after seeing Purdue drop a steaming pile against the UConn men. Connecticut's sole claim to fame should only be it's proximity to NY and its corresponding per capita income. :roflmao:

OP
OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Admittedly didn't watch but was happy with the fact that UConn went down, particularly after seeing Purdue drop a steaming pile against the UConn men. Connecticut's sole claim to fame should only be it's proximity to NY and its corresponding per capita income. :roflmao:
UConn bugs me. Some people say that the NIL programs for both their men and women allows them to do some heavy recruiting. That may help, but they were both top level contenders for a long time before the NIL deals came along.

Their women's coach has an amazing track record. I don't know how it compares to others, but when I hear about him, my first reaction is to think of him as being a little bit like John Wooden was with UCLA. Players flocked to him, who could play basketball, because they knew he offered the best shot at going beyond college. I think that comes into play for both UConn teams.

It just doesn't seem possible that a school that doesn't have "the name" is so powerful in a college sport. It's like having Pepperdine all of a sudden become a Final 4 fixture year after year.