Draft Gambling

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heard on the radio a discussion of gambling on the draft. A website offers odds on individual players and where they are likely to be picked.

Does anyone here place bets?

I am going to look into this next year. I often have some ideas on where guys will go that differs from the norm. Seems if you put some time and effort into this (@tynimiller, @Dantés, others) you would be ahead of the curve. Spread your bets and should have more hits than misses.

Seems like an FO person would have the opportunity to let a trusted friend know what players were being considered where in the draft. And there would be some opportunities there.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I am not a gambler, but I do agree that it seems like a realm where time investment could give one an edge!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heard on the radio a discussion of gambling on the draft. A website offers odds on individual players and where they are likely to be picked.

I am going to look into this next year. I often have some ideas on where guys will go that differs from the norm. Seems if you put some time and effort into this (@tynimiller, @Dantés, others) you would be ahead of the curve. Spread your bets and should have more hits than misses.

Seems like an FO person would have the opportunity to let a trusted friend know what players were being considered where in the draft. And there would be some opportunities there.

I actually have a bet from November of Odunze going top 10 in the draft. Placed $20 bucks with a payout I remember over $100...need to check that as that will be one I am rather sure I hit. I am in the rare camp I'd pick Rome over MHjr personally.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually have a bet from November of Odunze going top 10 in the draft. Placed $20 bucks with a payout I remember over $100...need to check that as that will be one I am rather sure I hit. I am in the rare camp I'd pick Rome over MHjr personally.
Nice! I think your bet is safe.

I am in that camp as well. I read that nobody outworks Odunze. There was an anecdote that after a workout (proday I think) he was spotted the next day running those drills again. Apparently he wasn't satisfied with his performance, which was already outstanding. Why would he practice a drill he will not perform again before the draft? I think because a team asked him to run it that it meant to him that it was important and translates to the NFL.

I dont like a few things that MHjr has done or said. Got me to think he has been on a pedestal a bit to long and it has gone to his head.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Found my bets I placed for this draft last November...I'm going to be doing more before tomorrow for sure:

Rome to go in top 10 - $20, and pays out $200 (rounding)
Rome to go in the top 5 - $1 bet, and pays out $100 (rounding)
Less than 4.5 QBs to go in round 1 - $5 bet and pays out $38
Jared Verse to go top 10 - $5 bet and pays out $37.50

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I am thinking you will get $238 from a $31 investment. Nice work! And who knows? Maybe Odunze is 1st WR off the board in the top 5. Verse? Not looking promising.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I am thinking you will get $238 from a $31 investment. Nice work! And who knows? Maybe Odunze is 1st WR off the board in the top 5. Verse? Not looking promising.
Yeah the verse one I still love him but don't see it happening. I'm going to build a parlay likely with Rome in Top 10 for sure and a few other options depending on the app and what they are offering.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was an anecdote that after a workout (proday I think) he was spotted the next day running those drills again. Apparently he wasn't satisfied with his performance, which was already outstanding. Why would he practice a drill he will not perform again before the draft? I think because a team asked him to run it that it meant to him that it was important and translates to the NFL.
Whoa! That's amazing. Speaks volumes about the man.

You can't coach character and work ethic - a man either has it or he doesn't.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here in Chicago on the radio talk shows they are excited about Rome at 9. He was on the same flight to Detroit with Caleb Williams yesterday and that started a firestorm.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here in Chicago on the radio talk shows they are excited about Rome at 9. He was on the same flight to Detroit with Caleb Williams yesterday and that started a firestorm.
Yeah, I don't see him making it to 9 though, at least I hope he doesn't. You got the Cardinals, Giants and Chargers all needing wide outs. I've seen mocks that have each of these teams trading with the vikings (which would mean the Bears would still be in the running) and the Falcons which would still leave them in front of the Bears. The good thing for the Bears is that all of these teams need help elsewhere so that spreads their needs. The fact the draft is deep in WRs also works in their favor.

I'm leaving my original post up here because I still think its unlikely that Odunze makes it to 9 but the more I think about it the more likely I think it might happen. You are likely going to see at least 4QBs and maybe even 5 go before #9 (1,2,3 and a trade up for the 4th and maybe the Falcons for the 5th) Harrison will go as well but I've seen several mocks that have the Cardinals trading out of #4 (I doubt that) If the Titans stay put they will probably go OL and if they trade out it will likely mean another QB goes. The Chargers are probably the biggest threat to grab Odunze but there are just as many mocks that have them going OL as well or even trading back.

Well, my original thoughts didn't pan out. but like I said in my first edit it looked more and more likely. I was planning on one more QB to go and I thought Odunze would be the second WR taken. Wasn't planning on 2 OL but thought a D might sneak in. If both these guys (Williams and Odunze) live up to their hype I'm kinda hoping the Packers get DeJean at 25 or maybe even trade up for Mitchell.

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here are some tidbits that even the non-gamblers might be interested in as a way of guessing who might be gone before 41. From Fanduel. I am assuming they consider DeJean a CB. N.E. next pick. WR -210 OL +430 CB +500 ARZ next pick CB +125 OL +160 DL/E + 850 WSH next pick OL -140 CB +340 DL/E +470 Who goes 1st DeJean -180 or Kool-Aid +140 DeJean to GB +500

Members online