Your Do Not Draft List

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Right now, the guy I wouldn't draft is T'Vondre Sweat., ar least until Day 3 now. You have 2 1/2 more weeks of interviews in the works, going for your biggest opportunity in life... Then you make the decision to drink and drive, and get a DWI, during that process... I don't know about you, but that's a big red flag for me. I'm all for second chances, and have given many through my years of management, but to me, through my experiences, it just screams that it's not 'IF" but "WHEN" the next poor decision will happen.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now, the guy I wouldn't draft is T'Vondre Sweat., ar least until Day 3 now. You have 2 1/2 more weeks of interviews in the works, going for your biggest opportunity in life... Then you make the decision to drink and drive, and get a DWI, during that process... I don't know about you, but that's a big red flag for me. I'm all for second chances, and have given many through my years of management, but to me, through my experiences, it just screams that it's not 'IF" but "WHEN" the next poor decision will happen.

He also doesn't have weight control. Sweat is a guy that I personally think has as much chance to be out of the league in three years as he does being talked about for a massive extension.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He also doesn't have weight control. Sweat is a guy that I personally think has as much chance to be out of the league in three years as he does being talked about for a massive extension.
My thoughts exactly. His character and personality are probably being more carefully analyzed than his field play right now. Thing is, if you draft him high he is more likely to fail. If he slides way past where he should, it could be a wake up call if he realizes nothing is guaranteed and he has to work for it.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I thought about mentioning his weight also, but I felt the DWI was enough for my feelings about not drafting him. His weight probably has him off the Packers board anyway, but the DWI should put him in question on most, if not all teams boards, now.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought about mentioning his weight also, but I felt the DWI was enough for my feelings about not drafting him. His weight probably has him off the Packers board anyway, but the DWI should put him in question on most, if not all teams boards, now.

I don't think guys are ever looked at as undraftable redlined.....at a certain point teams will always target skilled guys. Now it may take a gut to be a UDFA priority but there is always a point where the cost is well worth the chance. Brenton Cox is a great example...he 100% was draftable talent, but teams didn't want to use a draft pick on him...wasn't worth the risk.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Laremy Tunsil only dropped from Top 5 to 13 with his famous "gas mask" video coming out on Draft night. However, many others, such as your Cox example have seen much bigger drops. I'm sure it's because some actions are just more egregious than others, i.e. Colt Lyerla

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where a guy gets drafted matters. Some of these guys would be OK in the 4th round. Gute has a history of reaching for players in the first 3 rounds with dismal consequences. On the other hand in rounds 4 - 6 he does the opposite and has made stellar picks that have saved his job. In his first 4 drafts, Gute only picked 2 players who went to the pro bowl. Maybe the last 2 drafts will produce more top end players but the propensity to reach for players like Deguara, Sternberger, Dillon, Savage, and Walker has shown that he overrated his top round guys. Had the Jordan Love pick not worked out, the long list of top draft pick busts would get him sent packing once the new President replaces Murphy. I'd like to see Gute trade up for a player that isn't a reach or trade down to stockpile second round picks. I'm concerned Gute is going to draft another project in round one where it takes years for any meaningful production.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think guys are ever looked at as undraftable redlined.....at a certain point teams will always target skilled guys. Now it may take a gut to be a UDFA priority but there is always a point where the cost is well worth the chance. Brenton Cox is a great example...he 100% was draftable talent, but teams didn't want to use a draft pick on him...wasn't worth the risk.
Completely disagree if you are talking about the Packers alone here. I think they perennially redline draft prospects for a variety of reasons. And a lot of them as well. I think most of us would be at least mildly shocked if we ever saw what the final Packers draft board looked like.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Laremy Tunsil only dropped from Top 5 to 13 with his famous "gas mask" video coming out on Draft night. However, many others, such as your Cox example have seen much bigger drops. I'm sure it's because some actions are just more egregious than others, i.e. Colt Lyerla
Lol, Colt Lyerla. You do know that we have/had some posters here that when Lyerla's revelations occurred (and others like him) they immediately jumped up higher on the "we must get" list.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Completely disagree if you are talking about the Packers alone here. I think they perennially redline draft prospects for a variety of reasons. And a lot of them as well. I think most of us would be at least mildly shocked if we ever saw what the final Packers draft board looked like.
I think you're mistaken on what I'm implying. I think very strongly guys get crossed off a draft where their skills would cause strictly due to character issues....however say you have a guy your entire team knows and realizes is say a 4th round grade. Packers absolutely may say we aren't investing a pick in him, but guys if he goes undrafted we need to call him during UDFA and try to get him in house.

Likewise I think you see guys fall to round 2 or 3 when they're first rounders perhaps due to a team finally sees the crossing point of risk lessoned given the lower capital used...each team will get to that point differently and there is for sure some that never circle back due to the need isn't there.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think you're mistaken on what I'm implying. I think very strongly guys get crossed off a draft where their skills would cause strictly due to character issues....however say you have a guy your entire team knows and realizes is say a 4th round grade. Packers absolutely may say we aren't investing a pick in him, but guys if he goes undrafted we need to call him during UDFA and try to get him in house.

Likewise I think you see guys fall to round 2 or 3 when they're first rounders perhaps due to a team finally sees the crossing point of risk lessoned given the lower capital used...each team will get to that point differently and there is for sure some that never circle back due to the need isn't there.
I'm thinking they look at a pretty fair number of guys and say, nah, I don't want this guy no matter what. Let someone else deal with this guy.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thinking they look at a pretty fair number of guys and say, nah, I don't want this guy no matter what. Let someone else deal with this guy.

I disagree based on few conversations with folks that, now full caveat only one still is, have either worked as scouts or have been in war rooms. Many get flagged as UDFA priorities...but that is typically your Brenton Cox, Colt Leryla level guys....Tunsil is a great example I know many teams had him off their board for Day 1, others Day2

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I disagree based on few conversations with folks that, now full caveat only one still is, have either worked as scouts or have been in war rooms. Many get flagged as UDFA priorities...but that is typically your Brenton Cox, Colt Leryla level guys....Tunsil is a great example I know many teams had him off their board for Day 1, others Day2
The Packers war room?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers war room?

Not the Packers war room, closest contact I had/have with Packers as far as scouting department goes is a guy that I believe it's been 8 years or so since he worked for the packers. He put me in touch with a person still in house that I try to very sparingly reach out to. However, my past contact provided this guy my contact information specifically for any local prospect thoughts to my area. That past contact of mine still reaches out for Notre Dame specific thoughts as he knows I see, watch and hear stuff from that program having so many connections and being close.

That contact is still in the league and is one of my main reasons I love doing this so much - this meaning prospect reviews, gradings and thoughts. I won't share what team he works with as I've promised I'd never be a contact that discloses anything. He's told me before he thinks he's about timed out as he is getting closer to retirement...I need to work hard at getting in decent relations with someone else for when he is gone.

Last edited:

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, Colt Lyerla. You do know that we have/had some posters here that when Lyerla's revelations occurred (and others like him) they immediately jumped up higher on the "we must get" list.
I wish I was unable to believe that. I'm afraid to ask what their reasoning was... was it the cocaine posession that shouted "we need that guy", or was it the heroin? The forgery, maybe? The DUI? No, no, I got it - assaulting and strangling his girlfriend!

Or did they just want a guy who was prison-tough?

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Not the Packers war room, closest contact I had/have with Packers as far as scouting department goes is a guy that I believe it's been 8 years or so since he worked for the packers. He put me in touch with a person still in house that I try to very sparingly reach out to. However, my past contact provided this guy my contact information specifically for any local prospect thoughts to my area. That past contact of mine still reaches out for Notre Dame specific thoughts as he knows I see, watch and hear stuff from that program having so many connections and being close.

That contact is still in the league and is one of my main reasons I love doing this so much - this meaning prospect reviews, gradings and thoughts. I won't share what team he works with as I've promised I'd never be a contact that discloses anything. He's told me before he thinks he's about timed out as he is getting closer to retirement...I need to work hard at getting in decent relations with someone else for when he is gone.
Very interesting. Kind of explains your constant infatuation with Notre Dame prospects. :cool:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I wish I was unable to believe that. I'm afraid to ask what their reasoning was... was it the cocaine posession that shouted "we need that guy", or was it the heroin? The forgery, maybe? The DUI? No, no, I got it - assaulting and strangling his girlfriend!

Or did they just want a guy who was prison-tough?
Lol, yeah it seems some people want to infuse the Packers locker room with knuckleheads so we can be more like the Raiders or Cowboys.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very interesting. Kind of explains your constant infatuation with Notre Dame prospects. :cool:

LOL I try to keep them fair and unbias, but it is true your depth of knowledge due to exposure sometimes flirts with that.

To be fair this year I only have two ND prospects with a second or higher round grade. :)

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL I try to keep them fair and unbias, but it is true your depth of knowledge due to exposure sometimes flirts with that.

To be fair this year I only have two ND prospects with a second or higher round grade. :)
Yeah, but I'll be surprised if Fisher, Hartman and Etime aren't in your list of 20 in the draft contest, you homer! :)

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I kind of like Fisher at 91 ( don't think he will last until 126) if they have not drafted an OL by then. What are your thoughts on him?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kind of like Fisher at 91 ( don't think he will last until 126) if they have not drafted an OL by then. What are your thoughts on him?
If it weren’t for Alt’s existence I think he would be a top6 LT prospect because he’d never have played RT

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it weren’t for Alt’s existence I think he would be a top6 LT prospect because he’d never have played RT
I watched about an hour of Audric Estime highlights today, and man... that Irish O-line... good lord. It's like they're playing against high school defensive lines. Those guys are just monsters.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I’m still in on Estime despite the size similarity. Dillon is only back for one season and I think Estimé is just legit good.