2024 Draft Prospect Discussions

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If they wait until mid-season and he produces as well as the second half of last year, the price could go up a bit, and he will certainly be entertaining other offers.
If he starts entertaining other offers at mid-season, than Houston, we have a problem. I would hope that his agent wouldn't break the NFL rules and do that.

Plus, as I mentioned before, the Packers always have the option to slap the Franchise tag on him.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I can't remember what GM or former GM it was yesterday ( Speilman from the 33rd team? ) but he said when they are your guys, a lot of the times you take the injury risk, and get the contract done early.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I can't remember what GM or former GM it was yesterday ( Speilman from the 33rd team? ) but he said when they are your guys, a lot of the times you take the injury risk, and get the contract done early.
I think the injury risk factor, while there, is less a part of my reason for wanting the Packers to wait on resigning Love. His price is already near that of a top QB in the NFL, maybe that goes up a bit, if in fact he comes out blazing in the first 8 games. However, that price and strategy could decline dramatically if Love isn't the guy the Packers thought he was and struggles in the first half of the season.

Call it insurance, but for me, well worth waiting.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't see Gutey trading up. And for some reason I think he takes either a OL, like Mims if he is there or maybe or Edge like Kool-aid.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Tyler Guyton, Kingsley Suamataia, Cooper DeJean, Chop Robinson, Amarius Mims, and Johnny Newton would be my guess for possible names we will here tonight for the Packers.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I don't think Krabs was comparing them as equal in skillset, only that a true CB would be preferable to a Swiss army knife, as you note, with DeJean.

To me the difference is that DeJean may be there at #25. Wiggins and the other true perimeter CBs will be long gone.
This is correct. I was just saying that the Packers in general like taking CBs in the first round. I would not mind that and would prefer Wiggins. What I've read is he could be there at 25, but wouldn't be surprised if he is in fact gone by then.

Krabs

Reaction score
I think Wiggins will be there at #25, his weight is what puts him in question for the Packers, although he has been putting on some weight, and is at least in the 180's now, so maybe...

Edit: The reason I think he is in play, is because the Packers have shown they like speed in secondary...4.28...:coffee:
Yep, he weighed in at 178. That's a light professional football player that needs to put on some muscle to withstand the NFL season. That speed though!

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely no idea which way the Packers will lean tonight. Logic dictates CB/OL however my guess is if it is one of those positions, it won't be for one of the usual suspects. Will be someone mocked typically in the 35-45 range. I can't remember the last time they picked in the 1st round where before the pick I thought it will be player A, B or C and ends up being player Z.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely no idea which way the Packers will lean tonight. Logic dictates CB/OL however my guess is if it is one of those positions, it won't be for one of the usual suspects. Will be someone mocked typically in the 35-45 range. I can't remember the last time they picked in the 1st round where before the pick I thought it will be player A, B or C and ends up being player Z.

For a ton of folks Wyatt was a guy many thought would go sooner and then kept coming up with each subsequent pick till Packers drafted him.

Also LVN was a Top 20 consensus board guy last year, just didn't seem to get any real attention or talk from the fanbase is all.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he starts entertaining other offers at mid-season, than Houston, we have a problem. I would hope that his agent wouldn't break the NFL rules and do that.

Plus, as I mentioned before, the Packers always have the option to slap the Franchise tag on him.
Good points. I don't think giving him an extension matters if it's now or mid-season. I'd rather not have him distracted with it - just give him his $50 mil/3 year contract. Not sure about contract length, just guessing. Also guessing he'll get $100 mil guaranteed.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is that Gluten trades up so he can get either Quinyon Mitchell or Terrion Arnold. Wiggins and Kool-Aid will probably drop to 25 if he wants to wait.

Anyway that's what I think he'll do. There's still time to get an Olineman with one of the first 5 picks, hopefully LB Edgerrin Cooper, and a RB. He'll take another OL and RB on day 3. The rest will be for the defense.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But there's a risk of pissing a player off and creating some degree of resentment; maybe not something you want to risk with your new franchise quarterback. Franchise tag for a QB this year is over $38M anyway; not like they'd be saving truckloads of money.

I don't share your concern that he may turn out to be a flash in the pan - I just saw too many improvements over the course of the year, too many impressive details, too much poise, composure, and maturity. I'm sold on the guy, but for people who are not, I can certainly understand the hesitation.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the 25th pick in the 2024 NFL Draft the Green Bay Packers select Kool Aid McKinstry CB Alabama

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if it is one of those positions, it won't be for one of the usual suspects. Will be someone mocked typically in the 35-45 range. I can't remember the last time they picked in the 1st round where before the pick I thought it will be player A, B or C and ends up being player Z.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the 25th pick in the 2024 NFL Draft the Green Bay Packers select Kool Aid McKinstry CB Alabama
Looks like we were both wrong about Gluten taking a CB. I have a feeling that he just didn't see value in either Wiggins or Kool-Aid at #25, and Mitchell and Arnold were off the board.

I'm a little bummed. On the bright side Valentine played well at CB last year, and he can still add some talent there in the draft. This draft had no first round safeties other than DeJean, and his stock fell.

I'm ok with the pick. Love needs time to work and the backs need places to run. With the exception of another OL and one or two RBs, I expect the rest of the picks will all be defense. He'll find a gem or two out there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like we were both wrong about Gluten taking a CB. I have a feeling that he just didn't see value in either Wiggins or Kool-Aid at #25, and Mitchell and Arnold were off the board.

I'm a little bummed. On the bright side Valentine played well at CB last year, and he can still add some talent there in the draft. This draft had no first round safeties other than DeJean, and his stock fell.

I'm ok with the pick. Love needs time to work and the back need places to run. With the exception of another OL and one or two RBs, I expect the rest of the picks will all be defense. He'll find a gem or two out there.

There is still some solid outside corner pieces out there.

Krabs

Reaction score
Morgan wasn't on my radar at all. Not super stoked about the pick. I have learned to not care so much though. In the end, an average NFL career is 3.5 years. Teams really do just cycle through players. I personally just thought there were a lot of great and better players on the board at that spot. Probably could have got Morgan with the 2nd of our 2nd round picks. Maybe even in the 3rd. I don't think any mock draft had him in the 1st. I could be wrong though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is still some solid outside corner pieces out there.
Agreed. Arnold and Mitchell really dropped, and DeJean is still available, so is Edgerrin Cooper at LB. And Valentine played well last year at CB, so I'm fine with the Morgan pick. It solidifies the line, protects Love, and should help the run game (Morgan is supposed to be a good run blocker), and offer some competition/depth at LT.

What I think Gluten liked was Morgan's experience. He's started 37 games at LT. I think Mims had like 7 starts. And Morgan is like Jenkins in that he can play four positions on the line. Barton projects as a G/C, and Guyton is not as versatile as Morgan. This might also allow Tom to slide to C if that situation arises.

A boring pick I guess, but it will improve the offense.

On another topic, The Bears got a lot stronger on offense with Williams and Odunze, and the Vikes moved up to take Edge rusher Dallas Turner. They also took JJ McCarthy, and I think that was risky. The Lions took CB Arnold with #24. All in all, the North is gonna be a lot more competitive than the past.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Morgan wasn't on my radar at all. Not super stoked about the pick. I have learned to not care so much though. In the end, an average NFL career is 3.5 years. Teams really do just cycle through players. I personally just thought there were a lot of great and better players on the board at that spot. Probably could have got Morgan with the 2nd of our 2nd round picks. Maybe even in the 3rd. I don't think any mock draft had him in the 1st. I could be wrong though.
I like the pick. Morgan has a ton of experience with 37 starts at LT for Arizona. He's fully recovered from a 2022 ACL tear, and he's versatile. I think he is better than Barton and Guyton, who went after him.

But I agree with you, it does look like a reach, based on mock drafts at lest. I didn't see him in the first round either. It's a solid, if boring pick.

DeJean is still available, as is LB Edgerrin Cooper. If they are still there at #41, I think Gluten will take one.

As for DeJean, who just about everyone had going in round 1, he is still recovering from a broken leg and that may be why he slipped. He'll present more value in round 2. The guy is very talented and would make a great starting S with McKinney.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Kind of how I felt. Especially, with how the night was going and most of the top secondary guys still on the board.

The more I read about Morgan though, the more I understand the pick. He fits the Packer OL profile to a tee. Size, versatility and experience. While I prefer him over Mims or Guyten, I would have been happier with Barton or just seeing Gute trade out of the 1st. Of course, had he traded out, none of us would have known it was do that or select Morgan.

Lots of good players available in round 2, Gute got the OL guy he probably wanted before the draft started.

Krabs

Reaction score
I like the pick. Morgan has a ton of experience with 37 starts at LT for Arizona. He's fully recovered from a 2022 ACL tear, and he's versatile. I think he is better than Barton and Guyton, who went after him.

But I agree with you, it does look like a reach, based on mock drafts at lest. I didn't see him in the first round either. It's a solid, if boring pick.

DeJean is still available, as is LB Edgerrin Cooper. If they are still there at #41, I think Gluten will take one.

As for DeJean, who just about everyone had going in round 1, he is still recovering from a broken leg and that may be why he slipped. He'll present more value in round 2. The guy is very talented and would make a great starting S with McKinney.
I'm not really that high on DeJean. I know his RAS score is in the 9's, but I think there are better players.

Krabs

Reaction score
Kind of how I felt. Especially, with how the night was going and most of the top secondary guys still on the board.

The more I read about Morgan though, the more I understand the pick. He fits the Packer OL profile to a tee. Size, versatility and experience. While I prefer him over Mims or Guyten, I would have been happier with Barton or just seeing Gute trade out of the 1st. Of course, had he traded out, none of us would have known it was do that or select Morgan.

Lots of good players available in round 2, Gute got the OL guy he probably wanted before the draft started.
Yeah, I get the pick. I just think they could have easily gotten him in the 2nd round. They could have had Wiggins, which is the guy I wanted them to take. What do I know though. Again, I'm just a dude sitting on a lazy boy in Appleton.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bill Bellichik was ecstatic on Morgan. I don’t like BB always and such but imma hold his opinion quite high.

Also I gotta say something…I’ve heard many say that a guy or these guys fell quite a bit…that is a very very over simplistic way of viewing the draft.

Guys don’t drop when you have an insanely atypical amount of QBs go in the top 12…or when you have three absolutely locks at WR to not make it far and a last two decades type TE prospect available.

Team need and runs dictate a lot of the flow and where guys drop.

A more specific example of something I cannot stand personally that I’m hearing….Picking Morgan doesn’t mean they didn’t like Barton…no, it could be they had them very similar but they see more in Morgan either overall or in the specific plan they think fits the best 5 approach.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A more specific example of something I cannot stand personally that I’m hearing….Picking Morgan doesn’t mean they didn’t like Barton…no, it could be they had them very similar but they see more in Morgan either overall or in the specific plan they think fits the best 5 approach.

I guess I haven't heard/read someone saying that the Packers didn't like Barton. Of course, I haven't read every post either. Based on his pick, Gute obviously liked Morgan more than Barton, that is the only thing I can 100% take away from last night. Did he like Morgan better that the 5 players chosen before him? No clue, we probably will never know. I guess I can also say he probably liked Morgan better than any guys still on the board when he picked.

I never expect my predictions to align with what the Packers actually do. I can only make guesses as to those picks and then make guesses as to why they picked a guy.

Another thing to take into consideration with the Morgan pick was what the board looked like by position. Morgan might have been the only OL player left that Gute had ranked top 30.

Members online

Latest posts