2024 draft discussion thread

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I do agree Kalen King could be a steal. I hope Stokes is healthy and plays to his potential. I do agree he could be a great corner if healthy and playing at his best. He has obviously played good at times. Regardless, I do think the competition should help the unit as a whole.

I wonder if Monk will be a guard or a center? or both? I was thinking he could be a center. We do need competition at center. Of course, I have also heard the speculation that Zach Tom could play center.
I know when he was drafted, the card said Center, which is what the Packers would have told them when they reported him as the pick. So I would say Center, with Guard as a 2nd position, at least starting out in training camp.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Well, the Aaron Rodgers trade is in the books... here's how all the compensation for both sides shook out.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Not to mention the cap savings, BS gone and we discovered that Love is pretty darn good.

Thank you Jets!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think this speaks to our staff believes that Stokes will make (or already has) a full recovery. I know Kalen King seems like an afterthought as a 7th Rounder and that’s partly true. I think he’s young and has a high football acumen. He does have some ?? But that pushed him from that Day2 area into the 5th. But mark my words at pick #255 he’s 100% worth taking a chance. After some earlier minimal research I was mocking King in that 5th round area regularly and without hesitation. If he answers a few ? ? He’s a Day 2 talent and that’s not an exaggeration.

I think based on where he was drafted (Packer investment), King might have the biggest upside of the Packers draft. Had he had a similar season to 2022, he's way up on everyone's board and a top CB in this draft.

Not sure what caused him to be off last season, but it sounds like he's very aware that this is his big shot to prove himself. While I don't know about the other 31 rosters, but GB is one where he will have plenty of opportunity to do just that. Not to mention that a place like GB just might be the spot where his focus will strictly be on Football.

He very well might fizzle out and just be another 7th round pick that didn't make it in the NFL. However, maybe with good coaching and good teammates playing around him, this guy becomes a rare 7th round gem.

Reaction score
Who came up with those grades? They're borderline idiotic.

I mean, the grades for Morgan through Lloyd are ok, maybe even reasonable. Hopper and Williams as a C- and D I can also understand why if you consider them reaches (which they might very well be), but whoever is grading these seems not to be taking into account what role they would play. But C for Oladopo and Monk?? Those were for me some of the best picks IMO. And a C for King? I mean, we're talking about a 7th rounder and is obviously a high risk high reward prospect.
True that. Obviously all draft selections are valuable. But no way I’d grade King a C at #255. On most scouting reports I saw they backed him up into that 160’s ballpark because he had a down year and then scared everyone by running a 4.61 at Combine. What nobody mentioned was he then ran a 4.52 40-time at his ProDay, which is pretty respectable. Also his 10 yard split was a 1.57. That isn’t alarming, it’s a 6.81 grade. His 37” vertical was similarly a 7.62. He’s probably a legit 7-7.5 RAS he just ran poorly at Combine I think sometimes they grade too harsh on that.

Imo. Kalen would be a “C” grade at pick #169 in Round 5, unless you are a Detroit Lions fan doing the grading and boo hoo ing like Detroit did live on draft night. Bunch of pansies

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it was kind of funny how the Detroit crowd kept booing the Packers when they came up to pick. I really like that one guy, he was named International Packer Fan of the Year, he came out dressed to the nines in Packer gear, and was trolling the Detroit crowd. He said "Detroit, I've got three words for you: Go Pack Go!", and kept saying "the four time Super Bowl champions".

Guess we'll see that in reverse next year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought it was kind of funny how the Detroit crowd kept booing the Packers when they came up to pick. I really like that one guy, he was named International Packer Fan of the Year, he came out dressed to the nines in Packer gear, and was trolling the Detroit crowd. He said "Detroit, I've got three words for you: Go Pack Go!", and kept saying "the four time Super Bowl champions".

Guess we'll see that in reverse next year.
That guy was great! Gutekunst even made mention of him later.
Next year is going to be a convention of NFC North fans. It's going to be very, very noisy when those 4 teams are picking. Really looking forward to it!!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
True that. Obviously all draft selections are valuable. But no way I’d grade King a C at #255. On most scouting reports I saw they backed him up into that 160’s ballpark because he had a down year and then scared everyone by running a 4.61 at Combine. What nobody mentioned was he then ran a 4.52 40-time at his ProDay, which is pretty respectable. Also his 10 yard split was a 1.57. That isn’t alarming, it’s a 6.81 grade. His 37” vertical was similarly a 7.62. He’s probably a legit 7-7.5 RAS he just ran poorly at Combine I think sometimes they grade too harsh on that.

Imo. Kalen would be a “C” grade at pick #169 in Round 5, unless you are a Detroit Lions fan doing the grading and boo hoo ing like Detroit did live on draft night. Bunch of pansies
Rakestraw was getting attention from talking heads on both Thursday and Friday as someone who would go soon so they had forgotten about his combine performance

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amazing to think Aaron Jones was a fifth round pick, he was one of the best players in the NFL last year.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think I have had this much confidence in a GM/Coach combo since the 90's.
Yeah, I mean at this point does this team even have any weaknesses? (Kicker) But the Lions are still favorites to win the division, and we have a tough schedule. I heard someone say the NFC North may be the best division in the NFL, and that may be. Packers, Lions, and Bears all look tough, and the Vikings are going to have their days.

Lol, like your new sig.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not surprised at the amount of folks declaring that Morgan was a borderline early Day3 guy….there are TONS of folks that don’t watch tape, read and study traits, measurables and reps at senior bowls.

Morgan was a Day2 level pick last year had he not got hurt….
Morgan had like 37 starts at LT, I think. Mims had 7 or 8 starts. Gotta wonder if Gluten takes Mims over Morgan if Mims is there at #25. Who knows? I guess we'll find out when they start playing. I still like the pick.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Morgan had like 37 starts at LT, I think. Mims had 7 or 8 starts. Gotta wonder if Gluten takes Mims over Morgan if Mims is there at #25. Who knows? I guess we'll find out when they start playing. I still like the pick.

Mims didn't fit any of the main tendencies of what we look for in tackles....would it have made it closer? Probably...but I'm not sure. Nor did it matter cuz Mims wasn't there at 25.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Fun fact for the day.

Jets rookie running back, Braelon Allen, was only a year old when the Packers drafted Aaron Rodgers.
Still would have liked to have seen Braelon in Green and Gold, I think the Jets got a really good and super young RB in Allen.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mims didn't fit any of the main tendencies of what we look for in tackles....would it have made it closer? Probably...but I'm not sure. Nor did it matter cuz Mims wasn't there at 25.
I think 6 OT's gone before GB's #25 pick played a role, also. No way Morgan would've been around even with a 5 position trade up in the 2nd round. Gute wanted Morgan & had to take him at 25, or lose him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think 6 OT's gone before GB's #25 pick played a role, also. No way Morgan would've been around even with a 5 position trade up in the 2nd round. Gute wanted Morgan & had to take him at 25, or lose him.
Was thinking the same thing. I was happy to see the first half of the first round go all offense, thus pushing better defensive players to the Packers (in my thought process). Had it been the other way around and only a few OL players had been taken, maybe Gute waits around or trades out of the first. When you really want a guy and he is there when you are on the clock, if he isn't going to last much longer, grab him.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like that besides the solid first rounder morgan OT who can play guard ... We drafted 2 more promising Olinemen and grabbed two more solid looking prospects in the undrafted free agency.... All those 5 guys played a bulk of their college career at LT. We definitely got some keepers.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was thinking the same thing. I was happy to see the first half of the first round go all offense, thus pushing better defensive players to the Packers (in my thought process). Had it been the other way around and only a few OL players had been taken, maybe Gute waits around or trades out of the first. When you really want a guy and he is there when you are on the clock, if he isn't going to last much longer, grab him.

I see it exactly the same way, although I was reacting too slowly in real time to see it that way at the moment. So I didn't see it then the way I see it now. Taken as a lone data point, Morgan surprised me. But as we rampaged through Day 2, and then started raking in more O-line on Day Three, it made perfect sense. Because it was only then that I could understand it in the context of his entire draft stragey.

I like that besides the solid first rounder morgan OT who can play guard ... We drafted 2 more promising Olinemen and grabbed two more solid looking prospects in the undrafted free agency.... All those 5 guys played a bulk of their college career at LT. We definitely got some keepers.

Gutekunst planted a bit of a flag in this draft, and I think there are some messages to be found here.

One of the things he has said is that he feels our window is now, and about a year earlier than he expected. I think what he's telling us with this draft is that he's adjusting his timeline in order to take advantage of that and do whatever he is able to do to make his move a year earlier - but without completely deviating from his longterm roster-building plan and going for broke too early like the Vikings did; doubling down and pissing away the draft capital he has been accumulating for the next layer of building blocks we need in the 24 and 25 drafts.

I think Gute has a multi-year plan in place for what pieces he wants on the roster for the most likely years of our window (25, 26, and however long after that), and he's not going to jeopardize that strategic plan. I think he's keeping a foot in both worlds, "slow and steady wins the race" and "strike while the iron is hot".

Things he has said about his team-building strategy seem to indicate he recognizes that championship teams have to be able to dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, and that everything else starts from that point. He's said it many times in many ways; you can't control the game if you don't control the LOS.

2023 was the year he laid down the foundation for a dominant passing game; O-line heavy 2024 seems to be the year he builds the offensive line to support that passing game. He's got his quarterback, he's got his receiving corps, he's got his running backs, and this weekend he got the personnel to build the line to protect the QB and support the RBs. We had a good O line in 23, but not a truly great one, and it was still more fragile than a lot of people probably realized. I think Gute is saying "good" isn't enough; he wants a truly great OL for many years to come, while he continues to fine-tune and add to the other pieces. An O line that makes Lafleur's offense unstoppable.

Next few years are going to be a fun time be a Packer fan, and I think there's a good chance that 8-10 months from now we're all going to every bit as goggle-eyed about how incredibly good our O line became in one year as we were a few months ago about the receivers. I think we'll have a superior offensive line next year, that will anchor us for years to come.