Sam Barrington injury update?

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
give Ray Lewis a call? lol...kidding.

However, if we get gashed by Lynch and Seattle Sunday night, I am inclined to believe that TT and Coach will do something drastic. Like perhaps a trade.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Francis would make it to PS before Bradford and I thought Thomas might make the 53. As you can see i'm often not right :) but I would like to see Thomas get another look. Maybe he was schematically off a lot of time, but he seemed to have good effort at least. Maybe it's because the rest were so underwhelming and he was playing against 4th stringers and camp cuts that he stood out to me towards the end of preseason, i don't know, but I'd like to see him again for a while.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
give Ray Lewis a call? lol...kidding.

However, if we get gashed by Lynch and Seattle Sunday night, I am inclined to believe that TT and Coach will do something drastic. Like perhaps a trade.
If we get gashed and still win, I doubt they do anything. Even in a loss, I don't think they make knee jerk reactions ever, and I don't foresee that changing in week 2 of this season. I'm sure they have plans in place and if certain players become available or others fall flat, they have a list of people to call up and give a shot too. Beyond making changes witih players they already have, I don't see them all of a sudden packing up some players or some draft picks to go get someone. But as we've seen before, i'm often not right, but that's my gut feeling.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This is starting to feel like the "Jordy incident" all over again. Season ending injury knocking out a starter at a position thin on experience. Can we make it through the season with Palmer and/or Ryan? Possibly. But one of them goes down or Matthews goes down and the ILB position is now a 911 concern. IMO, no matter what, a roster spot is going to get bumped to either bring someone up from the Practice squad or from somewhere else. Hoping TT is taking a long hard look at any and all veteran ILB's that are available, whether its through a trade or a street FA, we need some depth and experience.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Francis would make it to PS before Bradford and I thought Thomas might make the 53. As you can see i'm often not right :) but I would like to see Thomas get another look. Maybe he was schematically off a lot of time, but he seemed to have good effort at least. Maybe it's because the rest were so underwhelming and he was playing against 4th stringers and camp cuts that he stood out to me towards the end of preseason, i don't know, but I'd like to see him again for a while.

Yes, I'd like to see Thomas get another shot, at least he'd have some idea of the scheme and he's young and athletic. I'm done with Bradford, but I'm not sure Ted is.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Thomas was on the Cowboys PS based on a tweet sent out from one of his teammates but I didn't see him on their roster. I just missed him. He is alive and well on the Cowboys roster.

The patriots have a guy in his 4th year on their PS who is from Notre Dame and was with the 49ers for a few years. He missed an entire season due to injury and thats how he is still on a PS at his age. Darius Fleming. I don't think you keep a project on your PS that is in his 4th year. He is an insurance policy they are stashing there. 6'2 250 means he should be a stout run stopper inside. I can't imagine he plays outside.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I just hope that TT and Coach realize how critically down the ILB spot is now and look outside of the organization for help via trade. Carl Bradford isn't the answer.

I'm one of the more positive posters on this forum and I finally see a critical problem. I don't usually post stuff like this.

ILB was the Packers biggest weakness entering this offseason and I wasn't comfortable with the position even with Barrington being the starter. It's possible Thompson waiting until the fourth round in the draft to address the position is going to haunt us and this one is solely on the GM.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Considering how OLBs struggle to acclimate to ILB, IMO the chances Ripkowski could accomplish that switch with no off season, TC, or exhibition games preparation are zero IMO. And I don’t know why anyone would favor Thomas over Ryan. captainWIMM I don’t know why you keep bringing up the round they drafted Ryan – are you concerned about where Daniels was drafted? (Ryan was drafted three spots ahead of him.) Or Barrington, the seventh rounder? Would you have preferred they drafted an ILB in the first round instead of Randall, who (according to McGinn) played 61 snaps against the Bears and did pretty well for his first time out (IMO)? Or in the second instead of Rollins who – again MO – has a bright future? Or instead of Montgomery? I actually believed them (for a change) when they said they had Ryan rated above where they took him. And I think he has a chance to be good against both the run and pass. I hope he gets some experience early this season (not at the expense of an injury to Palmer) – he may be their best option heading into the playoffs.

D

Deleted member 6794

captainWIMM I don’t know why you keep bringing up the round they drafted Ryan – are you concerned about where Daniels was drafted? (Ryan was drafted three spots ahead of him.) Or Barrington, the seventh rounder? Would you have preferred they drafted an ILB in the first round instead of Randall, who (according to McGinn) played 61 snaps against the Bears and did pretty well for his first time out (IMO)? Or in the second instead of Rollins who – again MO – has a bright future? Or instead of Montgomery? I actually believed them (for a change) when they said they had Ryan rated above where they took him. And I think he has a chance to be good against both the run and pass. I hope he gets some experience early this season (not at the expense of an injury to Palmer) – he may be their best option heading into the playoffs.

It's no secret I would have preferred the Packers to select an inside linebacker in the first round. While it's possible the team had Ryan rated above all other prospects I don't think the position has been addressed adequately. The fact that he hasn't been able to move past Palmer on the depth chart, who moved inside only a year ago, missed all of last season and had his hand in a cast most of camp, isn't a promising start though.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone wants Thomas over Ryan. I think some or many want Thomas over Bradford if they have to call someone up for depth. I like Ryan and think he will develop nicely. What I don't like is Clay, Palmer and Ryan being the extent of the ILB depth right now.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't all too jazzed about the Ryan pick, but as the preseason wore on, by the last game he intrigued me a bit. Much like Palmer did and Thomas, but maybe it was because the ones before them were so blah, or maybe they were just playing against camp cuts by then. But I do think he showed he's coming around. I would like more depth too, but where is it going to come from?

I think the quality we got with our first 2 picks was better than the quality we would have gotten with an ILB pick in the first 2, so i'm ok with it. You never know how seasons play out and you pick the best players and let the chips fall. It might not be a perfect strategy, but it's going to work better in the long run.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if he's healthy, but Akeem Jordan is out there as a veteran, free agent ILB. Had MCL injury last November so was cut.

Mason Foster is a tackling machine just cut by the Bears, but they don't have a clue what defense they want to run or how to use their personnel... so he may be a viable ILB backup in GB.

Yawin Smallwood was just released by Tennessee and has good ILB instincts, but is pretty small (235 lbs. ish).

D

Deleted member 6794

Yawin Smallwood was just released by Tennessee and has good ILB instincts, but is pretty small (235 lbs. ish).

I liked Smallwood coming out of college but he has already been released by two teams. It seems like he doesn't have what it takes to make it at the pro level.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the quality we got with our first 2 picks was better than the quality we would have gotten with an ILB pick in the first 2, so i'm ok with it. You never know how seasons play out and you pick the best players and let the chips fall. It might not be a perfect strategy, but it's going to work better in the long run.

I think it's the best strategy as well. It should be paired with selectively addressing obvious positions of need in free agency which Thompson doesn't do enough though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
true, and i'm definitely not a scout, but nobody really jumped out at me as an ILB in this draft. Sure some could be better than what we have, maybe, but I don't think they were 2-3 rounds better than ryan. Actually I liked that guy from Miami as a 2nd rounder or so, but everyone thought he was too small and slow. i'm just not sure any of them were actually any better than the guys we have. I know some really liked that Dawson and Kendricks and I guess we'll see who made the right choices as the season(s) wear on. Last year I was pissed we didn't get Borland, this year I'm happy, I love football :)

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mason Foster is an interesting and intriguing name. He is a tackling machine as stated above. We should kick his tires. Hes only 26 years old too.

D

Deleted member 6794

true, and i'm definitely not a scout, but nobody really jumped out at me as an ILB in this draft. Sure some could be better than what we have, maybe, but I don't think they were 2-3 rounds better than ryan. Actually I liked that guy from Miami as a 2nd rounder or so, but everyone thought he was too small and slow. i'm just not sure any of them were actually any better than the guys we have. I know some really liked that Dawson and Kendricks and I guess we'll see who made the right choices as the season(s) wear on. Last year I was pissed we didn't get Borland, this year I'm happy, I love football :)

Stephone Anthony was actually the only one of the top-rated prospects to start in week 1 and did a decent job. As I've repeated several times I would have preferred to draft Kendricks and I'm convinced he would have been able to improve the Packers defense.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Could Lance Briggs play inside? He was willing to play there for the Bears if they switched to a 3-4. Now wouldn't that be special to talk him out of retirement and come play for GB :coffee:

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lance Briggs left practice during week 1 of the bears season last year to open a freaking restaurant. Hell no. He can stay retired since his heart retired long ago.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stephone Anthony was actually the only one of the top-rated prospects to start in week 1 and did a decent job. As I've repeated several times I would have preferred to draft Kendricks and I'm convinced he would have been able to improve the Packers defense.

Kendricks could have been the pick but he is already be groomed to play outside at minnesota. He might get his shot to start inside though bc hodges was brutal their first game. Kendricks is 3rd string mlb for minny behind hodges and cole. He does play in their nickel package I think. Now I admit to not knowing how minny uses a mlb in the 4-3 compared to an ilb 3-4.

I think Kendricks would help our pass defense but he hasn't looked great against the run from what I have heard. Too small to be inside.

D

Deleted member 6794

Kendricks could have been the pick but he is already be groomed to play outside at minnesota. He might get his shot to start inside though bc hodges was brutal their first game. Kendricks is 3rd string mlb for minny behind hodges and cole. He does play in their nickel package I think. Now I admit to not knowing how minny uses a mlb in the 4-3 compared to an ilb 3-4.

I think Kendricks would help our pass defense but he hasn't looked great against the run from what I have heard. Too small to be inside.

Kendricks would have been able to play all three downs inside in a 3-4 defense.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Lance Briggs left practice during week 1 of the bears season last year to open a freaking restaurant. Hell no. He can stay retired since his heart retired long ago.

Not that it really matters, since the chance of Briggs unretiring and signing with GB are slim to none, but Trestman excused Briggs from practice for the Grand Opening of his restaurant.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mason Foster got cut? Now that's an idea :)
The Bears annointed Shea McClellin to be their mainstay ILB, so Foster got released (multiple times, I believe, over the past 2 weeks).

I'd prefer Mason Foster over other experienced FA's, don't know much about the 1st/2nd yr. guys that are FA.

Members online

No members online now.