Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, you are back to implying that very few NFL players get large guaranteed money. You are wrong, hundreds of players do. You obviously either didn't look at the stats I referred to or you consider 6 figures and up to what....$15M to be chump change?

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
$15M is certainly not chump change, a few hundred thousand per year is. Approx 2000 players each year under contract. The AVERAGE career is 3.3 years. Most of those players lasting 2,3,4 years never sniff significant if any garaunteed money. You’re focused on the top 10% (or less) and you obviously don’t understand money. A guy would have to have approx $4Mil after taxes/agents/living expenses etc salted away to be able to draw $100K/year inflation proofed for life (which doesn’t exactly buy a lavish lifestyle)… very very few players pluck that huckleberry

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We just have to be patient and wait and see.
Or...we can have fun and speculate like everyone else. I don't come here just to talk about absolutes and the past, I have fun trying to guess what will happen. I think that is kind of the nature of following Sports at least for me.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
$15M is certainly not chump change, a few hundred thousand per year is. Approx 2000 players each year under contract. The AVERAGE career is 3.3 years. Most of those players lasting 2,3,4 years never sniff significant if any garaunteed money. You’re focused on the top 10% (or less) and you obviously don’t understand money. A guy would have to have approx $4Mil after taxes/agents/living expenses etc salted away to be able to draw $100K/year inflation proofed for life (which doesn’t exactly buy a lavish lifestyle)… very very few players pluck that huckleberry
A few hundred thousand per year is chump change? I am guessing that most Americans would laugh at that statement. It seems what you are saying is that the NFL needs to figure out a system that puts at least $4M into evey players bank account before they retire, otherwise there is no way they can survive retirement, especially on less that $100K/year.

I'm seriously shaking my head in disbelief that people think this way. Maybe it just isn't the NFL that I should be disgusted with, but the fans that think that is how it should work and that players who play for 1-4 years, should just be able to retire at the age of 21-25 and be set up to be able to spend at least $100K each year for the rest of their lives.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few hundred thousand per year is chump change? I am guessing that most Americans would laugh at that statement. It seems what you are saying is that the NFL needs to figure out a system that puts at least $4M into evey players bank account before they retire, otherwise there is no way they can survive retirement, especially on less that $100K/year.

I'm seriously shaking my head in disbelief that people think this way. Maybe it just isn't the NFL that I should be disgusted with, but the fans that think that is how it should work and that players who play for 1-4 years, should just be able to retire at the age of 21-25 and be set up to be able to spend at least $100K each year for the rest of their lives.

It boggles my mind how cavalier they are with money in the NFL. It's like they don't give a rip, just add another $20 to the price of tickets, and get a few billion more from the TV packages.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It boggles my mind how cavalier they are with money in the NFL. It's like they don't give a rip, just add another $20 to the price of tickets, and get a few billion more from the TV packages.
Agreed. Many fans don't realize that they and non-fans are the ones paying for it as well. Look at ticket, concession and apparel prices for starters. Then move on to product prices, You know that State Farm Insurance Policy that you purchased, fan or not. They don't pay Rodgers and Mahomes with NFL money to do those commercials. Oh, you don't buy any products that advertise during NFL games? Well, that "Bobs Beer" is now $1 per six pack higher, because Miller Light raised their prices to pay for advertising during the Super Bowl.

Anyway....Better get back on the topic of Rodgers getting paid $50M year.

TEXPAC2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has a QB ever left a team and followed a coach to another one?
Not saying it wouldn't happen here.
I just wonder where these ideas come from that A-Rod will leave and follow a coach.
They come from the media wanting to hear their own voices and that style of reporting almost guarantees it.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, you don't buy any products that advertise during NFL games? Well, that "Bobs Beer" is now $1 per six pack higher, because Miller Light raised their prices to pay for advertising during the Super Bowl.
So that explains inflation!
Commercials during the Super Bowl.
And here we all thought it was something else.
Who knew economics could be so simple?
:D

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So that explains inflation!
Commercials during the Super Bowl.
And here we all thought it was something else.
Who knew economics could be so simple?
:D
If you have ever studied economics, you would understand the concept. Not once did I say that the NFL is responsible for ALL inflation, I said it influences consumer prices of many products, that even those who don't watch Football, are paying for.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They are cavalier, because they can be. Consumers like ourselves have created a money making machine for the NFL. I fully admit to being a hypocrite when I complain about the money involved in football. Since after all, I do go to games, buy concessions and watch games on TV. I know several fans that got PO'd about all the money and complaining by players over it, that they gave up Football a long time ago. I'm definitely one that is on the fence and it won't take much more to make giving it up very easy.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you have ever studied economics, you would understand the concept. Not once did I say that the NFL is responsible for ALL inflation, I said it influences consumer prices of many products, that even those who don't watch Football, are paying for.
I was joking which is what the green grin guy was for.

Though since you did bring it up....
Does SB advertising really increase the price of products or was that just a fantasy example you brought up to make your point.
If it is true, why would "Bob's Beer" cost more if it was Miller that advertised?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was joking which is what the green grin guy was for.

Though since you did bring it up....
Does SB advertising really increase the price of products or was that just a fantasy example you brought up to make your point.
If it is true, why would "Bob's Beer" cost more if it was Miller that advertised?
Sorry I missed the green grin. :)

Super Bowl advertising and the Network that buys the rights definitely contributes to what I was talking about. I am not going to fish for the numbers, but I know that to advertise during a SB, the price per 15 second or 30 second slot is incredibly higher than at other times during the season. So yes, when a small startup company like "Go Daddy.com" decides to roll the dice and spend its entire yearly advertising budget on one SB commercial, where do you think they got the money to do that and continue to do that?

I remember when "generic brands" came out. White boxes with black lettering, that contained food produced under another label, but put into those boxes. My Mom loved it. She could buy things for a lot less than name brands. Didn't last long though, I am not sure if it was due to bad quality or people were more swayed by the products they saw on TV and willing to pay more.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And in the meantime no one has any idea what he is going to do.
We are all just guessing because what else is there to talk about?
I think it also comes from the rumors/reports/speculation that he was even just thinking of leaving GB before the start of the season and so we/media somehow think that carries on over even though he had one of his best seasons with the Pack.
We just have to be patient and wait and see.
We kind of suck at that LOL. We could also just wait and see who they draft but….

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I’m not saying they all should be able to.Most people much less most 20-something footbsll players even think in those terms (but they should… ) I’m pointing out that they need to grab what they can when they can because it’s a very very small window for most and **** it’s gone. And most of the money is not garaunteed. You get hurt or a step slower **** you’re gone. 3.3 years, that’s the AVERAGE, the lower half of the player pool turns over at an even faster rate. The owners, networks, etc. are making huge money on football so why shouldn’t the 2000 BEST people in the world at what they do? You’re fixated on a relatively few players who get big garaunteed money. The Packers didn’t give Bahk big money as a reward or because he’s a nice guy. They did it because if they didn’t, somebody else would, and he’d be gone unless they ponied up even more. Bahk blows up his knee a couple weeks before he signs his mega deal instead of a couple weeks after … he kisses probably $75M goodbye.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry I missed the green grin. :)

Super Bowl advertising and the Network that buys the rights definitely contributes to what I was talking about. I am not going to fish for the numbers, but I know that to advertise during a SB, the price per 15 second or 30 second slot is incredibly higher than at other times during the season. So yes, when a small startup company like "Go Daddy.com" decides to roll the dice and spend its entire yearly advertising budget on one SB commercial, where do you think they got the money to do that and continue to do that?

I remember when "generic brands" came out. White boxes with black lettering, that contained food produced under another label, but put into those boxes. My Mom loved it. She could buy things for a lot less than name brands. Didn't last long though, I am not sure if it was due to bad quality or people were more swayed by the products they saw on TV and willing to pay more.
And every year we get a report on how much those ads cost and they go up every year.
I think it is going to be 6 mil this year.
At some point it could reach a billion.
It is getting out of hand and ridiculous.
And now they suck when they used to be good.
Thing is that I am not a mainstream consumer nor rich so those ads wash off me like water on a ducks back.
So if I watch the SB I plan to watch it the same way I do for Packers games. DVR it and watch it taped or on delay to FF through the ads and the half time show which is going to be rap this year. Ugh!

I remember when it was the beer ads that were funny instead of the insurance ones.
Now it is the other way around!
LOL

We never got those generic products you mention but I remember seeing them.
I think they got replaced by the cheaper or in store brands, like Roundys, Simple Truth/Kroger or Sure Fine.
I have been seeing a new one called Food Club at Woodman's.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
And every year we get a report on how much those ads cost and they go up every year.
I think it is going to be 6 mil this year.
At some point it could reach a billion.
It is getting out of hand and ridiculous.
And now they suck when they used to be good.
Thing is that I am not a mainstream consumer nor rich so those ads wash off me like water on a ducks back.
So if I watch the SB I plan to watch it the same way I do for Packers games. DVR it and watch it taped or on delay to FF through the ads and the half time show which is going to be rap this year. Ugh!

I remember when it was the beer ads that were funny instead of the insurance ones.
Now it is the other way around!
LOL

We never got those generic products you mention but I remember seeing them.
I think they got replaced by the cheaper or in store brands, like Roundys, Simple Truth/Kroger or Sure Fine.
I have been seeing a new one called Food Club at Woodman's.
It is interesting, you have the same opinion that most Americans have been led to believe about the SB ads. "They are the best, you can't miss them." Now there probably is some truth to that, but, the more the NFL and networks can promote that, the more people want to watch the game...to watch the ads...which does what? Raises the cost to place an ad, because everyone is now talking about them and watching them in any shape or form that they can.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is interesting, you have the same opinion that most Americans have been led to believe about the SB ads. "They are the best, you can't miss them." Now there probably is some truth to that, but, the more the NFL and networks can promote that, the more people want to watch the game...to watch the ads...which does what? Raises the cost to place an ad, because everyone is now talking about them and watching them in any shape or form that they can.
In today's viral world some ads are released even before the game and there are a few who compile them all and show them on YouTube. "This year's 10 best," or whatever.

Since they cost millions I guess they want to get all they can out of it which is why they show them before the game and also to try and make their money back ASAP.
I really don't care and there is only one that I have ever liked which was years ago and I only heard about it and didn't see it till a few years later on YT.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You’re fixated on a relatively few players who get big garaunteed money.
Actually, I am not, but you keep glossing over that fact. I will never agree with you that because players "football careers" are so short lived, they need to be set for life to live like a king when they end. Outside of Sports and the entertainment business, is that how things work?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In today's viral world some ads are released even before the game and there are a few who compile them all and show them on YouTube. "This year's 10 best," or whatever.

Since they cost millions I guess they want to get all they can out of it which is why they show them before the game and also to try and make their money back ASAP.
I really don't care and there is only one that I have ever liked which was years ago and I only heard about it and didn't see it till a few years later on YT.
I think you are getting exactly what I am saying and why companies are lining up to pay top dollar to run a SB ad. Great marketing strategy someone came up with to actually get consumers not just wanting to watch commercials, but having them talk about them around the water cooler for weeks after they run.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd take a job for chump change if its a few hundred thousand dollars.

My problem is why can't these players at the bottom have a contingency plan for when their football career ends. Why does football have to set them up for life. Can't they get another job?

I don't blame anyone for trying to get as much as they can but I don't have any sympathy for them if their career ends early (unless its a major injury that affects their quality of life)

A guy who goes through four years of college and signs on to a teams practice squad and stays there for 1 year will earn 165,000 dollars his first year out of college. If that is the extent of his football career he has still gotten a bigger leg up than most college grads do.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are getting exactly what I am saying and why companies are lining up to pay top dollar to run a SB ad. Great marketing strategy someone came up with to actually get consumers not just wanting to watch commercials, but having them talk about them around the water cooler for weeks after they run.
Do you go nuts over the ads or are you more like, "Meh. Whatever." like me?
(I suspect the latter but wanted to ask to be sure.)

And do you watch the SB no matter who is playing?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd take a job for chump change if its a few hundred thousand dollars.

My problem is why can't these players at the bottom have a contingency plan for when their football career ends. Why does football have to set them up for life. Can't they get another job?

I don't blame anyone for trying to get as much as they can but I don't have any sympathy for them if their career ends early (unless its a major injury that affects their quality of life)

A guy who goes through four years of college and signs on to a teams practice squad and stays there for 1 year will earn 165,000 dollars his first year out of college. If that is the extent of his football career he has still gotten a bigger leg up than most college grads do.
Come on man....these are NFL players we are talking about....they can't live on that!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Do you go nuts over the ads or are you more like, "Meh. Whatever." like me?
(I suspect the latter but wanted to ask to be sure.)

And do you watch the SB no matter who is playing?
I used to be a Super Bowl ad junkie, as well as a Football junkie. Life changes, priorities change. If I watch a game, including the Packers, I don't normally start watching until an hour after it started. That way, I can FF through all the commercials and be caught up by the end of the game. It is funny, when I am at a game and there is a "TV timeout", it feels like forever in the stadium, before they start playing again.

I bet I have only watched half or less of the SB's in the last 20 years. If the Packers aren't in them or I don't have a party to go to, I can find better things to do.

Members online

No members online now.