Packers @ Rams 10/6/24 Pregame Thread

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Wow, it's Thursday and there isn't a pregame thread yet?

The Packers seem to be catching the Rams at a good time. While the Rams injury report doesn't look that bad, one just has to look at their IR list to see why they have been struggling as of late.

Notable Rams on injured reserve​

The Packers injury report doesn't look that great, but I think a lot of these guys will suit up on Sunday.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Reaction score
Wow. Thats a devastating injury list for the Rams. Its almost not fair.

That said. Stafford is a good Veteran QB who has elevated players around him. Tutu had 80-90 yards in both the 49ers and Bears. Stafford does have some good targets so even though it’s an extensive injury list, they could give us trouble.

Just as big a glaring hole is missing 4-5 OL. Without even thinking intuition is to dial up some 5 man rushes early in. We cannot get behind here with quick scores we can’t let Stafford pick n choose his Reads. I’d send additional pressure early in this one and get our Running game established this time.

PS. I just saw where the Packers rank as a Top 5 OL. If we win in the O trenches we will be hard to stop. Our RB tandem is one of the better in the league. It can help take pressure off Jordan and get him back in that 25-30 passes area.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. Thats a devastating injury list for the Rams. Its almost not fair.

That said. Stafford is a good Veteran QB who has elevated players around him. Tutu had 80-90 yards in both the 49ers and Bears. Stafford does have some good targets so even though it’s an extensive injury list, they could give us trouble.

Just as big a glaring hole is missing 4-5 OL. Without even thinking intuition is to dial up some 5 man rushes early in. We cannot get behind here with quick scores we can’t let Stafford pick n choose his Reads. I’d send additional pressure early in this one and get our Running game established this time.

PS. I just saw where the Packers rank as a Top 5 OL. If we win in the O trenches we will be hard to stop. Our RB tandem is one of the better in the league. It can help take pressure off Jordan and get him back in that 25-30 passes area.
The Rams cannot afford to sink any more than Arizona. Hope they struggle for one more week. Last year we caught them without Stafford. They have three things going for them: Their coach and their QB and home field. We have to play 60 minutes.

Reaction score
The Rams cannot afford to sink any more than Arizona. Hope they struggle for one more week. Last year we caught them without Stafford. They have three things going for them: Their coach and their QB and home field. We have to play 60 minutes.
Looks like Valentine practiced again today and J’aire suited up in pads and practiced also. Although Doubs was held out with Watson today not sure what’s up there. The injury report will be key.
I still like our chances. Wyatt missing won’t help. I’m excited for J Ford if he can go. We need to get him some snaps.

I’d still take J’aire over Wyatt. I could see us dialing up a few LB or DB blitz packages to supplement the Pass Rush. Last week we rushed 4 too regular and still couldn’t stop MN. I’d rather be proactive and mix in some 5 personnel Rush more regular, and this time, earlier in the game. Set the tone if you will.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like Valentine practiced again today and J’aire suited up in pads and practiced also. Although Doubs was held out with Watson today not sure what’s up there. The injury report will be key.
I still like our chances. Wyatt missing won’t help. I’m excited for J Ford if he can go. We need to get him some snaps.

I’d still take J’aire over Wyatt. I could see us dialing up a few LB or DB blitz packages to supplement the Pass Rush. Last week we rushed 4 too regular and still couldn’t stop MN. I’d rather be proactive and mix in some 5 personnel Rush more regular, and this time, earlier in the game. Set the tone if you will.
The Rams do not have the receiving arsenal of the Vikings. Stafford is still very good if you can protect him.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Rams do not have the receiving arsenal of the Vikings. Stafford is still very good if you can protect him.
This will be the key imo, early in the game. Pressure him quickly and often no matter what it takes. If we can get a couple 3 And outs early, it should allow LaFleur to set offensive and game tempo.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been hearing when the Rams play in LA their stadium is half full of opposing fans so they may not enjoy home field advantage like other teams do.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This will be the key imo, early in the game. Pressure him quickly and often no matter what it takes. If we can get a couple 3 And outs early, it should allow LaFleur to set offensive and game tempo.
If we can't get after an immobile QB like Stafford is now and a beat up OL I'll be disappointed no matter the outcome of this game. Our lack of a pash rush with all the draft capital expended on this area of the D has been concerning so far this year.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These next two games are must win games. If we're what everyone thinks we are we should win them decisively. We are 0-2 in big games -Eagles/Vikings-so we have to start building momentum now.

Reaction score
I've been hearing when the Rams play in LA their stadium is half full of opposing fans so they may not enjoy home field advantage like other teams do.
That is true. But to rain on that parade we are about winless area in that stadium. Worse than our 3rd round draft curse bad. Lol
One thing I’ve noticed about having a young team. So far we appear to travel better.

Both Atlanta and Tampa evened out at 3-2. It would be really helpful to match them. The Lions will get tested this next 30 days. They play at Dallas, at MN at GB. This will be one of the few weekends I’m a Dallas fan.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stafford is very good at the end of the game too. Pressure him early like you said. And keep the heat on all game and keep the pedal to the metal offensively. While trying to use up clock with a lead has been traditionally correct; these days no lead seems to be safe and many teams only need a little time to come back at the end. So keep scoring. imho

Reaction score
Stafford is very good at the end of the game too. Pressure him early like you said. And keep the heat on all game and keep the pedal to the metal offensively. While trying to use up clock with a lead has been traditionally correct; these days no lead seems to be safe and many teams only need a little time to come back at the end. So keep scoring. imho
Exactly. That’s one thing that is becoming our identity. We did it later last year and again to start this season.
We can Run the ball well and in particular in the 2nd half we tear teams up.
To your point of scoring. Red zone Red Zone Red Zone. The team that finishes better in the Redzone seems to win disproportionately over the other. We have been sloppy so far to our ability. Limit the Turnovers and Penalties and we are very hard to beat.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. That’s one thing that is becoming our identity. We did it later last year and again to start this season.
We can Run the ball well and in particular in the 2nd half we tear teams up.
To your point of scoring. Red zone Red Zone Red Zone. The team that finishes better in the Redzone seems to win disproportionately over the other. We have been sloppy so far to our ability. Limit the Turnovers and Penalties and we are very hard to beat.
I don't think we should run just to use clock. Keep getting first downs. Keep moving the ball. Mix it up. Do what is working. Don't just run to prove you can run. Stats be damned. Game time decisions require play calling in that moment. imho

Reaction score
I don't think we should run just to use clock. Keep getting first downs. Keep moving the ball. Mix it up. Do what is working. Don't just run to prove you can run. Stats be damned. Game time decisions require play calling in that moment. imho
I’m not sure who claims we should run for stats or run just solely to use the clock?? However every OC uses the philosophy of increasing the MIX of Rushing attempts the closer they are to the end of the game and the bigger the lead, especially if they possess a powerful running attack. So I 100% agree that Rushing shouldn’t ever be used to put up stats. It should be used as a complimentary avenue to Win games.

The point I would make is if a team is a Top 2 Rushing team (Packers) AND they have multi score Lead AND they have had relative success using the Run? Use it increasingly more as the end of the game approaches. If I’m averaging 5.5 yards per carry then good chance I put myself in 2nd and 5 or less, which opens up the playbook to PASS or RUN and thus it keeps my opponent guessing.
The other thing we forget it that Rushing is more stable. It creates less turnovers per touch and the last thing you want is to help an opponent back into the game. Last week is a good example. The Packers gave up 4 Turnovers in the Passing game in 54 attempts in 1 game. Across 4 contests and exactly 140 attempts we’ve fumbled ….
1 time

I’m a Stat guy but the only stat I really care about is
W or L
If someone can show me how to Win every time and never Run the ball even once? I’ll be the first person to sign the petition.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but the name of the game is to protect the football when you have the LEAD in the closing minutes. You really want to do that anyways but it’s critical at the end of the game. Running might not be “flashy”. Rushing might have “lost its luster” to many fans. Yet mixing in a healthy dose of Run ends the game faster and it’s safer in the process. Thats why it’s employed regular in those scenarios.
I'm not so sure it's safer for two reasons. One, I am just not so sure it is really safer. And two, the safest thing is to hold on to the ball by moving the chains. Flashy has nothing to do with it. At least not for me.

Reaction score
Of course we want to move the chains. Who wouldn’t agree with that approach? We’re talking about HOW to move the chains. I think we need to get our Run game more involved.

In our 2 losses the Packers have Rushed 40 times at 6.22 yards per carry.
Thats 20 times per game. 0-2 record

So would you have Run less? Or maybe I should ask How much less?

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course we want to move the chains. Who wouldn’t agree with that approach? We’re talking about HOW to move the chains. I think we need to get our Run game more involved.

In our 2 losses the Packers have Rushed 40 times at 6.22 yards per carry.
Thats 20 times per game. 0-2 record

So would you have Run less? Or maybe I should ask How much less?
Again stats. You have to look at who we played. And then how we are running in the game going on. Have we been getting first downs pretty easily on the ground? Are the stats messed up by one or two long runs? If it's just stats; I guess at 6.22 we'll march down the field every time. I'm in favor of throwing on an obvious passing down for instance. Especially towards the end of the game and we can come close to clinching it with a first down. imo just having them using up their time outs isn't going to do it. Normally, we have to stop them anyway. Our O line hasn't really showed me that we can just get short yardage on 3rd or 4th down when we need it. Hopefully we won't have to worry about it because we have a good lead. GoPackGo

Reaction score
Again stats. You have to look at who we played. And then how we are running in the game going on. Have we been getting first downs pretty easily on the ground? Are the stats messed up by one or two long runs? If it's just stats; I guess at 6.22 we'll march down the field every time. I'm in favor of throwing on an obvious passing down for instance. Especially towards the end of the game and we can come close to clinching it with a first down. imo just having them using up their time outs isn't going to do it. Normally, we have to stop them anyway. Our O line hasn't really showed me that we can just get short yardage on 3rd or 4th down when we need it. Hopefully we won't have to worry about it because we have a good lead. GoPackGo
I think I see what you are referring to. Closing out a game etc.
I agree teams often play the odds and try to burn the clock. Often letting their opponent creep back in. I don’t like that either. Much of what I’m talking about is exercising our strengths. If I’m a bottom 5 rushing team playing a Top 5 Run D I’m probably not forcing it. Thankfully we are not that team

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I see what you are referring to. Closing out a game etc.
I agree teams often play the odds and try to burn the clock. Often letting their opponent creep back in. I don’t like that either. Much of what I’m talking about is exercising our strengths. If I’m a bottom 5 rushing team playing a Top 5 Run D I’m probably not forcing it. Thankfully we are not that team
And sometimes closing out a game begins in the 4th quarter. Using up the clock by getting first downs. Not worrying about keeping the clock running. Although, if the running game is working pretty well; all the better. But if it's not; don't force it.

Members online