Newman's reworked contract

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like they shaved $800K off his contract which from the outside appears that he was told it was the only way they could keep him in camp. From the Packers perspective it would seem to make him more tradeable to a team that is hurting for OL depth. Am I looking at this wrong?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Can he play center? There have been a few injured around the league. Next week he may get moved if Morgan gets healthy or Monk steps up.

Reaction score
Looks like they shaved $800K off his contract which from the outside appears that he was told it was the only way they could keep him in camp. From the Packers perspective it would seem to make him more tradeable to a team that is hurting for OL depth. Am I looking at this wrong?
Right now he’s probably our best option behind Jenkins at LG. He’s really like a swing Guard. However Morgan should be fine by regular season and I think Rhyan is the primary backup at RG.
Plus I recall that Monk played extensively at RG and C. He would even flip back and forth within games. So we think of him as a Center but he’s played just as much at RG. Yet they’ll probably want to keep Monk clean at Center would be my guess.
I’m not sure what they’re thinking with Travis Glover? He’d be a problem for Newman because he’s basically fighting for a 10th-11th OL spot (might have to go PS)

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was done a long time ago? End of July sometime if memory serves. I made a post about it to, because that was the only reason I envision us keeping him on the roster now because his hit outweighed his backup worth.

Reaction score
This was done a long time ago? End of July sometime if memory serves. I made a post about it to, because that was the only reason I envision us keeping him on the roster now because his hit outweighed his backup worth.
Please explain “This”. I don’t recall the post. Thanks Tyni

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please explain “This”. I don’t recall the post. Thanks Tyni
Now you don't cut him for that small of a savings likely...this was a win/win for him and the team....he wasn't worth his hit for likely position on the team (IF he made it) and for him it's a bet on yourself and you likely have more knowledge where you will be this year instead of facing a cut and search.

Reaction score
makes sense. Cost vs benefit contract approach. Similar to the approach taken with Dillon.

Give me your “make me stay” price.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
makes sense. Cost vs benefit contract approach. Similar to the approach taken with Dillon.

Give me your “make me stay” price.
He’s there now since they asked him and he took a pay cut back in July. Starter history and can be fill plug depth guy has value. He is not a resign candidate after the season unless minimum but he’s worth the small hit now if we want him as a backup.

Reaction score
He’s there now since they asked him and he took a pay cut back in July. Starter history and can be fill plug depth guy has value. He is not a resign candidate after the season unless minimum but he’s worth the small hit now if we want him as a backup.
Ok. That was a good move. GB would save just shy of $2Mil. Closer to $1Mil if he gets his 17 Game Roster bonus’. Thats a chunk of $ in one little rework

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could also see GB if they're confident elsewhere to cut him and have him be a planned resign for PS if he clears waivers.

A guy like him though is for sure going to get grabbed I'd bet...past starting experience that showed promise, and another team may have need depth wise on their actual 53 - he'd be very cheap with no risk to another team.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts