best dudes to ever wear the G

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to add a couple of Aarons to the list - Aaron Jones and Aaron Kampman. Jones is just a really decent, down to earth guy, good teammate, good example to younger players and represented the team well to the community. The kind of guy we wish every Packer was.

Kampman, I'd say pretty much the same thing, and point out that during his time here, he was the guy the coaches would point to for the incoming rookies and say, "See that guy? Be like him."

Every team's got a couple of those and when Kampman was here, he was one of them. I always felt badly that he never got his ring, but was thrilled to see him enter the Green Bay Packer Hall of Fame a month ago. Since retirement, he has founded Align, Inc., a leadership development company that he created to help people identify and develop the leadership potential in themselves, participates in football camps, and I believe still coaches high school football in rural iowa.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why did you laugh at my post about Rodgers being a good dude? He was actively involved in the MACC Fund, Make-a-Wish, the Salvation Army and Camp Hometown Heroes.

Look, I’ve known many guys like Rodgers. Extremely gifted, and freaking amazing at something - could be being a businessman, making profits, politician, athlete or whatever else one might think of.

However, truth be told when confronted with someone who disagrees they show true colors…or their arrogance is not just present a ton it is palpable just being around them.

Aaron to me wasn’t always like this, but Lord have mercy the second half of his career I often times found myself just over having him as my team’s QB.

So I laughed because yes, folks soaked in arrogance or narcissism are fully capable of being part of excellent and good organizations and such. I see it everyday in my community…but I find it hilarious when these types of people are praised.

I fully understand I could have Rodgers completely mislabeled but it’s what I see and take from all of which he has done and said say the last seven years or so.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why did you laugh at my post about Rodgers being a good dude? He was actively involved in the MACC Fund, Make-a-Wish, the Salvation Army and Camp Hometown Heroes.
I agree. While I didn't like his attitude seemingly towards the coach and anyone not doing exactly what he thought they should the last few years; it didn't affect good things he did off the field.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. While I didn't like his attitude seemingly towards the coach and anyone not doing exactly what he thought they should the last few years; it didn't affect good things he did off the field.
This is another reason why I laughed because to wear the G is all encompassing. He failed some of that

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll take issue with Sterling as a "Best Dude To Ever Wear The Green" candidate. While I loved to watch him play, he refused to talk with the media and I can never forget his holdout in 1994. The day before the season-opener against the Vikings, he said he would play the season because he was unhappy with the 10yr contract that he signed in 1991. It lacked class.
It never bothered me that Sterling did not want to talk to the press. I was much more concerned with how he did on the field. And the inane questions and repeats of questions over and over are still enough to drive anyone crazy. I enjoyed watching him on his TV program for a couple of years. Thought he was logical, poised and objective. Except that he was a Packer homer. All right with me.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think many fail to realize that if you’re gonna be considered one of the best people to wear a G, I think or would argue you have to be someone EVERYONE you ask from teammates, opponents, coaches, community and organization will also unanimously agree.

When you think of it in this capacity the list narrows down very very quickly IMO.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Kampman, I'd say pretty much the same thing, and point out that during his time here, he was the guy the coaches would point to for the incoming rookies and say, "See that guy? Be like him."
Forgot about him. During his tenure, he had a one day seminar on teaching men to be better fathers. "All-Pro dads" IIRC. Take your 7-13 aged child to the Hudson center, do a few events, then the dad's went to the 4th floor of the Atrium for the speeches on how to be a better dad. The kids were left at the Hudson center with a group of players and staff doing football related activities. I knew a few of the dad's there from my area and none of them were what society would consider poor parents (my pastor, ta few of my kids sports coaches, etc.) His number one rule was to show love and respect to the child's mother. #2 rule was to love your daughters and set high expectations of what a good man is. If you didn't love her, she'd find someone who would. Anyone would do.

OOMPA Tailgate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spun this out of a different thread. Not the player but the man. I don't expect a Mossy Cade, James Lofton, Paul Hornung to show up here. I'm looking more towards the Starr15, Reggie92, Driver80, and yes AJ Dillon 28 type of someone you'd want your sons to emulate and daughters to admire.
I have to - thinking about it - do Ahman Green - I remember a run he did for maybe 80 yards and I dont think a corvette could have caught him (maybe even to win the game - that guy could fly:))