Best and Worst of Week 5 PFF Grades

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As always minimum 10 snaps and don't take this as blind faith on my part, just sharing :

BEST OFFENSE
Josh Jacobs - 78.3
Tucker Kraft - 75.3
Emanuel Wilson - 71.8
Jayden Reed - 71.6
Rasheed Walker - 68.1

WORST OFFENSE
Josh Myers - 38.5
Jordan Love - 51.1
Malik Heath - 51.1
Zach Tom - 52.1
Sean Rhyan - 53.3

BEST DEFENSE
TJ Slaton - 89.3
Xavier McKinney - 88.3
Edgerrin Cooper - 85.5
Kingsley Enagbare - 84.4
Evan Williams - 81.9

WORST DEFENSE
Karl Brooks - 38.6
Eric Stokes - 41.7
Javon Bullard - 45.2
Carrington Valentine - 51.2
Colby Wooden - 52.0

Reaction score
A couple of thoughts and let me state it’s not directed at anyone because these are 3rd party ratings. Which for the most part I agree.

Karl Brooks got a 38.6 our worst Defender? I highly disagree. Karl’s name regularly popped while causing all sorts of disruption upfront. Too low

TJ Slaton with a 90? Xavier McKinney was the NFL Defensive Player of the Week. The only way a player should achieve above XM better have at MINIMUM.. multiple Sacks, a Sack Turnover and be near flawless on every play. A 90 grade for me is Elite. You’d better have multiple Game changing plays stacked and I’m not talking a supporting role. Im talking dominating the Players across in obvious fashion. Too High

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts and let me state it’s not directed at anyone because these are 3rd party ratings. Which for the most part I agree.

Karl Brooks got a 38.6 our worst Defender? I highly disagree. Karl’s name regularly popped while causing all sorts of disruption upfront.

Karl is a disruptive force in almost anytime he sees snaps that are passing plays. Karl struggled mightedly in his run defense IMO after watching the All22 and focusing on him because after just watching the telecast and seeing the grade I was also caught off guard. It made more sense once I isolated my eyes to him on run plays.

If you told me to give letter grade opinions of my own on him I'd say pressure wise he was a B at worst...run defense he'd be in that C- or D range.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was going to say something similar. We see some of the pop plays but the key is to look at the plays where you didn't notice him. Was he doing his job or was he failing at his job?

Reaction score
I was going to say something similar. We see some of the pop plays but the key is to look at the plays where you didn't notice him. Was he doing his job or was he failing at his job?
I agree those should be factored. But unless a missed assignment causes complete havoc it should not impact the grade that much. He had a TFL and 1.5 Sacks a PF and A TFL is erasing at least 1-2 missed Tackles. His Pass grade should be in the 70’s-80’s. If you get a B+ on 1 of 2 tests how does your overall grade be a F grade?
38.6 is a F way too harsh.

I didn’t watch the entire film but even if Karl scored a F in Run grade which I’m not saying he did? He’s still a 50+ easy maybe dinged heavy he’s a 60

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree those should be factored. But unless a missed assignment causes complete havoc it should not impact the grade that much. He had a TFL and 1.5 Sacks a PF and A TFL is erasing at least 1-2 missed Tackles. His Pass grade should be in the 70’s-80’s. If you get a B+ on 1 of 2 tests how does your overall grade be a F grade?

I didn’t watch the entire film but even if Karl scored a F in Run grade which I’m not saying he did? He’s still a 50+ easy maybe dinged heavy he’s a 60

It's just an example of the limitations of any metric, especially when viewed in one game isolation. Karl is still progressing VERY nicely for a young player...its early but I actually see more progression out of him than Wooden for sure in their second years.

Reaction score
It's just an example of the limitations of any metric, especially when viewed in one game isolation. Karl is still progressing VERY nicely for a young player...its early but I actually see more progression out of him than Wooden for sure in their second years.
Yeah. I think drafted players get dinged pretty good coming out of College due to Conference strength. A particular player might display near all the attributes we prefer, but they aren’t from a Power 5 program. Karl fits that mold also. He was a standout in College, but Conference strength and maybe a little bit of lack of pure higher end athletic traits pushed him down the Draft grading system.
I know Wooden was drafted first, but using hindsight those two really could’ve been reversed in draft order.

We see that all the time. It’s hard to guage that. Jamaal over Aaron Jones
Moore over MVS etc. What’s important to remember is how young both players are. Just opening the 2nd season so lots of room for growth.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Karl Brooks got a 38.6 our worst Defender? I highly disagree. Karl’s name regularly popped while causing all sorts of disruption upfront. Too low

TJ Slaton with a 90? Xavier McKinney was the NFL Defensive Player of the Week. The only way a player should achieve above XM better have at MINIMUM.. multiple Sacks, a Sack Turnover and be near flawless on every play. A 90 grade for me is Elite. You’d better have multiple Game changing plays stacked and I’m not talking a supporting role. Im talking dominating the Players across in obvious fashion. Too High
Often a Player of the Week is determined by one or two big plays unfortunately, rather than consistent, solid play.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Often a Player of the Week is determined by one or two big plays unfortunately, rather than consistent, solid play.

Preston Smith is the epitome of this. Dude is rarely the guy anyone thinks of in any given game as the difference maker but the dude stacks just reliable and consistent great games…

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Karl took 46 "tests" on defense and 2 "tests" on special teams against the Rams. Getting a good grade on one or two tests when you fail the rest.... I'll let you do the math.

Reaction score
Karl took 46 "tests" on defense and 2 "tests" on special teams against the Rams. Getting a good grade on one or two tests when you fail the rest.... I'll let you do the math.
So I went ahead and not only did the math, I watched the entire game. Play by play. I paid special attention to replay each snap Karl played in. Averaging 3-4 revisits to study DL in particular.

Our D allowed 13 points Across 4 Quarters. Karl was a top 5 reason why. Karl had 5 critical plays that resulted in Stops in the Passing game. If he’s not a top 5 grade he’s Top 6 minimum.
The Runs he was involved on his side were minimal. 11 yards was the largest gain and no other Run exceeded 5 yards that he was involved. The bulk were pedestrian 2-4 yard gains.

OS Karl Grade after extensive film study
1 PD, 1 TFL, 3 QB hits 1.5 Sacks (last sack was a game sealer)
Run game 44.5 (I’m being kind to PFF)
Pass game 86.0

Last edited: