2024 3rd round #88 MarShawn Lloyd RB

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with all these points. We have had some good 1-2 punched at RB, but it was most often short lived.

Aaron Jones n Jamaal Williams
Eddie Lacy n Starks n Kuhn
Green n Davenport
Green n Levins n Henderson
Levins n Bennett

We’re talking 5-6 good pairs there when in their prime. We need to nearly go back 35-40 years to find them though. The difference here is we could very well have the deepest RB room in 50+ years.

We now have RB’s who were drafted in Rd1,RD2,RD3 all simultaneously. Any of which could more than fulfill their respective draft expectations. Dillon could come back into 2022 form. Jacobs could get into a 2022 feel. Lloyd could cause some problems for Defenses if underestimated. The RB position is one position that can excel rather quickly in comparison to many other skill areas. We saw examples with Rookie Lacy and Rookie Jamaal and Jacobs etc.

As I’ve said before there is a very realistic chance we could have a good 3-4 year overlap of Jacobs and Lloyd. Plus as I’ve mentioned this RB room is thick. All 4 RB’s Weighing between 220lb and 245lb and thick. When January comes around that becomes a significant factor, especially in less than ideal weather conditions. You can really ground and pound and with those RB options, opposing DC’s really can’t ignore it unless they want to suffer a slow bleed. Our 4th string RB has a promising 26 carries at 4.5 per. Our oldest is 26yrs and still in his prime and has already led the NFL in Rushing once.
Ivery & Ellis.

Brockington & Lane.

Taylor & Hornung.

Reaction score
Ivery & Ellis.

Brockington & Lane.

Taylor & Hornung.
Ivery and Ellis were the first 2
I remember first hand. I remember the end of Brockington’s career I had his Topps football card also. Taylor and Hornung that shows you how far back we need to go just to come close to finding maybe 8 or 9 great RB pairs. Basically 60 years. So we’re talking 1 or maybe 2 pair across a decade.

I really think this RB room can pass several of those what? 9 mentioned spanning 6 decades. I think we’re talking a room that if they play together 3+ years can attain the best 5 pairs potential for sure. We’re spanning ~60 years. Thank You though, adding those kinda solidifies my point. It’s really not common in an average year to have those names at all. This isn’t to disparage some of those pairs, but I see at least 3 of those 9 pairs this group will trip past imo.

If Jacobs/Dillon/Lloyd can attain anywhere close to ceiling? We’re talking in that best 5 RB pairs across over 60 seasons

Last edited:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
That's a shame. The silver lining might be that when he comes back he should be pretty fresh for the rest of the season.

There's always an upside.
Well, he was a 3rd round pick afterall. As was Hopper...enough said, I don't want to jinx either.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do like the elevated move today of Chris but I’d really like to see us scour the PS running backs around the league and sign one to active we liked.

I’m off to scour to report back my feelings or preferences.

Dillon missing too just magnifies this tremendously.

Where is Patrick Taylor at these days…

Reaction score
This doesn’t concern me too much. We have Jacobs and with Wilson in his 2nd season here we are fine. I’m guessing that we are probably doing that out of caution to let both injuries heal up. Rehabbing for a month should do wonders. My bigger concern would’ve been him pulling the same hamstring.

Lloyd showed us in limited snaps how one hole or one gap and he’s gone. He should still likely be available for the second half of the season or sooner. I don’t think Melton’s hold would’ve shortened his 16 yard scamper. So in 7 carries coming off injury he really averaged 4-4.4 per carry if a flag doesn’t come out. Thats against 8 in the box on most plays.

In addition we have Merriweather, who’s been on our PS for a year this Nov 2024. So by now he has familiarity with our playbook concepts etc. plus, who in GB doesn’t like a RB named Ellis. Merriweather Had an adequate Preseason 26/99 in his 2nd season with the Packers

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This doesn’t concern me too much. We have Jacobs and with Wilson in his 2nd season here we are fine. I’m guessing that we are probably doing that out of caution to let both injuries heal up. Rehabbing for a month should do wonders. My bigger concern would’ve been him pulling the same hamstring.

Lloyd showed us in limited snaps how one hole or one gap and he’s gone. He should still likely be available for the second half of the season or sooner. I don’t think Melton’s hold would’ve shortened his 16 yard scamper. So in 7 carries coming off injury he really averaged 4-4.4 per carry if a flag doesn’t come out. Thats against 8 in the box on most plays.

In addition we have Merriweather, who’s been on our PS for a year this Nov 2024. So by now he has familiarity with our playbook concepts etc. plus, who in GB doesn’t like a RB named Ellis. Merriweather Had an adequate Preseason 26/99 in his 2nd season with the Packers
Agreed. And the guy they called up from the PS came from Miami where their RB depth is solid. I'd much rather have a healthy Lloyd than rush him because he was a high pick. Sure it's disappointing, but if you wanna feel good about the Packers injury report, look at the Rams' report. They are missing two starting OL guys and their top two WRs.

Dillon out for the season is, sadly, no great loss. And they must really like this guy from Miami (Brooks?) if they are putting him ahead of Merriweather.

Reaction score
Agreed. And the guy they called up from the PS came from Miami where their RB depth is solid. I'd much rather have a healthy Lloyd than rush him because he was a high pick. Sure it's disappointing, but if you wanna feel good about the Packers injury report, look at the Rams' report. They are missing two starting OL guys and their top two WRs.

Dillon out for the season is, sadly, no great loss. And they must really like this guy from Miami (Brooks?) if they are putting him ahead of Merriweather.
thanks heyJoe I missed that. I guess I’ve been preoccupied lately I’ll have to check him out.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until Gute starts batting around .500 with that pick, I'd say the 3rd round jinx is still there.

LOL To what degree though?

I'd argue if .500 of your guys drafted in the third are in the league beyond their rookie deal that's not a failed prospect....many would strongly disagree and expect a bonafide starter every third round pick...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
LOL To what degree though?

I'd argue if .500 of your guys drafted in the third are in the league beyond their rookie deal that's not a failed prospect....many would strongly disagree and expect a bonafide starter every third round pick...

Last time I looked, half of Gute's 3rd rounds weren't still in the league. Maybe it has changed since?

I also don't consider a 3rd round pick a success if they are a total dud in GB and go somewhere else and have success. While that might prove the scouts right in thinking that player had NFL potential, it opens up a whole can of worms on why he wasn't that in GB, but he was elsewhere. Bad coaching? Poor fit with system? Not motivated? Basically, why couldn't the Packers get that level out of him and if they could have eventually, why wasn't he retained?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2018 - Oren Burks - still in the league.
2019 - Jace Sternberger - playing in other non-NFL leagues at this point now and has been for awhile.
2020 - Josiah Deguara - still in the league...last I knew he was PS for Jaguars now.
2021 - Amari Rodgers - stayed in the league elsewhere until this off season. Not presently signed, playing in UFL.
2022 - Sean Rhyan - actually has somewhat proving to be an NFL rosterable OG at the worst, borderline sufficient starter
2023 - Tucker Kraft
2024 - Lloyd and Hopper

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2019 - Jace Sternberger - playing in other non-NFL leagues at this point now and has been for awhile.
2020 - Josiah Deguara - still in the league...last I knew he was PS for Jaguars now.
2021 - Amari Rodgers - stayed in the league elsewhere until this off season. Not presently signed, playing in UFL.
2022 - Sean Rhyan - actually has somewhat proving to be an NFL rosterable OG at the worst, borderline sufficient starter
2023 - Tucker Kraft
2024 - Lloyd and Hopper
Thanks. I was surprised to see Burks is still around. Interesting stuff.

The third round, for some reason, has not been kind to the Packers over the years. I’m not sure how to measure success either, but have a reasonable expectation that the player will produce.

This is all subjective. I think it’s fair to expect a 3rd round pick will have a good career in the NFL. Whatever that is. It also seems some good to v good players have come from rounds 4-7.

Reaction score
Many factors go into deemed success in Round 3. Consider too that Round 3 can makeup near 40 draftee due to applied compensatory selections.
A player drafted at #65 or #70 (Cooper Beebe or Junior Colson types) over a player drafted at #95 or #100 is often enough to increase their potential markedly.

In the last 16 drafts the Packers have not drafted early (Top 10). We’ve had just 3 draft picks in the top 50% of Round 3 (barely)
0 draft picks in the Top 10 picks of each round or in that value area stated below.
23rd, 32nd, 28th, 26th, 23rd, 21st, 30th, 27th, 29th, 14th, 12th, 30th, 29th, 28th, 15th, 25th

According to Draftnek, a player drafted at #70 overall (240 points) has 2X the value as the prospect drafted at #95 (120 points).

This isn’t to say a good scouting team can’t find value in Round 3, but it’s universally less likely as the Round gets picked over also.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I do like the elevated move today of Chris but I’d really like to see us scour the PS running backs around the league and sign one to active we liked.

I’m off to scour to report back my feelings or preferences.

Dillon missing too just magnifies this tremendously.

Where is Patrick Taylor at these days…
He's on the 49'ers 53 and I believe with CM3 out, the #2 RB.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
2023 - Tucker Kraft
2024 - Lloyd and Hopper
Thanks for looking. Again, if they don't do a whole lot for the Packers, I don't consider it a successful 3rd round pick, even if they become Pro Bowlers with another team.

While we got marginal play out of Burks and Deguara, and very little out of Rodgers and Sterberger, I would consider all 4 bad 3rd round picks, for the Packers.

The 2022-24 are still being evaluated.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for looking. Again, if they don't do a whole lot for the Packers, I don't consider it a successful 3rd round pick, even if they become Pro Bowlers with another team.

While we got marginal play out of Burks and Deguara, and very little out of Rodgers and Sterberger, I would consider all 4 bad 3rd round picks, for the Packers.

The 2022-24 are still being evaluated.

Burks is the only one I’d argue for being a good prospect and pick relatively for expected return of a third.

Reaction score
I’d add Kraft to a success. Started strong for a Rookie getting more of his snaps as the season progressed.
2023 31 X 355 11.5 2TD

2024 4 X 53 13.3
So far pacing 450 yards which is a slight uptick over last year.

Members online