2024 3rd round #88 MarShawn Lloyd RB

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't know but my guess it was a first offer. Aaron had no idea it was the only offer. I don't think he ever expected to play on the then current contract jmho. I think he would have stayed for just a little more than what the vikings paid him. He really is a game buster. Just look at the difference between his yards per carry vs. Jacobs. And not just last year. Aaron broke plays for long runs. That is probably the difference in ypc.

Whatever the case may be with Jones I think Gute did the right thing. He had a backup plan in Jacobs or maybe it was plan A? I believe the Packers improved themselves at RB for 2024 and beyond. I love Aaron Jones, but like most RB's he might be on the back half of his back 9.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever the case may be with Jones I think Gute did the right thing. He had a backup plan in Jacobs or maybe it was plan A? I believe the Packers improved themselves at RB for 2024 and beyond. I love Aaron Jones, but like most RB's he might be on the back half of his back 9.
I am not unhappy with our RB room. We look good. And maybe Lloyd will be the guy to break long runs. Or for that matter Wilson. I'm higher on him than most and think he will be number 3 to start out. Hopefully Dillon works out as the blocking back. He is not, imo, a short yardage back unless the O line gets really good pushes. That will be Jacobs.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hopefully Dillon works out as the blocking back.

Anyone have any #'s on how many times he was out there with another back, to block? I guess I don't view any of the Packer RB's as "blocking backs", unless you are implying that they are being kept behind the LOS to block on passing downs.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone have any #'s on how many times he was out there with another back, to block? I guess I don't view any of the Packer RB's as "blocking backs", unless you are implying that they are being kept behind the LOS to block on passing downs.
PFF claimed that in 2023 Dillon was in for 289 pass snaps with 60 of those where he received a pass blocking grade on meaning he stayed in either by design to block or he read the defense and had to block on a "audible". As a pass blocker he is arguably quite decent and his slighter build from rumors is only going to help I'd expect as he was already a fairly agile man for his size.

He's graded out what I would call solid, not amazing but solid as a pass blocker over the years as a back.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
PFF claimed that in 2023 Dillon was in for 289 pass snaps with 60 of those where he received a pass blocking grade on meaning he stayed in either by design to block or he read the defense and had to block on a "audible". As a pass blocker he is arguably quite decent and his slighter build from rumors is only going to help I'd expect as he was already a fairly agile man for his size.

He's graded out what I would call solid, not amazing but solid as a pass blocker over the years as a back.
Thanks for finding that and reporting it. My question was more aimed at the idea that Dillon will be used as "the blocking back".
Hopefully Dillon works out as the blocking back.

Maybe I read @gopkrs post wrong, but that sounded more like a back blocking for another back. Was Dillon used in that capacity much in years 4 years as a Packer?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People need to get to know Josh Jacobs. He's not the average football player. He's good on the field, but he brings a lot to community as well. That's important in a place like Green Bay, where it isn't a huge population you can hide in.

As good as Jones may have been, I think everyone is going to be awed by what Josh has to offer to be honest. He's going to show a lot of doubters just what he's got to offer.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for finding that and reporting it. My question was more aimed at the idea that Dillon will be used as "the blocking back".

Maybe I read @gopkrs post wrong, but that sounded more like a back blocking for another back. Was Dillon used in that capacity much in years 4 years as a Packer?

I know just from memory typically speaking it seemed quite split when him and Jones were both in that he stayed...I remember one game specifically against Dallas I believe it was there were often seemingly change at the line that switched their calls and Dillon had a short route while Jones stayed in.

Sorry that's all I got there.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People need to get to know Josh Jacobs. He's not the average football player. He's good on the field, but he brings a lot to community as well. That's important in a place like Green Bay, where it isn't a huge population you can hide in.

As good as Jones may have been, I think everyone is going to be awed by what Josh has to offer to be honest. He's going to show a lot of doubters just what he's got to offer.

I argued from the get go we didn't downgrade our RB1 - it was a lateral move at worst.

Jones was a Packer...and the man called Aaron Jones is someone who has made his family and late father immensely proud. Only in the man he is perhaps we downgraded but that is more from a place of ignorance on Jacobs and not merit - all signs are pointing towards Jacobs being a grade A human as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know just from memory typically speaking it seemed quite split when him and Jones were both in that he stayed...I remember one game specifically against Dallas I believe it was there were often seemingly change at the line that switched their calls and Dillon had a short route while Jones stayed in.

Sorry that's all I got there.
Not sure how to explain it, but I will try for the 3rd time.

How often did the Packers have 2 RB's in the backfield, where a run was called and Dillon was used as "The blocking back"?

I am not referring to Dillon's ability as a "pass blocker".

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I was just thinking more as a blocker and a gotcha type of RB on short yardage. The blocking can cover a lot including but not limited to sweeps. What else does an H back do? A few catches. But yes, opening up holes hopefully at the linebacker level is where it could open up for the runner. Not just clogging up the linemen.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m super excited about his running ability but until he improves at pass protection he isn’t seeing the field very much outside of the occasional first down. I also think he’s going to need to learn to run in the zone scheme the packers use since, during his entire college career, he was the worst in this draft class in YPC and PFF grade on zone runs.

I’ll head off the PFF haters by saying i don’t think the grade is accurate from a ranking standpoint but if they watched EVERY running back in division 1 and gave him the worst grade then i can safely assume he’s not a great zone runner (best man/gap scheme runner in the class on those same two metrics though).

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I don't know but my guess it was a first offer. Aaron had no idea it was the only offer. I don't think he ever expected to play on the then current contract jmho. I think he would have stayed for just a little more than what the vikings paid him. He really is a game buster. Just look at the difference between his yards per carry vs. Jacobs. And not just last year. Aaron broke plays for long runs. That is probably the difference in ypc.
I read a few articles about the Jones situation. What all of them similarly said that the Packers did offer him a contract, which was a pretty big pay cut. What I read was that it was around the $7 million mark for one season. That would have been a pretty big hit to his paycheck and it also didn't bring the security of more than one more season in Green Bay. They were trying to get him on the cheap and didn't want to lock up a big contract on a guy turning 30. The running back shelf life in most cases. When Jones turned it down the Packers immediately turned to Jacobs and offered him. I also read that they did Jones a solid by releasing him early. That way he could have a quick turn around and find a new team. Too bad it's with MN. I truly believe they will be trash this season. To me, it seems this scenario makes the most sense as to what happened. $1 million dollars to us is a lot and that is ultimately how much more he got by going to MN.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read a few articles about the Jones situation. What all of them similarly said that the Packers did offer him a contract, which was a pretty big pay cut. What I read was that it was around the $7 million mark for one season. That would have been a pretty big hit to his paycheck and it also didn't bring the security of more than one more season in Green Bay. They were trying to get him on the cheap and didn't want to lock up a big contract on a guy turning 30. The running back shelf life in most cases. When Jones turned it down the Packers immediately turned to Jacobs and offered him. I also read that they did Jones a solid by releasing him early. That way he could have a quick turn around and find a new team. Too bad it's with MN. I truly believe they will be trash this season. To me, it seems this scenario makes the most sense as to what happened. $1 million dollars to us is a lot and that is ultimately how much more he got by going to MN.

I'll always love Aaron Jones. Special player, special person.

That said, I'm excited about what the Packers have in Jacobs and Lloyd. I don't fault Gutekunst for wanting to get younger at the RB position...At some point, those miles catch up with you.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll always love Aaron Jones. Special player, special person.

That said, I'm excited about what the Packers have in Jacobs and Lloyd. I don't fault Gutekunst for wanting to get younger at the RB position...At some point, those miles catch up with you.
And with running backs, it's even more true than with most positions - better to make the tough call a year too early than a year too late. Because when a running drops off the edge of the world, it often happens very, very abruptly. And our offense can not afford to **** away a year of no running game.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And with running backs, it's even more true than with most positions - better to make the tough call a year too early than a year too late. Because when a running drops off the edge of the world, it often happens very, very abruptly. And our offense can not afford to **** away a year of no running game.
Well, that is why they offered a one year contract. Which is what I wanted and what he got from the vikings. Wish he would have understood that and we would have paid him $8M. We'll have to see if Lloyd can be that guy down the stretch run. Lloyd could be a real find. Just don't know yet.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I remember how good James Starks was...Until one day, he wasn't.

Ditto Eddie Lacy.

That said, I would not be at all surprised if Aaron Jones has another good year in him. Maybe even two.

He did miss eight games last year, however. And the effect it had on the offense was readily apparent.

I'm sure this gave Gutekunst a moment of pause...Soi this year, we have younger running backs, and backs not without talent.

I wish Aaron Jones all the best in life, but from a football business perspective, this was the move.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ditto Eddie Lacy.

That said, I would not be at all surprised if Aaron Jones has another good year in him. Maybe even two.

He did miss eight games last year, however. And the effect it had on the offense was readily apparent.

I'm sure this gave Gutekunst a moment of pause...Soi this year, we have younger running backs, and backs not without talent.

I wish Aaron Jones all the best in life, but from a football business perspective, this was the move.

I will go to my grave thinking that Eddie Lacy will be the most forgotten insanely gifted Running Back I tell people about. That man at his size in his prime years was SPECIAL

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will go to my grave thinking that Eddie Lacy will be the most forgotten insanely gifted Running Back I tell people about. That man at his size in his prime years was SPECIAL
He was really good, for a time.

I think we all knew it wasn't going to last that long, but it was special while it did.

If I can go into the Wayback Machine for a second, I would say the same thing about John Brockington.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think we all knew it wasn't going to last that long, but it was special while it did.

If I can go into the Wayback Machine for a second, I would say the same thing about John Brockington.

I feel like Brockington within Packers fans garners more respect than Lacy does even now though. Brockington was awesome!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ditto Eddie Lacy.

Really, James Starks was a good RB and he played great down our stretch run to the Super Bowl. But to compare him to Aaron Jones is a real stretch.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At his size. You mean like fat?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Except John Brockington was a great back. He made something of nothing with a non existent GB passing attack and in general a crappy team.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At his size. You mean like fat?

I know you're trying to be funny but you're illustrating my point. It was during the 2015 season where he started to appear he was adding minimum 10-15 pounds over his combine weight of 231.

I think it is quite funny that people pretend to ignore what Lacy was his first few seasons. He was incredible. I mean on a team with an ELITE many argue best QB at the time on it to still put forth two seasons with 2,317 yards / 4.37 YPC / 20 TDs and toss in don't forget 684 yards more through the air in the passing attack that also gave 4 TDs....

FTR...Dillon weighed 16 pounds more than Lacy out of college. 16 POUNDS. That's a lot and only one inch taller.

Reaction score
Well, that is why they offered a one year contract. Which is what I wanted and what he got from the vikings. Wish he would have understood that and we would have paid him $8M. We'll have to see if Lloyd can be that guy down the stretch run. Lloyd could be a real find. Just don't know yet.
True. Or maybe just met him in the middle at $7.5mil etc.
That said I’m intrigued by our new pairing. We have a more proven veteran presence mixed with an unproven, but dynamic Rookie.

Then as a safety net we have Dillon who has to understand what he does this season will dictate his next few seasons. He has the talent to impact the game again if he gets inspired. Competition with Marshawn will hopefully propel him upwards.

Personally I’m very comfortable with our 2024 RB room. Depending on how quickly Marshawn assimilates to the Pro game, we could very well have a top 3 RB room going into Postseason. God willing IF postseason comes through GB we’d have 3-4 RB’s all built for Cold weather and all weighing 220lb, 223lb, 226lb, 247lb. Thats a load coming at you when the smallest RB you have to wrestle down is 5’9” X 220lb and can bench 225lb 25 reps.

Last edited:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really, James Starks was a good RB and he played great down our stretch run to the Super Bowl. But to compare him to Aaron Jones is a real stretch.

I'm not comparing them in that sense.

I do remember, however, how significant the drop-off was from one season to the next. That is what happens to running backs.