Votes: 27 62.8%

• Total voters
OP
OP
JLW_51

JLW_51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know, but for some reason, people seem interested in a #5 or 6 WR.

D

Deleted member 6794

I know, but for some reason, people seem interested in a #5 or 6 WR.

It should be pretty obvious by now that he will never fully grasp the Packers' playbook to constantly contribute to the team's offense.

OP
OP
JLW_51

JLW_51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would love to know why, for a guy with that speed and build, he should be contributing.

OP
OP
JLW_51

JLW_51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to argue w/that. He needs to keep playing special teams well.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Anyone who follows football has seen countless stories similar to Janis and it usually is the same thing; "a guy who possesses a few physical attributes that should automatically (in some people's eyes) make him a great NFL player." But Janis and the other 1000 or more guys who come along and fail in the NFL are missing certain things to vault them into being a solid player. Whether it's mental, experience, physical, luck or a combination of things, they don't end up being a top pro because of it. This should prove to the average fan, it takes more than a few physical traits or football smarts, to actually be successful in the NFL.

While I wouldn't label a 7th round pick like Janis a failure, I also would say that his past 3 years of trying to play WR at the NFL level has proven that he may never make it in the NFL strictly on those abilities. I am just happy he contributed as a special teams guy. Had it not been for that, no doubt Jeff is already in a new career. I also think his roster spot will only be there if he continues to be better than anyone else on special teams, that the Packers don't view as needed depth at another position.

OP
OP
JLW_51

JLW_51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That will be the key, if he can still play solid on ST, especially as a KR. I am not a fan of Davis and I thought taking Yancey in the 5th was a reach, will be interested in seeing what Dupre does. Seems like 12 doesn't trust him, which hurts his chance for getting on the field.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That will be the key, if he can still play solid on ST, especially as a KR. I am not a fan of Davis and I thought taking Yancey in the 5th was a reach, will be interested in seeing what Dupre does. Seems like 12 doesn't trust him, which hurts his chance for getting on the field.

Agree

I've seen negative comments by people who criticize #12 and his "comfort level" with WR's and that always makes me laugh a bit. I'm sorry, but if Aaron Frickin' Rodgers doesn't think you are ready or just isn't comfortable with you on the field....next. Rodgers has played with dozens of WR's since he has been with the Packers and he has had to work through learning curves and slumps, as they have with his, but it seems pretty obvious that for whatever reason, Janis is not one of those guys that Aaron is comfortable with and unless that changes, he better proves his value as a #1 gunner. Maybe Janis would have better luck as a WR elsewhere, who knows. My guess is that at some point in his career, he will get an opportunity with another team and that it may just happen this year.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a reason that a guy with his speed and size was still available in the seventh round.

Anything Green Bay gets or has gotten out of him is house money. At some point, the clock strikes midnight.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's a former 7th rounder who's main contributions have been on special teams. The clock is ticking on everyone, especially those guys. As soon as someone can replace him on ST, he'll be replaced. It's how it works. It shouldn't be surprising when he's replaced.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
josh jones trying to move the clock forward. lol

Ryan Wood‏
@ByRyanWood

#Packers rookie safety Josh Jones lays a big hit on WR Jeff Janis in pass drills, despite no pads. That's a no-no. Rookie mistake.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
josh jones trying to move the clock forward. lol

Ryan Wood‏
@ByRyanWood

#Packers rookie safety Josh Jones lays a big hit on WR Jeff Janis in pass drills, despite no pads. That's a no-no. Rookie mistake.

Despite that, I like what I am reading out of GB today about Jones.....

"Rookie Josh Jones has already shown a nose for the ball. He just ripped the ball out of Randall Cobb's hands for a pass breakup on a corner route."

"rookie Josh Jones with another breakup, this time an Aaron Rodgers pass intended for Randall Cobb. Kid can run."

"Josh Jones playing ILB breaks up back to back passes to RB Aaron Jones and TE Sandland. Good closing speed for rookie."

Reaction score
It's a rhetorical question. On one hand, His role, like quite a few #6 or #7 WRs is to perform at a high level on ST and be a serviceable backup in an emergency, all the while learning the system. He is in a large grouping of players in this league who are "niche" players.
In the other hand some WRs deep on the depth chart rise to the occasion and become stars. I agree he's not that guy. But also, some go the other direction and are out of the league in a couple years or don't even make roster.
BTW in the event we have forgotten what a dramatic impact our ST can have on a season, revert back to our dismal 2014 ST unit. It may be argued that it even cost us a Championship.
There is a place for specialty players and not every player is going to evolve into a Ty Montgomery. I think GB has been very satisfied with what we've gotten in one of the last picks of the draft.l
There is always a balance with these players and let's face it, they rarely play with the #1 Offense receiver unit.
The fact that he gets double teamed on ST often tells me that other teams understand clearly by film that he is an impact player at one of 3 key phases
As Arizona found out he is not a slouch in a clutch situation even at playoff level football either and if Jeff is ignored with #12 throwing to him he is just good enough to pose problems.
In some ways he is the ideal #6 guy
If I'm looking for a star WR with Offensive stats I'm not looking at Jeff I've got 5 spots up for grabs and another I can stash on my practice squad.
If I've got a Technical Sergeant that doesn't make Officer but he's a hell of a guy on the battlefield and he's not afraid to take a bullet in the heat of a battle, I don't demote him looking for a prospect to be a General. Some guys aren't meant to be Generals.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If I've got a Technical Sergeant that doesn't make Officer but he's a hell of a guy on the battlefield and he's not afraid to take a bullet in the heat of a battle, I don't demote him looking for a prospect to be a General. Some guys aren't meant to be Generals.

Janis may keep being that guy who makes the 53 man squad as a special teamer, but he has to continue to be extra special or he will be replaced by a younger guy who can be just as good or better on special teams as well as someone up n' coming at his position. Janis's 2 hail mary catches against Arizona, while spectacular (by AR too) and entertaining, were never evidence to me that he had finally arrived as a WR. I also didn't see him being all that special on special teams last year. 19.8 yds/return on kickoffs and 7 special teams tackles. Sure he was getting double teamed at times, but in 2015 he averaged 29 yds/kick return and 11 special teams tackles.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as long as janis is the packers best gunner he will have a spot on the 53. look how long jarret bush lasted and i would say janis is a better wr than bush was a db. also i would argue that as a number 5/6 wr janis did contribute in 2016 as he posted 1 td recieving and 1 td rushing. he also provides a wrinkle to the offense defenses have to keep in mind when hes on the field as his 2 rushes came on reverses and went for 19 yards a piece and the one he scored on would have been a td from anywhere on the field. id argue they should give him a few touches a game in positions they know he can suceed. i get that would be somewhat predictable unless he got more playing time but it is what it is he apparently just doesnt get the nuances of route running or being a reciever in general. just watch him track a deep ball ovee his shoulder its the most unatural looking thing i guess that just is what it is.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Despite that, I like what I am reading out of GB today about Jones.....

"Rookie Josh Jones has already shown a nose for the ball. He just ripped the ball out of Randall Cobb's hands for a pass breakup on a corner route."

"rookie Josh Jones with another breakup, this time an Aaron Rodgers pass intended for Randall Cobb. Kid can run."

"Josh Jones playing ILB breaks up back to back passes to RB Aaron Jones and TE Sandland. Good closing speed for rookie."

There was a reason I said he was the best player the Packers drafted. ;)

TT struck gold with this 2nd round pick.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Poor Janis, getting bounced by Rookie Josh Jones. Love the intensity but the kid Jones needs to realize the rules. They were in pads and that happened then no problem, keep killing em Rook. But we need to make sure he knows know the situation and play smart. Or maybe it's the offseason and I'm just looking for something to complain about.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as long as janis is the packers best gunner he will have a spot on the 53. look how long jarret bush lasted and i would say janis is a better wr than bush was a db. also i would argue that as a number 5/6 wr janis did contribute in 2016 as he posted 1 td recieving and 1 td rushing. he also provides a wrinkle to the offense defenses have to keep in mind when hes on the field as his 2 rushes came on reverses and went for 19 yards a piece and the one he scored on would have been a td from anywhere on the field. id argue they should give him a few touches a game in positions they know he can suceed. i get that would be somewhat predictable unless he got more playing time but it is what it is he apparently just doesnt get the nuances of route running or being a reciever in general. just watch him track a deep ball ovee his shoulder its the most unatural looking thing i guess that just is what it is.

Janis wishes he was as good of a WR as Bush was a CB. Not to mention Bush was a STs standout on multiple units and not just one like Janis. Also our depth at CB then wasn't even close to matching our depth at WR.

I get why people want to use the comp but it really doesn't hold up unless it's under the most basic of glances.

He is what he is. A bad WR that plays good in one role with a single STs unit. If a couple of the young guys show promise Janis is out

Members online

Latest posts