Talk of releasing Jones. Sad but true -- adios amigo

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still seeing on several Packers sites on sport spider the now debunked even by Silverstein himself line that the Packers will release Jones if they can't come to a contract restructure. The decline of journalism continues.
Thing is...that is true for every single contract situation.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Search engines need a way for readers to be able to "score" an article from 100 to -100. Then articles can be arranged in searches from highest rated to lowest rated. This will not just help us readers to find more reliable info and posters, but it will tell advertisers who to invest their money in.
But then you get Reddit, where even a very accurate article is furiously downvoted by 50% of the teenagers because it was something they didn't want to hear. Still a very accurate article, but buried in downvotes.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But then you get Reddit, where even a very accurate article is furiously downvoted by 50% of the teenagers because it was something they didn't want to hear. Still a very accurate article, but buried in downvotes.
That really sucks if an accurate article gets downvoted because people don't want to look at a truth. I'm not familiar with this though.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It could be possible that the Packers work the back channels to incentivize a player to sign a deal to avoid getting cut.

I tend to believe that these articles are click-bait more than anything.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus people are far more likely to downvote something they don't like than upvote something they do like.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hate Reddit. Basically twitter anger but with longer messages allowed.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
"Google Buyers Beware" There are very few sites that I visit, including this one and say "well I am going to 100% find the truth here." So I guess it is up to us as consumers of "information" to determine what we believe or don't believe.

The discrepancy in how information is processed, reprocessed and shared, has never been so apparent than what is going on in the political arena right now.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Google Buyers Beware" There are very few sites that I visit, including this one and say "well I am going to 100% find the truth here." So I guess it is up to us as consumers of "information" to determine what we believe or don't believe.
Then we're just back to not needing an upovte/downvote crowdrating system at all.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then we're just back to not needing an upovte/downvote crowdrating system at all.
Why do we need one. You have the whiners and complainers who downvote everything they dont agree with even if it provides 100% factual information. You have the I don't care people who don't vote either way. You have the happy campers who upvote anything simply because it didn't make them mad. You have the contrarians who vote the opposite of what they really feel. Between them all it makes the whole system suspect.

So many sites have taken to removing the downvotes anyway so we cant see how bad the articles are. I will put in my 2 cents occasionally just because it makes me feel a tiny bit better but I don't put much stock in it. I guess I'm like Poker in that I dont really trust other peoples opinion on whether or not the information is good or not

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do we need one.

Yeah, that's exactly my point.

I guess I'm like Poker in that I dont really trust other peoples opinion on whether or not the information is good or not

He's the one who suggested using an upvote/downvote system to help search engines differentiate between reliable and unreliable articles. I was the one who disagreed.

I think you have us mixed up.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, that's exactly my point.

He's the one who suggested using an upvote/downvote system to help search engines differentiate between reliable and unreliable articles. I was the one who disagreed.

Possibly. I knew when I hit send my reply didn't sit quite right with what you said but it was too late. My agreement with him had more to do with making up my own mind on articles and not relying on votes. Hence yours and mine thoughts that they are pretty much worthless.

That really sucks if an accurate article gets downvoted because people don't want to look at a truth. I'm not familiar with this though.
Its one reason many sites have stopped showing downvotes. I think they even had a specific word for it but basically it was just piling on to make yourself think you are cool.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We may all need group therapy to fix this! I'll Google it! :coffee:

The Google Search engine, which is what I use, is a complex thing. While Google tries to simplify it, I think there is more to it than they are wanting us to know. (article below)

I was only suggesting that INSTEAD of just the "up down vote", readers could score an article from 100 to -100. Using a 200 point swing "vote" by readers would just be a factor in how advertisers and users view articles. Call it a readers "trustworthy/impression" or side score of readers. Someone knowledgeable in search engines could come up with a formula on how to use that point system along with how often the article was clicked on, how long it was left open (did they even read it?), etc.

How people use that information, will probably depend on how accurate they find that "score" to be.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We may all need group therapy to fix this! I'll Google it! :coffee:

The Google Search engine, which is what I use, is a complex thing. While Google tries to simplify it, I think there is more to it than they are wanting us to know. (article below)

I was only suggesting that INSTEAD of just the "up down vote", readers could score an article from 100 to -100. Using a 200 point swing "vote" by readers would just be a factor in how advertisers and users view articles. Call it a readers "trustworthy/impression" or side score of readers. Someone knowledgeable in search engines could come up with a formula on how to use that point system along with how often the article was clicked on, how long it was left open (did they even read it?), etc.

How people use that information, will probably depend on how accurate they find that "score" to be.

I think you are asking a lot of us. Like or dislike is hard enough and now you want us to do math.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would prefer Jones to remain with Green Bay, but I can understand that he has a decent shot to get one last sizeable contract.

I'm quite sure most of those teams won't be as good as the Packers but Jones could get a 2-3 year contract and add to his financial legacy.

This upcoming 2024 RB free agent class is deep and so too is the 2024 draft class.

I could see Green Bay grabbing 2 high-end RBs, drafting a couple more with potential, and allocating $$$ to Hadley's defense to support the emergence of Jordan Love's ascension.

However, I think you keep Aaron Jones as a Packer for life, draft Braellon Allen from Wisconsin as the much needed bruiser, and add complementary pieces whether draft, free agency, or practice squad (Kenyan Drake?).

Green Bay has firmly established a new championship window and unlike TT with Rodgers, Gute must "set the table" for the next 3-5 years.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would prefer Jones to remain with Green Bay, but I can understand that he has a decent shot to get one last sizeable contract.

I'm quite sure most of those teams won't be as good as the Packers but Jones could get a 2-3 year contract and add to his financial legacy.

This upcoming 2024 RB free agent class is deep and so too is the 2024 draft class.

I could see Green Bay grabbing 2 high-end RBs, drafting a couple more with potential, and allocating $$$ to Hadley's defense to support the emergence of Jordan Love's ascension.

However, I think you keep Aaron Jones as a Packer for life, draft Braellon Allen from Wisconsin as the much needed bruiser, and add complementary pieces whether draft, free agency, or practice squad (Kenyan Drake?).

Green Bay has firmly established a new championship window and unlike TT with Rodgers, Gute must "set the table" for the next 3-5 years.
I like drafting Allen as the Dillon-back, but still think our higher priority should probably be finding someone who can realistically replace Jones in 25 or so. And I'm not sure Allen is that man.

Reaction score

I would be excited to have Braelon Allen and Aaron Jones. We really do have enough draft picks to draft 2. I still hope Emmanuel Wilson rises some more, I think he could be a good RB3

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe using 'legacy' instead of 'security' or 'caring for his family' alters it a bit, but I continue to believe that, in this case, someone who has made over $30 million doesn't have any reason other than pure greed (maybe, ego) to choose a contract strictly by the bottom line.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe using 'legacy' instead of 'security' or 'caring for his family' alters it a bit, but I continue to believe that, in this case, someone who has made over $30 million doesn't have any reason other than pure greed (maybe, ego) to choose a contract strictly by the bottom line.
There certainly must be some number which would be difficult to refuse. Just don't see it happening. I think we will give him enough. We should anyway. I hope we make it so he plays in GB the rest of his career. That might entail going year to year after this contract which I would guess would be for two years.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You would think so, looking through the same lens that you and I and most other people see the world through, but it so rarely seems to happen. I mean, cripes - how much can you spend???

I know some of them have extended families that they want to help out (parents, siblings, cousins, whatever; plus they want their kids to never have to worry about money) and probably a lot of them come from backgrounds where even an extra $1000 is a huge factor in somene's life, but like you say.... after a certain point, it's meaningless.

I know, they have to pay the agent, there are taxes, their career is short and once the career is over they may never make any real money again, but still... will an extra zero really matter? Unless it's just a matter of "I want more zeros than the other guy"?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There certainly must be some number which would be difficult to refuse. Just don't see it happening. I think we will give him enough. We should anyway. I hope we make it so he plays in GB the rest of his career. That might entail going year to year after this contract which I would guess would be for two years.
if the stories are correct maybe they learned something from the Jordy Nelson situation. Money may not be the most important thing for some of these guys right now but its a two way street. There may be an amount that some team would be willing to cough up that would be difficult to refuse but at the same time too low of an offer by the Packers may be deemed an insult by the player. Just being a Packer great for life may not be enough to accept a minimum deal.

I think they will get a deal done and I think it will be for more than most fans are expecting and more than many may feel is worth.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if the stories are correct maybe they learned something from the Jordy Nelson situation. Money may not be the most important thing for some of these guys right now but its a two way street. There may be an amount that some team would be willing to cough up that would be difficult to refuse but at the same time too low of an offer by the Packers may be deemed an insult by the player. Just being a Packer great for life may not be enough to accept a minimum deal.

I think they will get a deal done and I think it will be for more than most fans are expecting and more than many may feel is worth.
What should they have learned from the Jordy situation? Even in the rear view mirror it looks like it was time. And that could happen with Jones, but his time isn't up yet imho. And any money Aaron gets paid; you have to realize that the bonus money has already been spent and really should not be a part of the negotiations except maybe the year in which it's paid. Which is why I think a two year now and thereafter one year deals. Assuming he is still a good player.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What should they have learned from the Jordy situation? Even in the rear view mirror it looks like it was time. And that could happen with Jones, but his time isn't up yet imho. And any money Aaron gets paid; you have to realize that the bonus money has already been spent and really should not be a part of the negotiations except maybe the year in which it's paid. Which is why I think a two year now and thereafter one year deals. Assuming he is still a good player.
With Jordy, they learned that sometimes it is ok to keep a well liked, respected player, that while at the end of his career, probably would have still been a productive WR for the Packers. I think insulting him with a lowball offer had an effect on guys like Rodgers, Adams and Cobb. I also think having a Vet like Jordy on the team, is a great influence on the younger WR's.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Aaron Jones isn't going anywhere. He has 1 year remaining on his contract and the actual amount that the Packers are paying him for that year is reasonable for both sides, $12M.

All the other talk is sheer fluff. Yes, the Packers would love to rework his deal, keep him another year or 2 after 2024 and push more cap out. Jones wants to stay in GB, but also wants to be paid as a top 10 back. I can't find anything online about him getting a 3/14 roster bonus, so whatever they do with Jones, can wait. I predict they work out a 2 year extension and incentivize it with lots of playing/roster bonuses.