Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody playing in the secondary should be. That is not on Capers. I'm not sure I want to spend a lot of time defending him, because I have never been a huge supporter of his defense, but no defensive strategy can be successful with the guys we have out there. I would like to excuse Thompson and blame injuries, but the reality is that it should have come as no surprise when Shields went down with another concussion. Beyond Shields we had a bunch of young guys. Randall showed some promise, but is a second year player as is Rollins. the guys behind them should never be on the field as starting corners. These facts were known before the season. Thompson rolled the dice and lost. Frankly, with as much talk as has gone into this board about the offense, that is not the problem. The offense is scoring points. The offense may not be perfect, and actually shows signs of anemia at times as well, but they have been fighting through it despite showing signs of a need for an injection of talent at the skill positions (excluding QB). Frankly, I have tried to support Ted Thompson, but I think his ultra conservative approach has finally hit rock bottom.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 words

injuries
injuries
injuries

stop blaming capers you idiots

How bout stop using this stupid injury excuse, this team is getting coached so poorly on defense everyone can see it a mile away. Players keep making mistakes cuz coaches are doing nothing to fix them, especially Capers. He's had some ups and downs here but he's toast now.

Capers has got to go big time.

Atesh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know what I am a guy who is originally from Turkey currently lives in Finland and studying engineering. I didn't sleep tonight and I got a class in one and a half hour. I have been watching this team since 2010 way back when I was freshman in high school. I watched every Packers game whether its too late or something else. But tonight, I was totally embaressed and humiliated. It was like not that afterwards of the Seahawks game it was dissapionment and shock.Frankly, I can not truly believe how those problems have not solved yet maybe since the 2011 season. I am really sorry to say this but I want this team to lose because hopefully some will notice that we are literally wasting prime years of one of the most gifted quarterbacks in the history of this league. Finally , I do not really care who fires who or who hires who but firstly myself and all the Packers fan deserves better than this. Sorry if I had some writing mistakes. Just wanted to write my feelings :D

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would like to excuse Thompson and blame injuries, but the reality is that it should have come as no surprise when Shields went down with another concussion. Beyond Shields we had a bunch of young guys. Randall showed some promise, but is a second year player as is Rollins. the guys behind them should never be on the field as starting corners. These facts were known before the season. Thompson rolled the dice and lost. Frankly, I have tried to support Ted Thompson, but I think his ultra conservative approach has finally hit rock bottom.

Winner, winner Chicken Dinner.

When your #1, #2 and #3 CB's go down.....Houston we have a problem. TT did absolutely nothing to address this while he still had a chance to trade for a legit CB. If the previous games were not enough information as to what happens when you try to rely on inferior talent at CB in the NFL, tonight should have driven that nail home. I put this loss on TT for once again, thinking that every player that he hand picked is good enough to compete in the NFL and that he is too afraid to part with a draft choice to possibly improve the team with a veteran.

Last edited:
Reaction score
One of the eye openers for me was a statistic showing opposing QB ratings for each Defensive Corner the Packers have this year. The best Corner we had held opposing QBs to 112.0 passer rating!!
That was before this debacle that broke a record since 1958 for the most points given up in a 4 game stretch and that was before we gave up another TD.
It's the GM job to acquire talent depth at each position and the D coaches job to make sure that depth is properly trained to adequately step into the limelight or to confront the GM if the depth at a position is compromised
While it is true we have suffered due to unexpected injuries, our lack of experience or talent in the D secondary is a colossal faux pas by the GM because We are not responding to the injury by finding an adequate experienced replacement for the loss of our #1 or #2 Corners..but instead standing idle while the trade deadline passed etc..
And no I'm sorry but I beg to differ! it doesn't take more than a novice to see when we are completely inept in experience behind Shields and that even he can't be relied on to fully recover from a head injury costing 10+ weeks!!
Finally, rolling the dice with 2 Half backs to start the season where 1 has been recently unreliable? Then turning the 3rd RB into a revolving door which turned up empty after 10 weeks of on/off injuries to featured RBs. This year has more than just injuries folks. Great organizations have a contingency plan or 2 and are able to pull out a win here and there.
PS Edit.
Poker. I promise I didn't read your post until I wrote this I swear.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 words

injuries
injuries
injuries

stop blaming capers you idiots
A great coach can overcome injuries by motivating/training his 2nd and 3rd-stringers to perform at a high level, while also adjusting the playbook to reflect the talent level. Capers is essentially the antithesis of what I just typed.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry but I don't agree. I think coaches can make good players great, and below average players better, but talent still trumps all of that, and the Packer's defense currently has very little talent.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry but I don't agree. I think coaches can make good players great, and below average players better, but talent still trumps all of that, and the Packer's defense currently has very little talent.
Talent gets you nowhere if you aren't passionate about your profession. Passion comes both from within and from outward sources...in the NFL it is the job of a coach to instill passion within a player by motivating them. This defense plays like they do not care what the final score is and THAT is a coaching issue.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Talent gets you nowhere if you aren't passionate about your profession. Passion comes both from within and from outward sources...in the NFL it is the job of a coach to instill passion within a player by motivating them. This defense plays like they do not care what the final score is and THAT is a coaching issue.
I know you believe that, but I don't buy it. What I saw on the field was not apathy. Our defensive backs simply do not have the athletism to play against NFL caliber receivers. No amount of coaching can overcome that. Why do you think they are playing so far off the receivers at the snap? It's because they know they can't keep up with them. And even at that they are still getting beat. Unfortunately, talent takes more than one form, and intelligence is part of it. Frankly when I have heard some of our current dbacks interviewed, I have not been inspired with confidence that they have much going on upstairs.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw zone defense, I saw a little man-to-man defense. I saw tighter bump-and-run coverage, I saw near 15 yard reciever cushions given. Throughout it all though I saw bad football.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I see this defense doing is chasing people, we never beat the receivers to the punch. Micha hyde, haha and burnett been playing too long to not notice routes, reading qb drops etc... Ha Ha is always late to the party. Our safties are mediocre and micha hyde is below average hes the aj hawk of the secondary. I dont know if clay is still hurt but man he is giving up on a lot of plays, he was a hi energy player and I havent saw that this year. I kind of feel bad for capers that he has so much mediocre talent to work with.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I see this defense doing is chasing people, we never beat the receivers to the punch. Micha hyde, haha and burnett been playing too long to not notice routes, reading qb drops etc... Ha Ha is always late to the party. Our safties are mediocre and micha hyde is below average hes the aj hawk of the secondary. I dont know if clay is still hurt but man he is giving up on a lot of plays, he was a hi energy player and I havent saw that this year. I kind of feel bad for capers that he has so much mediocre talent to work with.
I was with you until right up to the part about feeling bad for Capers. Lol

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Micah Hyde for all intents and purposes is Jarrett Bush-esque in coverage. Sound tackler, can get away with him at safety but put him on an island and he's BBQ chicken. As for Clay, I am not one to baselessly call out a training staff but I really question how healthy he truly is right now. Contrary to popular belief probably, going into the year he had never missed more than 4 games in a season but has really been banged up late and not looked the same.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As for Clay, I am not one to baselessly call out a training staff but I really question how healthy he truly is right now. Contrary to popular belief probably, going into the year he had never missed more than 4 games in a season but has really been banged up late and not looked the same.

I agree, but Clay is turning into a one trick pony, sack or bust. He seems to be either in a play or completely out of it and lately, when he is playing, out of it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A great coach can overcome injuries by motivating/training his 2nd and 3rd-stringers to perform at a high level, while also adjusting the playbook to reflect the talent level. Capers is essentially the antithesis of what I just typed.
I'm not excusing Capers, how could someone after these past 3 weeks, but there aren't any teams playing this many guys, this deep on the depth chart this often that are winning many games. Our Dline is decent, but they have nothing playing behind them

Rollins at least seems to be close to good position a lot of time. Hyde is an 80's monster ballad always 2 steps behind. They other guys should see 10 snaps or less per game and mostly on special teams yet they're out there every play. Burnett is a decent guy, someone you can put guys around, but surround him with trash and he looks worse. I thought Ha Ha was going to come into his own this year, but he looks to be following the same path as Burnett. It's hard to tell though with so much going on around them. hard to do your job while trying to cover for everyone else too.

They have to figure something else out. You can't keep giving up big play after big play. Keep safeties back, send them on blitzes whatever, it didn't matter. Our defense had zero answers and the one time they did, Daniels gave it right back,

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why play man to man with no safeties to be found in the middle of the field at all??? And keep going to it when you've given up 4 bombs already..which 3 were touchdowns. What was he expecting? I mean you literally saw ilb Thomas get burnt by a slot wr for a long touchdown in the most crucial point of the game. Because he blitzed both safeties!!!! Hello! They couldn't cover alll night!! That was a terrible call! Get his a* out!!

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fire Ted Thompson, the lack of talent on this team can be laid directly at his feet, and let the coaching house of cards fall where they may.

Sky King

Reaction score
Fire Ted Thompson, the lack of talent on this team can be laid directly at his feet, and let the coaching house of cards fall where they may.
That's pretty much it. There's plenty of fault to be found at every level - management, coaching, personnel. But here's one guy who's responsible for it all as the director of football operation. Getting rid of bad coaches and players may be inevitable, but the guy who put them in those positions needs to be held fully accountable.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That's pretty much it. There's plenty of fault to be found at every level - management, coaching, personnel. But here's one guy who's responsible for it all as the director of football operation. Getting rid of bad coaches and players may be inevitable, but the guy who put them in those positions needs to be held fully accountable.
I can see Murphy asking Thompson to step aside a year early (if the original plan was for Thompson to serve through the 17 season?). That would open the door for Wolf to take over next year. I think a move like that makes it highly likely that the entire coaching staff would depart as well. If that were to happen, I think that a lot of veteran players would be traded/released prior to June 1. They've earned it. The veterans on this team have been terrible this year. I would be very unhappy if only Thompson and the coaching staff were to take the fall for this lost season if that indeed is the end result. The on-field veteran leadership and performance has been pathetic.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I can see Murphy asking Thompson to step aside a year early (if the original plan was for Thompson to serve through the 17 season?).

While I don't know if the terms of TT's contract extension were ever revealed, it was speculated that Thompson is extended all the way through the 2018 season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why play man to man with no safeties to be found in the middle of the field at all??? And keep going to it when you've given up 4 bombs already..which 3 were touchdowns. What was he expecting? I mean you literally saw ilb Thomas get burnt by a slot wr for a long touchdown in the most crucial point of the game. Because he blitzed both safeties!!!! Hello! They couldn't cover alll night!! That was a terrible call! Get his a* out!!

He's expecting to get pressure so that his corners don't have to worry about covering for 4 seconds. When all you have healthy is your Dline and outside linebackers, you do that a lot.

The problem was not the blitzes, the problem was that no one beat their man on the blitz and that gave Cousins 3 days to throw 50 yard bombs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online