Defensive Coordinator Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He came up as a LB’s coach on Andy Reid’s Eagles staffs. He was there during that debacle when Reid moved Juan Castillo from OL to defensive coordinator. Bowles was the guy who took over as DC when Castillo inevitably flopped.

Caldwell then followed Bowles to Arizona, New York, and Tampa before the Jags hired him to be their DC. He was in that role the last two seasons and Pederson just canned him. That was ironic because the defense largely kept Jacksonville afloat this last season, but Pederson wasn’t going to fire himself.

So think of a Bowles style defense and you’ve got it. Lots more man coverage than is normal. 4-3 base defense. Emphasis on stopping the run. Lots of pressure.
Thanks Dantes. Good job as always.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The more I think about the potential candidates and the Packers’ personnel, the more I like Mike Caldwell.

There’s been zero smoke around him as far as the Packers are concerned and I don’t think LaFleur has a connection to him. So I doubt it’s a realistic possibility.

But I like the idea because he is both aggressive and more pressure oriented, but not in the Ravens style of 3-4 personnel who can both drop and rush. I think he would give the Packers the shift they need philosophically without requiring an overhaul to the front 7.

He would also bring an edge that they sorely need. He would fix the run defense as well— I have no doubt about that.
So you saw the Pack-a-day podcast too? I came here to mention him.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know too much about him but just because he was not a good HC doesn't mean he couldn't be a good DC. Just my .02
Fair comment. My main problem with Staley is that he runs the same Fangio-based scheme that Barry ran. (Again, Barry is NOT a Fangio disciple. Barry ran the scheme MLF wanted run.)

And, I have a recency bias against Staley. The 60-burger his team gave up to the Raiders was not good. That team gave up on their coach.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Andrew Mertig of Pack-a-Day and Cheesehead TV is saying that Parker has been offered the gig:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One name. Bob Babich out of Buffalo. If he's anything like his Daddy, he'd employ the 4-3 and 3-4 based on the personnel he has, and the need for a defense against each team they played. Young, and would be less likely to try to stick square pegs in round holes, and vice versa.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Andrew Mertig of Pack-a-Day and Cheesehead TV is saying that Parker has been offered the gig:

What is MLF's fascination with Fangio guys?

It's cycling out. Fangio himself got let go. Got hired by the Eagles for their Super Bowl and had the Chefs drop 38 on them.
Now the Eagles hired him after he got fired from the Fins. JB fired. Desai fired. Staley fired.

I swear the Fangio scheme is like Communism. Failed everywhere it's been tried. But, it's still used...

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
What is MLF's fascination with Fangio guys?

It's cycling out. Fangio himself got let go. Got hired by the Eagles for their Super Bowl and had the Chefs drop 38 on them.
Now the Eagles hired him after he got fired from the Fins. JB fired. Desai fired. Staley fired.

I swear the Fangio scheme is like Communism. Failed everywhere it's been tried. But, it's still used...

Fangio did an excellent job in Miami. They agreed to part ways because he wants to be in PA, near family.

I cannot understand your issue with him. He's an elite defensive coach.

That said, Parker has a variety of coaching influences in his background.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Every time I click the link
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I usually see that for deleted tweets.

Weird. I checked right after you posted that it was deleted and again right now and it's still on his timeline. Maybe goes around the long way and open his account and see what you see.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fangio did an excellent job in Miami. They agreed to part ways because he wants to be in PA, near family.

I cannot understand your issue with him. He's an elite defensive coach.

That said, Parker has a variety of coaching influences in his background.

1. The scheme is inherently passive.
2. We just got done with three years of it.
3. IF it works, it's a statistical anomaly. Most teams that reach conference championships have a statistical correlation between league rankings for Defense DVOA versus Defense points per game allowed. Fangio defenses typically rank higher in defensive points allowed than in defensive DVOA, BUT very few teams with such a variance make divisional playoffs.

By the way, this year, of the four teams left, only one has rankings in the two stat categories that don't correlate: The Lions.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
1. The scheme is inherently passive.
2. We just got done with three years of it.
3. IF it works, it's a statistical anomaly. Most teams that reach conference championships have a statistical correlation between league rankings for Defense DVOA versus Defense points per game allowed. Fangio defenses typically rank higher in defensive points allowed than in defensive DVOA, BUT very few teams with such a variance make divisional playoffs.

By the way, this year, of the four teams left, only one has rankings in the two stat categories that don't correlate: The Lions.

1. That's a misconception. For starters, the 2 high shell things is a relatively recent iteration of Fangio's defenses. As I've said before, he has a long track record of success in the NFL and his defenses have not always looked the same. Secondly, people think that a 2 high shell means that you always play an umbrella coverage with light boxes, but that isn't true. The shell is just the pre-snap look you present to the offense. Post-snap, these defenses can flex into a huge variety of looks. That's the whole point. Pro Football Reference has the Dolphins at 27.7% pressure this last season, which is 3rd.

2. If you watch what Fangio's defenses have been doing in recent seasons and compare it to Barry's, it wouldn't bear a lot of resemblance. Barry's problem was most implementation, adjustment, and play-calling. He was trying to operate a defense that he had all of one season's worth of experience with.

3. I think that's quite a reach. I don't pay for FO's DVOA rankings so I can't really interact with the claim.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The least amount of experience of any of the candidates. There are players older than he is. They know him very well. I like that he came up through the analysis career ladder.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The least amount of experience of any of the candidates. There are players older than he is. They know him very well. I like that he came up through the analysis career ladder.

I can’t believe it’s to the point now that there are coordinators younger than me.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Last hiring cycle, LaFleur chose a veteran guy with a spotty track record over a young, rising position coach with no coordinator experience.

I’m sure he regretted it often. Seems he’s intent to go the other way this time. Hopefully Parker will prove as capable as Evero has.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry all. The guy on Twitter who said it was accepted took it down. He still maintains an offer was extended.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm starting to think we should hire a DC that can stop our offense. After we get a stronger O line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.