Cowboy studs n duds...kicker doesn't count

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Cowboys M.O at home all season has been to jump on teams early by a couple scores, then unleash their pass rush. They were the best front running team in the league. But, to quote Mike Tyson, "everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth". That's what the Packers did when they went right down the field on the opening drive. That rattled the Cowboys confidence and Dak started to play tentatively. Two INT'S later it's 27-0. Living in Texas, I see the Cowboys alot. Despite all the talent they have, they lack mental toughness.

I have to give a stud to every player. This was a total team effort in all 3 phases. The only duds were the injuries to Alexander, Mcduffie and Enagbare (who is probably done for the year). Keep Alexander in the training room all week and rehab that ankle.

Right now, the Packers are capable of beating any team. The 49ers are a different animal and present a far more formidable challenge. But the way they are playing, to quote Kevin Garnett, "Anything's possible!".

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get what you are saying Pugger but I will say that it is kind of nice to see Love actually snapping the ball and not taking a time out. In a way that takes away some of the advantage the defense has because in the olden days when certain QBs would take a time out the defense knew all they had to do was not jump offsides. When you are thinking about not jumping offsides you might be just a tiny bit hesitant and be caught a bit unaware if the ball is actually snapped. If the defense is convinced you are trying to draw them offsides maybe the best thing to do would be to actually snap the ball and run a play.

Although I am generally in favor of the QB using every second to gain an advantage (something Rodgers was an expert at and Love seems to be doing a pretty good job of as well) what I would like to see occasionally is Love going to the line with 7 or 8 seconds left on the play clock and snapping the ball immediately. That would keep the defense guessing.
Several people have made good points on the +s and -s of bleeding the clock. Just watching love closely yesterday I felt he had a close eye on that clock all the time and did a masterful job of burning as many seconds as possible while still keeping us moving down the field.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is news to me. I've never heard anyone say that Zach Tom needed to be dumped.
When he was used at left tackle, where he was totally out of place, they were calling him a bum. Admittedly, he was horrible over there, but he lacked the training to be there which made it worse. People don't understand that even offensive line positions are each different. The whole scenario of how you play the position is reversed from one side to the other.

Yes. A lot of people were down on him. Especially those who have never been inside the game. Patience is needed just like for every other position.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Cowboys ran 89 plays to the Packers 54. But only 2:30 advantage in time of possession. So running down the play clock was a good tactic. I don't recall any delay of game calls or timeouts called. So it worked.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Furthermore, the reason he looked a little weak out there in 2022 was because it was his first year, and they were moving him around to fill needs. Now he has a spot. He looks like he's gonna stay there for a long time.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes and no. If injuries or development is slowing a team down, then you probably play the season out and hope for getting healthy, better and sneak into the playoffs. One thing that changed my mind this season, was the way they came out and played against the Lions (2nd game) and the Chiefs. The improvement and development was becoming very obvious. So even after those 2 games and the poorly played losses to the Giants and the Bucs, this team was getting better and healthier.

Last year was a good example of a team that just didn't look like they were developing. Sure they won 4 of their last 5, but I don't remember them looking like world beaters in doing it (except maybe the Queens game).

All that said, you are right, it isn't over until a team is mathematically eliminated and this team is a good example of why you don't quit. So I will try to keep that in mind when Love is 35 and the season is looking to be over. ;)
I know the packers have had an up and down season and that travesty vs Tampa bay really put a damper on my outlook. However I've always subscribed to the belief that teams who are playing well at the end of the season have the best chance of making a deep run. Those last few seasonal games the packers played showed me they were turning upward and playing some of their best football.
I know the seasonal stats Will show we don't have a chance vs SF, but I have faith this team is blossoming into a powerhouse. The 49rs knocked us out a few years back, so this would be a good time to return the favor.
Our offense is not built like most other teams with one "go to guy", and then a bunch of other guys.. We have many go to guys, popping out of the woodwork, Anyone of which can make big plays. An opponent won't be able to cover everyone of them all the time.
So let's give the 49rs hell.....

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I know the packers have had an up and down season and that travesty vs Tampa bay really put a damper on my outlook. However I've always subscribed to the belief that teams who are playing well at the end of the season have the best chance of making a deep run. Those last few seasonal games the packers played showed me they were turning upward and playing some of their best football.
I know the seasonal stats Will show we don't have a chance vs SF, but I have faith this team is blossoming into a powerhouse. The 49rs knocked us out a few years back, so this would be a good time to return the favor.
Our offense is not built like most other teams with one "go to guy", and then a bunch of other guys.. We have many go to guys, popping out of the woodwork, Anyone of which can make big plays. An opponent won't be able to cover everyone of them all the time.
I'm a little circumspect about this game because I feel (same as I felt about Pittsburgh) that we probably can't match San Francisco's physicality. They have better playmakers on offense than Dallas did, and a more reliable QB and most certainly are better coached than Dallas imo.

However, I am heartened by the fact that they did not play their best ball in the last month and have been sitting around watching, instead of playing.

Psychologically, I think we have the advantage. The pressure is on them, not us. Our kids believe they belong, records and stats and visuals be damned.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a little circumspect about this game because I feel (same as I felt about Pittsburgh) that we probably can't match San Francisco's physicality. They have better playmakers on offense than Dallas did, and a more reliable QB and most certainly are better coached than Dallas imo.

However, I am heartened by the fact that they did not play their best ball in the last month and have been sitting around watching, instead of playing.

Psychologically, I think we have the advantage. The pressure is on them, not us. Our kids believe they belong, records and stats and visuals be damned.
A good post....I don't have stats to backup what I am going to say but after watching football for many years my gut says teams that don't play for a while don't do well coming back. They seem to lose their edge, get out of the weekly rhythm , and usually come out flat.
I'll take the team that is constantly going on all cylinders every week, over the well rested team.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What the actual h e ll

All are studs
Studs: Keisean, Jaire, Savage, Aaron Jones; Love, Doubs

Iron Man:
Jonathan Owens played 108 snaps (90 defense, 18 special teams)

Duds:
Josiah DeGuara - Q3 7:40 left - Long pass play to Doubs down to the DAL 18.
Parsons was lined up at right edge, across from DeGuara. At the snap, Parsons flies around DeGuara forcing Love to dump off early, but successfully for a nice chunk play to Doubs. Meanwhile, Parsons let up a shade on his rush, but launched himself and made helmet-to-helmet contact with Love. Game replay shows an official watching the whole thing and no flag for helmet-to-helmet. Bullet avoided, but the whiff by DeGuara reminded me of a similar whiff he made when an opposing player got around him to block an extra point attempt earlier in the season.

Kenny Clark - Q3 12:00 left, on 3rd and 2, Prescott has nowhere to go and kind of half-slides awkwardly into Kenny Clark. Clark's hand is right at Dak's facemask and he grabs the facemask and starts to turn Dak's head. 15 yard personal foul for facemask allows Dallas to continue the drive.

Reaction score
Man, everyone's a stud, but raise one to the O line. NO sacks. Some of that is Love's incredible presence of mind, but....damn. Was it Zach Tom on Parsons most of the time?
Amen. The OL has silently become one of the best in the league. Maybe not best in 1 category? However our OL has elevated into a very good level in several area. Particularly in limiting Sacks, in Pass Protect and Run blocking. Even Myers was fighting his B utt off after a few pedestrian showings where he’d let a stunt come free recently. Myers had several key blocks for Jones and had one of his better performances here. It makes a difference when the Center is having a good day.
Love should be in the MVP conversation. Not that I care. But who has now been more valuable to his team? Maybe the guy in Houston.
I was about to mention this last week, but I didn’t want to put that curse on him pre-game. Let’s talk about it after we Win next week though :coffee: If he’s over a 100 rating again and we God Willing, we can beat SF? He’d HAVE to be a front runner. I’m not sure how many 1st year starting QB’s have bested a #1 and #2 seed in consecutive fashion on the road??
but what’s impressive is Jordan will have a realistic chance this Saturday.
Agree and that bodes well for just how balanced of attack and weapons that the Packers have.
That’s the thing. We’ve had multiple different players with over 100 yards All Purpose down the stretch. Balance is ideal for many reasons but in postseason the ones that come to mind are injury insurance and difficulty in game planning. I could tell Dallas attempted to stress Reed Sunday at or proved to be futile.
There were mentions of the O-line blocking well, but let’s credit everyone involved. The O-line, tight ends, and RBs did a great job of protecting the QB.
I’m not sure if you guys noticed. However we several holding calls on Parsons. However that strategy proved worthy. Would we rather allow an easy Sack or 10 yard holding? Here it was hold him. The bi product is it frustrated the heck out of Parsons. Jenkins literally tackled Micah which was funny to me. It was the smartest -10 this year. That guy never does that it was clear to me what the failsafe plan was. Do not let Parsons get by us quickly at any cost.
Brilliant as it probably saved at least 1+ Sack and that in turn gave Jordan confidence to discern and dissect their D.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was about to mention this last week, but I didn’t want to put that curse on him pre-game. Let’s talk about it after we Win next week though :coffee: If he’s over a 100 rating again and we God Willing, we can beat SF? He’d HAVE to be a front runner. I’m not sure how many 1st year starting QB’s have bested a #1 and #2 seed in consecutive fashion on the road??
but what’s impressive is Jordan will have a realistic chance this

MVP is for the regular season only. That ship has sailed this year.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Savage has stepped up his game. Not just the int. He has been tackling very well.
Not saying you are a stan. IMO, we should all be required to put in our descriptions if we are a stan for someone. For purposes of this post, I make it clear I'm a Savage stan. (Also a Dillon stan. Get better, big man.)

I agree with Paul Bretl (Packerswire) that Savage acts as a QB for the DBs, facilitating communication, etc. He got injured in the Giants game and didn't play at all against the Bucs and Panthers. I don't think it's a coincidence the defense has stepped it up since he returned vs the Vikings.

This week, Savage had a great PFF grade, but he's had weeks that weren't so good, and while the Packers would win, his individual tackling and coverage grades were mediocre or worse. I do think he brings an intangible that PFF can't detect in his play, but shows up in the play of the other DBs.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When he was used at left tackle, where he was totally out of place, they were calling him a bum. Admittedly, he was horrible over there, but he lacked the training to be there which made it worse. People don't understand that even offensive line positions are each different. The whole scenario of how you play the position is reversed from one side to the other.

Yes. A lot of people were down on him. Especially those who have never been inside the game. Patience is needed just like for every other position.
Just not true. When he played a couple games at L tackle last year; he played very well. I do think R tackle is his spot though.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should all be required to put in our descriptions if we are a stan for someone. I am a Savage stan and a Dillon stan.

I agree with Paul Bretl (Packerswire) that Savage acts as a QB for the DBs, facilitating communication, etc. He got injured in the Giants game and didn't play at all against the Bucs and Panthers. I don't think it's a coincidence the defense has stepped it up since he returned vs the Vikings.

This week, Savage had a great PFF grade, but he's had weeks that weren't so good, and while the Packers would win, his individual tackling and coverage grades were mediocre or worse. I do think he brings an intangible that PFF can't detect in his play, but shows up in the play of the other DBs.
For the record. I'm not a stan, if that means he's like one of my favorite players. In fact I have not been impressed with him until recently. But the last few games he is bringing the wood. And that was really a great int. After watching the replay; I saw he was going with another receiver in the same area and suddenly switched to make a great play. Probably what Zak was seeing also.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the record. I'm not a stan, if that means he's like one of my favorite players. In fact I have not been impressed with him until recently. But the last few games he is bringing the wood. And that was really a great int. After watching the replay; I saw he was going with another receiver in the same area and suddenly switched to make a great play. Probably what Zak was seeing also.
I AM SORRY. I didn't mean to imply you were a stan for anyone. I was trying to make sure people knew I am a Savage stan. Big time. My fault.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mentioned it last week, but this game was totally reminding me of the Packers @ Atlanta game in the 2010 Season. Few were giving the Packers a chance to go in and beat the #1 Seeded Falcons. When Savage returned that interception for 6, oh the flashbacks!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
That's exactly what it felt like!!

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Uhhhhh...... I think you might be jumping the gun a bit.
3 years riding the pine 1st playoff big win has look impressive this season, I would say if his play continues on a positive track, the HOF is in site for him, unless! The injury bug deals him a bad hand..

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watson had 1 catch and Reed had zero..it is AMAZING that they can play that well when their top guy has 0 catches..and their supposed to be top guy has 1 catch..yet..they score 41 points!!

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watson had 1 catch and Reed had zero..it is AMAZING that they can play that well when their top guy has 0 catches..and their supposed to be top guy has 1 catch..yet..they score 41 points!! Wha
Amen. The OL has silently become one of the best in the league. Maybe not best in 1 category? However our OL has elevated into a very good level in several area. Particularly in limiting Sacks, in Pass Protect and Run blocking. Even Myers was fighting his B utt off after a few pedestrian showings where he’d let a stunt come free recently. Myers had several key blocks for Jones and had one of his better performances here. It makes a difference when the Center is having a good day.

but what’s impressive is Jordan will have a realistic chance this Saturday.

That’s the thing. We’ve had multiple different players with over 100 yards All Purpose down the stretch. Balance is ideal for many reasons but in postseason the ones that come to mind are injury insurance and difficulty in game planning. I could tell Dallas attempted to stress Reed Sunday at or proved to be futile.

I’m not sure if you guys noticed. However we several holding calls on Parsons. However that strategy proved worthy. Would we rather allow an easy Sack or 10 yard holding? Here it was hold him. The bi product is it frustrated the heck out of Parsons. Jenkins literally tackled Micah which was funny to me. It was the smartest -10 this year. That guy never does that it was clear to me what the failsafe plan was. Do not let Parsons get by us quickly at any cost.
Brilliant as it probably saved at least 1+ Sack and that in turn gave Jordan confidence to discern and dissect their D.
Dallas got away with several holding calls..one where Preston was damn near put in a headlock!! The refs weren't terrible, just missed some pretty obvious ones on the cowgirls.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Watson had 1 catch and Reed had zero..it is AMAZING that they can play that well when their top guy has 0 catches..and their supposed to be top guy has 1 catch..yet..they score 41 points!! Wha

Dallas got away with several holding calls..one where Preston was damn near put in a headlock!! The refs weren't terrible, just missed some pretty obvious ones on the cowgirls.
Every game refs miss calls

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Studs: Keisean, Jaire, Savage, Aaron Jones; Love, Doubs

Iron Man:
Jonathan Owens played 108 snaps (90 defense, 18 special teams)

Duds:
Josiah DeGuara - Q3 7:40 left - Long pass play to Doubs down to the DAL 18.
Parsons was lined up at right edge, across from DeGuara. At the snap, Parsons flies around DeGuara forcing Love to dump off early, but successfully for a nice chunk play to Doubs. Meanwhile, Parsons let up a shade on his rush, but launched himself and made helmet-to-helmet contact with Love. Game replay shows an official watching the whole thing and no flag for helmet-to-helmet. Bullet avoided, but the whiff by DeGuara reminded me of a similar whiff he made when an opposing player got around him to block an extra point attempt earlier in the season.

Kenny Clark - Q3 12:00 left, on 3rd and 2, Prescott has nowhere to go and kind of half-slides awkwardly into Kenny Clark. Clark's hand is right at Dak's facemask and he grabs the facemask and starts to turn Dak's head. 15 yard personal foul for facemask allows Dallas to continue the drive.
Going to be this nit picky?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
3 years riding the pine 1st playoff big win has look impressive this season, I would say if his play continues on a positive track, the HOF is in site for him, unless! The injury bug deals him a bad hand..
Something to maybe discuss in 5 years.