Backed Into A Corner?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starting another general manager thread is like starting a Ford vs Chevy debate or a 'which-oil-should-I-use' thread on just about any powersports forum. However, I was just listening to the Packers Unscripted podcast and they mentioned something that caught my attention. While talking about our need for another safety, they mentioned that there are still FA safeties available and that most of the safeties in the draft are slotted for the very end of the 1st round or later, where we have plenty of draft picks.

Then they said it. 'So far, Gutekunst hasn't backed himself into a corner.' There is no position where they HAVE to draft a guy with the first pick. For contrast, just look at our purple friends to the west who must draft a QB in the first round.

The Packers have gaps for sure, but we have lots of options and opportunities. Our season doesn't hinge on nailing a draft pick or else. Gutenkunst has done a good job of finding players so that we aren't in desperate positions.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thought process all along has been Best player/prospect available at 25. I do feel they need to cover S-LB-OL-CB within their 1st 5 picks. In my perfect world pick 25 is one of those 4 positions. That way it becomes BPA at 41. So on & so on.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starting another general manager thread is like starting a Ford vs Chevy debate or a 'which-oil-should-I-use' thread on just about any powersports forum. However, I was just listening to the Packers Unscripted podcast and they mentioned something that caught my attention. While talking about our need for another safety, they mentioned that there are still FA safeties available and that most of the safeties in the draft are slotted for the very end of the 1st round or later, where we have plenty of draft picks.

Then they said it. 'So far, Gutekunst hasn't backed himself into a corner.' There is no position where they HAVE to draft a guy with the first pick. For contrast, just look at our purple friends to the west who must draft a QB in the first round.

The Packers have gaps for sure, but we have lots of options and opportunities. Our season doesn't hinge on nailing a draft pick or else. Gutenkunst has done a good job of finding players so that we aren't in desperate positions.
Two things imho. They need interior O line and backups for O line. And I think Sam Darnold is going to be surprisingly good if they can protect him.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two things imho. They need interior O line and backups for O line. And I think Sam Darnold is going to be surprisingly good if they can protect him.
Sam Darnold hasn't been even mediocre, ever. The Vikes OL can't protect anyone, evidenced by Cousins being the most -hit QB in '22 (it seems. I didn't actually look it up, yet).

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that with a decent O-Line Darnold could be semi-successful. JJeff, Addison and Hock is a nice group to throw to.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sam Darnold hasn't been even mediocre, ever. The Vikes OL can't protect anyone, evidenced by Cousins being the most -hit QB in '22 (it seems. I didn't actually look it up, yet).

Darnold will benefit some from having Jefferson & Hockenson to throw to, but he is at most the third best quarterback in this division, and possibly the fourth depending on how quickly Caleb Williams develops in Chicago.

The Lions are the team to worry about, IMHO.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hockinson tore his knee only four months ago. There is near zero chance that he will even play until at least the second half of the season, if at all in 2024. Cousins was a good QB with the Vikings offensive assets (including Hockinson) but not an effective winner. Darnold will struggle mightily as he is a vastly inferior QB to Kirk Cousins, won't have Hockinson for most of the year, and the Vikings have no RBs.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How quick we have lost faith in Aaron Jones. IMO Hockenson will start the season on the PUP list and return to play either week 7 or 8.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hockinson tore his knee only four months ago. There is near zero chance that he will even play until at least the second half of the season, if at all in 2024. Cousins was a good QB with the Vikings offensive assets (including Hockinson) but not an effective winner. Darnold will struggle mightily as he is a vastly inferior QB to Kirk Cousins, won't have Hockinson for most of the year, and the Vikings have no RBs.
Oops, they now have Aaron Jones.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

#33 is a pretty good RB.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Very true. Things are looking very good and there is still 4 months after the draft to find any remaining pieces to complete the puzzle.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He really has done a good job of maintaining talent levels across all scrimmage positions. I think the key this season will be to maintain a manageable level of injuries this year. We just always seemed banged up comparative to other teams.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Gute has turned into a real draft day guru. I think we will know this year with this crop of rookies. Because I don't think he deserves that title yet.

Members online

Latest posts