At pick #30 corner a must!

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just curious, who does this help? I mean, besides your sense of superiority?

Wow, that's a reach. So like every single person that evaluates college players for a living has Leonard Williams as the most surefire talent in this year's draft and Anderson as a middle rounder. Yet you insist Anderson is as good or better contrary to what all of the experts say. Yet... *I* am somehow the one with a superiority complex. Yeah, okay.

Last edited:

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whoa, didn't even see it did a triple. My bad. Edit feature is hard :cautious:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Look, I've got no vested interest in the guy personally. My question is why Leonard Williams is a top 3 player and Henry Anderson isn't even top 60. People say he lacks strength but his broad jump (explosion) was better than Williams', 3 cone drill was better than Williams', 20 yard shuttle was better than Williams' and his 10 yard dash was better than Williams' (please don't talk about 40s for dlinemen, how many times do you see a dline guy running 40 yards?). About the only "measurable" that Williams' beat Anderson in is arm length (and I still haven't heard any NFL dlinemen ever say that bench press is a core workout for them).

The two players played the same opponents and yet, against Power 5 teams, Henry Anderson was the best in this draft class (among interior dlinemen) at generating pressure on the passer and Leonard Williams was 30th. Williams was the best run stopper but you don't draft a guy in the top-5 to be a great run stopper. Anderson tests as being more explosive, more agile and better at changing directions and Anderson was more productive on the field (something that supposedly counts). Yet everyone loves Williams because of his potential or "upside".

Guys get drafted in the fourth round because they can play the run. Guys get drafted earlier because they can rush the passer. I would argue that it's much easier to teach a guy to defend the run than it is to teach him to rush the passer. Coming out of college, based solely on the field, Anderson is the much better pass rusher and Williams the better run defender (and before someone mentions something silly like Michael Sam, Anderson actually tested better than Williams while Sam bombed in workouts).

Just because Anderson had more sacks than Williams doesn´t mean has a better pass rusher. The Packers ask their defensive ends to mostly play the run in the base defense, which Anderson isn´t good at. He´s not strong enough to play inside in sub packages, so I really have no idea why he would be a good fit for the Packers 3-4 defense.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just because Anderson had more sacks than Williams doesn´t mean has a better pass rusher. The Packers ask their defensive ends to mostly play the run in the base defense, which Anderson isn´t good at. He´s not strong enough to play inside in sub packages, so I really have no idea why he would be a good fit for the Packers 3-4 defense.

Like I said, I've no personal interest. I was only curious about the disparity in draft outlook. I didn't think the ability to play the run was the difference between a first and third rounder. Also, I wasn't just looking at sacks. College Football Focus looked at total pass rushing plays and how many pressures generated per pass rush; Anderson was the best at generating pressure per pass rush (against Power 5 opponents).

H

HardRightEdge

Look, I've got no vested interest in the guy personally. My question is why Leonard Williams is a top 3 player and Henry Anderson isn't even top 60. People say he lacks strength but his broad jump (explosion) was better than Williams', 3 cone drill was better than Williams', 20 yard shuttle was better than Williams' and his 10 yard dash was better than Williams' (please don't talk about 40s for dlinemen, how many times do you see a dline guy running 40 yards?). About the only "measurable" that Williams' beat Anderson in is arm length (and I still haven't heard any NFL dlinemen ever say that bench press is a core workout for them).

The two players played the same opponents and yet, against Power 5 teams, Henry Anderson was the best in this draft class (among interior dlinemen) at generating pressure on the passer and Leonard Williams was 30th. Williams was the best run stopper but you don't draft a guy in the top-5 to be a great run stopper. Anderson tests as being more explosive, more agile and better at changing directions and Anderson was more productive on the field (something that supposedly counts). Yet everyone loves Williams because of his potential or "upside".

Guys get drafted in the fourth round because they can play the run. Guys get drafted earlier because they can rush the passer. I would argue that it's much easier to teach a guy to defend the run than it is to teach him to rush the passer. Coming out of college, based solely on the field, Anderson is the much better pass rusher and Williams the better run defender (and before someone mentions something silly like Michael Sam, Anderson actually tested better than Williams while Sam bombed in workouts).
I can't comment on Williams because he's so far out of the Packers reach I've had no reason to look at him. He could be mistakenly overrated...I could not say.

D

Deleted member 6794

Like I said, I've no personal interest. I was only curious about the disparity in draft outlook. I didn't think the ability to play the run was the difference between a first and third rounder. Also, I wasn't just looking at sacks. College Football Focus looked at total pass rushing plays and how many pressures generated per pass rush; Anderson was the best at generating pressure per pass rush (against Power 5 opponents).

There´s no denying Anderson was productive rushing the passer last season but I´m not convinced that success will continue at the pro level. Sometimes numbers like that don´t paint an objective Picture of a prospect´s talent (just remember that Michael Sam had more sacks than Aaron Donald during their Senior seasons).

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not sure this is the proper place to put this, but when you look back at the last 10 years of the draft, it really is amazing how few of our drafted players still remain. Goes to show you there is more to this game then just "draft and develop"

Guessing our stats are similar to other teams? Although you always hear announcers say the Packers lead the league in guys who have never played for another team.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/draft.htm

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There´s no denying Anderson was productive rushing the passer last season but I´m not convinced that success will continue at the pro level. Sometimes numbers like that don´t paint an objective Picture of a prospect´s talent (just remember that Michael Sam had more sacks than Aaron Donald during their Senior seasons).

I mentioned in another post but the Michael Sam comparison isn't even close. Sam bombed in testing. Anderson was about even with Williams.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rollins has only played football for a single season and while putting up impressive numbers in 2014 hasn't faced elite competition with Miami (Ohio).

He's a talented guy but I think he would be a risky selection and it would probably take him some time to have an impact in the league.

This.

D

Deleted member 6794

I mentioned in another post but the Michael Sam comparison isn't even close. Sam bombed in testing. Anderson was about even with Williams.

I don't deny Anderson is a more talented prospect than Sam but he's not in the same ballpark as Williams.

My main concern with Anderson is his strength. He only had 23 bench presses at his pro day which would have ranked 26th at the position out of 37 DL at the combine. While it's not a perfect measurement it shows some lack of strength.

Sky King

Reaction score
Last year at this time many on this forum had their eye on that fellow from Europe who was a big, fast and strong DE who needed more experience and coaching. I cannot even remember his name anymore but I think Cincy grabbed him somewhat early. Anderson seems like he could be this year's version. This is not an indictment of either player's talents. Just that this type of player seems to be there for the taking every year. Day 3 pick?

D

Deleted member 6794

Last year at this time many on this forum had their eye on that fellow from Europe who was a big, fast and strong DE who needed more experience and coaching. I cannot even remember his name anymore but I think Cincy grabbed him somewhat early. Anderson seems like he could be this year's version. This is not an indictment of either player's talents. Just that this type of player seems to be there for the taking every year. Day 3 pick?

I think you're talking about Margus Hunt. He didn't even play 200 snaps during the regular season as a rookie in 2014.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't agree with Barnwell that CB is our biggest need.

He did mention ILB as a need but, correctly, mentioned that ILB isn't generally seen as a premium position in the NFL; I don't mean that teams don't care about ILBs, just that ILBs don't tend to go in the first round unless they're VERY good ILB prospects and there are more flaws with the higher rated ILBs in this draft than in last year's draft for instance. I don't think anyone could credibly claim that Kendricks is as good a prospect as Mosley was last year (I'm not saying Kendricks is not close to Mosley, just that he's not on the same level).

D

Deleted member 6794

He did mention ILB as a need but, correctly, mentioned that ILB isn't generally seen as a premium position in the NFL; I don't mean that teams don't care about ILBs, just that ILBs don't tend to go in the first round unless they're VERY good ILB prospects and there are more flaws with the higher rated ILBs in this draft than in last year's draft for instance. I don't think anyone could credibly claim that Kendricks is as good a prospect as Mosley was last year (I'm not saying Kendricks is not close to Mosley, just that he's not on the same level).

I agree that ILB isn't a premium position in the NFL but nevertheless the Packers are most dire need of an upgrade there.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that ILB isn't a premium position in the NFL but nevertheless the Packers are most dire need of an upgrade there.

I don't want this entire post to turn into a back and forth on ILBs. I will agree that if you think an ILB on the board at #30 is head-and-shoulders better than the other ILBs available and also better than players at more premium positions (e.g., dline, corner, etc). then go ILB. Last year Mosley and Shazier were much better than the next tier of ILBs and were among some of the better players available in the draft. If that's the case with an ILB this year, then draft him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not sure this is the proper place to put this, but when you look back at the last 10 years of the draft, it really is amazing how few of our drafted players still remain. Goes to show you there is more to this game then just "draft and develop"

Guessing our stats are similar to other teams? Although you always hear announcers say the Packers lead the league in guys who have never played for another team.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/draft.htm

There are only 19 players in the league as of now who have only played for the team that drafted them for 10+ years (I´ve included Eli Manning and Philip Rivers in the list as they were traded immediately after the draft). Five of them are QBs and another five are either kickers or punters.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't want this entire post to turn into a back and forth on ILBs. I will agree that if you think an ILB on the board at #30 is head-and-shoulders better than the other ILBs available and also better than players at more premium positions (e.g., dline, corner, etc). then go ILB. Last year Mosley and Shazier were much better than the next tier of ILBs and were among some of the better players available in the draft. If that's the case with an ILB this year, then draft him.
We're picking at #30, not at #15 or #17 where Shazier and Mosely were taken, respectively. While Shazier's rookie year was marred by injuries, I see him as a reach at that spot. In the long run, Kendricks looks like he'll be the more well rounded player.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're picking at #30, not at #15 or #17 where Shazier and Mosely were taken, respectively. While Shazier's rookie year was marred by injuries, I see him as a reach at that spot. In the long run, Kendricks looks like he'll be the more well rounded player.

I think you missed my point. This draft class has a top tier of ILBs that aren't as good as last year's. ILBs don't tend to get drafted in the first round unless they're extremely good. Kendricks is good in coverage but questionable against the run. It would be a reach to pick him in the first.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you. Problem is I don't see one ILB in this draft worthy of a first round pick. I'd take the best available CB, DT or RB. I don't see any TEs worthy in round 1 either.

Members online