OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Reaction score
without looking. He had relatively poor testing. Also without looking I never would’ve seen him fall to the 7th. Putting $ I’d had him Rd5 just from reading up on him.
King had the 15th highest peak (#45) in this CB class and his consensus landed more recently in that #165 area. He had some ? ? But he reminds me of Valentine from a getting involved standpoint. He’s a steal in RD7. I didn’t get to watch day 3 and he’s one of the last guys I thought we’d get this late. My guess was King would go more that top 150. He’s boom or bust on the opposite spectrum but if he hits he’s a top 100 area talent.

My favorite picks
Edgerrin Cooper

Runner up: Marshawn Lloyd (he was one of about a dozen players I was intrigued by). He was a choice by one of the NFL panel as the best Day2 selection when asked.

MY Honorable mention:
Kalen King. Who btw who in Mocks would often show up with Elijah Jones area (Elijah went #90 overall)

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Why He Will Succeed: King gets on the field via ST and regains some of his 2022 form as a CB3 or 4.

Why He Would Fail: King's decline in 2023 persists and he doesn't even make the roster.

My Guess: I think King will make it onto the 53 man roster but won't ever become a primary corner.

Upside Comp: Can't think of one.

Ben Fennell suggested Casey Hayward and Logan Ryan as upside comps and I think those are both pretty strong.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He forced a fumble yesterday at camp and Edgerrin scooped it for a score.

King has EVERY bit of the ability that Valentine did last year and is a man with a chip on his shoulder. Really intriguing to see if he finds a role for himself sooner rather than later.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Interesting how King fell from a potential first round pick pre-2023 season, to a 7th rounder post. Shows you what just 1 season can do for a player, in either direction. Jayden Reed, who played for MSU faced King twice in college games. His comments are worth noting, as is Reed telling King this past January that the Packers will be selecting him.

Reaction score
I think what we have here is nearly nothing to lose. At #255 overall, King has the league expectation of a glorified first choice of Undrafted prospects. The cost is so minimal that you take a stab at a player who has either played at Top 50 level for a series of games or for a season. You’ll notice that concept carried over to a Undrafted selection at WR also.

Here’s another look. 2-Time High School Team Captain. Two-time all-state, all-region, all-city and Detroit Public School League All-Conference selection

2023 • JUNIOR SEASON

Awards: Postseason: Was voted by the coaches and media as an All-Big Ten second team honoree. Preseason: Earned first-team preseason All-American honors from the Associated Press, Sporting News and PFF...Named to the Bednarik Award, Bronko Nagurski Trophy, Jim Thorpe Award and Lott IMPACT Trophy watch lists.

Season: Started all 12 games...Made 29 tackles (20 solo) to go along with 1.5 tackles for loss and two pass breakups...Named the coaching staff's Defensive Player of the Game (West Virginia, 9/2).

2022 • SOPHOMORE SEASON

Awards: Named second-team All-America by the Walter Camp Football Foundation...Selected third-team All-America by Pro Football Focus and honorable mention All-America by Phil Steele...Garnered third-team All-Big Ten honors by the coaches and media...Named to the Pro Football Focus All-Big Ten first team, AP All-Big Ten second team and Phil Steele All-Big Ten second team...Earned the team's Keystone Award along with Abdul Carter and Juice Scruggs.

- Appeared in all 13 games, starting nine at cornerback...Made 30 tackles (23 solo), three tackles for loss, 18 pass breakups, three interceptions, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery...Named the coaching staff's Defensive Player of the Game twice (Central Michigan, 9/24; Michigan State, 11/26). Led the Big Ten in passes defended (21; 3rd nationally) and pass breakups (18; 3rd)...Finished tied for eighth in the conference in interceptions (3).

2021 • TRUE FRESHMAN SEASON

Season: Appeared in 13 games, making one start...Tallied 23 tackles (15 solo), one tackle for loss, five pass breakups and a forced fumble.

High School: Helped lead the Technicians to an 11-2 mark during sophomore season...Forced two fumbles, had one interception and added seven pass breakups that year...Was part of an 11-3 squad that was district and regional champs as a freshman, tallying three breakups...Rated as the No. 16 cornerback and No. 8 prospect in Michigan by 247Sports...Ranked as the No. 44 cornerback, No. 69 prospect in the region and No. 13 prospect in Michigan by ESPN...Tabbed as the No. 134 prospect nationally, No. 10 prospect at his position.

Brian Branch would be his upside comparable if he returns to 2022 form. It’s No wonder why our own WR, Reed made media posts predicting he would be selected by the Green Bay Packers. He played against him several times and saw Kalen win player of the Week against Michigan and Michigan State. Reed’s predictive comments only further strengthened him as a legitimate target on Day 3.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think what we have here is nearly nothing to lose. At #255 overall, King has the league expectation of a glorified first choice of Undrafted prospects. The cost is so minimal that you take a stab at a player who has either played at Top 50 level for a series of games or for a season. You’ll notice that concept carried over to a Undrafted selection at WR also.

Here’s another look. 2-Time High School Team Captain. Two-time all-state, all-region, all-city and Detroit Public School League All-Conference selection

2023 • JUNIOR SEASON

Awards: Postseason: Was voted by the coaches and media as an All-Big Ten second team honoree. Preseason: Earned first-team preseason All-American honors from the Associated Press, Sporting News and PFF...Named to the Bednarik Award, Bronko Nagurski Trophy, Jim Thorpe Award and Lott IMPACT Trophy watch lists.

Season: Started all 12 games...Made 29 tackles (20 solo) to go along with 1.5 tackles for loss and two pass breakups...Named the coaching staff's Defensive Player of the Game (West Virginia, 9/2).

2022 • SOPHOMORE SEASON

Awards: Named second-team All-America by the Walter Camp Football Foundation...Selected third-team All-America by Pro Football Focus and honorable mention All-America by Phil Steele...Garnered third-team All-Big Ten honors by the coaches and media...Named to the Pro Football Focus All-Big Ten first team, AP All-Big Ten second team and Phil Steele All-Big Ten second team...Earned the team's Keystone Award along with Abdul Carter and Juice Scruggs.

- Appeared in all 13 games, starting nine at cornerback...Made 30 tackles (23 solo), three tackles for loss, 18 pass breakups, three interceptions, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery...Named the coaching staff's Defensive Player of the Game twice (Central Michigan, 9/24; Michigan State, 11/26). Led the Big Ten in passes defended (21; 3rd nationally) and pass breakups (18; 3rd)...Finished tied for eighth in the conference in interceptions (3).

2021 • TRUE FRESHMAN SEASON

Season: Appeared in 13 games, making one start...Tallied 23 tackles (15 solo), one tackle for loss, five pass breakups and a forced fumble.

High School: Helped lead the Technicians to an 11-2 mark during sophomore season...Forced two fumbles, had one interception and added seven pass breakups that year...Was part of an 11-3 squad that was district and regional champs as a freshman, tallying three breakups...Rated as the No. 16 cornerback and No. 8 prospect in Michigan by 247Sports...Ranked as the No. 44 cornerback, No. 69 prospect in the region and No. 13 prospect in Michigan by ESPN...Tabbed as the No. 134 prospect nationally, No. 10 prospect at his position.

Brian Branch would be his upside comparable if he returns to 2022 form. It’s No wonder why our own WR, Reed made media posts predicting he would be selected by the Green Bay Packers. He played against him several times and saw Kalen win player of the Week against Michigan and Michigan State. Reed’s predictive comments only further strengthened him as a legitimate target on Day 3.
Yeah the upside on King is big and the downside is very small. A mere $80,732 guarantee on his contract. If he works out, he will cost the Packers about $1M/year.

I'm viewing him as possible payback for the failed 2nd round pick used on Josh Jackson, who had the reverse situation at Iowa. AT Iowa, he had 2 pedestrian seasons, and then his junior year he was the man in the right place at the right time and had 8 interceptions. He declared for the draft and people were talking about him potentially going in round 1.

Reaction score
Yeah the upside on King is big and the downside is very small. A mere $80,732 guarantee on his contract. If he works out, he will cost the Packers about $1M/year.

I'm viewing him as possible payback for the failed 2nd round pick used on Josh Jackson, who had the reverse situation at Iowa. AT Iowa, he had 2 pedestrian seasons, and then his junior year he was the man in the right place at the right time and had 8 interceptions. He declared for the draft and people were talking about him potentially going in round 1.
That’s EXACTLY the player I was thinking of but mistakenly looked up Josh Jones. He’s basically another stab at Josh Jackson but maybe with a bigger chip on his shoulder. Great choice

Members online

No members online now.