2024 Packers Top 30 Prospect Visits

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
What I have been wondering about though because of the mocks and what some have said, is if Wilson might have future injury questions.

I did a bit of a shallow dive into Wilson's "injury history". He's had 2 torn ACL's. One in High School, another his freshman year (2018) at NC State. Then his sophomore year (2021) he had shoulder issues and underwent a Bristow procedure, a specific type of surgery used to treat instability caused by shoulder blade issues. Since then, the guy has been a force and I think, injury free. He was a semi-finalist for the National "Comeback Player of the Year" in 2022. In 2023, he basically won everything but the Heisman.

- Chuck Bednarik Award: Defensive player of the year in College Football.

- Butkus Award: Best LB in College Football.

- Unanimous All-American

- ACC Defensive Player of the year.

Honestly, the only "red flag" for me is that he turns 24 this month. But due to the "Covid Season", we are seeing a lot of older draftees.

I hope his past injury history keeps teams away and he is still there in the 2nd round for the Packers to consider.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did a bit of a shallow dive into Wilson's "injury history". He's had 2 torn ACL's. One in High School, another his freshman year (2018) at NC State. Then his sophomore year (2021) he had shoulder issues and underwent a Bristow procedure, a specific type of surgery used to treat instability caused by shoulder blade issues. Since then, the guy has been a force and I think, injury free. He was a semi-finalist for the National "Comeback Player of the Year" in 2022. In 2023, he basically won everything but the Heisman.

- Chuck Bednarik Award: Defensive player of the year in College Football.

- Butkus Award: Best LB in College Football.

- Unanimous All-American

- ACC Defensive Player of the year.

Honestly, the only "red flag" for me is that he turns 24 this month. But due to the "Covid Season", we are seeing a lot of older draftees.

I hope his past injury history keeps teams away and he is still there in the 2nd round for the Packers to consider.
Sounds good! Might even be 25. The age is not a problem for me.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sounds good! Might even be 25. The age is not a problem for me.
Honestly, I wouldn't be disappointed at 25. Might even be a guy that Gute trades out of the first and picks up early in round 2, while getting another pick.

Given red shirts and covid exemptions, lots of "older" players. Sounds like he was considering declaring in 2023 for the draft, but chose to stay.

His brother Bryce is with the Brewers, maybe Green Bay is a great spot for him

Loved his interview at the combine. Bright, humble, hungry.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's odd to me that 2 ACL's, a shoulder surgery, and then a recurrence of shoulder problems would be brushed aside as insignificant. That's a terrifying injury history, especially when the guy is built like a wide receiver. Then you add to that the reality that Wilson's tape is him playing against players who are all younger and less experienced. AND that tape wasn't even good. He has no capacity for dealing with blockers and he's a weak tackler... I can't think of a prospect that I would want less at his projected range.

Reaction score
I want to be smart and handsome and I’d like to see Wilson in Green and gold and I'm conflicted and I like reruns of I Love Lucy. I don’t know if that last part counts but sometimes I feel like Lucy but I resemble Desi

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's odd to me that 2 ACL's, a shoulder surgery, and then a recurrence of shoulder problems would be brushed aside as insignificant. That's a terrifying injury history, especially when the guy is built like a wide receiver. Then you add to that the reality that Wilson's tape is him playing against players who are all younger and less experienced. AND that tape wasn't even good. He has no capacity for dealing with blockers and he's a weak tackler... I can't think of a prospect that I would want less at his projected range.
I'm really conflicted abour Peyton Wilson, but you perfectly summarize the way I see it. On a personal level, he seems like a terrific kid in every way - wonderrful attitude, works hard, does and says all the right things, great teammate, well-respected by everyone at NC State, the kind of guy you really want in the locker room. He's a guy you want to see succeed. He's an easy guy to like.

Athelitically, the man's a freak. A combine superstar. But when I look at his combine measurables, and then the game tapes, I don't see the carryover. His RAS doesn't show up on the field. Incredible athlete, but not that incredible a football player. He consistently fails to win one-on-one physical matchups with blockers or ballcarriers who someone with his physcial attributes and athletical ability should be either dominating or at least consistently coming out on top. And he consistently just.... doesn't. I would expect a man with his physical abilities to be a more dominant presence in his matchups.

And those injuries.... that's a hell of an injury history for a man of his age. I played linebacker too, and had exactly the same body type in terms of height and weight - a little over 6'4", roughly 235. I had a ton of knee, elbow, and shoulder injuries too, because (as it was explained to me) the long limbs and lean musculature focused more stress on the ligaments and tendons in the joints than they were able to handle. The doctors told me that I was asking the soft tissues of the joints to do the work that a heavier-built man could get done with his leg and arm muscles.

I don't know how accurate that was, at the high-school and D3 college level, or how applicable it still is 40-45 years later at the NFL level. But if there is any validity to it, it makes me worry that he's always going to be just an injury waiting to happen. How many players come into the NFL with 2 ACL surgeries (both on the same knee) already on the medical history? And of those, how many are we discussing as 1st or 2nd round picks?

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm really conflicted abour Peyton Wilson, but you perfectly summarize the way I see it. On a personal level, he seems like a terrific kid in every way - wonderrful attitude, works hard, does and says all the right things, great teammate, well-respected by everyone at NC State, the kind of guy you really want in the locker room. He's a guy you want to see succeed. He's an easy guy to like.

Athelitically, the man's a freak. A combine superstar. But when I look at his combine measurables, and then the game tapes, I don't see the carryover. His RAS doesn't show up on the field. Incredible athellete, but not that incredible a football player. He consistently fails to win one-on-one physical matchups with blockers or ballcarriers who someone with his physcial attributes and athletical ability should be either dominating or at least consistently coming out on top. And he consistently just.... doesn't. I would expect a man with his physical abilities to be a more dominant presence in his matchups.

And those injuries.... that's a hell of an injury history for a man of his age. I played linebacker too, and had exactly the same body type in terms of height and weight - a little over 6'4", roughly 235. I had a ton of knee, elbow, and shoulder injuries too, because (as it was explained to me) the long limbs and lean musculature focused more stress on the ligaments and tendons in the joints than they were able to handle. The doctors told me that I was asking the soft tissues of the joints to do the work that a heavier-built man could get done with his leg and arm muscles.

I don't know how accurate that was, at the high-school and D3 college level, or how applicable it still is 40-45 years later at the NFL level. But if there is any validity to it, it makes me worry that he's always going to be just an injury waiting to happen. How many players come into the NFL with 2 ACL surgeries (both on the same knee) already on the medical history? And of those, how many are we discussing as 1st or 2nd round picks?
For the record -13, I've declared you a hard no for my draft board as well. Definitely failed your interview!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Athelitically, the man's a freak. A combine superstar. But when I look at his combine measurables, and then the game tapes, I don't see the carryover. His RAS doesn't show up on the field. Incredible athellete, but not that incredible a football player. He consistently fails to win one-on-one physical matchups with blockers or ballcarriers who someone with his physcial attributes and athletical ability should be either dominating or at least consistently coming out on top. And he consistently just.... doesn't. I would expect a man with his physical abilities to be a more dominant presence in his matchups.
I guess we watched different game tape. While it is fun to watch "highlights", I always try to find a video where someone breaks down the way a player plays, both good and bad. The one I watched on Wilson is below. What I see is a guy that uses his speed and football instincts to stay clear of as much contact as he can and is constantly pursuing the ball. Yes, there are times that he can't shed a block, but as the guy doing the analysis points out, that happens to all players. Wilson's speed and instincts helps him to stay clean on many plays and be where the ball is. One thing I see consistently with him, he is assignment sure and always playing his gaps pretty well. Gives me the sense that his football IQ is pretty high. A valuable trait for a LB.

I guess it will be up to the scouts and GM's to decide about his ACL and shoulder injuries. ACL injuries are one of the most common ones (major) in Football. On average, 40-60/year in the NFL and the LB position statistically suffers the most. The methods of repairing and rehabbing one today are a lot different than it was 40 years ago. The fact that his last one was in 2018 and he plays without braces, leads me to believe, is isn't a big concern for him. Looks like he tweaked his knee midseason last year, kept playing, wore a brace for a few games and then went back to no brace. His shoulder surgery was described as a Bristow procedure in 2021. Once again, LB's suffer the most shoulder injuries of any position. Not an uncommon procedure with NFL LB's either. Bears DB Jaylon Johnson, who they franchise tagged recently, had a similar surgery.

I'm no medical expert, but guessing any team interested in Wilson will do a deep dive into his medical history. Any NFL player is a play away from having his career end, will be interesting to see where Wilson goes in the draft.

Last edited:

edensmage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you wanted me to mention someone I’m strongly out on. Wilson is that.
I commented on a few LB's a few months ago and Wilson was one of them. I mentioned he seemed thin framed and for a LB that isn't great. I do like his athletic profile, attitude, etc - as I'm sure many teams will. However, his injury history definitely takes him down the board for me. I don't think I'd like him before the 4th. There are just too many other great potential players that don't have that kind of injury history and still have the athletic profile to help our team without the risk.

Reaction score
I commented on a few LB's a few months ago and Wilson was one of them. I mentioned he seemed thin framed and for a LB that isn't great. I do like his athletic profile, attitude, etc - as I'm sure many teams will. However, his injury history definitely takes him down the board for me. I don't think I'd like him before the 4th. There are just too many other great potential players that don't have that kind of injury history and still have the athletic profile to help our team without the risk.
Sure. I guess it also depends on where he lands, for myself anyway. He’s a hard no at #25. He’s a hard yes at #88. I’m a realistic player at #58 overall but there’s a 80% he’s gone by then because of the lack of options towards the Top. His production and athleticism are undeniable, but like Aaron Jones if he’s only playing 12 games it’s still not good.
Has to be top 5 pic, if not #1 for Packer History buffs.

Instead of a Gatorade Shower, it almost looks like Jerry gave old Vince a Nut Punch!

Those shoes Vince had looked like my old Hockey Skates

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure. I guess it also depends on where he lands, for myself anyway. He’s a hard no at #25. He’s a hard yes at #88. I’m a realistic player at #58 overall but there’s a 80% he’s gone by then because of the lack of options towards the Top. His production and athleticism are undeniable, but like Aaron Jones if he’s only playing 12 games it’s still not good.
Sums it up pretty nicely. He's the kind of player who's a shiny enough object that at least some team is likely to grab him early on, but there's a chance that Gute has his name somewhere on a list of players he'd take with "X" pick.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Another late rd, or UDFA LB from Northwestern is a top 30 visit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240407_181258_X.jpg
    Screenshot_20240407_181258_X.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bryce is a guy I'm well aware of and have a backend of 7th grade on. Not elite athlete but a mixture of intelligence and lunch pale mentality has led him to be quite successful in his time with NW.

Three year starter essentially amassing over 300 tackles in that time frame, twice broke 100 total last two seasons. He is a run stopper with mild athleticism to cover slower TEs and Backs, but truthfully only should be called into zone coverage IMO.

He is a down hill run defender that is excellent at making plays behind the line scrimmage and typically once his hands touch a guy that man is not breaking the tackle.

If I had to bet this is a 7th or even UDFA priority type pick.

Off ball linebacker now has seen us bring in a guy that has borderline Day1 consensus (Cooper), late Day2/early Day3 in Trevin Wallace...Mid Day3 in Ty'Ron and now a late Day3/UDFA in Bryce.

Last edited:

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Bryce is a guy I'm well aware of and have a backend of 7th grade on. Not elite athlete but a mixture of intelligence and lunch pale mentality has led him to be quite successful in his type with NW.

Three year starter essentially amassing over 300 tackles in that time frame, twice broke 100 total last two seasons. He is a run stopper with mild athleticism to cover slower TEs and Backs, but truthfully only should be called into zone coverage IMO.

He is a down hill run defender that is excellent at making plays behind the line scrimmage and typically once his hands touch a guy that man is not breaking the tackle.

If I had to bet this is a 7th or even UDFA priority type pick.

Off ball linebacker now has seen us bring in a guy that has borderline Day1 consensus (Cooper), late Day2/early Day3 in Trevin Wallace...Mid Day3 in Ty'Ron and now a late Day3/UDFA in Bryce.
Thanks for the breakdown tyni

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Fresh off the press... RB Ray Davis, nice mid rd prospect.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240408_090915_X.jpg
    Screenshot_20240408_090915_X.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ray is one of the unspoken but very versatile Packer type for Day 3 (early). For a guy of his build and lack of non-game testing he seems to almost contradict himself by being a lot more on the field when the pads are on. A third down back, with sure hands that seems to have way more short burst acceleration than testing showcased, and his leg strength and lower center of gravity really does at time help him bounce off or spin away from contact and keep chucking.

Ray will get a lot of retractors given his RAS being lower and his long speed not there...but if Davis is still there in the 5th and we need a RB still - folks should be grinning if his name is called.

Grabbed his measurements from my chart quick...

Hands 8.875 (small)
Arms 30.25
Height is 5083
Weight 211

benched 21 reps
40 - 4.52
10 split - 1.62
35 inch vert
911 broad
4.51 shuttle (not good for a RB).

Consensus boards have him in that 4th/5th round area.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I'm finding Davis has a RAS score of 6.12, and Math Bomb has him at 7.29??? Big difference, so not sure if things weren't updated on one. Great receiving back, needs to work on his pass blocking though.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm finding Davis has a RAS score of 6.12, and Math Bomb has him at 7.29??? Big difference, so not sure if things weren't updated on one. Great receiving back, needs to work on his pass blocking though.

Math Bomb is RAS fyi if you weren't aware.

Members online