2024 draft discussion thread

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just my thoughts.

Draft grades in general are silly, but if you're going to do them then they have to be given relative to draft capital.

Typically draft grades are just handed out based on teams taking or not taking the players that the media already liked. So in a sense, it's just an affirmation of the consensus board. Arnold fell 12-16 slots below expectation, but that doesn't prompt anyone in the media to say "maybe we missed something here." They just say "Detroit got a top 10 player at 24." What makes him a "top 10 player?" Simply media expectation. It's circular reasoning and it excludes the critical new data we received last night: the league collectively let Arnold fall to #24.

There are reports that the Lions also called the Packers about moving up for Arnold in case it didn't work with Dallas. GB wanted to stick and pick rather than risk losing Morgan. They expected Baltimore to take him if they had the chance or maybe move up to do so. At least that's what's indicated by the rumor. That would meant GB was never taking Arnold.

Morgan certainly didn't start climbing draft boards lately. He was just higher for a team like the Packers than he was in the media. Maybe he was higher for other teams as well. We can't really know for certain.

No one won or lost anything.
I beg to differ. I believe Tyni won a few sheckles last night.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
What I'm saying is that immediately post draft, grading based on who they took and who "BPA" was is just a fancy way of saying "how closely did they follow the consensus big board."
Exactly! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's just like on this forum, if you wanted or thought a different player was better at the time, your view/grade of the pick is different then those who are for the pick. I try to have an open mind, analize the pick and view the why they did it.

My buddy at the draft party last night asked me who I wanted. I said I was fine with about 10 different guys, and open to others, pending how the draft went. Did I like more than others? Sure, but I will approach today's picks the same way.

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I'm saying is that immediately post draft, grading based on who they took and who "BPA" was is just a fancy way of saying "how closely did they follow the consensus big board."
Dante's, I think you and Tyni should grade the media's draft rankings based on where players were actually picked.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
FWIW, I started out with NFL Network, and then noticed that the picks were appearing on draft sites on the internet before they were announced on the NFL Network. That didn't seem to happen with ESPN, so I switched for the rest of the night.
I like Daniel Jeremiah, so I stick with NFL Network. I also stay off social media...the thrill of the unknown until it hits TV is what I want. So you won't see me doing a lot on this forum during the draft. I'll check in, maybe make a comment after a Packers pick, but as a whole I'll be fairly quiet. I have my own spreadsheet I work during the draft, and it keeps me pretty busy. Especially when picks are flying off the board.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dante's, I think you and Tyni should grade the media's draft rankings based on where players were actually picked.
Imma stickt to wasting far too much time pretending I’m a scout and watching film and analyzing prospects.

Anyone want a hint at my board for 2025? Lol (joking)

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sure hope he doesn't forget about getting help at Safety sometime today also.
At least we signed a good safety in free agency. LB is in need now that Campbell is gone. And giving away Rasul did not help either.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Imma stickt to wasting far too much time pretending I’m a scout and watching film and analyzing prospects.

Anyone want a hint at my board for 2025? Lol (joking)
But you did 'critique' the concensus board by betting against errors you saw. And you made some loot in the process. Congrats!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But you did 'critique' the concensus board by betting against errors you saw. And you made some loot in the process. Congrats!
lol for sure. Don’t get me wrong I’m 100% with @Dantés all the post round or draft grades released are just poorly written and not researched to the depths they should be or weighed sufficiently vs what picks they had.

It’s just people liking or disliking the prospects 9 out of 10 times.

Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Correction. 1pt Tie!

But you’re beating the hell out of me so just hold onto that much! It was almost like a false start out of the blocks. It’s a 3-way tie for possible disqualification!

Now watch you win 1-0 :laugh:

Last edited:

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Correction. 1pt Tie!

But you’re beating the hell out of me so just hold onto that much! It was almost like a false start out of the blocks. It’s a 3-way tie for possible disqualification!

Now watch you win 1-0 :laugh:
I think I was the only one to mock Morgan in the 1st Rd, so I have 4 pts and the others have 3 pts, because they picked him in the wrong Rd.... Anyway, the race just started and we haven't even made it to the first corner yet ;)

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least that's what's indicated by the rumor. That would meant GB was never taking Arnold.

Morgan certainly didn't start climbing draft boards lately. He was just higher for a team like the Packers than he was in the media. Maybe he was higher for other teams as well. We can't really know for certain.

No one won or lost anything.

Not sure I agree. When a top prospect falls down the picks, then it's a steal for whoever lands him, not a ding on the player himself. AR12 is a prime example of this.

When the rankers grade a pick, it's relative to when he's expected to go in a draft....not because of specific team needs.

Ignoring the order of picks ....who would have the biggest difference in the team, DeJean or Morgan? I'm inclined to say the former. And I certainly believe we'd have a chance of landing Morgan in R2.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I am of mind to think that the Packers drafting a Left Tackle in the 1st Rd, speaks volumes on their commitment and intentions toward an extension with Jordan Love, and I predict that contract will be finalized before the season.

On another note, if they don't draft a DT in Rd 2, I feel that bodes well for Kenny Clark.

U.P. Packfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't be concerned about draft grades! In 2005 we were vilified for our draft. I just looked up a couple of old draft grades, C- and D+ on the 2 sites I found. Rodgers was "unnecessary when we had Favre and Collins was a horrible reach". The rest were not as noticeable. It turned out pretty well anyway didn't it? I watch the draft with fascination but I realize that I don't have the information that the front offices have to make their picks. All I have to go by is the info I get by listening to the talking heads leading up to the draft. I remember the debate for the #1 QB one year, Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf? How about how great Heath Schuler and Trent Dilfer were going to be great NFL QBs. Teams are looking at college players and trying to project how they will perform in the NFL. There will be a lot of guys who do just what you expect, a lot of guys who under perform, and even a number who will surprise everybody and become stars. Debate is fun and I think a lot of you are looking to put out statements right now so you can look back later and say "See, I was right". In reality, almost all of us are just bystanders enjoying the show. At least I know I am.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Max Melton has his draft hats ready.... 5 of them are Packers hats:cool:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Makes sense he has extra Packer hats. If the pack don't draft him he already has Christmas and Birthday gifts for Bo.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am of mind to think that the Packers drafting a Left Tackle in the 1st Rd, speaks volumes on their commitment and intentions toward an extension with Jordan Love, and I predict that contract will be finalized before the season.

On another note, if they don't draft a DT in Rd 2, I feel that bodes well for Kenny Clark.
Newton is one of the 5 guys I like at 41. I don't think he will get past TN. though. I also thought I read somewhere that both he and Kool-aid are coming off of foot injuries. Could be part of the reason they are still on the board.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Newton is one of the 5 guys I like at 41. I don't think he will get past TN. though. I also thought I read somewhere that both he and Kool-aid are coming off of foot injuries. Could be part of the reason they are still on the board.
I agree, and so is DeJean

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I read out new defensive coordinator likes to play 4-3 a lot. Might just be a scheme change? Anyone hear the same or no?

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rant I think I read that you pop in periodically during the draft. So let me pick your brain. As stated I like 5 guys still out there at 41. 1. DeJean 2. Kool-Aid 3. E. Cooper 4. Newton 5. Suamatala. IMO 3 teams go WR. BUF-N.E. - LAC. Here's to hoping one of WSH picks is an Edge. Thoughts?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, our base defense will be 4-3
Cool. So that means we will be playing the 3-4 instead of the 2-5. Lol since we live in nickel.

Drafting a DT doesn't mean we are keeping Clark or not, I would speculate...

I'm still stuck in the era of Gilbert brown being out DT at 400#... I mean, 360 (side eye) and Reggie playing end over 300 pounds....

Give me a NT and three DTs who are all quick, and leave those little guys for the other teams. I want 4 guys who command a double team and I will be happy:) lol.

I'm sure many of you remember our months long heated debates over this strategy. Lol.

Reminds me .... Wheres CaptainWimm? Hope he is healthy.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Rant I think I read that you pop in periodically during the draft. So let me pick your brain. As stated I like 5 guys still out there at 41. 1. DeJean 2. Kool-Aid 3. E. Cooper 4. Newton 5. Suamatala. IMO 3 teams go WR. BUF-N.E. - LAC. Here's to hoping one of WSH picks is an Edge. Thoughts?
I think now that we got Morgan, I would lean on Rosengarten instead of Suamataia, as he's a Tackle more thought to make the move inside.