2024 draft discussion thread

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Bills and the Patriots both go WR. I would wait until one of the 2 goes, before I trade up. If I did trade, I would look at the Cardinals at #35. I would offer #41 and #91 for #35 and their 5th #138
If I were the Bills I'd go receiver early and often from here on out and I don't just say that because Josh Allen is my QB in my fantasy keeper league. OK that is why I'm saying it. Come to think of it the Chargers should probably do the same thing. Herbert is my backup.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
If I were the Bills I'd go receiver early and often from here on out and I don't just say that because Josh Allen is my QB in my fantasy keeper league. OK that is why I'm saying it. Come to think of it the Chargers should probably do the same thing. Herbert is my backup.
Lol, but it does make sense. The Bills lost Diggs and Davis, the Patriots drafted a QB... get him a weapon, the Chargers went OL, that's Harbaugh to a tee, but they lost Allen and Mike Williams. Modifying an Oprah saying... You get a WR, you get a WR, you get a WR.

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this rate I say we trade up and leave the second with Edgerrin Cooper and one of either DeJean, kool aid and Hicks
You don’t like Colson over Cooper?
I wouldn’t mind using our two thirds to move up. Or at least one of them.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My uneducated guesses. Not trying to guess any trades. Sure to be wrong predictions.
BUF- WR
NE- WR
AZ- DeJEAN OR KOOL-AID
WSH- OL--JPJ, Beebe, or Suamatala
LAC- WR
TN- Newton
CAR- Edge- Kneeland?
WSH- DEJEAN OR KOOL-AID, hopefully Edge instead
GB- E. Cooper- even if DeJean or Kool-aid slide to hear IMO there will be more quality DBs to choose from at 58 than LBs
CBs who could be worthy of 58- Melton, Rakestraw, Lassiter. Safety- Hicks and Bishop. LBs- Colson.
As always just my opinion.

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My uneducated guesses. Not trying to guess any trades. Sure to be wrong predictions.
BUF- WR
NE- WR
AZ- DeJEAN OR KOOL-AID
LAC- WR
TN- Newton
CAR- Edge- Kneeland?
GB- E. Cooper- even if DeJean or Kool-aid slide to hear IMO there will be more quality DBs to choose from at 58 than LBs
CBs who could be worthy of 58- Melton, Rakestraw, Lassiter. Safety- Hicks and Bishop. LBs- Colson.
How about stay pat at 41, and trade up from 58?
Dang!! As I was posting this a buddy of mine called and asked me if I wanted VIP tickets for next years draft. I forgot that his wife worked for some higher ups.. So I am pretty stoked for next year.
Okay, carry on!

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BUF- WR
NE- WR
AZ- DeJEAN OR KOOL-AID
LAC- WR
TN- Newton
CAR- Edge- Kneeland?
Heard Mike Lombardi hint that there was a reason that Alabama played a lot of zone last season. Implied the coverage abilities of at least one of the CBs was not to be trusted. Someone also said that Kool-Aid was lazy in practice. Not a leader but a negative. Since hearing that, I don't think I want him on the team no matter where we get him.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
When looking at what the Vikings did, in the 1st Rd of the 2024 draft
1. Traded for the Texans pick #23
2. Traded up to #10 from #11
3. Traded up to #17 from #23

The Vikings yielded JJ McCarthy, Dallas Turner and 2024 picks #203 and #232

The Vikings traded away
2024 picks # 11, 23, 42, 129, 157, 167, and 188... plus
2025 2nd Rd, 3rd Rd, and 4th Rd

This is insane!

Last edited:

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seemed like the Vikings simultaneously panicked and got antsy. If I was a fan, not sure I'd be excited. Guess if McCarthy is the QB of the future all good, but a lot of capital just thrown out to move around.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was surprised but I think it is a perfect pick. He can cover at least L tackle if we need it and he can play R guard probably right away. Still need more O line but this guy seems to give us real flexibility. I'm very happy with it.
After sleeping on it. And realizing he literally can play all 5 Online positions if needed. At a fairly high level.... I can't complain. Online is always a boring pick for the 1st or 2nd rounds. But the games are won in the trenches. And those Linemen get the big bucks for a reason..... 315. And add 10 pounds of muscle the next couple years, and he is a brute..... Not bad for #25.

Detroit really stole the pick we were going to take I believe.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
On the whole, I think the NFCN did well.

The Bears' first round went about as ideally as it could. They got their QB and, in my opinion, the best player in the draft in Odunze. Rest assured, they will screw it up. But the prospects are good.

The Vikings obviously botched the whole process. They made moves thinking they could get up for Maye and had to settle. However, I like McCarthy. He's a better prospect than he gets credit for, in my opinion. I know nothing about Turner really, except that he was highly regarded.

Terrion Arnold was a good get for the Lions. Obviously he is not as high a quality of prospect in the eyes of the league as he was in the eyes of the media. If he had been, he wouldn't have fallen to #24. But nevertheless, that's a good pick for their defense. Love will still shred them.

I do think it's hilarious that a lot of NFCN fans are mocking Green Bay's pick. History would tend to show that those comments won't age well.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Vikings traded away

This is insane!
WOW. When you just look at who they drafted you might be excited but when you look at what they gave up maybe not so much. I look at the first rounders as a wash since they were going to get a first round pick anyway. The thing is they might have been able to stand pat and still get those same guys (good chance with McCarthy IMO not sure on Turner) So in my mind they they gave up 8 picks to make sure they got two guys they may have been able to get anyway and two 7th round picks. I like it.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Vikings traded away

This is insane!
Yea they sold the farm.. I would not be happy with those moves. MAYBE the McCarthy pick. Considering other teams would've snuck in and stole him probably.... But the edge rusher could've been had at their regular pick.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are right. I didn't find it because I was looking for the first pick in the round.

You said he stretched. I don't think Gute thinks he stretched. You said we needed CB more. My guess is Gute thought an OL was more important. You said it was a wrong pick and the value wasn't there. Obviously Gute thinks differently. Lastly you brought up in a previous post that he was a 3/4 round talent at best. All that to me suggests that you think you know more than Gute does.

It was really the 3/4 round talent post that got me but I wasn't going to say anything because most people who make that claim are just venting and looking for an excuse to rip on a pick they dont like or have no clue. Either way I ignore it. When you backed it up with your next post claiming it was simply a bad pick I had to say something.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and I am sure many will agree with you. It may even turn out to be the wrong pick but for now no one knows and I'll leave it at that.
I remember that. But it was more like 10 years ago than 5. You're getting old. Lol.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Certainly favored the aggression of Mims and Guyton, and would have gone Guyton myself. We can have some players that are just tackles and rely on the others for their positional versatility.

I am happy with Morgan. He is a bit of a projection as he may have been slowed by the ACL last season. I trust our medical staff isn't concerned and Gute feels their is more upside there. I thought he was too much finess and that we were looking for more aggressive OL guys. But the man can really move well. I love adding to the OL in a deep OL draft; trying to shoreup a weak link on the OL; and investing in the protection of Love. Our offense may be just that much better.

I think we should get 1 more guy today for the OL. Puni!
I didn't realize he had a ACL injury recently.... Makes me a bit more concerned for the pick...

Guyton was on my board as well. But as a "project". The physical abilities are elite. But do you risk a 1st round pick on a hope that he learns how to play LT at that top level? That's a perfect Dallas type of reach. GB just got themselves a Tauscher. Which is a GB pick.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the whole, I think the NFCN did well.

The Bears' first round went about as ideally as it could. They got their QB and, in my opinion, the best player in the draft in Odunze. Rest assured, they will screw it up. But the prospects are good.

The Vikings obviously botched the whole process. They made moves thinking they could get up for Maye and had to settle. However, I like McCarthy. He's a better prospect than he gets credit for, in my opinion. I know nothing about Turner really, except that he was highly regarded.

Terrion Arnold was a good get for the Lions. Obviously he is not as high a quality of prospect in the eyes of the league as he was in the eyes of the media. If he had been, he wouldn't have fallen to #24. But nevertheless, that's a good pick for their defense. Love will still shred them.

I do think it's hilarious that a lot of NFCN fans are mocking Green Bay's pick. History would tend to show that those comments won't age well.

I do think that when you look strictly at the players drafted the Packers come out on the short end of the stick grade wise for round 1.

That said the Bears had 2 top 10 picks. Its kind of hard to mess that up even for them. I would expect them to get an A grade for the round. Odunze will probably end up being better than Williams.

Similarly, the vikings also had 2 picks. They might not have gotten the QB they had hoped for but since McCarthy was never really asked to be a passing QB can we truly grade him on that. Obviously Michigan was a strong team overall but 27-1 is nothing to sneeze at as a starter. Like you I don't know anything about Turner but I haven't seen anyone giving him a bad grade so I will assume that he was a good pick. Again an A grade does not surprise me with 2 top 20 picks BUT, they gave up a lot to get them. That has to be factored in eventually.

The Lions traded up to get the guy many think we were after so you can't help but give that an A or maybe an A- unless you think us drafting Arnold would have been a bad idea.

We drafted a Lineman who was apparently starting to climb up the draft boards and is tremendously versatile but many think was a 2nd round prospect and some even a 3/4 round talent. Maybe not the day 1 starter like everyone wanted but a great player to add to the Packers roster. As someone said this guy might not do 1 thing great but he does everything very well. I think it was a typical Gute move and at 25 what do you expect? When all is said and done DeJean might have been the only guy I would have preferred.

So I will concede that we may have lost round 1. HOWEVER, the draft doesn't end after round 1.

We have 10 picks left (4 tonight) to improve our grade.

The Bears have 2 picks left although you might look at it as they only have 2 chances to screw it up and with the two guys they got they will really have to mess up to bring the average down.

The vikings have 5 picks but none tonight and 4 are in rounds 6 and 7 tomorrow.

The Lions have 5 left but only 1 in the next 3 rounds.

All in all I think it is safe to say we won't come out of the draft with the best players out of the draft in the division but I think we will come out of it with the best chance of improving our team.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about stay pat at 41, and trade up from 58?
Dang!! As I was posting this a buddy of mine called and asked me if I wanted VIP tickets for next years draft. I forgot that his wife worked for some higher ups.. So I am pretty stoked for next year.
Okay, carry on!
I don't want to trade up at all. I want 4 day two picks to fill out some depth, and hopefully bag a couple more starters.

I have a few guys nobody here has mentioned yet. That I believe would be upgrades to current starters. Or at minimum, co-starters who gives us flexibility during free agency the next couple years.... Don't even ask who because I refuse to upset the football gods.... :)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I do think that when you look strictly at the players drafted the Packers come out on the short end of the stick grade wise for round 1.

That said the Bears had 2 top 10 picks. Its kind of hard to mess that up even for them. I would expect them to get an A grade for the round. Odunze will probably end up being better than Williams.

Similarly, the vikings also had 2 picks. They might not have gotten the QB they had hoped for but since McCarthy was never really asked to be a passing QB can we truly grade him on that. Obviously Michigan was a strong team overall but 27-1 is nothing to sneeze at as a starter. Like you I don't know anything about Turner but I haven't seen anyone giving him a bad grade so I will assume that he was a good pick. Again an A grade does not surprise me. BUT, they gave up a lot to get them. That has to be factored in eventually.

The Lions traded up to get the guy many think we were after so you can't help but give that an A or maybe an A- unless you think us drafting Arnold would have been a bad idea.

We drafted a Lineman who was apparently starting to climb up the draft boards and is tremendously versatile but many think was a 2nd round prospect and some even a 3/4 round talent. Maybe not the day 1 starter like everyone wanted but a great player to add to the Packers roster. As someone said this guy might not do 1 thing great but he does everything very well. I think it was a typical Gute move and at 25 what do you expect? When all is said and done DeJean might have been the only guy I would have preferred.

So I will concede that we may have lost round 1. HOWEVER, the draft doesn't end after round 1.

The Bears have 2 picks left although you might look at it as they only have 2 chances to screw it up.

The vikings have 5 picks but none tonight and 4 are in rounds 6 and 7 tomorrow

All in all I think it is safe to say we won't come out of the draft with the best players out of the draft in the division but I think we will come out of it with the best chance of improving our team.

Just my thoughts.

Draft grades in general are silly, but if you're going to do them then they have to be given relative to draft capital.

Typically draft grades are just handed out based on teams taking or not taking the players that the media already liked. So in a sense, it's just an affirmation of the consensus board. Arnold fell 12-16 slots below expectation, but that doesn't prompt anyone in the media to say "maybe we missed something here." They just say "Detroit got a top 10 player at 24." What makes him a "top 10 player?" Simply media expectation. It's circular reasoning and it excludes the critical new data we received last night: the league collectively let Arnold fall to #24.

There are reports that the Lions also called the Packers about moving up for Arnold in case it didn't work with Dallas. GB wanted to stick and pick rather than risk losing Morgan. They expected Baltimore to take him if they had the chance or maybe move up to do so. At least that's what's indicated by the rumor. That would meant GB was never taking Arnold.

Morgan certainly didn't start climbing draft boards lately. He was just higher for a team like the Packers than he was in the media. Maybe he was higher for other teams as well. We can't really know for certain.

No one won or lost anything.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw an interesting trade proposal on Lombardi avenue. We send 41 and 91 to the bills for 33 and 128. What says the board?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Similarly, the vikings also had 2 picks. They might not have gotten the QB they had hoped for but since McCarthy was never really asked to be a passing QB can we truly grade him on that. Obviously Michigan was a strong team overall but 27-1 is nothing to sneeze at as a starter. Like you I don't know anything about Turner but I haven't seen anyone giving him a bad grade so I will assume that he was a good pick. Again an A grade does not surprise me. BUT, they gave up a lot to get them. That has to be factored in eventually.

The Bears have 2 picks left although you might look at it as they only have 2 chances to screw it up.

The vikings have 5 picks but none tonight and 4 are in rounds 6 and 7 tomorrow

In my honest opinion.... Bears blew it BIG TIME basicly giving away Justin fields (11th overall in 21') , simply to get another QB with the same skill set, who is known to be a diva ... Just plain ridiculous when you consider they could've traded back that #1 overall for a few 1st rounders which in turn could've been traded back for 10 days 2 picks. And literally stacked their draft capital for the next 3 years. Literally could've rebuilt the team with that one pick if not used on Williams... Typical Bears move ..

the WR at #9 a long with the free agent Allen I think it was. Basicly would've given fields the targets he has been lacking his first 3 years.... But in the same sense, they could've quite literally traded that pick back a couple times and still got a #3 WR who would most likely develop into a #1WR in the next few years. Just like Udez-whatever is going to do... I do like the pick, but with the depth at the position, and teams desperate for a QB.... They could've cashed in big time... AGAIN!!!

Vikes trading the farm this year and next for the QB and edge rusher was not wise IMO. Anyways...

I'm happy with our young journeyman work horse Lineman who apparently handled some top tier defenders quite well, from what I hear. His 2nd contract most likely won't break the bank. Which is a great long term strategy for 1st rounders in today's free agent markets ... And remember Jordan Love will be getting a fat *** deal sooner
than later.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just my thoughts.

Draft grades in general are silly, but if you're going to do them then they have to be given relative to draft capital.

Typically draft grades are just handed out based on teams taking or not taking the players that the media already liked. So in a sense, it's just an affirmation of the consensus board. Arnold fell 12-16 slots below expectation, but that doesn't prompt anyone in the media to say "maybe we missed something here." They just say "Detroit got a top 10 player at 24." What makes him a "top 10 player?" Simply media expectation. It's circular reasoning and it excludes the critical new data we received last night: the league collectively let Arnold fall to #24.

There are reports that the Lions also called the Packers about moving up for Arnold in case it didn't work with Dallas. GB wanted to stick and pick rather than risk losing Morgan. They expected Baltimore to take him if they had the chance or maybe move up to do so. At least that's what's indicated by the rumor. That would meant GB was never taking Arnold.

Morgan certainly didn't start climbing draft boards lately. He was just higher for a team like the Packers than he was in the media. Maybe he was higher for other teams as well. We can't really know for certain.

No one won or lost anything.
No one may have won or lost but that doesn't keep people from pretending they did. Everyone agrees that draft grades are silly but still everyone does them. They are usually preceded with a comment like "Grading a draft is silly but..."

Teams either take the BPA available or they draft the guys they need. The guys handing out the grades see this and to them it looks like a good draft unless they are really down on a particular player or they feel a GM really reached. That's why you don't see many draft grades below a C. If I recall correctly when I looked at the immediate post draft grades for last year maybe 3/4 of the grades were B or above. If you are grading a draft, which I agree can be silly, you kind of have to grade based on how the players drafted look to help the team and not necessarily on how good or bad you think the player is or will be. Its a rare instance when you can honestly dislike a draft pick because you don't like the player because like you said we don't know how the guy who made the choice felt. If a team really needs a QB and they trade up to get the guy they think is going to be the answer can you really fault them for being wrong. Even if it means they passed on an all pro in the process.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
No one may have won or lost but that doesn't keep people from pretending they did. Everyone agrees that draft grades are silly but still everyone does them. They are usually preceded with a comment like "Grading a draft is silly but..."

Teams either take the BPA available or they draft the guys they need. The guys handing out the grades see this and to them it looks like a good draft unless they are really down on a particular player or they feel a GM really reached. That's why you don't see many draft grades below a C. If I recall correctly when I looked at the immediate post draft grades for last year maybe 3/4 of the grades were B or above. If you are grading a draft, which I agree can be silly, you kind of have to grade based on how the players drafted look to help the team and not necessarily on how good or bad you think the player is or will be. Its a rare instance when you can honestly dislike a draft pick because you don't like the player because like you said we don't know how the guy who made the choice felt. If a team really needs a QB and they trade up to get the guy they think is going to be the answer can you really fault them for being wrong. Even if it means they passed on an all pro in the process.

What I'm saying is that immediately post draft, grading based on who they took and who "BPA" was is just a fancy way of saying "how closely did they follow the consensus big board."

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, everyone - what's the better network to watch on? NFL Network, or ESPN?
FWIW, I started out with NFL Network, and then noticed that the picks were appearing on draft sites on the internet before they were announced on the NFL Network. That didn't seem to happen with ESPN, so I switched for the rest of the night.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Similarly, the vikings also had 2 picks. They might not have gotten the QB they had hoped for but since McCarthy was never really asked to be a passing QB can we truly grade him on that. Obviously Michigan was a strong team overall but 27-1 is nothing to sneeze at as a starter. Like you I don't know anything about Turner but I haven't seen anyone giving him a bad grade so I will assume that he was a good pick. Again an A grade does not surprise me with 2 top 20 picks BUT, they gave up a lot to get them. That has to be factored in eventually.

The Bears have 2 picks left although you might look at it as they only have 2 chances to screw it up and with the two guys they got they will really have to mess up to bring the average down.

The vikings have 5 picks but none tonight and 4 are in rounds 6 and 7 tomorrow.

Keep in mind that the other 31 teams also apparently felt that David Bakhtiari was no better than a 4th round talent.