2024 3rd round #88 MarShawn Lloyd RB

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know nothing about this guy. But with RB depth I'm confused by this pick. We have Quadzilla and Jacobs...this guy is what 3rd on the depth chart, and we used a Day 2 pick? What am I missing here gang?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know nothing about this guy. But with RB depth I'm confused by this pick. We have Quadzilla and Jacobs...this guy is what 3rd on the depth chart, and we used a Day 2 pick? What am I missing here gang?
Anticipate something to happen in preseason.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We already have/had Jacobs, Dillon, and Emmanuel Wilson. And now, Marshawn Lloyd. Which means 1 of those 4 will have to go.

It won't be Jacobs, who we just signed for $12,000,000 a year, or Marshawn Lloyd, who we just drafted in the 3rd round. Neither of them are going anywhere.

So either Emmanual Wilson or AJ Dillon are going to be let go before the end of training camp.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jacobs is #1. Dillon is...not sure what Dillon is. Lloyd is #2 imo. A lot is said about him fumbling too much. So that has to stop. And of course he's young. If Dillon gets hurt; we still have a class rb. It seemed like his name was always on the fringe when talking heads were picking RBs but he was always there. And I think he is a long run threat.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they have a lot of faith in Wilson, Ric. This looks to be a solid pick. Wilson needed competition last year and then failed to show up when Jones went down. Dillon is a ? to even make the 53. Jacobs is certainly expected to produce but already has some miles. So this is a pretty solid pick for now and for the future.

Was it too early in the draft? Maybe. This is an underwhelming draft for RBs. Even so, I trust Gluten and his scouts.

Biggest problem with this guy is ball security. But he can catch and that's a must-have for MLF. I'd say it was a decent pick and decent value. People will disagree. It's not an exact science......

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Awesome pick! Between he and Wright I wanted Wright more, but Lloyd has better vision and can adjust through traffic laterally before exploding through. I know Jerimiah had him as the best RB in the class, so there is that.

Overall, I was really hoping we go RB in the 3rd. I don't have enough confidence in Jacobs. He had a very poor year and has a light of miles already on those legs. We needed insurance.

As far as 1, 2, 3, the best reciever and blocker is AJ. I don't think Jacobs should carry a full load. So I think we will see a healthy dose of all 3.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jacobs is #1. Dillon is...not sure what Dillon is. Lloyd is #2 imo. A lot is said about him fumbling too much. So that has to stop. And of course he's young. If Dillon gets hurt; we still have a class rb. It seemed like his name was always on the fringe when talking heads were picking RBs but he was always there. And I think he is a long run threat.
Good analysis gopkrs. Yeah this looks like a pretty good pick. They did need someone to not only spot Jacobs, but cover him for injuries, as you note. If he produces as expected he should make the #2 back and he'll hopefully spark Wilson to do something. Gluten is setting up for a very competitive training camp. That's always good.

And it's 50/50 that Dillon makes the 53, so this pick was necessary.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Awesome pick! Between he and Wright I wanted Wright more, but Lloyd has better vision and can adjust through traffic laterally before exploding through. I know Jerimiah had him as the best RB in the class, so there is that.

Overall, I was really hoping we go RB in the 3rd. I don't have enough confidence in Jacobs. He had a very poor year and has a light of miles already on those legs. We needed insurance.

As far as 1, 2, 3, the best reciever and blocker is AJ. I don't think Jacobs should carry a full load. So I think we will see a healthy dose of all 3.
Good assessment of the RB group with the addition of Lloyd. As good as Jones was, I think Gluten also learned a lesson on RB weight. Jones was 205 ish. That's just too light to absorb the beating these guys get. Jones got away with a lot by being elusive and able to accelerate. Lloyd is shorter, thicker, and maybe just as fast. Anyway I like the pick and the round.

And I have the same reservations about Jacobs. I think he'll be fine for the next year or two because of the attention being paid to the OL. Morgan is a solid run blocker as well as pass protector. And more O linemen will be added this weekend. There are still a lot of very good iOL on the board.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We already have/had Jacobs, Dillon, and Emmanuel Wilson. And now, Marshawn Lloyd. Which means 1 of those 4 will have to go.

It won't be Jacobs, who we just signed for $12,000,000 a year, or Marshawn Lloyd, who we just drafted in the 3rd round. Neither of them are going anywhere.

So either Emmanual Wilson or AJ Dillon are going to be let go before the end of training camp.
Good assessment. They won't carry 4 RBs on the 53. My guess is that Wilson will be designated for the PS. But training camp will tell if that happens or if they just cut Dillon or Wilson. I don't know if they have any RBs on the current PS.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO. Dillon would have to crap the bed to not make the 53. He is the most experienced in the system. If he shows signs of being successful at the HBack role he is an absolute steal at his price. IMO.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO. Dillon would have to crap the bed to not make the 53. He is the most experienced in the system. If he shows signs of being successful at the HBack role he is an absolute steal at his price. IMO.
Yeah I mean he really only had one weak season in 2023. I expect he’ll be on the 53.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Good assessment. They won't carry 4 RBs on the 53. My guess is that Wilson will be designated for the PS. But training camp will tell if that happens or if they just cut Dillon or Wilson. I don't know if they have any RBs on the current PS.
There is no current PS. Everyone has the same roster status right now until the week before the season starts.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Imo, there is absolutely no way Gutekunst is going to leave Love back there without at least 1 RB on the active roster that knows the playbook and is a proven blocker and receiver. That would be the dumbest thing ever imo. My greatest fear is that Dillon gets hurt in preseason.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no current PS. Everyone has the same roster status right now until the week before the season starts.
Thanks Pike. I didn't realize it but of course it makes sense. Start out with 90 guys and end up with a 53 man roster and the PS. And the players have to clear waivers first and then come back to be assigned to the PS, I think.

While we're on the subject, how many guys can be carried on the PS?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imo, there is absolutely no way Gutekunst is going to leave Love back there without at least 1 RB on the active roster that knows the playbook and is a proven blocker and receiver. That would be the dumbest thing ever imo. My greatest fear is that Dillon gets hurt in preseason.
Dillon would be worthy of a roster spot if that is all he did. Seems like Dillon had one bad season (last year) and now there's talk about whether or not he makes the 53. But other than Wilson and rookie Lloyd, who else do they have? DeGuarra was a decent blocker and could fill in as a FB, but he's gone.

Anyway to your point, they may want to add a bruiser later in the draft for insurance should Dillon get hurt. Problem is those guys are rare. The FB position is going the way of the dinosaur.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Pike. I didn't realize it but of course it makes sense. Start out with 90 guys and end up with a 53 man roster and the PS. And the players have to clear waivers first and then come back to be assigned to the PS, I think.

While we're on the subject, how many guys can be carried on the PS?
I think it is 16 now. Could be wrong

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is talking about him (Dillon) not making the 53??? What drunk or high content creators are saying this?

The same folks that claimed Morgan wasn’t a Packer type prospect I assume….

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they have a lot of faith in Wilson, Ric. This looks to be a solid pick. Wilson needed competition last year and then failed to show up when Jones went down. Dillon is a ? to even make the 53. Jacobs is certainly expected to produce but already has some miles. So this is a pretty solid pick for now and for the future.

Was it too early in the draft? Maybe. This is an underwhelming draft for RBs. Even so, I trust Gluten and his scouts.

Biggest problem with this guy is ball security. But he can catch and that's a must-have for MLF. I'd say it was a decent pick and decent value. People will disagree. It's not an exact science......
Let him take his licks in preseason and test his ball security. Nothing to lose then.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
To me, Lloyd's upside, best outcome is Josh Jacobs with more long speed. So it's funny that he's now the RB2. I like it in that he brings some long speed and the offense won't need to change if/when Jacobs misses time.