2024 1st Rd pick #25 Jorden Morgan OL

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's worth posting this doofus (sorry if any of you are related) because he was the face of the fan base last night - for better or worse.

I am always fine with the Packers making a sensible pick. We all know that they needed a good OT and they got one. Now they've got four picks tonight and should be able to address some of the positions of need. Yee haw
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
He probably would have been going crazy and jumping up and down in excitement, if it was a WR or RB that the Packers drafted, no matter what the name.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably was pimping some player, maybe DeJean, and taunting his buddies on how the Packers were going to dominate everyone with DeJean. Maybe a little to much bravado and know-it-all-Ness that he was embarrassed when it didnt go the way he promised. That was my first take.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Probably was pimping some player, maybe DeJean, and taunting his buddies on how the Packers were going to dominate everyone with DeJean. Maybe a little to much bravado and know-it-all-Ness that he was embarrassed when it didnt go the way he promised. That was my first take.
Your first take just might be the right take. Nice observation Amish

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On more thought on this ^

Many people on X have pointed out that Morgan got dominated by Bralen Trice against Washington, but then turned around and dominated Laiatu Latu against UCLA. Well look at the dates:

They played UW on 9/30/23.

They played UCLA on 11/4/23.

So perhaps the difference was mostly due to Morgan getting back to his true level of play post-injury.
Interesting perspective. Logical too. It's also very possible that's what Gute and his staff concluded as well.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gutey says he has left tackle feet..if that's worth anything, I think he will be given every chance to be the starter at left tackle.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Gutey says he has left tackle feet..if that's worth anything, I think he will be given every chance to be the starter at left tackle.
I agree, I think he will lineup/compete in camp at Tackle first. When all is said and done, he may lineup at Guard when the season starts, but he was drafted to be a Tackle

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Dantés has broken it down a lot and I’m planting trees currently so on phone and will be unable to grab stats or spreadsheets but essentially that person clearly is clueless on Packer type OL.
That has become sooo damned common the last few years, I hardly ever pay any attention anymore at all to out of town "journalists" who weigh in as expert authorities on teams halfway across the country. They just blurt **** out so they have something to say, and they say it really loudly so people think they're smart.

I actually still saw someone today saying this was a good pick because Green Bay has a "gaping hole at left tackle" now that Bakhtiari is gone, and as recently as the last few weeks I've seen draft sites seeing tackle is a need "in case we don't resign Bakhtiari".

You just can't take these peoiple seriously anymore.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He probably would have been going crazy and jumping up and down in excitement, if it was a WR or RB that the Packers drafted, no matter what the name.
That would have been extremely silly, and thank goodness they didn't, now I expect them to improve the defense over the course of this weekend.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
That has become sooo damned common the last few years, I hardly ever pay any attention anymore at all to out of town "journalists" who weigh in as expert authorities on teams halfway across the country. They just blurt **** out so they have something to say, and they say it really loudly so people think they're smart.

I actually still saw someone today saying this was a good pick because Green Bay has a "gaping hole at left tackle" now that Bakhtiari is gone, and as recently as the last few weeks I've seen draft sites seeing tackle is a need "in case we don't resign Bakhtiari".

You just can't take these peoiple seriously anymore.
I saw a review on "X" this morning on the Morgan pick. The guy said the Packers had trouble at RT last yr and needed to draft a player to fill that hole. I posted this in his replies, and he never responded. :coffee:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
LOL....just realized I a had Morgan going to the Packers in RD. 2 fir the Amish contest. However, posted his school as BYU.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Tony Pauline reported that Washington tried to trade back into the first round to take Morgan. Jerry Jones said that Morgan was on their short list of players for their first pick. The Packers actually chose Morgan at #25 when, reportedly, they had trade down offers. All of that carries a lot more weight to me than where the consensus board had him.
So what you're telling me is he wasn't a reach?:whistling:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So what you're telling me is he wasn't a reach?:whistling:

He's only a reach if you think that the NFL draft is a pre-planned event with the consensus board being the script and the media being the ones who get to determine who should go where and not the actual teams who have the scouting departments and make the picks.

Reaction score
Really reminds me of the Lukas Van Ness pick last year. Not a **** pick, probably will not be a major contributor in his first season or two and was taken over the fan favorite.

However, like with the LVN pick last year, the more I read about this pick, the more I like it, and I am probably higher on this pick than most.

I was not the biggest fan of taking an OL in the first round (unless one of the top ones dropped), but that was because with the exception of maybe Graham Barton, I didn't like the prospects projected to go around pick 25 and that were projected to GB with pick 25.

I also don't think it was much of a reach because we picked at the end of the first round, and he was projected to go early in the second.

I personally think he will be our starting left tackle of the future; Bill Belichick and some draft experts, scouts, and commentators seem to think so. He also has that experience in college. I think those who say he can't be a left tackle are only saying that because of his shorter arms, but I think he has the traits and technique/aspects of his game to make up for the shorter arm length. Plus, we are better than most teams at developing o linemen to their full potential.

However, even if he is not a LT, I think he is another Zack Tom, who can help out at guard immediately.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I feel Gute had his sights set on Morgan and Cooper with the first 2 picks, and this order was the best way to make that happen without trading assets away to get Morgan, if he flipped the picks. Not to mention, it has been reported a couple teams were hoping to draft Morgan in the first rd.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Why He Will Succeed: From what I've seen, Morgan has really nimble feet and moves incredibly well for his size. The Packers have had a lot of success with tackles who have sub-standard length. If they get his technique honed in, there's no reason to think he can't be another success.

Why He Would Fail: If Morgan's hand placement doesn't improve, NFL defenders are going to make a living getting into his chest and dumping him in the QB's lap. That would necessitate a move inside, where he's unproven.

My Guess: I think Morgan will compete with Walker at LT, will win the job, and will be the Packers' left tackle for the foreseeable future.

Upside Comp: I think Morgan could be the left tackle version of Bryan Bulaga.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why He Will Succeed: From what I've seen, Morgan has really nimble feet and moves incredibly well for his size. The Packers have had a lot of success with tackles who have sub-standard length. If they get his technique honed in, there's no reason to think he can't be another success.

Why He Would Fail: If Morgan's hand placement doesn't improve, NFL defenders are going to make a living getting into his chest and dumping him in the QB's lap. That would necessitate a move inside, where he's unproven.

My Guess: I think Morgan will compete with Walker at LT, will win the job, and will be the Packers' left tackle for the foreseeable future.

Your last line is precisely what I’ve seen as a strong comp if he hits his ceiling.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No matter who plays which side I think it's Walker and Morgan at Tackle.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walker improved a lot last year. And especially in the 2nd half of the season. I don't know, but I doubt he transitions to a guard. And so it would be pretty much of a waste to put Morgan at L tackle. And I don't know if Walker would be good at R tackle. If Morgan can play R guard, I can see putting him there and he would move to tackle only if Walker regresses. For that matter Jenkins needs to get back to his old form or L guard is also a possibility for Morgan.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walker improved a lot last year. And especially in the 2nd half of the season. I don't know, but I doubt he transitions to a guard. And so it would be pretty much of a waste to put Morgan at L tackle. And I don't know if Walker would be good at R tackle. If Morgan can play R guard, I can see putting him there and he would move to tackle only if Walker regresses. For that matter Jenkins needs to get back to his old form or L guard is also a possibility for Morgan.
Look at the PFF ( not that I put that much stock in it ) for our linemen last season. That will tell us how each position/ blocker graded out and where we need the most improvement. It is all relative.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts