2024 1st Rd pick #25 Jorden Morgan OL

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Originally I did not like the pick, not that I did not like Morgan but I felt the way the board went DeJean or Kool-Aid should be the call. Taking a look at possible guys at 41& 58 I am now starting to warm up to the pick. Hoping they go DB here. S- posters on here seem to like DeJean at 41,along with Hicks and Bishop at 58 the pundits like Nubin at 41 and Bullard at 58. CB - posters seem to like Kool-Aid, at 41 pundits also like Rakestraw and Lassiter. At 58- CBs people here seem to like Melton while the pundits like Tampa and Sainristil. OL left (You have to count Morgan) plus Suamatala at 41 and Rosengarten at 58. from on here, pundits at 41- JPJ at 58 - Beebe, Paul, Haynes, Frazier. I like the DB group more than the OL group.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is one player that I was not familiar with. But from your responses it sounds like he may be helpful. As usual Gutey does the unexpected.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I honestly didn't think they would go OL in the first Rd, but if they did, I was hoping it would be Morgan. He is a "Packers" OL through and through, and had been getting some momentum on getting back in the end of the 1st rd of mock drafts the last couple weeks. Plus, that will give me 4 pts in the Amish Mock contest, as I had him in the 1st rd of mine.

Not only that, on "X" Zach Kruse asked a question.... here was my answer, and guess I live another day.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Bragger.

Ok smarty pants, who are the 2 picks in the 2nd round gonna be??? :whistling:

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Bragger.

Well... I didn't get anything right last year, so I had to save a little face. ;) I also didn't have time to research anything last year, as I was working 6-7 days a week. After 35 years with the same company, and burned out beyond anything you could imagine, I retired from that company 2 months ago. Needless to say, I was able to put a good amount of time into this draft. As for 2nd Rd picks today... I can definitely see us trading up a few spots to start the day, if so, I think DeJean or Kool-Aid in that scenario. If they stay pat, I think both those guys are gone by #41 and I think Rakestraw is in play, along with a front 7 player. Those are my thoughts for Rd 2

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bragger.

And what are tonight's Powerball numbers? I know you're keeping the jackpot winner for yourself so I won't ask for those. Just the first 5.

King of Jeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good pick. I wasn't as concerned about the OL when we had Rodgers because I always thought one of his biggest problems was he always had too much time to throw in the later years. But Love will really benefit from better protection and increased vision. Hope they keep the momentum in the following rounds

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For Tiny specifically but anyone feel free to chime in. There was a post where you said Morgan was a guy to watch for and you said something along the lines of him being a Packer type guy. In a recent article I read several national experts grades of the Morgan pick (most were not too high on it) one guy said specifically that he did not fit any of the Packer standards for the OL. He didn't go into specifics but it seems to go directly against what you said regarding him being a Packer type player. Just wondering if you could maybe expound on that.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't play Powerball, because it just wouldn't be fair to the rest of you who do:coffee:
I only play when people like you give me the winning numbers. Although I am starting think they are either lying to me or maybe they don't really know.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's worth posting this doofus (sorry if any of you are related) because he was the face of the fan base last night - for better or worse.

I am always fine with the Packers making a sensible pick. We all know that they needed a good OT and they got one. Now they've got four picks tonight and should be able to address some of the positions of need. Yee haw

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
It's worth posting this doofus (sorry if any of you are related) because he was the face of the fan base last night - for better or worse.

I am always fine with the Packers making a sensible pick. We all know that they needed a good OT and they got one. Now they've got four picks tonight and should be able to address some of the positions of need. Yee haw
I think it's funny that he is wearing a Jordan Love jersey... the very person that Morgan is going to try to keep upright and healthy, possibly from his blindside

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For Tiny specifically but anyone feel free to chime in. There was a post where you said Morgan was a guy to watch for and you said something along the lines of him being a Packer type guy. In a recent article I read several national experts grades of the Morgan pick (most were not too high on it) one guy said specifically that he did not fit any of the Packer standards for the OL. He didn't go into specifics but it seems to go directly against what you said regarding him being a Packer type player. Just wondering if you could maybe expound on that.
Media pick up on team drafting trends, or statements from GMs and coaches, about what traits they like at each position. One trait that most teams like for an OT is long arms. That is one of the biggest knocks on Morgan is that his arms are just under 33" long.

At the same time, many national experts expect that Morgan can either play tackle or guard. That is a Packer type player, one who can play multiple positions along the line.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Dantés has broken it down a lot and I’m planting trees currently so on phone and will be unable to grab stats or spreadsheets but essentially that person clearly is clueless on Packer type OL.

The ONLY trait of Morgan that is atypical is only atypical for us to put him at Tackle is his arm length.

However he checked nearly every other box from height, weight, power 5 multi year starter AND significantly good starter, athleticism and technique that translates to a very moveable piece.

He literally is a shorter armed Tom or Jenkins IMO….so if Morgan wasn’t a Packer type at least nearly 100% than I haven’t cracked all the trends we tend to pick.

Many, myself included, didn’t toss Morgan off my Packer board due to his arms, it actually given loss of Runyan and Rhyan not a clear answer circle him almost due to if he isn’t a tackle he for sure is an elite guard build for sure - prospect wise, doesn’t mean he will succeed but all indicators are there

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Media pick up on team drafting trends, or statements from GMs and coaches, about what traits they like at each position. One trait that most teams like for an OT is long arms. That is one of the biggest knocks on Morgan is that his arms are just under 33" long.

At the same time, many national experts expect that Morgan can either play tackle or guard. That is a Packer type player, one who can play multiple positions along the line.
I think since he is so close to the 33" Arms (32 7/8) they over looked that. Plus he has a 81 3/8 wingspan

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Since Gutekunst became the Director of Scouting in 2012, the Packers have selected 18 offensive linemen in the draft.

13 were tackles in college, 4 were centers, and 1 was a guard.

Only 2 were 6'6" or taller (both 7th round picks) and only one was 6'3". All others were in the 6040-6055 range.

The heaviest player drafted by them during that span was 321# and the lightest was 296. Everyone else was in a pretty tight span: 299-315.

Every player had 32" inch arms.

The highest 3C was 7.91 and only 2 guys were 7.80+; the highest SS was 4.88 and only 2 were 4.80+.

They also seem to prioritize the broad jump for all positions and like guys to be in the 80th% or higher for their spot on the field.

Now look at Morgan:

College left tackle, 6050, 311 lbs, 32.88" arms, 93rd% broad jump, but no agility testing.

So aside from missing his agilities, he's totally the prototype. Furthermore, on tape he has light feet and excels in the zone run game. I don't know who it was that said he didn't fit their standards, but he clearly didn't know what he was talking about. That's not surprising by the way. Most Packer fans who closely follow the draft have a better grip on Green Bay's approach and standards than national media types who are trying to cover the entire league.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have had Morgan listed as one of my favored offensive linemen if it wasn't for his injury. I had him 5th on my list anyhow. I think people are going to be surprised at how he develops. He has a good punch on his blocks, and is hard to move. My only concern is that darned ACL injury he had. It's always a red flag.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I would have had Morgan listed as one of my favored offensive linemen if it wasn't for his injury. I had him 5th on my list anyhow. I think people are going to be surprised at how he develops. He has a good punch on his blocks, and is hard to move. My only concern is that darned ACL injury he had. It's always a red flag.
The positive is he came back from that injury, played the whole year, and improved his PFF grade from the prior year.... a year he would have entered the NFL Draft, if not for that injury.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Some other random thoughts:

-Often in the NFL it's the *person* who succeeds or busts, not the prospect. Obviously you have to be talented and being more talented helps tremendously, but talented guys who lack commitment or maturity or intelligence often fail. This is an aspect of the process that we have very limited exposure to, but it's the reason why teams are trying to get around these players as much as possible. Listening to Morgan, he sounds very intelligent and mature. His OC at Arizona called him a fantastic role model within the program. He's put on 60 pounds of good weight while in Tuscon, which is no easy feat. He also played at a high level coming off an ACL repair, which says a lot about how he attacked his rehab.

-A common pattern in the NFL is that players come back ~10-12 months after an ACL tear, but they don't get back to their peak for more like ~20-24 months. Morgan tore his ACL in November of 2022 and then started every game in 2023. That is astounding. It also probably means that what people saw on tape in 2023 is not his peak.

-The Packers like players with this profile because they have options. Players like Mims or Guyton have one pathway: tackle. If they can't succeed there, they just wash out. There's no safety net of position versatility. But at 6050, 311# Morgan can move around. That versatility adds value to the team and it gives him options. If he doesn't ever get the hand placement right at tackle, he can still add value as a guard. If the biggest immediate need is RG, he can fill it. If it's LT or RT, he can fill it. When you draft versatile players, it becomes much easier to solve problems.

-Offensive line is a highly technical position. So much of success on the line is having refined and repeatable technique. What's relatively easy for people to do is watch a guy on tape and recognize some basic problems (clicking heels, crossing feet, late hands, wide hands, weak strike, oversetting, etc.). What's hard for outsiders, however, is to know what's more correctable and what's less correctable. The Packers' FO will have a pretty good idea of how to adjust Morgan so that he's more successful.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Some other random thoughts:

-Often in the NFL it's the *person* who succeeds or busts, not the prospect. Obviously you have to be talented and being more talented helps tremendously, but talented guys who lack commitment or maturity or intelligence often fail. This is an aspect of the process that we have very limited exposure to, but it's the reason why teams are trying to get around these players as much as possible. Listening to Morgan, he sounds very intelligent and mature. His OC at Arizona called him a fantastic role model within the program. He's put on 60 pounds of good weight while in Tuscon, which is no easy feat. He also played at a high level coming off an ACL repair, which says a lot about how he attacked his rehab.

-A common pattern in the NFL is that players come back ~10-12 months after an ACL tear, but they don't get back to their peak for more like ~20-24 months. Morgan tore his ACL in November of 2022 and then started every game in 2023. That is astounding. It also probably means that what people saw on tape in 2023 is not his peak.

-The Packers like players with this profile because they have options. Players like Mims or Guyton have one pathway: tackle. If they can't succeed there, they just wash out. There's no safety net of position versatility. But at 6050, 311# Morgan can move around. That versatility adds value to the team and it gives him options. If he doesn't ever get the hand placement right at tackle, he can still add value as a guard. If the biggest immediate need is RG, he can fill it. If it's LT or RT, he can fill it. When you draft versatile players, it becomes much easier to solve problems.

-Offensive line is a highly technical position. So much of success on the line is having refined and repeatable technique. What's relatively easy for people to do is watch a guy on tape and recognize some basic problems (clicking heels, crossing feet, late hands, wide hands, weak strike, oversetting, etc.). What's hard for outsiders, however, is to know what's more correctable and what's less correctable. The Packers' FO will have a pretty good idea of how to adjust Morgan so that he's more successful.

On more thought on this ^

Many people on X have pointed out that Morgan got dominated by Bralen Trice against Washington, but then turned around and dominated Laiatu Latu against UCLA. Well look at the dates:

They played UW on 9/30/23.

They played UCLA on 11/4/23.

So perhaps the difference was mostly due to Morgan getting back to his true level of play post-injury.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seahawks went with a DT. And several others went with edge rushers.
I didn't say zero, just that it was lower than expected. No biggie, but it was only 8 in total, with all the DB's available, the pick numbers were just lower than I initially expected. I didn't expect it to be to edge rusher heavy in the first round.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think another thing that can be added to why Morgan was on their radar, is he was a captain for 2 years. Leaders are so important on the field and off.
In the buildup to the draft here in Chicago on talk radio one of the guests who was a former F/O guy (not with the Bears) was asked what are the intangibles that teams look for. The very 1st thing he said stuck with me. "We wanted guys who loved playing Football. IMO GB also has this philosophy.